BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

21 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

He's far from perfect Walton but ALL keepers make mistakes. Of course he needs replacing, we HAVE to unless he gets offered a permanent deal, I just don't think that with our shoestring budget it's a priority.

A flawless keeper is a 50m pound one.

Not asking for a flawless keeper. Just a decisively less shite one. We are going to have to agree to disagree because I think he has been bobbins on the whole, and we urgently need an upgrade. Now. Which I don't see costing more than 1-2 million if done smartly. Probably do-able for a lot less if we are really smart.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, harryhealless1928 said:

Have to agree about goalkeeping standards. When you see Kepa at Chelsea(worlds most expensive?) Im honestly not too worried about Walton. 

What I am worried about is the players POTENTIALLY LEAVING i.e. might be subject to a cheeky last-day bid from Pemiership relegation fighters! Got to hope there were very few scouts at yestyerdays game. Whats the chances of keeping Armstrong if a cheeky £8 million bid comes in from Bournemouth? Remember they have previous swiping Josh King & Conor Mahoney(even though the latter didnt work out)!

That's the one thing I worried about with yesterday's game. A result like that and you get noticed------Nyambe, Travis and possibly Armstrong attract bids and the guts has suddenly gone out of the team and we have to "rebuild".  :(

2 hours ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Let's put it this way, we've had a lot worse over the last few years!  Think he'd be solid. No more, no less.

That's all we need really right now we've not had one for years.

Robinson wasn't a great and had his flaws but strengths as well i'd call him a solid steady Prem keeper for a spell at Rovers. Since then, Steele physically the weakest keeper iv'e seen at rovers, Raya talented but raw and erratic and now Walton who seems somewhere between the two maybe ?

We are long overdue a good steady pair of hands just like we are long overdue one good season in this league.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

He does seem to be improving though - there is a good chance he could get into the teens for goals by the end of th season which is not bad for someone that has not always played striker. I think he has potential and he is getting better. He played very well yesterday - if he can keep up that level of performance we have a player. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Armstrong is only 22 years old. He was excellent yesterday, pace, running, movement, awareness for the 1st goal was good to see. A constant threat. Thats why I keep saying play up front where he didnt have to think about defensive duties but the constant problems he can cause the opposition. 

Last 9 games he has played in(7 starts, 2 subs)4 goals and 4 assists. He played more regular in front he will score another 7 or 8 goals plus assists IMO. defenders are scared of his pace and movement

I take on both of your points about his potential, he has plenty of attributes but as a player at this level I dont think at the moment he has done enough to warrant bigger clubs circling just yet.

I suspect that he will get a run as a striker and he is undoubtedly our primary goal threat but his numbers and his impact in his season and a half in the Championship here on the back of a couple of underwhelming loan spells elsewhere at this level wont have people beating down the door just yet.

I think there are both questions and answers, for each strength a weakness. A player with such electric pace will always carry a threat. That being said, his movement is often quite poor and the stats show he is never far from seeing the offside flag. Fast players often rely on their legs rather than their brains and go a yard too far when they dont need to. Also, give him space and a simple kick and run approach often is what makes him the most effective. When he dribbles because his pace terrifies defenders he sometimes gets past through luck as much as skill, I dont think his dribbling is the most refined but you see v Preston a perfect example, he actually overran it but the ball luckily fell back for him to slot in. He is technically decent and has scored a couple of belters but Mowbray is right that he needs to score more scrappy goals and tap ins, they are the bread and butter. I do have doubts about his ability to hold the ball up and be a nuisance, I appreciate that he is small and slight but he often doesnt even challenge, you look at Paul Dickov who was similarly small and he was a right handful to every defender because of his attitude and intelligence.

Chaddy you have used the saying "theres a player in there" about Gallagher, I disagree on that but its a quote that certainly applies to Armstrong. Its now to make sure that player comes out and if and when he does, that is when the interest will come. Hopefully the numbers will go up, he will become more prolific and then thats when it goes with the territory that the vultures shall circle. I wouldnt like to play against him.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yet again what does that have to do with my reply. Didnt mention other fans opinions in my reply. So why respond with such a response. 

