BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

3 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

For me, this only gives evidence to the lie. If it was really the case that new players have to get up to speed with our system etc and this takes time, he wouldn't throw some players straight into the team. It tells me it is face-saving bollocks, for when he doesn't want to play someone for one of various other reasons (like one of his besties playing there, or because he has over-stocked the position, or was only buying the player as a squad filler, etc).

Different players can adapted quickly than others can. Just like any other people on normal jobs. 

Everyone need to calm down and over reacting to every little comment from Mowbray

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

For me, this only gives evidence to the lie. If it was really the case that new players have to get up to speed with our system etc and this takes time, he wouldn't throw some players straight into the team. It tells me it is face-saving bollocks, for when he doesn't want to play someone for one of various other reasons (like one of his besties playing there, or because he has over-stocked the position, or was only buying the player as a squad filler, etc).

Just trying to create excuses to justify his over zealous chopping and changing. 

Subtly baffling those who stump up the money as well probably.

7 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

A lot of assists alright. 

Not sure about your point that teams are not willing to spend big on League 1 players. We got very lucky with Dack, if I recall correctly he was meant to move to Bristol city for £2.5 million before his "little" scandal. 

Then you have this list https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/league-one/transferrekorde/wettbewerb/GB3 

Many players moving from League 1 for a lot more than £2.5 million and some a good while ago. 

I just feel if it was as straightforward with Maddision as the stats suggest, someone would have spent £2.5 million on him. It just doesn't add up to me. 

I didn't make a point that clubs aren't willing to spend big on League One players. I said it's a general trend, that they're more reluctant. I specifically said that players do move for that kind of money, but it's the exception not the norm. I also referenced Dack being rated at higher the season before (still think it was about 1.5 without looking it up, as I seem to recall it was about double what we paid.

That list, if the figures are correct (lot of undisclosed these days) shows 29 players, ever, moving from League One for 2.5 mill or more. Of those, 12 went to Prem teams. That's a very different level of financing, with Prem team interest bringing a whole new level of financial demand from the seller. It's also a very different level of requirement on the pitch - Maddison is best compared to what Championship clubs will pay for League One players, both for financial and quality reasons. Three also went to foreign top flights. So that's 14 players who went to Championship sides for 2.5 mill or more, ever. You don't have to be one of the best 14 League One players in the last few years to be good enough to excel in this league.

5 of those 14 were 21 or younger when they moved for that money, clearly bought for perceived potential because they were doing well as kids. Again it's a different kind of buy.

I do agree it's a bit surprising he hasn't moved yet. But the Posh chairman last summer or Jan was talking about a deal being close with a Championship side. Deals can break down for all sorts of reasons. IIRC they wanted most of the money up front, which clubs are reluctant to do these days.

I bet if his release clause was more like 1.5-2 mill he'd have already been gone. And I bet even more that next season he will be playing in this league or an equivalent.

Just because someone hasn't moved yet doesn't mean they're not good enough. If you spend your transfer windows going 'well nobody has bought him before for this league', you'll find clubs gazump you for bargains all the time.

I've just watched that Lancashire Sport video. I now feel utterly depressed.

If I were a professional footballer on Rovers' staff at present I'd be on anti-depressants and I don't think that they would be effective.

What a miserable sod!

• Like 1

Possible loans I’d go for 

vydra- he’s a dingle I know but he’s some player

Neco Williams- Liverpool youngster seen this lad a couple of times and he’s got something about him and a big future ahead

Schmidt- if the rumours are true

6 hours ago, Amo said:

A classic Mowbray gem.

Anyone have any clue as to how we play?

You just haven’t got used to how we play yet.

You need to “get real” and “give it a right good go” to “see what he is trying to do here”.

Or if all else fails take a lead out of this fella’s book...

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/14997890.owen-coyle-smart-turn-draws-wins/

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, bazza said:

I've just watched that Lancashire Sport video. I now feel utterly depressed.

If I were a professional footballer on Rovers' staff at present I'd be on anti-depressants and I don't think that they would be effective.

What a miserable sod!

he`ll have heard from the physio that bennett won`t make saturdays game,tony`s world is now in darkness?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, simongarnerisgod said:

he`ll have heard from the physio that bennett won`t make saturdays game,tony`s world is now in darkness?

What happens now? Forgot the match? Play him in goal so he doesn't have to run?

1 hour ago, RoverCanada said:

Hey now. Let's not say anything that calls into question the entire purpose of this forum.

To be fair we have owners and managers who tend to freely supply ammunition.

3 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He wasn't a good header of the ball, that's why he missed the target in that game. The only headed goal I remember him scoring was in a goal mouth scramble were he nearly went down on his hands and knees to head in a loose ball.  If you can show me any other headed goals I'd be interested to see them.  

