BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

• Backroom

Getting Rhodes back would make sense in Dack's absence.

He necessitates 442, which Dack struggles with.

Might work if Gallagher plays the Gestede role, with Holtby and Armstrong supplying the ammo into the box either onto Rhodes or for Gally to knock down.

Bialkowski
McKenna Ogilvie Heneghan Fox
Schmidt Curtis Gorrin Rathbone
Rhodes 

You’ve Basically got a team there of all our rumoured signings this window that could get promotion from League One and probably stay up in this league ?

But none of them are exactly, WOW, are they? ??‍♂️

How far we’ve fallen.

52 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Would think the remaining 18 months would carry a cost to Rovers of at least £2.5million including employer's NI.

If I was in Mulgrew's shoes, I'd want circa £1.65million to walk away with £1million net.  IMO, Mulgrew holds all the the aces.

IMO, another ridiculous deal for a player 34 years of age in a few weeks time - will be well into his 36th year when his contract ends.

Seems a bit high. 

Where you getting those numbers from?

Mowbray must have had wind about Mulgrew exercising his right to return. Another costly bench warmer because he wont start. Far too slow in this league and any suggestion to play him at full back is daft, we'd have no wing attack (I know we don't now!) and it would play right into the opposition's favour. 

Can't see a way out of this as it reduces up any wages money available. 

5 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Bialkowski
McKenna Ogilvie Heneghan Fox
Schmidt Curtis Gorrin Rathbone
Rhodes 

You’ve Basically got a team there of all our rumoured signings this window that could get promotion from League One and probably stay up in this league ?

But none of them are exactly, WOW, are they? ??‍♂️

How far we’ve fallen.

So now we are playing with 10 men

I think some are missing the point here, CM chose to go back, it was his decision alone so that rules out a Rovers rethink on formation or indeed on any potential defender transfer in the let back position by way of initiating a recall.

Henaghan has signed for Blackpool until the end of the season.

The Rhodes scenario doesn’t add up if you ask me. Can Rovers adapt to a 4-4-2 with Gally and Rhodes being supplied by Downing, Armstrong, Holtby and Rothwell? The Central midfield is covered and the defence with a solid left back and injury free Nyambe would be solid enough.

If it does happen then I can only see a left back coming in as a permanent signing and Rhodes a stop gap. it would most certainly mean Brereton is away on loan because there would be no need for him unless we sell or let DG leave.

26 minutes ago, briansol said:

Biggest problem with Mulgrew coming back is another wage and more expenses added. The club was trying to shift out players to free up cash, instead we ended up with a fourth choice centre back. 

If we have genuinely given in to a player request to come back but he can’t play or won’t be sold then we really have lost the plot.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Out of contract in the summer. 

How good is he as a keeper? Whats his strengths? 

I dont really know much as I have only seen him in a handful om international u21 games.  My impression is that he is decent in the air and quite calm. He has got a good height. From interviews he seems likeable and ambitions.

• Backroom
11 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

I think some are missing the point here, CM chose to go back, it was his decision alone so that rules out a Rovers rethink on formation or indeed on any potential defender transfer in the let back position by way of initiating a recall.

Problem is whether we like it or not we now have a player in the squad on big wages potentially contributing nothing. If the Mulgrew recall came as a surprise to the club then we won't have him lined up to go anywhere and his options will be limited in terms of only being able to play for two clubs in a season in Europe. So our only options are to pay Mulgrew handsomely to play in the u23's or sit at home for at least six months, or try to get something out of him by playing him somewhere in the team - whether that be as a starter or a substitute.

Fair to say it's not a great position to be in.  

Edited by DE.

