BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

Evans and Smallwood are not good enough. The club know that and I mentioned in here in the summer that they  were going to transition them out. At the time, many didn’t believe me and understandably thought Smallwood was un-drop-able in TM’s eyes. He’s never played since and Evans would’ve followed the same way had Johnson’s form not dropped away. They also expected Davenport to be banging the door down.

IMO Bell, Smallwood, Evans, Samuel, Leutwiler and Bennett are not good enough to take us forward (or enough potential) and should initially be replaced in the first XI and then in the squad ASAP.

But whilst we’re on the transfer thread, what a signing Stuart Downing has been! Fantastic player. 

• Like 5

After watching yesterday’s game I think we should be prioritising a left back and a right winger and then play Armstrong up front in a 442 with Gallagher or Graham.  Move into a formation which suits our players and which they’ll be comfortable with.  Downing can play on the left with 2 in centre midfield.  

• Like 4

Looking very light in the middle of midfield now with Evans injured. Smallwood's time here is clearly at an end and Davenport is obviously still not seen as an option which really only leaves us Johnson and Travis to play in the two man midfield, Downing could play there now and again but I don't think he has the legs to be playing in there week after week. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

At the time, many didn’t believe me and understandably thought Smallwood was un-drop-able in TM’s eyes.

we need rid of him now. He was good player for us but not good enough in this league. Good signing for any league 1 club someone like Blackpool or Wycombe

They also expected Davenport to be banging the door down.

lets hope we start to see him playing more

what a signing Stuart Downing has been! Fantastic player

very true. 

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

People seem to have forgotten how poor Dominic Samuel is. I understand that Gallagher and Brereton are dismal but he comes under that category too.

I always viewed him as a shitter Marcus Bent. So yeah, not that great.

• Backroom
12 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Looking very light in the middle of midfield now with Evans injured. Smallwood's time here is clearly at an end and Davenport is obviously still not seen as an option which really only leaves us Johnson and Travis to play in the two man midfield, Downing could play there now and again but I don't think he has the legs to be playing in there week after week. 

Theoretically we have Bennett as well but with Nyambe's injury problems that would then leave us short at RB (not that Bennett is particularly good there anyway). 

56 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Evans and Smallwood are not good enough. The club know that and I mentioned in here in the summer that they  were going to transition them out. At the time, many didn’t believe me and understandably thought Smallwood was un-drop-able in TM’s eyes. He’s never played since and Evans would’ve followed the same way had Johnson’s form not dropped away. They also expected Davenport to be banging the door down.  We might be stuck with Smallwood if Evans is going to be out for the next 3 months!  Seen Davenport a few times now and apart from the odd flash, hasn't impressed me - think he looks very average and at 21, doesn't look like he'll make it to me.

IMO Bell, Smallwood, Evans, Samuel, Leutwiler and Bennett are not good enough to take us forward (or enough potential) and should initially be replaced in the first XI and then in the squad ASAP.  Four of those six are Mowbray signings!  He also held Evans up as one for Reed to learn from whilst until very recently, Bennett has been 'undroppable' despite, IMO,his horrific displays. 

But whilst we’re on the transfer thread, what a signing Stuart Downing has been! Fantastic player.  Think 'fantastic' is going over the top - think when you are swimming in a sea of absolute mediocrity, it's not too difficult to 'stand out'.  Downing has delivered what we hoped for - additionally on the plus side, I can't recall him not being available for a game through injury (IMO, we've too many injury prone players). 

Edited by Mercer

3 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Four of those six are Mowbray signings! 

Bell, Luetwiler, Smallwood and Samuel all out of contract in summer

3 minutes ago, Mercer said:

We might be stuck with Smallwood 

Still wont play here. He will.be gone shortly. 

1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

I dunno about Downing not having the legs, looks the fittest person at the club by far to me.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Never given a chance Samuel, I thought Tony liked him .  

Why are people suddenly of the opinion Samuel is a good player? He played enough in the division below for us too know he’s no better than Brereton or Gallagher! 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Scotland1 said:

The Martin olsson rumour is not going away. Would love it if he comes. Be up there with Holtby as a quality signing.

