BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

• Moderation Lead
7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Linked with Glen Whelan again I read.Had a big fall out with Stendel at Hearts.  If we managed to offload Evans and Smallwood I would take him on a free, but he shouldn't be a starter, nor would he be. Great pro and good to have around with his experience. Would be relatively cheap at this stage and would allow us to focus cash money on other areas. Maybe with a view to coaching, we have a lot of young midfielders who could learn from him. He certainly has a pretty decent career behind him , in the last 15 years he has played 10 seasons at Premier league level and 5 at Championship level with almost 100 international appearances. 

Ha ha, I sound like his agent. He has gotten a rough time off Ireland fans over the years, myself included, but from reading from ex-managers it's clear now what he brings. He's still starting for Big Mick and probably will again against Slovakia in March. 

Sure he’s been good, but we really don’t need any more old and slow midfielders....

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

So we only signed 6 players that Mowbray. So about 20% of his signings in total. Hardly news breaking

No thanks. Far too old. 

if 6 players is 20%, that means Mowbray would have signed 30 players-is that right? Or just speculation ? 

Same age as Downing, although I will admit I wouldn't be expecting that level of performance. 

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

So we only signed 6 players that Mowbray. So about 20% of his signings in total. Hardly news breaking

Find me another Championship manager, who relies so heavily on his former players for his transfer business and I'll be happy to concede. Mogga consistently goes after former Boro, Coventry and West Brom players. He has done it at previous clubs to Rovers, and has continued that trend here. I'm aware its not news breaking, but it's not news purely because we all already knew about it, not because it isn't important to note.

For me, to rely so heavily on former contacts is worrisome, considering the amount supposedly being spent on improving our current scouting system, and widening our scope.

We've gone from signing players all round the country (all be it not very successfully, as our relegation to L1 showed) to now only signing Tony's faves from previous clubs. There's only Ben Brereton he's spent any decent money on that wasn't his in the past, and even that sounds like it wasn't his decision!

Edited by JoeH

8 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Linked with Glen Whelan again I read.Had a big fall out with Stendel at Hearts.  If we managed to offload Evans and Smallwood I would take him on a free, but he shouldn't be a starter, nor would he be. Great pro and good to have around with his experience. Would be relatively cheap at this stage and would allow us to focus cash money on other areas. Maybe with a view to coaching, we have a lot of young midfielders who could learn from him. He certainly has a pretty decent career behind him , in the last 15 years he has played 10 seasons at Premier league level and 5 at Championship level with almost 100 international appearances. 

Ha ha, I sound like his agent. He has gotten a rough time off Ireland fans over the years, myself included, but from reading from ex-managers it's clear now what he brings. He's still starting for Big Mick and probably will again against Slovakia in March. 

Whelan?? goodness me have you seen him for Hearts this season no thank, bring him in as a coach by all means but not in any playing capacity

• Like 1

Just now, JoeH said:

Find me another Championship manager, who relies so heavily on his former players for his transfer business and I'll be happy to concede. Mogga consistently goes after former Boro, Coventry and West Brom players. He has done it at previous clubs to Rovers, and has continued that trend here. I'm aware its not news breaking, but it's not news purely because we all already knew about it, not because it isn't important to note.

For me, to rely so heavily on former contacts is worrisome, considering the amount supposedly being spent on improving our current scouting system, and widening our scope.

We've gone from signing players all round the country (all be it not very successfully, as our relegation to L1 showed) to now only signing Tony's faves from previous clubs. There's on Ben Brereton he's spent any decent money on that wasn't his in the past, and even that sounds like it wasn't his decision!

Warnock for one

• Like 1

Just now, K-Hod said:

Sure he’s been good, but we really don’t need any more old and slow midfielders....

I'd say he could probably do better than what we have seen of Johnson. 

Really we just need a partner for Travis. So ,as it stands, we already have a good few options. None ideal though. I wouldn't say Whelan would be the answer either, I would be thinking more in a coaching capacity. 

Just now, PeteJD13 said:

Warnock for one

Another dinosaur, past his expiry date, who's finishing at the end of the season. He's not somebody we should be happy to the follow suit of.

1 minute ago, PeteJD13 said:

Whelan?? goodness me have you seen him for Hearts this season no thank, bring him in as a coach by all means but not in any playing capacity

No, I haven't but I read he got MOM in 5 of their 8 home games 

I would agree abut bringing him as a coach with limited, if any game time 

9 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Would have made sense to wait for Gallagher then, we would have £6 million extra and its not like we would have missed Brereton. Bizzare signing. 

I agree

9 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Chaddy you keep posting stuff like it's fact. We're not privy to what actually goes on.

Think it's fairly well know that Gallagher was his 1st choice that summer. Anyway that's 18 months ago

• Moderation Lead
4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Really we just need a partner for Travis. So ,as it stands, we already have a good few options. None ideal though. I wouldn't say Whelan would be the answer either, I would be thinking more in a coaching capacity. 

