BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

I’d be going for Emre Mor myself. This man was tipped as something great and we have (past albeit) history of taking strikers with suspect attitude problems and watching as they set games on fire. Although we have had our fair share of bad ens to....Goodwillie. 

I just think Mor screams Rovers. Turkish and brilliant with the ball. Knowing the history of the club like any fan would I’d have tried to land this bloke in the summer. 

Sadly though we don’t have that pulling power and the likes of Leeds and Brentford are now above us in that regard. It would have been a (Turkish) delight seeing one of theirs playing on Ewood again 

• Moderation Lead
32 minutes ago, The Hypnotic said:

I think you must have become de-sensitised K-Hod.

This board has become a very negative and depressing place to get Rovers news or keep up with matches. Every comment from Mowbray is pounced on and analysed for ways to discredit him and make it look like he is lying, cowardly or foolish. Personal and offensive insults are now common words in use to describe him and false narratives are pushed at every opportunity.

I accept that a majority of fans on this site are not happy with how things are going but there's an over-reaction on here every single day! Tbh it's very difficult to listen to all the time and I am surprised that you haven't noticed it.

I’ve been posting on here for the best part of 10 years now, so I don’t think I’ve noticed any change really. 

This is where I just don’t agree. You know how it is with managers, they talk all the time and comments will be analysed, it is what it is. 

Some of the comments he’s made like re Harrison Reed needing to learn from Evans and Smallwood or even defenders are coming, when they simply didn’t. How is anyone supposed to react to those comments?

Personal and offensive insults? You’ll have to give me an example, as I don’t honestly think that’s the case. I must admit, I think it’s reaching a point where any criticism of Mowbray from some is viewed as being harsh.

If you’re big enough to put yourself in the hot seat, you’ve got to be big enough to handle what comes with it. Either that, or just win more games. That’s the only way to shut the fans up. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, The Hypnotic said:

This board has become a very negative and depressing place to get Rovers news or keep up with matches. Every comment from Mowbray is pounced on and analysed for ways to discredit him and make it look like he is lying, cowardly or foolish. Personal and offensive insults are now common words in use to describe him and false narratives are pushed at every opportunity.

I accept that a majority of fans on this site are not happy with how things are going but there's an over-reaction on here every single day! Tbh it's very difficult to listen to all the time and I am surprised that you haven't noticed it.

I agree to an extent but Mowbray doesn't make things easy for himself with some of the comments he comes out with to the media.

What purpose does it serve repeatedly telling the media that any prospective new signing will have to spend time learning the way we play?Its not as if we play a complicated brand of football.

Harrison Reed being told he has to learn how to play like Smallwood and Evans?6 months later Reed gets a 5 million move to one of the promotion favourites whilst Smallwood hasn't kicked a ball in the league this season.

Why would any premier League team be interested in loaning us any of their younger or decent fringe players when they are being told they won't play but will have to first learn how to play the game like Bennett, Bell, Evans, Smallwood etc??

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, The Hypnotic said:

All this negativity and brooding resentment boggles the mind.

I mean, we've had so much to cheer about in the last 10 years! :o

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Roverthechimp said:

Is this TM or someone else in the "building"?( Genuine question - many business people "know best" even if they haven't a clue outside of their own industries/fields.)

Tony loses cred either way but it would be interesting to know the actual situation.

It seems to be far  more pronounced since Waggott joined the Club and I did wonder if it was him trying to be clever rather than Mowbray, but you do get the impression it's an approach they're both happy with.

With Mowbray the main issue seems to be his reluctance to replace or disrupt the existing players so I doubt he's too unhappy if we're sat there with bids in which are extremely unlikely to be accepted, and if all else fails and it looks like a deal may still go through against the odds, he can always kill it off with his spiel about the player only coming in as a member of the squad as it appears he did with the Bauer deal.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

That is speculative at best, suggesting that he has mental health issues. Let him use the facilities if need be, but dont pay him for it. 

I didn't suggest he had mental health issues, I suggested he could potentially have. There is a difference. Men losing their jobs and being unable to work is a huge cause of mental health issues of varying severity. I know all about it. I work in the area. 

We don't now what he was being paid, if anything. So you would let the man go, unable to train, play or find a club and you also wouldn't pay him a penny. You're a real nice guy. 

In the grand scheme of things ,t's a small petty issue for fans to be focusing on.

8 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I didn't suggest he had mental health issues, I suggested he could potentially have. There is a difference. Men losing their jobs and being unable to work is a huge cause of mental health issues of varying severity. I know all about it. I work in the area. 

