BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

2 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I know ya. Cunningham was the best we had there this season insofar as he was a natural left back with pedigree at this level. Now we are doing the round peg in square holes if Bell doesn't step up. 

Expensive square pegs in round holes. 

I know it's unavoidable in many ways we've come to that but i'm just highlighting the kind of thing that contributes to pushing this club towards FFP again.

Fact is Bell was the back up LB to Williams and would probably have been to Cunningham but time and again he's proved he isn't up to it. Competent cover should be there as now is the time to claim that spot. Expensively paid old players filling there who are very unlikely to be here next season. 

So back to square one.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Depends I suppose. My initial reaction would be the same ,but perhaps it underestimates Mulgrew.  He is a baller, very good technically. Got isolated at centre back and he got caught out physically. Of course that can happen at Left back,but not every right winger is amazing,plus Mulgrew will ask his own questions of them. If Bell doesn't seriously up his game, I think our limited options could leave it as a toss up between Mulgrew and Downing. 

He has great passing technique and set pieces. That's it. He isn't a good dribbler and he has no pace. He has zero chance of thundering past wingers or full backs, or of catching anybody who glides past him. Which will be any winger who has even average pace. He also has very poor positional sense - and that was at centre half where he has a few years experience. He will be a disaster at left back, I'm sticking with that. Even Bell, even on present form, is better there.

• Like 3

Mulgrew might get away with the odd game there if the oppo aren't particularly strong on their right. More than likely he'll get found out pretty quickly if he gets a run in that position especially away from home.

Seen him in bits and bats in games in his time here as left of a back 3 and occasionally LB in games TM has changed formation a few times in game. Never looked anything other than uncomfortable and not right happy being there.

I guess it's all about how he'd acquit himself.

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He's looking at Mulgrew for left back he mentioned. So Bell, Downing and Mulgrew. I know ,kinda funny,right? Imagine someone said 5 years ago our 2 left backs would be Downing and Mulgrew. No doubt Downing can do a job there, I personally though Hart looked athletic and could do a job,but not to be. 

Bell needs to hit heights he hasn't hit yet if he is to be here beyond the summer,but I would say the reality now is that the position is his  

He's going to go 3 at the back again. He's like a moth to a hot light. Never learns from his failures.

He should have built a solid back four years ago but he has just been collecting square pegs and nice boys.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

He has great passing technique and set pieces. That's it. He isn't a good dribbler and he has no pace. He has zero chance of thundering past wingers or full backs, or of catching anybody who glides past him. Which will be any winger who has even average pace. He also has very poor positional sense - and that was at centre half where he has a few years experience. He will be a disaster at left back, I'm sticking with that. Even Bell, even on present form, is better there.

I wouldn't say his positional sense was very poor. He is a full international and starts regularly at centre half. Some of the more physical centre forwards he found hard to deal with. I would favour Bell at this pint also though. 

6 minutes ago, Pedro said:

He's going to go 3 at the back again. He's like a moth to a hot light. Never learns from his failures.

He should have built a solid back four years ago but he has just been collecting square pegs and nice boys.

I wouldn't be against 3 at the back. We need to find a way to play without Dack and I think we have the players for 3 

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I wouldn't be against 3 at the back. We need to find a way to play without Dack and I think we have the players for 3 

We effectively play with two at the back when Bennett and Bell are in the same back four - so one more is a bonus.

• Like 3

Just now, Bigdoggsteel said:

I wouldn't say his positional sense was very poor. He is a full international and starts regularly at centre half. Some of the more physical centre forwards he found hard to deal with. I would favour Bell at this pint also though. 

I would and did. The majority of goals we conceded which were his fault were due to him being in entirely the wrong place at the wrong time. Every goal we concede I watch several times over on the highlights and look for everybody involved's movement and decision making. His positional instincts are all wrong. I dont care that Scotland (hardly a top end footballing side these days) are daft enough to play him in defence, more fool them. He isn't good enough to be in ours. Let alone at LB. He really wont have a clue where to position himself there as it's not a position he has any real experience with so far as I'm aware. I don't even want him in what is now his chief position if it can be helped, let alone experimenting now he is pushing 34.

2 hours ago, Pedro said:

In my opinion Tony should have started working on the 3-5-2 last season(His favourite formation), look at Sheff Utd, they got promoted off that formation with what I would call an average squad. 

Our Under 21s have been using that formation for a few years, and that only would benefit your JRC(Natural Right-Wing Back), Buckley and Butterworth etc.

Then you look at the squad and figure okay Dack can play as a natural number 10 in the 3-5-2 with two more all rounder midfielders, one being Travis. Then Armstrong can play up top with a monster. Nyambe can play on the right of the three centre backs with Lenihan and Tosin.

Tony has only ever half heartedly moved to the 3-5-2 here or there. Its complex and should be drilled in over a period of time, and recruitment should be based around it. We don't have any decent wingers and this formation doesn't require it. 

