BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

2 hours ago, OssyLad said:

Yeah he’s not the best, but he’s still only young. 7million is a lot and it was a gamble but the criticism Big Ben gets is disgraceful in my opinion. He came in barbers other day with his head down and barely said a word. If the rumours are true and he does go on loan. I hope it works out for him and proves us all wrong 

Ignoring social media, which is a breeding ground for trolls and reactiionists, what criticism is disgraceful? 

If I watch a player who is crap and doesn't look like a footballer I will say that. I cheer him on the pitch and have never booed or jeered him. History may well say he was hung, drawn and quartered by the Rovers fans, which simply isn't true.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

as I reported last week brereton was told by mowbray to sort out a loan move, his agent has been branding his name around. Would mean samuel staying unless another replacement- cheap- can be sourced 

Isn't Samuel in talks with Gillingham at this minute?

3 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

One particular fit that mowbray likes- as do I- but is unlikely due to money wanted is Ronan Curtis from pompy. Maddison was the back up to this but with Curtis looking unlikely and Maddison talking to Charlton they are having to act fast or will end up with neither- probably the most likely scenario. He is wanting to free armstrong from the wing to focus on up top with dacks goals missing, he sees armstrong as the guy for goals. Struggling with raising capital though. Trying to get a few out the door

Thanks for sharing

2 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

No it is a rumour and nothing more. We will see if we spend much but I wont hold my breath.

The Lancs Live Rovers reporter Jaquob Crooke has confirmed to me just now that we are one of the 2 other bidders 

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Venkys happy to pay (as always). They have one eye on FFP.

The only thing I’ve seen in relation to restrictions on money was TM saying we didn’t have the money to go out and replace Dack. Which at £10-£20m is kind of self explanatory. The other issue at play here is that they were also budgeting on selling more tickets and likely cashing in on Dack in the summer. But ultimately, we had a budget for this window and we still have it. Dacks injury and the form of Brereton and Gallagher means we now have to add an attacker.

Not skint. No restrictions imposed by the owners. Just business as usual.

Thanks Paul

43 minutes ago, neophox said:

Would you take Rhodes back? Curently attracting Wigan. He is a natural goal scorer.

no I wouldn't. 

I rather play Armstrong up front

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Isn't Samuel in talks with Gillingham at this minute?

Thanks for sharing

The Lancs Live Rovers reporter Jaquob Crooke has confirmed to me just now that we are one of the 2 other bidders 

Thanks Paul

no I wouldn't. 

I rather play Armstrong up front

Trying to raise capital by selling samuel, if he goes then we are bringing somebody in. We don’t let samual and brereton go with nobody brought in. Good sign if both go

4 hours ago, tomphil said:

A few weeks back i might have agreed on the outside chance of top 6. Think that's a huge long shot now for a number of reasons and unless they can dig out a couple or real good signings there's not much point aiming for much.  Might as well start getting the ducks in a row for next season, hopefully with a fresh ambitious approach although that would need big changes imo.

Costly loans now and silly, cosy, investment signings will just push us towards a fire sale because of FFP in the near future.

We could always look to play a new style next season as this year we have clearly had too much possession ??

• Like 1

I have read many, many comments re Brereton on this board like he has no idea, he is not a footballer, he is a waste of money, etc.

However in fairness to the guy I have never had the privilege of seeing him play in his correct position aside from the odd cameo.  He has been played, extremely spasmodically, starting about once every 3 or 4 months and other times brought on as a sub and been asked to play on the wing.

It may be correct that all of the above comments not a footballer, etc. but I can’t make that call as the situation he has been put in has been impossible.  As a result his confidence must be shattered and if Pardew is serious about wanting him on loan then that should be taken for the sake of the club and Brereton himself.  The way he has been treated by Mowbray is disgraceful and he is not the first.  Mowbrays man management skills are appalling and something needs to be done about it.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Trying to raise capital by selling samuel, if he goes then we are bringing somebody in. We don’t let samual and brereton go with nobody brought in. Good sign if both go

Yep I would move Armstrong up front and let him replace Dack goals. He is the best finisher we got at the club in my opinion. 

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
2 hours ago, OssyLad said:

Yeah he’s not the best, but he’s still only young. 7million is a lot and it was a gamble but the criticism Big Ben gets is disgraceful in my opinion. He came in barbers other day with his head down and barely said a word. If the rumours are true and he does go on loan. I hope it works out for him and proves us all wrong 

Care to give an example of this disgraceful criticism and where it originates?

