BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

If he walked back in he'd probably have a good game or two like he did at Wigan, maybe even score but soon he'd drop back again. Trouble is with Charlie he isn't a physical defender and his legs are almost gone so you'd get decent games after a rest because he is a quality footballer. However he just can't keep it up, shame but this is a level above him now.

• Like 1

Interesting one. If Mulgrew has decided to return and Mowbray hasn't requested it then I can foresee some difficulties arising. Waggott, Cheston and co. Will have budgeted for Mulgrew being out of the way until the summer. His return will cut off any contribution from Wigan towards his salary and leave our budget even more stretched.

The whole deal had a whiff of something not quite right to start with and I dont buy the party line that it was purely due to him facing increasingly limited game time.

I'm of the view that someone had to make way to accommodate Tosin and Cunningham's wages and in the end, after a summer of shenanigans, Mulgrew was the sacrificial lamb. Completely out of the blue, and Mowbray had made him captain v Charlton.

Not sure what his return means. Apparently Evans is out for the foreseeable with a horrific facial injury so perhaps he is bolstering numbers there too.

Personally if nothing else I'd use Mulgrew as a last 20 minute sub just for his free kick ability.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JHRover said:

Interesting one. If Mulgrew has decided to return and Mowbray hasn't requested it then I can foresee some difficulties arising. Waggott, Cheston and co. Will have budgeted for Mulgrew being out of the way until the summer. His return will cut off any contribution from Wigan towards his salary and leave our budget even more stretched.

The whole deal had a whiff of something not quite right to start with and I dont buy the party line that it was purely due to him facing increasingly limited game time.

I'm of the view that someone had to make way to accommodate Tosin and Cunningham's wages and in the end, after a summer of shenanigans, Mulgrew was the sacrificial lamb. Completely out of the blue, and Mowbray had made him captain v Charlton.

Not sure what his return means. Apparently Evans is out for the foreseeable with a horrific facial injury so perhaps he is bolstering numbers there too.

Personally if nothing else I'd use Mulgrew as a last 20 minute sub just for his free kick ability.

In a back five, I think he's worth playing, definitely should be No 1. sub defender at the very least. Should've never gone, but a weird situation with the club seemingly not excited about him returning one bit.

9 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Do the people working at Rovers have any idea what is happening at Rovers? 

I actually meant the powers that be Jim. I gave up trying to second guess happenings from Ewood some time ago.

Whenever I think I have seen it all Rovers throw in another curve ball. Very worrying if TM didn't want or ask for him back, as we have to have him as no one else can have or take him! One way or another if unwanted it's a drain on our resources. 

As it is maybe Mulgrew is the replacement for Cunningham? IE Williams moves to left back again. Or maybe as a squad player with Evans our for a while and most of our defenders getting injured. Or perhaps it will allow TM to play 3 at the back having another centre half in the squad. Who knows? 

What is certain that as part of a back 4 Mulgrew is defensive suicide and we badly need his goals and set pieces. Could be an interesting drama to follow. 

3 minutes ago, arbitro said:

I actually meant the powers that be Jim. I gave up trying to second guess happenings from Ewood some time ago.

Me too. But I also think the senior "managers" haven't a clue what's going on either.  

They clearly weren't expecting Mulgrew to suddenly come back

Edited by jim mk2

4 minutes ago, JoeH said:

In a back five, I think he's worth playing, definitely should be No 1. sub defender at the very least. Should've never gone, but a weird situation with the club seemingly not excited about him returning one bit.

That was my initial reaction when hearing the news. Given a lack of wingers in the squad I think three central defenders and wingbacks gives us more license to play two strikers up top instead of shoving players out wide who are clearly more suited to playing centrally.

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

I wouldn't rule out a mutual termination. Mulgrew just chills out for a few months until the new season, we get to cut the wage, he gets to move back up to Scotland potentially for a summer move. Time with the kids etc...

Could explain it maybe.

He's got 18 months left to run on his contract, I can't se him just walking away from that unless he were to get a substantial upfront payoff. 

2 hours ago, TheWeasel said:

I think across the board the centre back market is still a bit more baron than a few years ago on top of even more transfer inflation in the last few years. I think we can get around £10m for Darragh

Hmm, I’d be very surprised if we got that much for him mate. 

40 minutes ago, JHRover said:

"Sacrificial lamb" ?

10 minutes ago, DE. said:

Say you signed for a season long loan with Wigan and we don't need you back here, sorry. 

If the contract says he has the right to move back to his parent club during January, then there is nothing the parent club can do to stop it.