I can’t say I agree tbh. I also think many of our fans have been overly harsh re Johnson so far, but that’s another debate.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, K-Hod said:

I can’t say I agree tbh. I also think many of our fans have been overly harsh re Johnson so far, but that’s another debate.

No, I like Johnson, but he has missed far too many games, for whatever reason. On his day he is great, I just had very high hopes for him as I think we missed someone with his attributes for a long time. Hopefully we see more of it for the last 20 games. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Evans playing alongside Travis is far from the weakest part of our team to be fair. Evans has shown competence there, whereas we are lacking up front, in net, at left back and then at centre back and out wide. Central midfield is potentially our strongest area!

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I agree

Think it's fairly well know that Gallagher was his 1st choice that summer. Anyway that's 18 months ago

To be fair, we shouldnt have gone near either player. Both dreadful!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

See absolutely no point in losing our best defensive midfielder for someone who isn't any better and much older.

Paddy McNair would be a better signing.

• Like 1

There's more than a touch of irony to it that a club that makes no effort to extend its reach beyond town boundaries, makes no serious efforts to tap into foreign markets for players or income and cuts corners in virtually every aspect of its operation simultaneously has the brass neck to complain about the price of new players, small crowds and all the rest of it, without any acknowledgement that the first part above directly causes the second part.

Aim low, get low.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Evans playing alongside Travis is far from the weakest part of our team to be fair. Evans has shown competence there, whereas we are lacking up front, in net, at left back and then at centre back and out wide. Central midfield is potentially our strongest area!

To be fair, we shouldnt have gone near either player. Both dreadful!

NO, I agree. It's just if we offloaded Smallwood I would certainly take Whelan 

33 minutes ago, Vilesinner said:

See absolutely no point in losing our best defensive midfielder for someone who isn't any better and much older.

Paddy McNair would be a better signing.

It's not like for like. I'm not saying get rid of Evans, in fact yesterday I said for the fee we would get it wouldn't be worth selling him. If we offloaded Smallwood I would take Whelan 

McNair is like Maddision, someone who was mentioned here before and now fans hold him up well above his ability. 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

McNair is like Maddision, someone who was mentioned here before and now fans hold him up well above his ability. 

Maddison is top quality, and with Dack out of the picture, for free in the summer, would be my number one target if I had a say.

2 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Maddison is top quality, and with Dack out of the picture, for free in the summer, would be my number one target if I had a say.

Why has he played his entire career at League 1 level or lower if he is "top quality"? He is 26 now. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Why has he played his entire career at League 1 level or lower if he is "top quality"? He is 26 now. 

He is. Bradley Dack had never played Championship football before promotion with us, and fared just fine. He'd be better than anything we've got to fit in the "Dack" role.... and for free I don't think anybody could complain.

15 goals contributions in 21 games... it's bloody good, and he's not even in the best League One side.

Edited by JoeH

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

It's not like for like. I'm not saying get rid of Evans, in fact yesterday I said for the fee we would get it wouldn't be worth selling him. If we offloaded Smallwood I would take Whelan 

Smallwood doesn't need replacing, he was already replaced and hasn't played, he should have gone in the summer it's just been delayed.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JoeH said:

He is. Bradley Dack had never played Championship football before promotion with us, and fared just fine. He'd be better than anything we've got to fit in the "Dack" role.... and for free I don't think anybody could complain.

Dack was 22 or 23 when we signed him. Maddison is 26 now. Doesn't add up. Maybe he would be ok, but why hasn't anyone taken a chance 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Dack was 22 or 23 when we signed him. Maddison is 26 now. Doesn't add up 

Bradley Dack was 25 when he first came into the Championship. Bringing Maddison in at 26, just a year older, and acting as if they're COMPLETELY different scenarios is very odd to me.

15 goal contribs in 21 games in League One, for free in the summer. He'd be great value for money! It's undeniable.

Edited by JoeH

Just now, JoeH said:

Bradley Dack was 25 when he first came into the Championship. Bringing Maddison in at 26, just a year older, and acting as if they're COMPLETELY different scenarios is very odd to me.

Dack had won League 1 player of the year TWICE at that point.

Dack signed for us at 22/23 with the understanding that he would be in the Championship the year after. Maddison is still in League 1 at 26. 

Maddison is still in League 1 at 26. 

As is well reported, Maddison has tried to leave Peterborough on several occasions, he's wanted by the likes of West Brom. I can't fathom why a player with those stats in League One, on a free, could be viewed by yourself as anything other than a great bit of business.

Just now, JoeH said:

As is well reported, Maddison has tried to leave Peterborough on several occasions, he's wanted by the likes of West Brom. I can't fathom why a player with those stats in League One, on a free, could be viewed by yourself as anything other than a great bit of business.

He must be the only player in history not to get his way and a move so! Very odd. 

Or maybe there is another reason why he hasn't moved. I have read rumours of a bad attitude.