BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

why Poor? 

Both signed for low fees but not good enough for top half/top 6 championship team. Now not good enough quality wise

So why sign them when they clearly weren't good enough and pay good money and then not even get our money back when they move on?

Poor management in anyone;s book and after the Brereton and Gallagher debacles typical of the Ewood setup

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Now now Chaddy I don't think either were signed with the belief/understanding that they wouldn't be good enough for a top half/ top 6 (neither of which we currently are btw). They would have been signed with the intention they were here for the long haul. I can't see bell leaving, but I do find selling Samuel at a loss pretty odd. I thought he should have been given a chance. 

Samuel and Bell is out of contract in the summer so you aren't going to get big fees for them. 

Samuel wants to play 1st team football. Never going to get that here

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I think we do have the players. The issue has been we have missed chances. Graham and Dack could go through a game with little service and little impact, but then 1 chance comes up and they take it. 

We did not create enough when Graham and Dack played and they actually compete in a game.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

People are obsess with Rhodes. 

Can Rovers afford Rhodes's wages? No we cant. 

People need to look realistically at the situation. We haven't be linked to striker all of the transfer window. We have been linked with Jordan Jones and Ronan Curtis this window. So from that I take that Adam Armstrong will move up front if we sign a winger 

It's possible he would be loaned at a % of his wage, or even Rhodes will take a pay cut to.get games.

But essentially I agree with you. Very unlikely.

It would be mad not to sign a striker though considering we just don't have any goals in the team.

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Samuel and Bell is out of contract in the summer so you aren't going to get big fees for them. 

Samuel wants to play 1st team football. Never going to get that here

If they were any good, they would have been offered deals here. I have to say I have been especially disappointed with bell. I expected a very different player.

Never going to get it here? Well it doesn't look like it, but that's a bit strange when you consider we have Gallagher on the wing and Brereton starting upfront twice recently. Is Samuel really a worse option than those 2 in those positions? Not sure and that's not saying that Samuel is amazing or anything. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

Oh yes I’m sure Rhodes would be a fantastic signing trying to get on the end of Bennett and Bell’s crosses. Godzilla would have a task connecting with our players’ deliveries bar downing.

1 minute ago, jim mk2 said:

So why sign them when they clearly weren't good enough and pay good money and then not even get our money back when they move on?

well Samuel was signed in the summer we went down and his 1st 6 months here he did very well. Now 2 years on with promotion to Championship achieved and us currently top half chasing playoffs, Samuel isn't going to get us into the top 6. 

Bell was another low cost signing but 2 years now he is decent player at this level but nowhere good quality to be 1st choice left back in promotion chasing team

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

well Samuel was signed in the summer we went down and his 1st 6 months here he did very well. Now 2 years on with promotion to Championship achieved and us currently top half chasing playoffs, Samuel isn't going to get us into the top 6. 

Bell was another low cost signing but 2 years now he is decent player at this level but nowhere good quality to be 1st choice left back in promotion chasing team

So both decent players according to you but we can't even get back the £700k we paid for them?

Poor management

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Chaddy I mentioned this earlier, but we aren't actually top half. When you say "chasing" do you mean like a dog chases a car as in it generally doesn't catch it? Or maybe it's tail would be a better analogy and more apt. 

Bell isn't good enough, but at the same time he's the only option we have at this point, bar moving Downing back again. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

3 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

So both decent players according to you but we can't even get back the £700k we paid for them?

Poor management

The moneyball Brentford model now being used as an example to build like after using about 5 other clubs according to excuse needed will need better recruitment than that.

They are the very types you should be getting for a few hundred grand and low wages, polishing then punting on for double the money without it being too much of a loss to the best 11.

Fail.

8 minutes ago, joey_big_nose said:

It's possible he would be loaned at a % of his wage, or even Rhodes will take a pay cut to.get games.

But essentially I agree with you. Very unlikely.

It would be mad not to sign a striker though considering we just don't have any goals in the team.

I don't see why Sheffield Wednesday would loan him out at a % of his wage especially if they want Wickham. 

Looking at who we being linked leads me to think that Armstrong will play up front. 

8 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

If they were any good, they would have been offered deals here. I have to say I have been especially disappointed with bell. I expected a very different player.

Never going to get it here? Well it doesn't look like it, but that's a bit strange when you consider we have Gallagher on the wing and Brereton starting upfront twice recently. Is Samuel really a worse option than those 2 in those positions? Not sure and that's not saying that Samuel is amazing or anything. 

Well you have your opinions on players. I have stated my opinions on all 4 players you have mentioned. 

3 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Poor management

both out of contract in the summer, so you aren't going to get the fee you might want

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Chaddy I mentioned this earlier, but we aren't actually top half. When you say "chasing" do you mean like a dog chases a car as in it generally doesn't catch it? Or maybe it's tail would be a better analogy and more apt. 

Bell isn't good enough, but at the same time he's the only option we have at this point, bar moving Downing back again. 

Well this is why I have said time after time we need a left back in. 