Edited by Fraserkirky
  • Like 1

by the time mowbray has evaluated the player,put him through his "character" test and arranged a price the bloody window will be shut,read his latest lament in the telegraph,ffs tony it`s the same for everyone else,just come out and say we hav`nt got any cash to spend instead of trying to hoodwink the fans,getting seriously p****d off with him tbh

• Like 1

Just now, tomphil said:

He's highlighted Sheff Utd a few times but he just isn't capable or isn't allowed to sign the right players for it let alone implement it. He couldn't in lge 1.

That was last year when they were flying high in the Championship, this season the side he keeps highlighting our Brentford as they are flying high. The problem is that those two clubs have very different ways of operating. I think where Mowbray is concerned he doesn't really have a clue what he wants to implement and it certainly shows on the pitch.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Fraserkirky said:

In my opinion Tony should have started working on the 3-5-2 last season(His favourite formation), look at Sheff Utd, they got promoted off that formation with what I would call an average squad. 

Our Under 21s have been had been using that formation for a few years, and that only would benefit your JRC(Natural Right-Wing Back), Buckley and Butterworth etc.

Then you look at the squad and figure okay Dack can play as a natural number 10 in the 3-5-2 with two more all rounder midfielders, one being Travis. Then Armstrong can play up top with a monster. Nyambe can play on the right of the three centre backs with Lenihan and Tosin.

Tony has only ever half heartedly moved to the 3-5-2 here or there. Its complex and should be drilled in over a period of time, and recruitment should be based around it. We don't have any decent wingers and this formation doesn't require it. 

I agree.  Unfortunately, he doesn't persevere with anything other than Bennett at RB and Gallagher on the wing. Even in games we start really well and concede against the run of play, rather than carrying on as we were and believing in ourselves, everything changes. It's so infuriating.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

That was last year when they were flying high in the Championship, this season the side he keeps highlighting our Brentford as they are flying high. The problem is that those two clubs have very different ways of operating. I think where Mowbray is concerned he doesn't really have a clue what he wants to implement and it certainly shows on the pitch.

Exactly, it's just lip service depending on what he's being called out on.

To say the Brentford moneyball method is the way to go after selling them our young keeper cheap . Then whacking that towards a 5 million fee for Gallagher is a bit insulting to be honest On top of  Brereton and big contracts for over 30's Downing and Johnson as well !!!

Billy bullshit I'm afraid.

2 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Sam hart out of contract in the summer? We might have well just let him go, perennial loanee , waste of time. Either give him a chance or move him on. Signing somebody and then loaning him out his entire contract is madness. Throwing wages away 

He never looked remotely good enough, a very strange signing indeed.

• Like 2

It is laughable that Mowbray continually talks about inflated fees when he has wasted 12 million on two donkeys who have a grand total of two league goals all season between them. Why does no one at Radio Lancs or LET call him out on this? He really must think the punters are thick to accept all the rubbish that spouts out his mouth. He'll be mentioning dew on the grass next.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

He's looking at Mulgrew for left back he mentioned. So Bell, Downing and Mulgrew. I know ,kinda funny,right? Imagine someone said 5 years ago our 2 left backs would be Downing and Mulgrew. No doubt Downing can do a job there, I personally though Hart looked athletic and could do a job,but not to be. 

Bell needs to hit heights he hasn't hit yet if he is to be here beyond the summer,but I would say the reality now is that the position is his  

Imagine if we had Downing and Mulgrew but they were 5 years younger.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Ok this still seems to be going over your head but I'll give it one last try.

I know what the context of your conversation with the poster was. But you once again trotted out this notion that Maddison being out of contract in six months means we shouldn't pay 2.5 million for him. A concept which I have debunked. Therefore you shouldn't be saying it again as any kind of argument until you have at least attempted a counterpoint to my debunking. Unless you agree with me, in which case...you shouldn't be saying it again.

Does your head in doesn't it?!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Ok this still seems to be going over your head but I'll give it one last try.

I know what the context of your conversation with the poster was. But you once again trotted out this notion that Maddison being out of contract in six months means we shouldn't pay 2.5 million for him. A concept which I have debunked. Therefore you shouldn't be saying it again as any kind of argument until you have at least attempted a counterpoint to my debunking. Unless you agree with me, in which case...you shouldn't be saying it again.

There is no point at all in trying to discuss anything with Chaddy. He does not discuss, merely tells you why he is right

• Like 6

See Hart has left the building !! What a waste of money .. this time last year our manager did exactly the same thing then 4 months later handed him a new one year contract ! 

is there nobody above him to stop this crap ...This manager knows sod all and is doing what ever he wants ... I feel a Elliot Bennnet extension coming .... just to rub salt in the wound... 

is it too much to ask Radio Lancs and LT asking some serious questions to this clown ... 

• Like 9