Off the top of my head, think he scored a good header v Sheff Utd at home. Same game he scored a last minute free kick winner. Struggling apart from that - will have a look on YouTube later.

You're right about getting his head on long balls from the back. He went through a spell where it felt like he was flicking on loads of goal kicks, free kicks etc. Then all of a sudden he didn’t seem to be winning anywhere near as many! 

Good memories of MGP though - anyone who scores a last minute winner v Burnley, two to win at Old Trafford and was a part of Rovers teams finishing 6th, 7th etc in the Premier League has to be remembered fondly.

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead
2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Different players can adapted quickly than others can. Just like any other people on normal jobs. 

Everyone need to calm down and over reacting to every little comment from Mowbray

To be fair though, they’re just reacting to what he said, why is that an over reaction all of a sudden? You wanted him out yourself, not even that long ago, to be fair....

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

To be fair though, they’re just reacting to what he said, why is that an over reaction all of a sudden? You wanted him out yourself, not even that long ago, to be fair....

Yes I did but explained my change of opinion. Even when I wanted him out I didn't OTT and over reacted to every Mowbray. You need a balance approach. 

Look at what I said before about different players will adapt at different speeds just like normal people do in everyday life. Liverpool new signing has said it will take him to him to adapt to their way and style. I don't see Liverpool fans complaining or OTT over his comment. I wonder if people comments would be very different if we were in top 6. 

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yes I did but explained my change of opinion. Even when I wanted him out I didn't OTT and over reacted to every Mowbray. You need a balance approach. 

Look at what I said before about different players will adapt at different speeds just like normal people do in everyday life. Liverpool new signing has said it will take him to him to adapt to their way and style. I don't see Liverpool fans complaining or OTT over his comment. I wonder if people comments would be very different if we were in top 6. 

Which change of opinion is that? The first? the third?

I wonder if people comments would be very different if we were in top 6. ----yes, I rather think they might be!  :blink:

• Moderation Lead
9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You’ve done a complete 180 though, so you shared these views not even that long ago, so I thought you’d have more empathy with said views. But fair play, you do you.

I don’t think there’s been anything close to an over reaction on here for quite some time tbh.

Maybe it’s just me, I’m perhaps too de-sensitised....

12 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Sorry Chaddy but you're one of the last people who can lecture others on needing a balanced approach. Your stance is almost always in favour of whatever the club or manager are doing. I'm not saying you don't sometimes criticise them, but it's very rare except in periods where you're on the verge of wanting them out.

There absolutely are people who are unbalanced in terms of criticising everything the club or manager do. But there are also people unbalanced in terms of desperately defending everything the club or manager do. I'm sorry to inform you, and don't mean any offence by this (sometimes your blind optimism is a little lifting amidst the gloom), but you're not sat neatly in the balanced middle of those two sides.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 5

1 minute ago, 47er said:

Which change of opinion is that? The first? the third?

I wonder if people comments would be very different if we were in top 6. ----yes, I rather think they might be!  :blink:

irrelevant point of view really because we blew 9 points over christmas on teams you need to beat to get there,this side is going nowhere but the bottom half

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, frosty said:

Off the top of my head, think he scored a good header v Sheff Utd at home. Same game he scored a last minute free kick winner. Struggling apart from that - will have a look on YouTube later.

You're right about getting his head on long balls from the back. He went through a spell where it felt like he was flicking on loads of goal kicks, free kicks etc. Then all of a sudden he didn’t seem to be winning anywhere near as many! 

Good memories of MGP though - anyone who scores a last minute winner v Burnley, two to win at Old Trafford and was a part of Rovers teams finishing 6th, 7th etc in the Premier League has to be remembered fondly.

The goal against Burnley showed what he was good at. He had a great shot in both feet. If I recall correctly he banged in a right footed shot that was blocked. As it came back to him he instantly hammered home another right foot shot from a really narrow angle.. I can't knock his two footedness, he could strike a good ball.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Not sure he’d make much of a poker player.

He’s the kind of bloke you wish was your next door neighbour rather than the manager of your football team.

A nice chap.

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Not sure he’d make much of a poker player.

He’s the kind of bloke you wish was your next door neighbour rather than the manager of your football team.

A nice chap.

He's playing a blinding hand of poker. Tomorrow we are going to sign Assombalonga, Maddison, Bialkowski, Rudd, Pontus Jansson, and an entire back four. Funded by selling Brereton for that 45 million Rathbone says he will be worth. FFP fixed.

Superb bluff, that interview. In unrelated news, Beyonce is going to suck me off until I'm dry, and Trump is going to top himself on the grounds that he has 'realised [he] is an absolute dick'. Happy days.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 2