BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

3 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Personally think we should spend £3m on a left sided defensive player / centre back in truth. I'm certain we could afford one at that fee. That said this Curtis lad seems highly rated and I'd rather him be in a Rovers shirt if that's the case. Can't say I've seen much of him to warrant £3m to be honest and if we are going on stats you'd have to argue £2.5m for Maddison is a better deal........................

Does seem odd to me that we're considering spending £2-3m on Curtis who's got less goal contribs in League One than Maddison who we could get for the same price. Must be the whole "fitting in" Mowbray thing.

29 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Does seem odd to me that we're considering spending £2-3m on Curtis who's got less goal contribs in League One than Maddison who we could get for the same price. Must be the whole "fitting in" Mowbray thing.

I don't doubt there are occasions when players need to be sold for the sake of dressing room harmony but I'm not buying the whole "not fitting in" scenario. If the coaching staff is strong enough and the dressing room is together one bad apple won't set in a rot. I don't particularly buy into the fact that certain players shouldn't be signed because of attitude problems. In the past it has worked for us - Bellamy, Bentley - players that had bad attitudes that excelled in their time at Ewood.

If we look at Wilder for example he brought Ravel Morrison to the club. A free signing that maybe hasn't worked out but it's not disrupted the dressing room in any way. Now, 2.5m is a bit different from a freebie but is Marcus Maddison that bad of an egg not to warrant a punt with the kind of returns he boasts of? I think not having seen his brothers application. You'd also think with James Maddisons past with TM we'd be front runners in any chase for him.

Edit: Turns out I was talking shite and they aren't brothers. Who would have thought two people could have the same surname and not be related.

Edited by Dreams of 1995
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, JoeH said:

4 years younger and a full-international, I can see the logic in it. 

I notice you say "goal contribs" too and not just goals, of which Curtis has more. There isn't a huge amount of difference in the stats.

I know you love Maddison though 

7 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I don't doubt there are occasions when players need to be sold for the sake of dressing room harmony but I'm not buying the whole "not fitting in" scenario. If the coaching staff is strong enough and the dressing room is together one bad apple won't set in a rot. I don't particularly buy into the fact that certain players shouldn't be signed because of attitude problems. In the past it has worked for us - Bellamy, Bentley - players that had bad attitudes that excelled in their time at Ewood.

If we look at Wilder for example he brought Ravel Morrison to the club. A free signing that maybe hasn't worked out but it's not disrupted the dressing room in any way. Now, 2.5m is a bit different from a freebie but is Marcus Maddison that bad of an egg not to warrant a punt with the kind of returns he boasts of? I think not having seen his brothers application. You'd also think with James Maddisons past with TM we'd be front runners in any chase for him.

Wait, what , are they brothers? 

19 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

I fuckin hope so now lol. Always assumed they were ?

I never heard that and it seems they were born in different places lol 

I would take James here anyway. I'l reckon he could fill the Dack role fairly well ?

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

1 minute ago, bluebruce said:

I pray to all the gods that we are not trying to collect another CM. I'm sick of this obsession with it.

Wonder if it will be dependent on Richie finding a new club? I agree we're pretty well stocked there on paper but if Holtby is now seen as an attacker to cover Dack and Evans is out for a good while, we suddenly find ourselves 3 bodies lighter if Smallwood leaves.

Having said that, unless we've got an obvious talent/good deal on our hands, I'd be inclined to see this as a chance for Davenport to stake a claim rather than bring in a short term solution. 

5 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

With Evan's out long term, we could do with one, unless Davenport steps up. 

No. I'm tired of listing this.

Travis, Downing, Johnson, Evans (not right  now but still under contract for quite a while), Bennett, Buckley, Davenport, Smallwood, and arguably a few others can all play CM and are capable of less than disgraceful showings. Lyons doing well in u23s too and JRC can probably play there (think I was told it's his natural position). 

If we shift about three of them then sure, let's get another. Or if the budget is infinite, sure, let's get another VERY good one (Ollie Rathbone doesn't sound like he cuts that mustard). In the meantime, we have 9 other positions on the pitch which are all bigger priorities, and all the budget should go on them first.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

No. I'm tired of listing this.

