BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

14 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Agreed. It's much easier getting 1 LB in as 2. I would keep Bell as back up and sign some serious competition for him. 

I think he still has the opportunity to put the performances in to warrant that. He'll get games, so if he plays like he did vs Bristol City & Wednesday (I was still frustrated with him against PNE even if others were impressed, but he's certainly had worse games) then I might be inclined to give him another couple of years on modest cash.

I'll still need some persuading before I think it's a good idea though. He'll be 26 by the time the season's finished, so isn't likely to get heaps better, and more importantly doesn't seem to be doing a good job of ironing out bad habits. As keep a player who is borderline L1/lower championship standard, I'd leaning towards looking to use the money we would've spent on his wages on another understudy.

• Like 1

Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

I think he still has the opportunity to put the performances in to warrant that. He'll get games, so if he plays like he did vs Bristol City & Wednesday (I was still frustrated with him against PNE even if others were impressed, but he's certainly had worse games) then I might be inclined to give him another couple of years on modest cash.

I'll still need some persuading before I think it's a good idea though. He'll be 26 by the time the season's finished, so isn't likely to get heaps better, and more importantly doesn't seem to be doing a good job of ironing out bad habits. As keep a player who is borderline L1/lower championship standard, I'd leaning towards looking to use the money we would've spent on his wages on another understudy.

Where do we get the replacement though? It will all cost money it doesn't sound like we have. Signing 1 good left back needs to be the priority, not 2 half decent ones! 

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Where do we get the replacement though? It will all cost money it doesn't sound like we have. Signing 1 good left back needs to be the priority, not 2 half decent ones! 

It's a fair comment that I'm not actually mentioning any replacements! My view of things is that say we have the money for two left backs (money we might've spent on Cunningham & Bell's contract) then I'd use the money for Cunningham either on him or our 'good' left back target, and use the Bell money on either a useful looking prospect from L1, available from a top flight team or similar for our 'decent/prospect/back up' target.

Edited by Admiral Nelsen
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Cunningham has 18 months left on his contract. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44380823

I'd forget about Cunningham, he'd be a gamble we don't need to take. He can't be the only half decent left back out there. 

Somebody was asking about Rathbone. I've seen him play a few times. He's a poor mans Travis. If we were selling Travis he might fit the bill as a replacement. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Tbf I think Curtis is linked as the attacking right midfielder (winger), whilst they’re looking at Rathbone at Rochdale as a CM. Especially with Corry Evans injures.

I don't think Rathbone is a good replacement for Evans. He's more of a Travis style player. He's a good bit younger and more mobile than Smallwood but I'm not sure he's better.

8 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I don't think Rathbone is a good replacement for Evans. He's more of a Travis style player. He's a good bit younger and more mobile than Smallwood but I'm not sure he's better.

If we want to progress to the next level really think we need a ball playing CDM and not necessarily another Evan's type player.  

21 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Bit more of about attacking threat though isn’t he? 

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

I wouldn’t disagree with any of that. But I do think there is a player in there. We just haven’t seen it. Yet.

Im not sure a good Championship left back is going to ever emerge from one who has been a consistent liability since he arrived at the club and lacking both offensively and defensively, at the age of 25. Need much better.

• Like 2

Bell reminds me of Henley, quick off the mark but not a defensive natural he looks like a player from another position 'trying' to be a defender.

It just doesn't come naturally to him certainly not at this level. The amount of stick he's had on here i'm amazed a couple of half decent efforts and playing in a 5 nil win suddenly cloud judgement again. It's time to improve on this one this is precisely what we keep moaning we want, he hasn't proved good enough back up and never will.

Let him go in summer and lets have a look at something else otherwise he'll be on another good 2 year generous Tony deal and be in and out of the side again producing the same stuff. Nothing against the lad i wish him well but lge 1 is where he's at.

• Like 2

Bell's an odd one - he hasn't looked great (by any means) since he's been here, but he's looked in good form last couple of games and like he could do a job for us in some capacity for the next few seasons (a cheap option - not needing to bring someone new in with all that involves). On paper there shouldn't be a reason to offer him a new deal now, let him play the rest of the season, if he plays well then offer him a contract, if he continues to look poor don't. On paper.

The problem is that I can see another (possibly similar mid to high championship) club looking at him and saying - 'he's young, he's free, he made the league one team of the season a couple of years ago, he hasn't been played consistently at Rovers, our management might get that extra 10% out of him, there could be a gem there'. And I'd get it too - he's the sort of low risk signing that many people on this message board want us to be sniffing around at other clubs. 

The worst case scenario is for another club to come in with an offer and for us to gt sucked into a panic fuelled bidding war on the contract of a player who's a 'maybe' at best.

I can see it happening.

1 minute ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Surely Davenport is the answer to sit alongside Travis? Think he looked really good against Wednesday.

I agree, i think Davenport is more than capable of filling in, been very unfortunate with injuries. Watched a few of the U23's games this season that he has played in and he bosses the middle of the park and despite the size of him, seems to love the other side of the game. Can also get up and down the pitch! Also remembering he has come from captaining Man City's U23's!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I've never seen him play, but I can guarantee he is better than Smallwood.

14 minutes ago, jim mk2 said:

Downing got a free ride on Saturday after their player was sent off. Downing will disappear when an opposition manager tells his midfield enforcer to get in Downing;s face. He's not a solution

Downing had all the time in the world last week against Preston, against combative midfielder Ben Pearson, good players always find time and space.

I think he's been very good for us and you can definitely see why he's played at the top level and for England.

• Like 9

Just now, rog of the rovers said:

Downing had all the time in the world last week against Preston, against combative midfielder Ben Pearson, good players always find time and space.

I think he's been very good for us and you can definitely see why he's played at the top level and for England.

...... as a winger, yes.