I haven't look at the table since we finish playing on Saturday. We are 5 points off the playoffs and I believe we can get the playoffs if we performed well enough and stop leaking goals. Plus play our best finisher IMO Armstrong up front. 

Last January we were just outside the play-offs and the carrot of promotion was dangling there as it is now. 'Only 3, 4, 5 points off' as though similar won't be said about another 9-10 sides between now and May.

Last January we could see defence needed work, the club went one step better than strengthening and actually weakened the defence, derailing the entire season.

Similar story this time around only most attention is being paid to attack given Dack's injury and pitiful record of other attackers at the club. Will the club strengthen? Won't hold my breath.

Got the excuses lined up though - tough time to do business, have faith in those already here, FFP, wages are expensive. 

• Like 2

They'll persist with Armstrong he'll get a few goals and increase his value i very much think he's this seasons project for that. Also it still gives tactical Tony license to move Gally there every now and then to keep him involved and pacify those who've signed off the deal.

Why would he spend money they haven't got and threaten that scenario he's created when the only aim is midtable ?

2 hours ago, K-Hod said:

Rhodes scores goals, but we don’t create enough chances, so it would be a waste of a wage really.

2 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

Agreed - and as I say, he'd play as a striker on his own. Tony isn't suddenly going 4-4-2 IMO. Rhodes is the least suited striker to being the 'man' up top on his own in the history of football.

The thing with Rhodes is that he can score goals even in teams that dont give him particularly good supply. In his first season, he played as a lone striker (with a number 10 usually) and also the team behind him were fairly dismal. He nearly scored 30 goals. 

Gallagher for example is the polar opposite in terms of anticipating chances and his movement.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Poor management in anyone;s book and after the Brereton and Gallagher debacles typical of the Ewood setup

Samuel was signed for little money to help get us out of League 1 with potential to make the step up to the championship. He played his part in our promotion before injuries but hasn’t made the grade in the Champ. No big deal.

Bell was voted in the League 1 team of the year and at 22 seen as having potential. He was bought for peanuts and hasn’t kicked on. Again, nothing to see here. See ya! 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well you have your opinions on players. I have stated my opinions on all 4 players you have mentioned. 

I haven't look at the table since we finish playing on Saturday. We are 5 points off the playoffs and I believe we can get the playoffs if we performed well enough and stop leaking goals. Plus play our best finisher IMO Armstrong up front. 

You are trying to make out that they haven't been poor and/or disappointing signings and I can't see how that argument can be made. Fair enough though, that's your opinion. I am referring to Bell and Samuel. 

That's fair enough, but currently we are not in the top half. The league is so open this year, I think it's a great opportunity to get into the play-offs, however ultimately I don't believe we have the quality or Mowbray the tactical nous to deliver when the chips are down. I think we might come top 10 though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

They'll persist with Armstrong he'll get a few goals and increase his value i very much think he's this seasons project for that. Also it still gives tactical Tony license to move Gally there every now and then to keep him involved and pacify those who've signed off the deal.

Why would he spend money they haven't got and threaten that scenario he's created when the only aim is midtable ?

To be fair Mowbray did say the aim was play-offs, although he has been quite on that lately. I think the aim of mid table is actually driven by a lot of fans. I read it a lot on social media before the season started that they think we will finish 10-14th and that's fine. Personally I don't believe it is, because this looks like one of those years where a slightly above average team could make the play-offs if they found some consistency at the right time. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I don't see why Sheffield Wednesday would loan him out at a % of his wage especially if they want Wickham. 

Looking at who we being linked leads me to think that Armstrong will play up front. 

both out of contract in the summer, so you aren't going to get the fee you might want

Well this is why I have said time after time we need a left back in. 

If Armstrong plays up front from now, who holds the ball up and who plays wide right?

41 minutes ago, Swanson said:

Is this something you know or just a suggestion? He signed for Strømsgodset i august 2019, joining for free from a 3 division club in Spain. They looked very likely to go down last season, but managed to survive due to a good spell in the authum. Likes to run forward with the ball and can also play on the wing.

Just someone I had seen before and when it was mentioned we might be signing a French LB, he sprang to mind. So, just a suggestion/guess/thought.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I wonder would Danny Butterworth have gotten a look in if he wasn't injured? He looks raw, but certainly has something about him. 

I think he would have. Unfortunate for him that he suffers his own injury just before Dack got his as I believe he would have got some minutes. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

You are trying to make out that they haven't been poor and/or disappointing signings and I can't see how that argument can be made. Fair enough though, that's your opinion. I am referring to Bell and Samuel. 

That's fair enough, but currently we are not in the top half. The league is so open this year, I think it's a great opportunity to get into the play-offs, however ultimately I don't believe we have the quality or Mowbray the tactical nous to deliver when the chips are down. I think we might come top 10 though. 

I agree both have been poor signings as I said previously. I think you have misunderstood my opinion

10 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If Armstrong plays up front from now, who holds the ball up and who plays wide right?

Haven't I told you how I would play plenty of time? why don't you look back what I have reply to you in the recent past instead of me keep repeating myself and annoying other members with repeating posts after posts

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 1