I posted his stats for the last 18 months of his career plus YouTube clips for members(including myself) to see more of him and the type he is..

Also why did you also posted that I said he would be good signing which I didnt did I? 

Please see below your information that has come from asking Sunderland fans, something you have suggested you take no notice of to others prior. Also "sound a good choice and what we need in the keeper area" isnt really that ambigious IMO.

7 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

Sound a good choice and what we need in the keeper area. Looking at the YouTube Clips of him and the games I've seen, you description is spot on. 

After speaking to a few Sunderland fans on twitter this morning, Yes he was drop for 3 games, come on at half time in the 3rd game then played next game then drop for next 2 games before reclaiming the no 1 shirt. Played in 21 games this season. 5 clean sheets. last season, played 49 games including playoffs games and 15 clean sheets. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

That being said, his movement is often quite poor and the stats show he is never far from seeing the offside flag. 

Look at offside stats. Players like Grabban and Watkins are far more offside than him. Armstrong is offside twice every 3 games. Hardly bad is it

Edited by chaddyrovers
  • Like 2

• Backroom
Just now, Paul Mani said:

Very weird guy.

He was named his ‘source’ in Ewood, just so happens I know and respect that person and knew 10000% it was not only false but potentially harmful, I called the chap in question who obviously confirmed.

Confronted clown pants who backtracked and deleted the tweets then blocked me.

Absolute whopper 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I would be very, very surprised if clubs higher up aren't looking at Armstrong. If he continues with the end product, it will be difficult to hold into him. I was very critical of him earlier on in the season and last. 

If they come with £8milloon I’d bite their bloody hands off

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Please see below your information that has come from asking Sunderland fans, something you have suggested you take no notice of to others prior. Also "sound a good choice and what we need in the keeper area" isnt really that ambigious IMO.

Please at the reply I posted to you after. Didnt mention fans opinion in that. Also you arent replying to the post posted but talking about something which wasnt posted. 

47 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yet again what does that have to do with my reply. Didnt mention other fans opinions in my reply. So why respond with such a response. 

I posted his stats for the last 18 months of his career plus YouTube clips for members(including myself) to see more of him and the type he is..

Also why did you also posted that I said he would be good signing which I didnt did I? 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Haven't said he been a good signing tho did I Roversfan99.

just point his record last and this season which is important stats wise. I posted the YouTube video so members(including myself) could watch clips of the player and see what he could be like if he signs here. 

@roversfan99 my replies recently. Like I said I didnt mention other fans opinions so why are you? 

Also I didnt say McLaughlin would be good signing so why are you saying this? 

6 minutes ago, Tom said:

He was named his ‘source’ in Ewood, just so happens I know and respect that person and knew 10000% it was not only false but potentially harmful, I called the chap in question who obviously confirmed.

Absolute whopper 

Gotta be a piss take ‘announcing’ we’re getting a right sided attacker, 24hrs AFTER it was publicly announced!? ??? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tom said:

Absolute whopper 

I wonder if it was the same name he gave me? I also asked the person in question and he threatened legal action. He shit his pants ?

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

@roversfan99 my replies recently. Like I said I didnt mention other fans opinions so why are you? 

Also I didnt say McLaughlin would be good signing so why are you saying this? 

Dude. He literally showed a quote of you saying 'Sounds a good choice and what we need in the keeper area'. This might not be the exact same words as 'would be a good signing', but it's baffling that you're trying to argue this isn't basically the same thing.

You would get a lot more respect from your fellow posters if you could just accept when your argument has been shown up as inconsistent, or a big hole poked in it. Lots of other posters can do it. You don't have to stubbornly resist every counter point as if it will somehow make you a worse poster to accept being wrong sometimes. Accepting it would have the opposite effect and make people take you more seriously.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Dude. He literally showed a quote of you saying 'Sounds a good choice and what we need in the keeper area'. This might not be the exact same words as 'would be a good signing', but it's baffling that you're trying to argue this isn't basically the same thing.

When I said sounds a good choice I was talking the type of keeper TS described.