We don't now what he was being paid, if anything. So you would let the man go, unable to train, play or find a club and you also wouldn't pay him a penny. You're a real nice guy. 

In the grand scheme of things ,t's a small petty issue for fans to be focusing on.

This is a problem in football. The fans see the players detached from themselves. I’ve no doubt if roversfan99 brother injured his back severely at work and his employers just cut his contract down and released him he’d be citing unfair dismissal. 

Gladwin was allowed to be rehabilitated and then he got shipped off. Quite what was wrong with that is beyond me, we did what we could by the man and I’m glad we aren’t a club to throw him aside and leave him to his own devices. I don’t want us to be a club associated with that type of ethic. 

Talk of not paying him is ridiculous. This is the mans employment at the end of the day and he injured himself whilst working for us. 

Just to point out too that I consider Gladwin the worst footballer to have played for us. That doesn’t detract from the clubs duty of care to him. I’ll never forgive him for not winning a single header against Beardsley vs Burnley. He had about 6 inches on him ffs 

Edited by Dreams of 1995
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I really do disagree. I can't believe anyone can condone it.

As I said the other day, if you're going to hand Gladwin a deal when there's no chance of him playing simply because you feel sorry for him then you might as well give me or you a weekly handout until the end of the season.

The argument might be made that it's a sign of how well TM treats his players and other players will take note but equally it sends out a signal that if players come here they've cracked it and are on easy street.

Not only do you not have to continue to  perform to keep getting a new contract, you dont even have to have ever performed or even be available for selection!!

4 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

This is a problem in football. The fans see the players detached from themselves. I’ve no doubt if roversfan99 brother injured his back severely at work and his employers just cut his contract down and released him he’d be citing unfair dismissal. 

Gladwin was allowed to be rehabilitated and then he got shipped off. Quite what was wrong with that is beyond me, we did what we could by the man and I’m glad we aren’t a club to throw him aside and leave him to his own devices. I don’t want us to be a club associated with that type of ethic. 

Talk of not paying him is ridiculous. This is the mans employment at the end of the day and he injured himself whilst working for us. 

Just to point out too that I consider Gladwin the worst footballer to have played for us. That doesn’t detract from the clubs duty of care to him. I’ll never forgive him for not winning a single header against Beardsley vs Burnley. He had about 6 inches on him ffs 

Indeed. I agree with all that. I work in HR and the amount of incidents where men are off work, for whatever reason, even with pay and their mental health deteriorates is actually scary. Some never recover. I don't see what the problem is with doing the humane and decent thing in this situation. It seems such a petty issue to focus on, bordering on nasty when I actually see what some suggest should have happened with him. 

9 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I’ve no doubt if roversfan99 brother injured his back severely at work and his employers just cut his contract down and released him he’d be citing unfair dismissal.  

Except that's not what happened. Gladwin was contracted for two years. He got injured and was paid right up until his contact expired in summer 2019. 

There was nothing to stop him training at the club after that, but on what grounds did we owe him another six months wages? I could understand rewarding a player who was loyal and a solid performer but he was shite for us (as you even concede).

Edited by Amo
  • Like 5

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I really do disagree. I can't believe anyone can condone it.

As I said the other day, if you're going to hand Gladwin a deal when there's no chance of him playing simply because you feel sorry for him then you might as well give me or you a weekly handout until the end of the season.

The argument might be made that it's a sign of how well TM treats his players and other players will take note but equally it sends out a signal that if players come here they've cracked it and are on easy street.

Not only do you not have to continue to  perform to keep getting a new contract, you dont even have to have ever performed or even be available for selection!!

But that doesn't make sense, why would they give me or you money when we are not , nor never have been under contract to the club? 

Look, i think it was the right thing to do for the reasons I have set out in the last few posts. If ye disagree, fair enough. 

• Backroom
31 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

I’ve been posting on here for the best part of 10 years now, so I don’t think I’ve noticed any change really. 

I lurked from about 2003 and joined in 2004 I believe, and I can tell you that Souness and Allardyce definitely got it worse than Mowbray ever has, despite us being in a significantly better position at the time!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

You seem to be under the impression that people are suggesting we shouldnt  have paid Gladwin and ignored his contract. Not the case.

We paid him and presumably paid for all his treatment and rehabilitation whilst he was under contract which is unfortunate for us but fair enough. The issue is that his contract came to an end and Mowbray seemingly gave him a further deal as an act of charity because he felt sorry for him even though realistically he was never going to play for us at any point.