Big blow him coming back and taking a chunk out of a seemingly very limited budget with his wages. He is a massive defensive liability sadly as much as he is 10x the captain Bennett is and far better from dead balls than anyone else. Talk about him tearing up his contract and spending months doing nothing at his age is fanciful in the extreme, he would require a huge pay off so either way his return financially restricts us.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Big blow him coming back and taking a chunk out of a seemingly very limited budget with his wages. He is a massive defensive liability sadly as much as he is 10x the captain Bennett is and far better from dead balls than anyone else. Talk about him tearing up his contract and spending months doing nothing at his age is fanciful in the extreme, he would require a huge pay off so either way his return financially restricts us.

An injury or a suspension he would at least be on the bench. I reckon this season is gone already so they might as well plan for summer rather than any short term solutions.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Lie_still_Rover said:

I think it could be handy having Mulgrews set pieces.. The issue is where do you play him..I know he's slow, but Bell is pretty quick and that doesn't help him much..

Let's throw him in at left back, Tosin covering him and make the most of his set pieces- Downing ahead of him protecting him a bit. Then utilize his wizard like left foot.

NO!!! Far far far far far far far far far too slow to be our left back!! Hell fucking no!

You mention Bell's pace doesn't seem to help him. But it does at times. Mulgrew is defensively like Bell without the pace. We are already awful at left back, this would make us even worse.

Christ I can't even say I'm underwhelmed by the news he is coming back. Fairer to say I'm gutted. He did us sensational service at times did Charlie, but his day is long since gone and he is a total liability even in the realm of our liability defence. Set pieces are the only thing he has left, and did he even notch from a free kick at Wigan?

So several downsides to this.

1) Wage bill back up.

2) We will probably abandon any notion of looking for an actual CB until at least the summer, even though we desperately need good backup and competition for our best two.

3) If he ends up playing, we will regret it.

4) I'd rather see one of the youth defenders used than CM at this stage, if injuries kicked in.

The only 'incoming' so far and it's bad news.

• Like 1

Can just imagine TM saying tomorrow that CM needs to wait as the current defenders have been great and he needs to understand how his might team play !! 

He handed out Big contracts to these players and now he’s stuck ! 
The quicker this manager leaves our club the better ! Do the right thing and go 

btw hope he doesn’t get a single penny from Venkys ... 

what he’s done with the signings of BB and SG for a club like us Is sackable !

Edited by unleaded
  • Like 3

Think people are being a bit harsh on a guy who has been a great servant to this club

That said, my view is that if Mulgrew was to play for us again it would be defensive midfield alongside Travis rather than Central defence. With Evans out for the forseeable it only leaves Johnson as partner to Travis as Davenport is unlikely to be risked. 

Whatever it seems now that defensive replacements will have to wait till Summer and this window concentrate on attackers

• Like 2

we hav`nt got a cup to urinate in for this transfer window,but i tell you what,unless tony spends some cash in the summer we are in mortal danger of ending up back in 1st division,this squad has reached it`s zenith and needs overhauling,i think we`ll go down next season with the same squad,question is,do you trust mowbray to sign the right players??i know i don`t

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Chill mate. He has cut this short, not Rovers. It’s not an elaborate plan to replace Lenihan or Tosin. CM was deemed not good enough in September. That hasn’t changed.

But we have no money Paul. Zilch. Business decisions outweigh football decisions. Cheston will suggest who Mowbray needs to sell.

My guess is Mulgrew has asked Rovers to cut his loan deal short because he or his agent believe there is a concrete offer from elsewhere , whether that's MLS Oz Dubai wherever and Rovers are happy to comply as its saves them X% of his wages we are currently covering ...

... .. By the way are there any managerial vacancies in Scotland ?? He always struck me as the type that would fancy acrack at management 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, AJW said:

My guess is Mulgrew has asked Rovers to cut his loan deal short because he or his agent believe there is a concrete offer from elsewhere , whether that's MLS Oz Dubai wherever and Rovers are happy to comply as its saves them X% of his wages we are currently covering ...

... .. By the way are there any managerial vacancies in Scotland ?? He always struck me as the type that would fancy acrack at management 

But they'll still have to agree severance terms as it's unlikely someone will buy him.