BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think we have all debated to death the Brereton and Gallagher transfers. I'm bored of talking about it. 

my point was players out of contract and paying 2.5 million is wrong IMO

why shut the thread? Plenty of people are debating links and potential players we should target

Most of Championship clubs are struggling to made the signings they want! Just like every January window where most of signings will be done in the last week like always. 

To be fair some clubs seem to get business done early on occasion, we never do. Even once for it to look like we had some homework done it would be great. The games in January count too. 

6 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think we have all debated to death the Brereton and Gallagher transfers. I'm bored of talking about it

Then don't talk about it. We don't need your input on everything.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DE. said:

We seemed to do fine under Bowyer. Granted mostly domestic transfers but we brought in a lot of good players during that period, just didn't have the manager to get the best out of them. Mowbray has been here just under three years now, which is plenty of time to get a decent European scouting network up and running. With that said it shouldn't be up to the manager anyway, it's the type of thing that should be sorted out far higher up the chain. If Mowbray does leave and the next manager decides European scouting isn't important, do all these plans go into the bin? It's such an inefficient way to run things. 

The thread won't be shut, although I don't think Gavlar was literally saying we should lock it tbf, just noting we might as well for all the activity that's likely to occur between now and the end of the month. 

Well I have long be in favour of Sporting Director/head coach structure as I have posted time after time on here. And the role they do with the structure. What do you think and can you understand why I see this has the way forward? 

When Mowbray came in he was only head coach. Senior was Sporting director or whatever title he had. I don't think Venkys would fund a European Scouting network in league 1 IMO. We been in the championship now 18 months and the European Scouting network up and running now. We have or just about appoint an European Scout. I have tweeted Rich Sharpe for him to ask Mowbray/Club about this. He will try to get an answer tomorrow.. I have posted recently the advert for the European scout. 

Transfers in January majority always happened the last week of the window. Not in favour of these daft transfer windows we have. 

9 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

To be fair some clubs seem to get business done early on occasion, we never do. Even once for it to look like we had some homework done it would be great. The games in January count too. 

Yes some clubs get some transfers over the line but the vast majority of transfers will in the last week of window. 

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well I have long be in favour of Sporting Director/head coach structure as I have posted time after time on here. And the role they do with the structure. What do you think and can you understand why I see this has the way forward? 

When Mowbray came in he was only head coach. Senior was Sporting director or whatever title he had. I don't think Venkys would fund a European Scouting network in league 1 IMO. We been in the championship now 18 months and the European Scouting network up and running now. We have or just about appoint an European Scout. I have tweeted Rich Sharpe for him to ask Mowbray/Club about this. He will try to get an answer tomorrow.. I have posted recently the advert for the European scout. 

Transfers in January majority always happened the last week of the window. Not in favour of these daft transfer windows we have. 

My God 18 months is a long time to take to advertise a role. I worked in recruitment previously and I don't understand why it would take so long. I assume this person will need to set things up and hire a team himself? Or has work started on this? Has anyone been scouting Europe for the past 18 months? 

• Backroom
1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

I certainly agree that a Sporting Director/DOF style approach would make more sense long-term than having the manager 100% dictate our scouting and transfer policies. With the average time in the job being relatively short for managers these days it makes far more sense to have certain elements of the club run at a higher level leaving the manager to deal largely with the training and matchday duties. 

It was clear when we were in L1 that the aim was to get straight back into the Championship, evidenced by spending on the likes of Dack, Samuel, etc and not selling any of our players, so I don't see why Venky's would balk at a long-term commitment of improving our scouting network. Who knows though, making sense of their decision making is beyond me. 

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

My God 18 months is a long time to take to advertise a role. I worked in recruitment previously and I don't understand why it would take so long. I assume this person will need to set things up and hire a team himself? Or has work started on this? Has anyone been scouting Europe for the past 18 months? 

We DIDNT advertise the role 18 months ago. We advertised in August/September 2019. 

Did you read the advert for the job? would you like to post it for you read pal?

50 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well that is what we are trying to get to be investing in proper scouting system. it isn't something that can be set up very easily or quickly but we need to get it right and working right. Certain manager got rid of the scouting system we had under Hughes and Allardyce. 