Is it on here, or is it on social media? 
Only stuff I’ve seen on here has related to the fee we paid for him and his lack of goals or people’s views on his ability so far. 

• Like 1

• Moderation Lead
Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Yep I would move Armstrong up front and let him replace Dack goals. He is the best finisher we got at the club in my opinion. 

I’d say third best. Dack and Graham are better finishers than him. 
He’s certainly the best of the rest, by some distance as well, I might add!

• Like 6

39 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Not the most important of news at all, but I see Tom White has had his loan at Barrow extended and it's looking more and more like he was yet another pointless signing. He's 22, time for him to crack on, but instead we signed him, played him for about 8 u23 games, then shipped him back on loan for the season to the same poor level he came from, Conference, where we will learn absolutely nothing about his improvement. It's only a 2 year contract he has signed too, so come the summer there will be 1 year left. What was the point?

I assumed we bought him mostly for the u23s, but then we shipped him off after not very long so it wasn't that either. It was reported by a few on here he was playing pretty well for them, so it's not like he just hasn't met our expectations. Why did we bother? Little decisions like this do add up when there's enough of them.

Yes , our scouting network at it’s glorious best .

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Graham is head and shoulders the best finisher but his legs look to have pretty much gone.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

mowbray would absolutely ruin rhodes,god alone knows what he`d do with him,i don`t think tony would recognise his unique talent of just scoring goals,more than likely he`d be on the bench,up front on his own or on the wing,the way we play is not set up for him,it`d be a disaster

There's a few other managers had a go at doing that since he left here.

He's no target man but strangely he had a lot of success here when lurking up top on his own 

19 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Armstrong can’t play the lone striker role. Add Gally out wide whipping them in and he’ll be feeding off scraps. 

Edited by Gavlar Somerset Rover!
  • Like 3

23 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Armstrong can’t play the lone striker role. Add Gally out wide whipping them in and he’ll be feeding off scraps. 

Well I have been saying towards the end of last week and this week about playing 2 up front. Armstrong with either Graham or Gallagher as his partner. 

Would love Maddison and Rhodes, would be 2 key additions. Armstrong might post ok numbers, with Graham rarely featuring, Gallagher and Brereton crap, and Downing and Holtby being clever players but no regular scorers, them 2 would give us a far more tangible threat.

If we are outbid by Charlton or Birmingham then we have problems.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

£2.5 million is an absolute bargain for Maddison and if we lose out to Charlton on this one then that surely says all we need to know about Mowbray and Waggot.

Get this deal done, it could go a long way to reinvigorating our season. 

I can't see us spending £2.5m in January.

In fact, I can't see us spending anything in January unless we shift a few to free up wages. 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, bob fleming said:

This. Along with 4000’s post. Why buy two strikers for so much money if it was never the intention to play them both, in their normal position at the same time? Why buy so many midfielders when apparently there isn’t one amongst them that can play the Dack role? 

Fully understand that you go with one up front when Dack is fit, but don’t we “need to have different ways of playing”?

Putting Brereton and Gallagher out wide does neither of them any favours - evidently. I’ve said it for months (not on here admittedly!) but no defence would fancy playing against Graham and Gallagher with a team whipping crosses into the box. Or Arma, maybe even Brereton would benefit from playing with a strike partner (why haven’t we even tried this?). We just don’t have that in our locker it would appear. Downing can cross a ball though. Rankin Costello? Chapman? But your limiting your options when there’s only one striker to aim at.

I’d go 4-4-2 and to hell with it. Get organised, disciplined, stick to the system and let the other team worry about us for a change. Wide men drop back in when we don’t have the ball and help the full backs / midfield. 

For whatever reason Mowbray is so negative it’s untrue.  I agree with your comments wholeheartedly but in our set up and by playing so narrow that I believe anyone with a very basic knowledge of football could choose a team of journeymen and set them up to adequately defend against us.

Brereton and Gallagher have not been helped by pushing them wide in unnatural positions but having said that I think that there is enough talent in that squad to be effective in this division, all it needs is the set up to be right.  Unfortunately I am coming to the conclusion that Mowbray is not the man to be able to sort it out.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If we get outbid by Charlton,its embarrassing and very, very poor budget management. 

If ever there was a time to spend £2.5 million its now to replace Dack. We spent 6 on a player we neither need nor use. 

Very poor budget management, indeed.

Look at all the money pissed away and we have managed the play-off positions for one hour or something in the last 8 years.

FFP about to rear its head again, so rinse and repeat of 2016 coming around the corner.

Ambitious owners?-Rubbish

• Like 7