No doubting he would be an upgrade on what we have but he is very injury prone plus he will have to get used to how we play 

41 minutes ago, Butty said:

Why are people suddenly of the opinion Samuel is a good player? He played enough in the division below for us too know he’s no better than Brereton or Gallagher! 

I didn't say he was good.  There are a lot of shit players who have been given a chance, so why not this one.? After all, he is ours 

45 minutes ago, islander200 said:

No doubting he would be an upgrade on what we have but he is very injury prone plus he will have to get used to how we play 

That's all the excuse needed to add him to the rotation roster he sounds like a perfect signing for this present system.

1 hour ago, Butty said:

Exactly, he was another poor signing but not too much of a gamble. However the managers use of him and accommodating of him caused lots of angst not long ago. If he'd been fit over the last 12 months he'd have flitted between being on the right wing and being the first off the bench, guaranteed.  He'd have contributed very little but at least it might have meant Brereton or Gallagher or even both weren't signed,

Says it absolutely all that he's now viewed as probably a better option than either in either role !!!

This season now is going to turn into a transition one, last was about consolidating but this through a combination of cock ups, wastefulness and injuries means the deck chairs need moving around.  Might as well start now and just plod till the end of the season. Then hopefully the Indians jet over here for a change and put a rocket up those fortunate enough to be on their payroll.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Glosrover said:

I wonder, maybe in lieu of an instalment payment for Dack’s transfer? Maybe in exchange for release from a sell-on clause? Maybe their left back is coming the other way as part of the / a deal?

If they've found a taker that soon and that easy after his lay off then yep there'll be something more to it.

2 hours ago, Mercer said:

Players Bought to get us out of League 1 getting phased out of our championship plans - seems straight forward enough.

Downing has been fantastic. Was the best player on the park yesterday and has surpassed most people’s expectations.

What was interesting yesterday was the reaction of PNE fans to Sinclair. You’d have thought they were bringing on Messi! Just highlighted the difference in expectation at the two clubs when you consider Rovers fans reaction to signing Holtby who is a far better pedigree and status.

Also of note, Patrick Bauer is CRAP. Wow, such poor mobility. Big cart horse type. Dodged a bullet there. Tosin much better. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, 4000Holes said:

I see it is being reported that Pardew wants Brereton, in Holland, on loan for the remainder of the season.  However it is also being reported that Rovers are not keen due to lack of striking options.

In my view this is too good an opportunity to turn away as it would be right for Brereton as it could get the lad back on track and right for Rovers as he could come back a player as Pardew may actually play him in the right position not wasted on the wing.

We should have signed Pardew and let him get the best out of our strikers here.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Paul Mani said:

Players Bought to get us out of League 1 getting phased out of our championship plans - seems straight forward enough.

Downing has been fantastic. Was the best player on the park yesterday and has surpassed most people’s expectations.

What was interesting yesterday was the reaction of PNE fans to Sinclair. You’d have thought they were bringing on Messi! Just highlighted the difference in expectation at the two clubs when you consider Rovers fans reaction to signing Holtby who is a far better pedigree and status.

Also of note, Patrick Bauer is CRAP. Wow, such poor mobility. Big cart horse type. Dodged a bullet there. Tosin much better. 

You are perhaps re-writing history somewhat on Holtby's signing, on here we had people stalking his social media, speculating about ferries he was getting on and road signs he was going past, people searching for pictures and locations that his agent had posted, commenting on a random member of staff following him on social media, it was pretty incredible and on the border of requiring a restraining order for one or two!

Sinclair should be a brilliant addition sadly and one I would have loved to see here. His numbers of goals and assist at Celtic from the left wing were incredibly impressive and made him a fans favourite up here. Holtby has the added mystique of coming from abroad but whilst his CV has reason for optimism he had just been let go by a second division German division side and hadnt been snapped up by mid to late September.

Its a little remiss to suggest that Bauer wouldnt have been a good signing either. Preston have conceded a couple less goals but ultimately, with different styles, I dont think there is much in Bauer v Adarabioyo but the former would have been a permanent addition and we wouldnt have faced the same issue again this summer.

• Like 1