BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

21 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

He's playing a blinding hand of poker. Tomorrow we are going to sign Assombalonga, Maddison, Bialkowski, Rudd, Pontus Jansson, and an entire back four. Funded by selling Brereton for that 45 million Rathbone says he will be worth. FFP fixed.

Superb bluff, that interview. In unrelated news, Beyonce is going to suck me off until I'm dry, and Trump is going to top himself on the grounds that he has 'realised [he] is an absolute dick'. Happy days.

81on3cmPgyL._SX300_.jpg

• Like 1

• Backroom
39 minutes ago, Stuart said:

Not sure he’d make much of a poker player.

He’s the kind of bloke you wish was your next door neighbour rather than the manager of your football team.

A nice chap.

Reckon he’d trim your hedges as he was doing his anyway and not grumble about taking parcels in 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

This approach whereby we offer less than other Clubs' valuations of their players at the start of a window then sit back desperately hoping no -one else will come in for them and that the selling Club might then take pity on us at the end and sell us said players on the cheap is a recipe for disaster.

So far it's resulted in either missing out on all our main targets and then having to throw last minute telephone numbers about at players we didn't really want for the sake of getting some sort of deal over the line (Brereton Summer 2018) or waiting all window and then having to pay the original asking price anyway (Gallagher 2019).

It also sounds from the interview that the opportunity is there this window to do a bit of wheeler dealing and get a few off the wage bill but we're going to miss out because we're waiting to hear first if Clubs will take pity on us regarding their players. I've no idea why we can't just select players we fancy on ability within our approximate price range and then just get the deal done which removes the risk of missing out on a player you want and frees us up to offload a few.

To listen to the hand wringing from TM every window about how difficult the market is, you wonder how any Club ever manages to buy or sell a player. He makes it sound like it's on a par with curing cancer or something in terms of  difficulty.

TM getting a deal done is as difficult and unlikely as BB finding the back of the net. 

7 hours ago, Tom said:

Reckon he’d trim your hedges as he was doing his anyway and not grumble about taking parcels in 

He’d get you all upset about a two-storey extend he was planning and the get double-glazing for his shed.

”The windows are coming”

3 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

This approach whereby we offer less than other Clubs' valuations of their players at the start of a window then sit back desperately hoping no -one else will come in for them and that the selling Club might then take pity on us at the end and sell us said players on the cheap is a recipe for disaster.

So far it's resulted in either missing out on all our main targets and then having to throw last minute telephone numbers about at players we didn't really want for the sake of getting some sort of deal over the line (Brereton Summer 2018) or waiting all window and then having to pay the original asking price anyway (Gallagher 2019).

It also sounds from the interview that the opportunity is there this window to do a bit of wheeler dealing and get a few off the wage bill but we're going to miss out because we're waiting to hear first if Clubs will take pity on us regarding their players. I've no idea why we can't just select players we fancy on ability within our approximate price range and then just get the deal done which removes the risk of missing out on a player you want and frees us up to offload a few.

To listen to the hand wringing from TM every window about how difficult the market is, you wonder how any Club ever manages to buy or sell a player. He makes it sound like it's on a par with curing cancer or something in terms of difficulty.

And yet in the same breath he talks about other clubs hiking up their prices “because it’s Blackburn Rovers.

• Backroom

Think that is a bit harsh @arbitro. Gladwin was our player when he got injured (badly) and I agree with TM that it would have been unfair to just leave him without a club or training facilities to help him back on his way, I'm sure we would have been paying him very little after his initial contract expired.

Cunningham isn't our player, but still had a club to go back to in Cardiff. Makes a lot of sense to me.

• Like 9

13 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He wasn't a good header of the ball, that's why he missed the target in that game. The only headed goal I remember him scoring was in a goal mouth scramble were he nearly went down on his hands and knees to head in a loose ball.  If you can show me any other headed goals I'd be interested to see them.  He had a great spring in his legs and he frequently got his head to long balls out from the back but where the ball went after that was another story.

