BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

51 minutes ago, bob fleming said:

This. Along with 4000’s post. Why buy two strikers for so much money if it was never the intention to play them both, in their normal position at the same time? Why buy so many midfielders when apparently there isn’t one amongst them that can play the Dack role? 

Fully understand that you go with one up front when Dack is fit, but don’t we “need to have different ways of playing”?

Putting Brereton and Gallagher out wide does neither of them any favours - evidently. I’ve said it for months (not on here admittedly!) but no defence would fancy playing against Graham and Gallagher with a team whipping crosses into the box. Or Arma, maybe even Brereton would benefit from playing with a strike partner (why haven’t we even tried this?). We just don’t have that in our locker it would appear. Downing can cross a ball though. Rankin Costello? Chapman? But your limiting your options when there’s only one striker to aim at.

I’d go 4-4-2 and to hell with it. Get organised, disciplined, stick to the system and let the other team worry about us for a change. Wide men drop back in when we don’t have the ball and help the full backs / midfield. 

Oh Bob, you're so'90's.  !!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Venkys happy to pay (as always). They have one eye on FFP.

The only thing I’ve seen in relation to restrictions on money was TM saying we didn’t have the money to go out and replace Dack. Which at £10-£20m is kind of self explanatory. The other issue at play here is that they were also budgeting on selling more tickets and likely cashing in on Dack in the summer. But ultimately, we had a budget for this window and we still have it. Dacks injury and the form of Brereton and Gallagher means we now have to add an attacker.

Not skint. No restrictions imposed by the owners. Just business as usual.

Really, really, really !?!?

IMO, all this stuff about 'having conversations', 'making bids', 'having a budget' etc is all nonsense and 'window dressing' for our supporters - sadly, some will buy it!

I said before the transfer window, IMO, we didn't have a transfer pot to p1ss in and transfer fees in plus wages saved would far outweigh transfer fees out and wages paid.

Let's see who's nearer to the mark come 31 Jan..

• Like 4

✌
1 minute ago, Mercer said:

IMO, all this stuff about 'having conversations', 'making bids', 'having a budget' etc is all nonsense and 'window dressing' for our supporters - sadly, some will buy it!

I said before the transfer window, IMO, we didn't have a transfer pot to p1ss in and transfer fees in plus wages saved would far outweigh transfer fees out and wages paid.

I guess losing Mulgrew, Samuel and loaning out Brereton might make a small dent, but we must be nearing the FFP threshold.

The end of January will be much like last year, I feel.

Ambition 0 Cowdenbeath 3

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Whatever ‘conversations’ means in mowbrays  world you can reckon Evans getting done on Saturday  (thus scuppering a possible transfer fee and saving high wages) will have put the skids under any transfer activity.

Defenders aren’t coming. Sanctions are coming .

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Yes but pompy gambling on promotion, asking for 3 mill, which we don’t have 

His goal record is very good but he plays left wing for the most part . As much as we need goals surely not gonna blow all his budget on a wide player with all the other obvious deficiencies???

oh wait ......

what the hell goes on in our scouting dept  ???  More to the point we invest heavily in it , talk of extending it into Europe just as we run out of money and FFP is ready to bite our asses. It’s more like Gerry Cottles Circus by the week .

still if the 3 match Ladies ticket offer goes well , we will be in good shape !!! Jesus Hector Christ .

Venkys don't want to spend. We hear this claptrap around every window that there's money there to invest and they want to do it and the weeks tick by and nothing happens and then the excuses come along. Difficult time to do business, not spending for the sake of it, deals fell through etc.

Granted if they gave Mowbray £10 million to spend I'd have little faith in him finding the right players to improve us and would more likely squander it on a couple who would make a handful of substitute appearances.

The club is run as some sort of distant franchise which is allocated an annual budget at the summit meeting and that's your lot, unless in exceptional circumstances when special requests can be made.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Hi Mack said:

If you were Venkys, would you give TM more money? I mean the last 2 cash signings have been massive failures up to this point.

We can slag the Venkys all we want but if it was your money would you be happy?

I’d sack him all day tomorrow if I was venkys. He’s worse than Coyle.

• Like 2

With all the talks about FFP and with no money to spend plus how fragile our team looks, surely MGP should sign till the end of the year?

From the interview he gave a couple of days ago it seemed like he was having a one week trial with the club. 

Is there anything in that or is it just me?

P.S. whoever thinks MGP could do no better than Galagher, Holtby, Bennet etc on the wing should have their heads checked

3 hours ago, skous18 said:

With all the talks about FFP and with no money to spend plus how fragile our team looks, surely MGP should sign till the end of the year?

From the interview he gave a couple of days ago it seemed like he was having a one week trial with the club. 