Good player on his day. Never really get a chance under Bowyer here. He was set for a move to Newcastle from Brentford before getting injured. 

The Dingles were sniffing around Judge also at that time, they seem to have a thing for Brentford players

3 minutes ago, DE. said:

I certainly agree that a Sporting Director/DOF style approach would make more sense long-term than having the manager 100% dictate our scouting and transfer policies. With the average time in the job being relatively short for managers these days it makes far more sense to have certain elements of the club run at a higher level leaving the manager to deal largely with the training and matchday duties. 

It was clear when we were in L1 that the aim was to get straight back into the Championship, evidenced by spending on the likes of Dack, Samuel, etc and not selling any of our players, so I don't see why Venky's would balk at a long-term commitment of improving our scouting network. Who knows though, making sense of their decision making is beyond me. 

Thanks for the reply. I agree with you points and roles under the Sporting Director/head coach system. Look at the success at Norwich with Webber and Farke

30 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think we have all debated to death the Brereton and Gallagher transfers. I'm bored of talking about it. 

my point was players out of contract and paying 2.5 million is wrong IMO

why shut the thread? Plenty of people are debating links and potential players we should target

Most of Championship clubs are struggling to made the signings they want! Just like every January window where most of signings will be done in the last week like always. 

Because most people have come round to the fact that Mowbray is incapable of spending any budget wisely. Hopefully you'll get there soon. 

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

We DIDNT advertise the role 18 months ago. We advertised in August/September 2019. 

Did you read the advert for the job? would you like to post it for you read pal?

I think his point is promoted in May 2018. Advertised in August 2019.

Whilst not 18 months, 15 months is still a long time from promotion to advertising the role.

That plan should have been in place during the league one season as what will happen IF we get promotion.

Just now, Hasta said:

I think his point is promoted in May 2018. Advertised in August 2019.

Whilst not 18 months, 15 months is still a long time from promotion to advertising the role.

That plan should have been in place during the league one season as what will happen IF we get promotion.

Well I cant answered that question why an European network was set up sooner. Maybe waiting for Venkys to sign it off a problem or bringing in the right staff? I don't know. I couldn't think of a better job then watching loads of football games as a job myself

8 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

15 months ago. Why has it taken 15 months to advertise the role? Will this person need to hire a team and set the thing up? Ya, please,share the advert, job description too if you have it. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well that is what we are trying to get to be investing in proper scouting system. it isn't something that can be set up very easily or quickly but we need to get it right and working right. Certain manager got rid of the scouting system we had under Hughes and Allardyce. 

Trying and failing by the looks of things.

Never expect anything today, it's always milk and honey tomorrow under this regime yet tomorrow never comes.

The owners have been here nearly 10 years. Mowbray 3. To still be talking of developing scouting now is laughable. They dismantled whatever we had and neglected it for years.

Irony of all ironies is that in Bowyer and his mates they had a happy camp and a very good scouting network making them money on the cheap.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Thanks. Ya, I would expect that as a minimum at any championship club.  15 months is a long time to wait for that. The recruitment piece isn't rocket science, that ad should have been up quicker. I wonder why it took so long. Anyway,will be good when someone starts alright. 

I just wonder has anything started already, it mentions the person will have a team of part-time scouts,but have they been hired yet?

• Backroom
4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Thanks. Ya, I would expect that as a minimum at any championship club.  15 months is a long time to wait for that. The recruitment piece isn't rocket science, that ad should have been up quicker. I wonder why it took so long. Anyway,will be good when someone starts alright. 

I just wonder has anything started already, it mentions the person will have a team of part-time scouts,but have they been hired yet?

There have been various reports about us having scouts at European games so you'd assume we already have some kind of structure in place.

• Like 1

• Backroom
11 minutes ago, Bohinen 22 said:

Madine to Blackpool on a free is a good signing. Two years after costing 6 million. Hope this comment isn't deleted like my last.

It won't be, this comment is rather less antagonistic than your last one.

• Like 1

Although I don’t expect a busy one; I wouldn’t read into anything Rich Sharpe reports. Literally knows the same as us, never once broken an exclusive story whilst being with the LT. All reactive to other journo’s stories. Perfect example being Ronan Curtis.