He scored 5 headed goals in his Rovers career...

06-07 vs Man City away

06-07 vs Sheffield Utd home

07-08 vs VK Vectra Home

07-08 vs Fulham home

11-12 vs Aston Villa away

All pretty good headers to be fair.

I don't recall the one you mentioned though, unless your thinking of the one at Newcastle in 06 where he punched it in!

Edited by MarkBRFC

We scout and target players we can’t afford, waste time putting lowball offers in for them. Then panic and blow money on crap that doesn’t fit the brief eg ‘experienced centre half’ see Brereton, Walton, Tosin.

Mowbray moans about clubs wanting overinflated prices, yet when we sold Raya we capitulated early rather than holding out to the last minute to get the best deal.

Incompetence all round.

• Like 3

Our issue is all the players se go after, are always the best players at their clubs like Mowbray says. Maybe we should change tact, head upwards and aim for the worse players at much better clubs. Like Rotherham in League One wanting Richie Smallwood, rather than Blackburn in the Championship after Rotherham's star man. We all know which is more likely.

They know they'll have to pay big fees and wages to some of the names they throw about. That gives an automatic get out clause that's why it's bull designed to make it look like they are doing something.

For what they've blown on the two strikers and their wages etc they could have signed someone like Assombalonga and maybe had a decent return on the pitch. They simply don't want to go down that road, same with the keeper situation, how serious were they about some of the better names when in the background a favoured agent might have been pitching his client Walton instead ?

Either get serious and get after some quality and pay the money or stop wasting peoples time and stick to the freebies, risky loans and kids but at least he honest about it.

Its obvious that there's no money in the kitty for players. That's been the case virtually every January since Venkys turned up. Has to wait until the May annual review unless funds can be generated internally.

So what we will have is some shuffling around to try and move a few out to raise a few quid off the wage bill in the hope we do enough to bring in a couple of loans the other way until the summer. Make do and mend.

Doesn't take much to set rumours in motion about big names like Assombalonga and Darlow even though its obvious they weren't coming here unless their clubs agreed to an insane loan deal.

We tried it on with Harrison Reed and Southampton again last summer only came up short because Fulham entered the race.

Good policy if your concern is keeping the owners happy and saving them a few quid along the way but it won't work as far as promotion is concerned.

This summer again will require a substantial turnover in personnel.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Madon said:

Think that is a bit harsh @arbitro. Gladwin was our player when he got injured (badly) and I agree with TM that it would have been unfair to just leave him without a club or training facilities to help him back on his way, I'm sure we would have been paying him very little after his initial contract expired.

Cunningham isn't our player, but still had a club to go back to in Cardiff. Makes a lot of sense to me.

I actually intimated that I agree with Cunningham going back but fundamentally disagree with giving Gladwin a new deal primarily to rehabilitate. Gladwin was out of contract so Mowbray was under no obligation to keep him apart from his 'I'm a good guy' stuff. 

They should both have been business decisions.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

None of them "exciting" players have done anything for us in fairness. Chapman hasnt started a game, Rothwell flatters to deceive and Holtby is the best of the 3 but there are still question marks about him. Johnson  and Davenport have not met expectactions so cannot be used to defend his record either.

In glimpses they have ,but not enough. I did caveat my point at the end with saying I think the manager isnt getting the most out of them and gave reasons why. 

13 hours ago, bluebruce said:

I didn't make a point that clubs aren't willing to spend big on League One players. I said it's a general trend, that they're more reluctant. I specifically said that players do move for that kind of money, but it's the exception not the norm. I also referenced Dack being rated at higher the season before (still think it was about 1.5 without looking it up, as I seem to recall it was about double what we paid.

That list, if the figures are correct (lot of undisclosed these days) shows 29 players, ever, moving from League One for 2.5 mill or more. Of those, 12 went to Prem teams. That's a very different level of financing, with Prem team interest bringing a whole new level of financial demand from the seller. It's also a very different level of requirement on the pitch - Maddison is best compared to what Championship clubs will pay for League One players, both for financial and quality reasons. Three also went to foreign top flights. So that's 14 players who went to Championship sides for 2.5 mill or more, ever. You don't have to be one of the best 14 League One players in the last few years to be good enough to excel in this league.

