BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

1 hour ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

He could hardly come out and say it was never his idea and came about because of agents in the background.

Can't win either way with conspiracy theorists. If TM had said nothing at all about the transfer you'd be jumping all over it as "proof" that it wasn't his idea. When he specifically comes  out and and directly refutes the allegation you're makingT that doesn't suit your overall agenda so all we get is "Well he would say that wouldn't he?"

There is absolutely no evidence Mowbray didn't approve of the Brereton signing. When you last brought this up in an attempt to muddy the waters, someone posted an article from the LT in which TM went into extreme detail about why he admired BB's attributes.

If it's a cover story he went to quite extraordinary lengths to concoct it 

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, DE. said:

Tony Mowbray. That's literally what he's said in interviews, that it was his signing and he then listed off the multiple attributes he felt Brereton had as reasons for the signing. If you want to choose to believe he was lying then OK, but the narrative that Brereton was forced on Mowbray is little more than a conspiracy theory.

The simplest answer is often the correct one. Mowbray had money to spend, he'd heard enough from people about Brereton to think he'd be a great signing, but found out when Brereton arrived that he wasn't particularly good and has realised now that he's made a mistake and has little choice but to wear that albatross around his neck. 

Yep.

You also have to remember the circumstances leading up to the signing. We'd had offers in for players all that summer but drawn a complete blank and the fans were getting extremely uptight that we hadn't signed anyone. Mowbray later claimed that money was there all along but suddenly, from complaining all summer how expensive and difficult the market was to deal in, we suddenly out of nowhere throw bids of 7m out for BB and 4m for the lad Freeman from QPR with 24 hours to go of the window.

Which tends to indicate we panicked at the last moment because we hadn't signed anyone, went back to the owners, asked for more money, and splashed  the cash on BB without researching the deal properly or watching him thotoughly enough beforehand.

Of course he sounded great in theory, 19,  6' 3" England under something international, Liverpool had been interested in him etc etc.

No doubt if he ever does come good he'll be a Tony Mowbray signing again. Lol.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, DE. said:

Tony Mowbray. That's literally what he's said in interviews, that it was his signing and he then listed off the multiple attributes he felt Brereton had as reasons for the signing. If you want to choose to believe he was lying then OK, but the narrative that Brereton was forced on Mowbray is little more than a conspiracy theory.

The simplest answer is often the correct one. Mowbray had money to spend, he'd heard enough from people about Brereton to think he'd be a great signing, but found out when Brereton arrived that he wasn't particularly good and has realised now that he's made a mistake and has little choice but to wear that albatross around his neck. 

This is right. He did sign it off as he does every one. 

50 minutes ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

Have we been linked to Murray? 

Not that iv seen.Nixon reckons Forest are in for him.Brighton willing to let him go for free to a championship club but want 500k if he joins another team in the premier League ,Norwich and Villa have asked about him

13 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Another Monday morning with zero Rovers news! No insiders, no leaks, no snippets, no sniffs and no speculation! What is going wrong???

Would you give Mowbray any money to spend ???

We are not going to be promoted or relegated !

He has taken the club as far has he can , time to get a new manager  in !

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Another Monday morning with zero Rovers news! No insiders, no leaks, no snippets, no sniffs and no speculation! What is going wrong???

Closed ranks around transfers. Apparently Nixon’s source has been given the boot too...it’s better that they don’t go public imo.

• Like 4

Downing was public news and everyone and their dog knew he'd end up here, Gallagher was linked in the press for a while and there didn't seem to be much of a battle for his signature at 5 million.

Holtby came out the blue but that's about it recently.  Not sure how they can close ranks when they end up in some cases dealing with the same agents.

27 minutes ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

Exactly! This isn't the new season of 24 where we need to recruit Jack Bauer to find the mercenary behind £7 million being deceptively stolen from us. 

At the end of the day Tony signed Brereton, Tony bigged him up, Tony is accountable!

They’ve got it wrong with Brereton who was signed with no real scouting other than playing well against us and a growing reputation as a promising star of the future. But he has never been the player who they thought he’d be. They’re worried and right to be...managers ultimately get judged on their big transfers. I hope he goes to Holland, rediscovers the form he showed as a teenager and comes back in the summer full of confidence and ready to get his career going again. 

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

They’ve got it wrong with Brereton who was signed with no real scouting other than playing well against us and a growing reputation as a promising star of the future. But he has never been the player who they thought he’d be. They’re worried and right to be...managers ultimately get judged on their big transfers. I hope he goes to Holland, rediscovers the form he showed as a teenager and comes back in the summer full of confidence and ready to get his career going again. 

Fully agree!!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

That first sentence is damning, 7 million pounds is big, big money for a club like us, especially in a FFP environment. A player to be signed for that kind of outlay should’ve been scouted to an inch of his life. So for the cash to be thrown around in such a haphazard, almost negligent way is not how a club supposedly staffed by experienced professionals should be operating. 

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 4

Side note perhaps. One of the neutrals who came with me Saturday is a Manchester City season ticket holder. I said Tosin looked good for us, always seems to be under pressure/uncoordinated but tends to get away with it all the time so maybe he actually is in control. He said that he’s actually been completely removed from city’s website as a registered player and suggested he thought we’d agreed an obligation to buy in the summer and that’s what took so long to sort in the summer. I checked their website and he has been removed he’s right, thought this would be normal practice for loanees but Patrick Roberts and a couple of others are still on there with an ‘on loan’ banner across their picture. If that is true that’s at least one good bit of business sorted for summer. Now just need 2 more CB’s haha!

22 hours ago, OJRovers said:

What’s happened to Davenport? Surely brought in as a long term replacement for the likes of Evans.

Learning to play the Rovers way.

He was TMs reward for promotion i reckon similar to Souness with Grabbi.

Some back slapping between friends sorting the deal, a lump of cash allocated for transfers and a manager advising the owners on a slow burn 'investment' model rather than lets have a go.

Make of it what you will but it was badly misguided at best and as most said it would looks like hampering us down the line. 

Poor all round and recently Mowbray turning it on the lad himself suggests he's realised and is on the old arse covering route. His singing of him was one thing the handling of him another.

Edited by tomphil

2 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Side note perhaps. One of the neutrals who came with me Saturday is a Manchester City season ticket holder. I said Tosin looked good for us, always seems to be under pressure/uncoordinated but tends to get away with it all the time so maybe he actually is in control. He said that he’s actually been completely removed from city’s website as a registered player and suggested he thought we’d agreed an obligation to buy in the summer and that’s what took so long to sort in the summer. I checked their website and he has been removed he’s right, thought this would be normal practice for loanees but Patrick Roberts and a couple of others are still on there with an ‘on loan’ banner across their picture. If that is true that’s at least one good bit of business sorted for summer. Now just need 2 more CB’s haha!

That's interesting.

Would be over the moon with that. had a few dodgy displays but he has huge potential in my eyes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

Could just be an oversight from the website personnel. I’m sure he’s been I. The press talking about his hopes for his future at city.

• Like 1