In the fictitious example you use I doubt  Rover 99's brother would have got a new contract if he'd never been any use to his  employers nor was he ever likely to be. People aren't that stupid in the real world away from the insular bubble of football.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

You seem to be under the impression that people are suggesting we shouldnt  have paid Gladwin and ignored his contract. Not the case.

We paid him and presumably paid for all his treatment and rehabilitation whilst he was under contract which is unfortunate for us but fair enough. The issue is that his contract came to an end and Mowbray seemingly gave him a further deal as an act of charity because he felt sorry for him even though realistically he was never going to play for us at any point.

In the fictitious example you use I doubt  Rover 99's brother would have got a new contract if he'd never been any use to his  employers nor was he ever likely to be. People aren't that stupid in the real world away from the insular bubble of football.

Football isn't like other jobs. It's all about perception of the player and the "career" is short. Gladwin was more likely to find a club going directly from here, rather than if he was released still injured and on the scrap heap without a club for months. I mean I am sure Messi would have gotten a club in that situation, but he is not Messi. It seems you are basing Gladwins treatment on his ability. 

Yes, Rover99s fictitious brother probably would have been let go if he was a plasterer, but then he would also have been a serious high risk for the mental health issues men this happens to suffer. If a football club can afford, whatever it was he was paid, then why not do the decent thing? I just don't see how it impacts on anything in the grand scheme of things. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

57 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I’d be going for Emre Mor myself. This man was tipped as something great and we have (past albeit) history of taking strikers with suspect attitude problems and watching as they set games on fire. Although we have had our fair share of bad ens to....Goodwillie. 

I just think Mor screams Rovers. Turkish and brilliant with the ball. Knowing the history of the club like any fan would I’d have tried to land this bloke in the summer. 

Sadly though we don’t have that pulling power and the likes of Leeds and Brentford are now above us in that regard. It would have been a (Turkish) delight seeing one of theirs playing on Ewood again 

Emre Mor is a great shout we should be aiming for the likes of him and Lucas Silva 

3 hours ago, MarkBRFC said:

He scored 5 headed goals in his Rovers career...

06-07 vs Man City away

06-07 vs Sheffield Utd home

07-08 vs VK Vectra Home

07-08 vs Fulham home

11-12 vs Aston Villa away

All pretty good headers to be fair.

I don't recall the one you mentioned though, unless your thinking of the one at Newcastle in 06 where he punched it in!

Thanks for that Matey, obviously my memory isn't what it was. You could be right about the one he punched in.

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Football isn't like other jobs. It's all about perception of the player and the "career" is short. Gladwin was more likely to find a club going directly from here, rather than if he was released still injured and on the scrap heap without a club for months. I mean I am sure Messi would have gotten a club in that situation, but he is not Messi. It seems you are basing Gladwins treatment on his ability. 

Yes, Rover99s fictitious brother probably would have been let go if he was a plasterer, but then he would also have been a serious high risk for the mental health issues men this happens to suffer. If a football club can afford, whatever it was he was paid, then why not do the decent thing? I just don't see how it impacts on anything in the grand scheme of things. 

Once his contract expires, Gladwin isn't our concern. As others have said allowing him to use our facilities for free whenever required to complete his rehabilitation would have been more than adequate.

By the same token,  some players have a hard job adjusting to normal life once they retire. Should we offer all our former players three years wages and free counselling when they retire in case they're having problems adjusting as well? You can't go around throwing money around on acts of charity simply because a player may or may not be such a snowflake he can't cope with an unfortunate turn of events which sadly is a part of life.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I too have been hoping for a shock move for mor, especially as he is available for 5m this window as reported by sky. While that may seem a hefty price the potential reward is to great to turn down. Would offer versatility in being able to play up front or out wide, though he’d used in behind a focal point. Which is what we’re lacking atm without dack. Wish we could get tugay on the line to put in a good word.

It’ll never happen though as there are rumours of an attitude problem meaning TM will be scared to go anywhere near. Which is a real shame cuz at 5m it’s a proper bargain. Makes our signings of SG and BB look ridiculous for the price we paid. The value is definitely abroad.

• Like 1

TM like many of his predecessors is fortunate to be at a club whose owners and fans will swallow guff as long as they do before they blow. He's been trading on it now for 12 months the only thing that saved him from many collective pennies dropping was a decent finish to last season.

That earned him the right to the summer and gave us all hope we were readjusting back to the championship and looking forward to pushing on. Regardless of the injuries there hasn't been much to say we are now moving in the right direction on or off the pitch it's more resembled job done, back to treading water and be happy about it.