P.S. whoever thinks MGP could do no better than Galagher, Holtby, Bennet etc on the wing should have their heads checked

Surely he shouldn't, because he is so incredibly far past it. Of course he can't do better than them anymore.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, 47er said:

Oh Bob, you're so'90's.  !!

It’s the future I tell you! Just needs the likes of Klopp and Pep to get on board the bandwagon!

Seriously though, it’s the Championship, not the top flight. There are numerous examples of teams going up by being organised, well drilled, working hard, sticking with a plan and with the same players in order to do so. We’ve tried every permutation under the sun, with Dack now out I’d give 442 a go. I seem to remember it being moderately entertaining to boot.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, skous18 said:

Or play actual wide men like Downing or Chapman there and don't make a fairytale signing that's well past his best.

• Like 7

Bloke I used to know came into a moderate amount of cash. Bought himself a flashy car to impress the ladies (Maserati Bi-turbo Quattroporte I seem to remember). He used the car for commuting to his (mundane) job, and complained bitterly at the cost of servicing and repairs when it inevitably went wrong. Everyone said it was the wrong car for what he wanted it for, but he insisted on keeping it for commuting, despite the cost. Eventually the car was shunted into the field behind his house, and for a few years it was used for occasional muddy joy-riding by the local yoof. One day the fire brigade had to come and put the mysterious fire that had started in the old car. He tells everyone today that Maserati is a rubbish brand and that they should stick to cars that are designed for the job you need them for.

Just saying....

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, bob fleming said:

It’s the future I tell you! Just needs the likes of Klopp and Pep to get on board the bandwagon!

Seriously though, it’s the Championship, not the top flight. There are numerous examples of teams going up by being organised, well drilled, working hard, sticking with a plan and with the same players in order to do so. We’ve tried every permutation under the sun, with Dack now out I’d give 442 a go. I seem to remember it being moderately entertaining to boot.

Didn't City go 442 on Sunday with Aguero and Jesus upfront? Won 6-1 away and all.

• Like 1

If we sell Mulgrew, Smallwood and Samuel and loan out Davenport and Brereton theres surely will be possible to bring Maddison in and a decent centre half and striker on loan.

I would take Glenn from Brighton or Sharp from Sheff U and loan a Prem League left back as cover. Olsson on a free would had been perfect and why not Rhodes?

9 hours ago, 4000Holes said:

For whatever reason Mowbray is so negative it’s untrue.  I agree with your comments wholeheartedly but in our set up and by playing so narrow that I believe anyone with a very basic knowledge of football could choose a team of journeymen and set them up to adequately defend against us.

Brereton and Gallagher have not been helped by pushing them wide in unnatural positions but having said that I think that there is enough talent in that squad to be effective in this division, all it needs is the set up to be right.  Unfortunately I am coming to the conclusion that Mowbray is not the man to be able to sort it out.

Thats more like it. Unleash the BAG multi million strikeforce. 

Edited by Brgav

54 minutes ago, neophox said:

If we sell Mulgrew, Smallwood and Samuel and loan out Davenport and Brereton theres surely will be possible to bring Maddison in and a decent centre half and striker on loan.

I would take Glenn from Brighton or Sharp from Sheff U and loan a Prem League left back as cover. Olsson on a free would had been perfect and why not Rhodes?

Are you on first name terms with Murray? Give your mate a bell and get him to Ewood! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Amo said:

Mowbray is too clever for his own good. He's an old-school manager trying to be a modern day tactician. He's constantly overthinking and overcomplicating things, chopping and changing from one week to the next. No room for wingers in today’s game, too “flighty” and “maverick”, so he shoehorns strikers out there where they're no use to anyone.  

Now you mention it, and I hadn't thought of it this way before, but playing strikers there is even less defensively sound than playing attacking wingers there. I'm starting to realise that his whole 'two and a half attackers' and needing a 'defensive winger' thing he kept saying the other season was really just another excuse to wedge Bennett in. He is happy enough to just play two outright strikers on the flanks so the problem can't ever have been that wingers aren't defensive enough.

58 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Now you mention it, and I hadn't thought of it this way before, but playing strikers there is even less defensively sound than playing attacking wingers there. I'm starting to realise that his whole 'two and a half attackers' and needing a 'defensive winger' thing he kept saying the other season was really just another excuse to wedge Bennett in. He is happy enough to just play two outright strikers on the flanks so the problem can't ever have been that wingers aren't defensive enough.

In fairness, Bennett rarely if ever plays there 

1 hour ago, Amo said:

Mowbray is too clever for his own good. He's an old-school manager trying to be a modern day tactician. He's constantly overthinking and overcomplicating things, chopping and changing from one week to the next. No room for wingers in today’s game, too “flighty” and “maverick”, so he shoehorns strikers out there where they're no use to anyone.  

Pissing away £12m worth of investment with no improvement on the pitch is a sackable offence IMO. 

Indeed. Nail on head I'm afraid