5 of those 14 were 21 or younger when they moved for that money, clearly bought for perceived potential because they were doing well as kids. Again it's a different kind of buy.

I do agree it's a bit surprising he hasn't moved yet. But the Posh chairman last summer or Jan was talking about a deal being close with a Championship side. Deals can break down for all sorts of reasons. IIRC they wanted most of the money up front, which clubs are reluctant to do these days.

I bet if his release clause was more like 1.5-2 mill he'd have already been gone. And I bet even more that next season he will be playing in this league or an equivalent.

Just because someone hasn't moved yet doesn't mean they're not good enough. If you spend your transfer windows going 'well nobody has bought him before for this league', you'll find clubs gazump you for bargains all the time.

So he would have moved if his release clause was 500,000 less? Not buying it. 2.5 million is peanuts for some clubs in the championship. There is more to him not moving that we know. The stats attached to him would suggest enough for a club to part with that type of cash. Let's see how it goes for him anyway. 

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

He calls it a business decision which is fair enough and yet Gladwin got six months rehabilitation contract. 

Double standards once again.

Ah come on, Gladwin was our player. 

Prime example of attacking mowbray for everything and anything. There is enough relevant stuff without doing that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ah come on, Gladwin was our player. 

Prime example of attacking mowbray for everything and anything. There is enough relevant stuff without doing that. 

He was, but he has done absolutely nothing for the club and was (justifiably) paid for 18 months. (well 24 if you take into account the 6 months when he was fit but rarely played as he wasnt up to it)

Unles there is a legal obligaton, as a club quite clearly with no money to play around with, it is very difficult to justify giving a pity 6 month contract to a player full stop, never mind one that has never done anything to warrant such a gesture when we are skint.

• Like 4

Just now, roversfan99 said:

He was, but he has done absolutely nothing for the club and was (justifiably) paid for 18 months. (well 24 if you take into account the 6 months when he was fit but rarely played as he wasnt up to it)

Unles there is a legal obligaton, as a club quite clearly with no money to play around with, it is very difficult to justify giving a pity 6 month contract to a player full stop, never mind one that has never done anything to warrant such a gesture when we are skint.

Oh give it a rest, some of you on here were discussing players mental health big time over the last week or so. Imagine if Gladwin had a break down or worse after been thrown on the scrap heap. Nobody has any idea of what the deal involved,  no doubt it was peanuts. Move on and focus on real issues. 

Just now, The Hypnotic said:

I think you must have become de-sensitised K-Hod.

This board has become a very negative and depressing place to get Rovers news or keep up with matches. Every comment from Mowbray is pounced on and analysed for ways to discredit him and make it look like he is lying, cowardly or foolish. Personal and offensive insults are now common words in use to describe him and false narratives are pushed at every opportunity.

I accept that a majority of fans on this site are not happy with how things are going but there's an over-reaction on here every single day! Tbh it's very difficult to listen to all the time and I am surprised that you haven't noticed it.

Well said. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Oh give it a rest, some of you on here were discussing players mental health big time over the last week or so. Imagine if Gladwin had a break down or worse after been thrown on the scrap heap. Nobody has any idea of what the deal involved,  no doubt it was peanuts. Move on and focus on real issues. 

That is speculative at best, suggesting that he has mental health issues. Let him use the facilities if need be, but dont pay him for it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

To listen to the hand wringing from TM every window about how difficult the market is, you wonder how any Club ever manages to buy or sell a player. He makes it sound like it's on a par with curing cancer or something in terms of  difficulty.

Is this TM or someone else in the "building"?( Genuine question - many business people "know best" even if they haven't a clue outside of their own industries/fields.)

Tony loses cred either way but it would be interesting to know the actual situation.