Travis, Downing, Johnson, Evans (not right  now but still under contract for quite a while), Bennett, Buckley, Davenport, Smallwood, and arguably a few others can all play CM and are capable of less than disgraceful showings. Lyons doing well in u23s too and JRC can probably play there (think I was told it's his natural position). 

If we shift about three of them then sure, let's get another. Or if the budget is infinite, sure, let's get another VERY good one (Ollie Rathbone doesn't sound like he cuts that mustard). In the meantime, we have 9 other positions on the pitch which are all bigger priorities, and all the budget should go on them first.

No, listen, it wouldn't be my priority either. I was just trying to explain the rational for why we would be. 

Out of the list you mention though, I counter with this list of players I don't think should be CM, I suspect you may agree; Bennett, Buckley, Lyons and Smallwood. You really didn't need to include them to bulk out the list!  So in reality , ideally it would be 2 from; Travis, Johnson, Downing and Davenport. I think JRC will be used somewhere else but I will allow him go in the CM list ;) So that's 5, including JRC. We aren't as well stacked there as you might think. Travis and Downing would be my first choice, but not sure that will always work, particularly against teams who really press hard. 

If Davenport steps up, that would be great, but if he doesn't ,we could look a bit light there.

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

I pray to all the gods that we are not trying to collect another CM. I'm sick of this obsession with it.

As others have said we have 2 that I’d class as even remotely capable. 

Johnson looks a shadow of the player at the start of the season and Davenport gets injured looking at a football. That leaves only Travis and Downing (a winger by trade) so we need at least one; if not two in the next two windows.

1 hour ago, Tugayisgod said:

Think Rovers will hold off on a left back till Summer, when Greg Cunning ham's contact is up (I think). 

Makes sense to me, should be fit by then and not a gamble as we know what he can do. 

Cunningham has 18 months left on his contract. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44380823

Certainly wouldnt consider giving Bell a new deal, hes been poor throughout his time here, I didnt think he was particularly good v Preston to be honest anyway. Hes poor defensively, flimsy and doesnt usually stop crosses coming in, hes very slow of mind and dawdles on the ball and he seldom does anything but turn back on himself.

Ive not seen this player full of potential or attributes that just need some confidence. Hes fast but that it. Move on and get better.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Mellor Rover said:

As others have said we have 2 that I’d class as even remotely capable. 

Johnson looks a shadow of the player at the start of the season and Davenport gets injured looking at a football. That leaves only Travis and Downing (a winger by trade) so we need at least one; if not two in the next two windows.

Downing looks excellent in centre midfield. Who I would a new contract to..

4 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Been thinking about this. He’d have to play the way he’s played the last two, for the next 10 games. As well as convincing me that he wasn’t playing well just to get another contract.

Bell has all the tools to be a fantastic fullback. He has so far lacked the conviction and confidence to really kick on.

I think we shouldnt making a decision on Bell until end of the season. Analysis all options 1st and see what the budget and our options are

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Certainly wouldnt consider giving Bell a new deal, hes been poor throughout his time here, I didnt think he was particularly good v Preston to be honest anyway. Hes poor defensively, flimsy and doesnt usually stop crosses coming in, hes very slow of mind and dawdles on the ball and he seldom does anything but turn back on himself.

Ive not seen this player full of potential or attributes that just need some confidence. Hes fast but that it. Move on and get better.

I wouldn’t disagree with any of that. But I do think there is a player in there. We just haven’t seen it. Yet.

Bell is a good backup option. I don't think he should be first choice, and we need to bring in someone like Cunningham as the regular starter at LB, but I think Bell has proven that he can come in and put in a solid performance when required. It doesn't make sense to me to let him go and replace him with a more expensive option that may or may not be better.

If he's willing to stay and compete for a place then I'd give him another short term deal (1 or 2 years). 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Miker said:

Bell is a good backup option. I don't think he should be first choice, and we need to bring in someone like Cunningham as the regular starter at LB, but I think Bell has proven that he can come in and put in a solid performance when required. It doesn't make sense to me to let him go and replace him with a more expensive option that may or may not be better.

If he's willing to stay and compete for a place then I'd give him another short term deal (1 or 2 years). 

Agreed. It's much easier getting 1 LB in as 2. I would keep Bell as back up and sign some serious competition for him.