BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

4 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

I don’t mind him wanting to know the character of the player before signing them. He seems to really want that connection. Which makes it even more odd that he signed off the Brereton transfer with no prior interaction based on a growing reputation and a good game against us...will come back to bite him that one. 

You find a positive in glaringly obvious negatives....of course it's a problem and we are suffering as a team.

17 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes Rhodes was 35k a week along with Murphy, Etuhu. 

Did it cause problems? I don't know but that was 4 years ago. 

Lower league in Germany? it is the second division in Germany same as Championship is the 2nd division in England. 

seemingly penniless? we aren't but we have to get rid of the players we don't want to bring in others. Cant keep collecting players after players. Are we going to be spending 4 or 5 million pounds on 1 player? But we can still make signings and target players who are good players but out of contract in the summer. 

Mowbray said we don't have warchest for signings but we can still make signings

We don't know what we give either players signing in fees. 

Rangers, West Brom, Brentford and Nottingham Forest all reported interest in him. So we cant competed wages wise either. 

You are totally wrong there as I respect everyone views actually. 

I would like to draw a line under this and move on. Agree?

The only problem we got from paying Rhodes £40,000 I believe it was, was that we actually signed someone to score goals..wait that's not a problem actually, is it?

No we don't know specifically, but we can make estimates. It's gas how you use the "we don't have evidence" line when it suits you, but then you proceed to throw out guesses, speculation and estimates yourself on a daily basis! 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

I don’t mind him wanting to know the character of the player before signing them. He seems to really want that connection. Which makes it even more odd that he signed off the Brereton transfer with no prior interaction based on a growing reputation and a good game against us...will come back to bite him that one. 

God, you make it sound like he's made one bad signing and lots of brilliant ones, not one brilliant one and lots of terrible ones. It won't just be the Brereton signing that comes back to haunt him (and us) it will be his appalling recruitment overall.

You can carry out your research on a player's character and find out what you want to know without him having played for you before. I remember reading that Man Ure did their due diligence on Chris Sutton whilst he was here and decided against signing him due to his excesses off the pitch.

I also remember joking a while ago that to be a target for Mowbray the player must either have played for him before, played for Boro, or both (Chapman) 

I was joking at the time but it seems it's not that far wide of the mark. Combined with his reluctance to move on, or improve upon, his existing players and it's no wonder his recruitment is so abysmal.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

God, you make it sound like he's made one bad signing and lots of brilliant ones, not one brilliant one and lots of terrible ones. It won't just be the Brereton signing that comes back to haunt him (and us) it will be his appalling recruitment overall.

You can carry out your research on a player's character and find out what you want to know without him having played for you before. I remember reading that Man Ure did their due diligence on Chris Sutton whilst he was here and decided against signing him due to his excesses off the pitch.

I also remember joking a while ago that to be a target for Mowbray the player must either have played for him before, played for Boro, or both (Chapman) 

I was joking at the time but it seems it's not that far wide of the mark. Combined with his reluctance to move on, or improve upon, his existing players and it's no wonder his recruitment is so abysmal.

I think he has made about 50/50 good and bad, the problem is some of the good ones aren't performing due to Mowbrays meddling with line-ups, dropping players who are doing well for no reason other than to keep others happy. If I played for him, I would think he's going to drop me regardless of what I do. Unless you are one of his favourites. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JoeH said:

I don't like having a keeper too old as first choice, they start to not be able to get down to stuff. It becomes difficult. Both Raya and Walton may make awful mistakes, but shot stopping wise, they can't be too harshly judged. Bialkowski is good now, but it won't be long before he channels his inner Paul Robinson at the end of his Rovers career.

Not sure that is a fair comparison necessarily; Robinson even at his peak often had an issue with long shots but that was made so much worse following his long spell out following complications with a back operation he had, subsequently getting a blood clot and putting on quite a bit of weight. Somewhat of a unique situation.

I am not sure that Walton is a particularly good shot stopper to be fair, Raya had good reflexes but I dont think Waltons compare.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

From Rich Sharpe

Mowbray expects talks over a permanent Mulgrew move to step up this month https://t.co/o3yz1urP6q

Dont get why these conversations waited until January to be honest, if we are dependant on shipping players out especially in Mulgrews case one already out on loan it would have surely been a better plan to have these discussions and finalise any potential permanent move in advance of the window. Poor planning.

Mowbray doesnt seem to see transfer business as an urgent matter based on those quotes, downplaying expectations. But he does mention players settling in which is why the Schmidt rumour in particular doesnt tally up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Definitely agree on the strangeness and costliness of the Brereton deal. But you are massively limiting yourselves when you are so keen to sign players you have worked with or know from the past. They tend to be the type of signings you make when you just have taken over a side and need 1 or 2 that you can trust to help to rebuild. 3 years in we should be far more creative and proactive than that. Signing Gallagher sums up Mowbrays transfer limitations, a poor player who hasnt improved us but of course has played for Mowbray in the past. He said last year that he was interested in Lucas Joao, a player who ended up being dropped under him last time!

• Like 1

Um if MGP is looking for a club and is training with us why the hell are we not offering him a temporary contract? I have no idea what shape he is in but anyone at this point will be better than playing our target man as a winger. 