Whilst not expecting top 6 a still think there have been and continue to be wasted opportunities both in the transfer market and on the pitch. People might be miserable at times but they aren't stupid they can see how it's unfolding and what he says and how it often just doesn't add up, it's that old feeling of being placated again.

That's why he's getting stick.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Once his contract expires, Gladwin isn't our concern. As others have said allowing him to use our facilities for free whenever required to complete his rehabilitation would have been more than adequate.

By the same token,  some players have a hard job adjusting to normal life once they retire. Should we offer all our former players three years wages and free counselling when they retire in case they're having problems adjusting as well? You can't go around throwing money around on acts of charity simply because a player may or may not be such a snowflake he can't cope with an unfortunate turn of events which sadly is a part of life.

He could have been paid a few hundred quid a week for all we know, or maybe nothing. We don't know, 

Yes, I think more should be done for retiring players and I think this has started to happen. They are much better in rugby where they set them up to do degrees before they finish. Counselling too, ya why not? Maybe financial management whilst they are still playing. Obviously not 3 years wages though, but just enable them to live good lives after finishing. 

It's part of life, but not the same for a footballer. A builder can be off for months and get another job when ok, it's difficult for a footballer at Gladwins level at the best of times. 

With the wastage that has gone on here since Venkys took over, I really think there are bigger issues to focus on.

Ok, gonna leave it at that on this topic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K-Hod said:

This is where I just don’t agree. You know how it is with managers, they talk all the time and comments will be analysed, it is what it is. 

Some of the comments he’s made like re Harrison Reed needing to learn from Evans and Smallwood or even defenders are coming, when they simply didn’t. How is anyone supposed to react to those comments?

Personal and offensive insults? You’ll have to give me an example, as I don’t honestly think that’s the case. I must admit, I think it’s reaching a point where any criticism of Mowbray from some is viewed as being harsh.

If you’re big enough to put yourself in the hot seat, you’ve got to be big enough to handle what comes with it. Either that, or just win more games. That’s the only way to shut the fans up. 

TM has been winning a fair amount of games imo. We’re mid table in the championship and within touching distance of the playoffs in our second season after promotion from league one. That’s why I think the criticism is OTT. Regardless of performances, the atmosphere in this board has really soured and it’s become a bit of an effort to trawl through all the relentless, depressing criticism to get to any real news.

Can you honestly not remember any offensive or personal language being used about Mowbray? I could quickly find examples of him being called a miserable sod, a fucking idiot, a dinosaur, a clueless twat, if you like. But I don’t think there would be much point as I’m sure you’re aware of all that really. 

There’s nothing wrong with fans venting and I’m sure we’ve all lost the plot with different managers over the years, good and bad. However there is a bit of a echo chamber in here at times and I think it creates a bad atmosphere and encourages some posters to outdo each other in OTT criticism and relentless negativity about every aspect of the club. That’s why I think Chaddy was right to make reference to OTT negativity and why I agreed with your suggestion that you must have become desensitised to the atmosphere here. 

• Like 6

26 minutes ago, Mr. E said:

Did Liveprool really buy Minamino for 7.25 million?

While Brereton cost us 10 million.

How is this possible.

Brereton has cost the club about £4m as of January 2020. It could rise to £7m if we get promoted, at which point nobody would care anyway. FAR from £10m either way.

19 minutes ago, The Hypnotic said:

TM has been winning a fair amount of games imo. We’re mid table in the championship and within touching distance of the playoffs in our second season after promotion from league one. That’s why I think the criticism is OTT. Regardless of performances, the atmosphere in this board has really soured and it’s become a bit of an effort to trawl through all the relentless, depressing criticism to get to any real news.

Can you honestly not remember any offensive or personal language being used about Mowbray? I could quickly find examples of him being called a miserable sod, a fucking idiot, a dinosaur, a clueless twat, if you like. But I don’t think there would be much point as I’m sure you’re aware of all that really. 

There’s nothing wrong with fans venting and I’m sure we’ve all lost the plot with different managers over the years, good and bad. However there is a bit of a echo chamber in here at times and I think it creates a bad atmosphere and encourages some posters to outdo each other in OTT criticism and relentless negativity about every aspect of the club. That’s why I think Chaddy was right to make reference to OTT negativity and why I agreed with your suggestion that you must have become desensitised to the atmosphere here. 

Anyone claiming this doesn't happen is ignoring it, particularly if you are a mod. 

In fact I saw someone call him a plank today. It happens regularly and I wholeheartedly agree its nasty and uncalled for

• Like 3