6 minutes ago, Mr. E said:

Um if MGP is looking for a club and is training with us why the hell are we not offering him a temporary contract? I have no idea what shape he is in but anyone at this point will be better than playing our target man as a winger. 

I was thinking the same thing as a lot of others! It's a fairy tale ending to his career. It would boost gates too! This is what we need.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Definitely agree on the strangeness and costliness of the Brereton deal. But you are massively limiting yourselves when you are so keen to sign players you have worked with or know from the past. They tend to be the type of signings you make when you just have taken over a side and need 1 or 2 that you can trust to help to rebuild. 3 years in we should be far more creative and proactive than that. Signing Gallagher sums up Mowbrays transfer limitations, a poor player who hasnt improved us but of course has played for Mowbray in the past. He said last year that he was interested in Lucas Joao, a player who ended up being dropped under him last time!

I think you have a point re the limitations. However, you should consider why the manager opts for lads he knows. I’m not privy to the info but it’s fairly well known that the scouting network was decimated over the Kean tenure. That has been developed again but is far from working well, yet.

I found out some stuff re the Brereton deal yesterday and it’s mental how that transfer was ever signed off.

Safe to say, I do understand why the manager is going off his own personal contacts.

I don't think Evans will go this month. Stoke City's Rich Sharpe types all seem to think its not a goer, and ever Alan Nixon, who reports everyone leaving everywhere is saying it's not something he think will happen.

35 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

So no one knows who we are buying or selling !!

Probably a good job too, TM is probably down to plan F already. Struggling to get an answer back from Tuncay and Grant Leadbitter last I heard.

I think you have a point re the limitations. However, you should consider why the manager opts for lads he knows. I’m not privy to the info but it’s fairly well known that the scouting network was decimated over the Kean tenure. That has been developed again but is far from working well, yet.

I found out some stuff re the Brereton deal yesterday and it’s mental how that transfer was ever signed off.

Safe to say, I do understand why the manager is going off his own personal contacts.

I always suspected this signing wasn't  totally mowbrays but was told categorically from someone I trust that it was 100% TM signing not so sure myself

Linked with Glen Whelan again I read.Had a big fall out with Stendel at Hearts.  If we managed to offload Evans and Smallwood I would take him on a free, but he shouldn't be a starter, nor would he be. Great pro and good to have around with his experience. Would be relatively cheap at this stage and would allow us to focus cash money on other areas. Maybe with a view to coaching, we have a lot of young midfielders who could learn from him. He certainly has a pretty decent career behind him , in the last 15 years he has played 10 seasons at Premier league level and 5 at Championship level with almost 100 international appearances. 

Ha ha, I sound like his agent. He has gotten a rough time off Ireland fans over the years, myself included, but from reading from ex-managers it's clear now what he brings. He's still starting for Big Mick and probably will again against Slovakia in March. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Maybe if I were involved in elite sport I’d be more cynical like you pal? ?

What's your problem Paul?  Someone happens to love/support rovers  just happens to be involved in a high standard of junior/youth football, thinks that his team who he supports don't do enough in-depth local scouting, what's your problem with that? Why do you try mocking,  cant fathom you out.  

An example, our 13s are playing this Saturday v Preston Schoolboys.  30 of the best schoolboys in the preston/south ribble area all on one pitch at the same time.   I've got 2 scouts coming.....Bolton and Everton, not me chasing, them asking me where/when.  Why are rovers not there?

You can mock all you want but I know the truth and we are getting beaten locally to the best kids.  

Edited by Sparks Rover
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, JoeH said:

Adam Armstrong - Played with TM at Coventry City
Richie Smallwood - Played with TM at Middlesbrough
Sam Gallagher - Played with TM at Blackburn Rovers
Harry Chapman - Played at Middlesbrough
Jordan Jones (potential signing) - Played with TM at Middlesbrough
Jayson Leutwiler - Played with TM at Middlesbrough
Marvin Emnes (signed on loan under TM) - Played with TM at Middlesbrough.
Stuart Downing - Played at Middlesbrough

Christ even Jacob Butterfield came and trialed for two weeks in the summer and he played with TM in that 2013 Middlesbrough squad!

It's so pathetic how over half of our transfer business is TM scrolling through his contact list of former players and going... "yeah", "maybe", "yeah I'll give him a call'.

So my new picks for Jan/Summer:

Britt Assombalonga
Paddy McNair
Rudy Gestede
Djed Spence
Adam Reach (played with TM at Boro in 13/14)

So we only signed 6 players that Mowbray. So about 20% of his signings in total. Hardly news breaking

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

Dont get why these conversations waited until January to be honest, if we are dependant on shipping players out especially in Mulgrews case one already out on loan it would have surely been a better plan to have these discussions and finalise any potential permanent move in advance of the window. Poor planning.

Mowbray doesnt seem to see transfer business as an urgent matter based on those quotes, downplaying expectations. But he does mention players settling in which is why the Schmidt rumour in particular doesnt tally up.

Maybe Wigan wanted to see what funds they got or whether they can sign. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

Linked with Glen Whelan again I read.Had a big fall out with Stendel at Hearts.  

No thanks. Far too old. 

• Like 2