BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

Just now, Dreams of 1995 said:

I've heard good things about Mols too and I suspect he won't be far off a chance given the amount of chances being handed out at the moment. 

Mols is the best of the lot. I've been watching him since he was 12.  He's a different class to Buckley, in my opinion. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, tomphil said:

This Buckley talk is very similar to the Jason Lowe talk of years ago.  A hell of a long way to go yet and as we've seen with Brereton and countless others nobody is worth this stupid money talk until they prove something.

Of course mate. All comes down to what people are willing to pay for potential. No doubt lots fail. young players go for 7 and 8 figure sums at the top level and never make it....for every Damian Duffs there are 10 Jason Lowes...but if you get it right...there are huge rewards.

2 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

Buckley was chased by Liverpool weren't he? I don't doubt the lads ability, despite him being shown up physically he's made some touches / passes in his time that have shown he has a football brain.

I don't think we are going up this year, sadly, and I'd love to end the season with the likes of Buckley, JRC, Nyambe, Lenihan in the team whilst Butterworth is back fit and pushing for that place too. We need to start using these academy kids given our financial situation.

I've heard good things about Mols too and I suspect he won't be far off a chance given the amount of chances being handed out at the moment. 

Not seen Mols. How old is he? 

1 minute ago, Paul Mani said:

Of course mate. All comes down to what people are willing to pay for potential. No doubt lots fail. young players go for 7 and 8 figure sums at the top level and never make it....for every Damian Duffs there are 10 Jason Lowes...but if you get it right...there are huge rewards.

But i guess it's that balance for a club like us in the grand scheme of things. Somebody punts 1 or 2 million to pinch him now then no not worth it. Some club prepared now to spend 5 - 10 mill on potential then you've got to seriously consider it.  We've had too many not made the grade they come round every few years.

The Duffs and Joneses etc come around every 10 but it seems quite obvious there is something already there at a young age. Not just a case of hey if he fills out / gets taller / loses his puppy fat he might be a baller.

5 minutes ago, tomphil said:

This Buckley talk is very similar to the Jason Lowe talk of years ago.  A hell of a long way to go yet and as we've seen with Brereton and countless others nobody is worth this stupid money talk until they prove something.

Yes, certainly is easy it is to forget just how highly rated he was at one stage. Strangely though the Brereton case shows how big money might well be a possibility even at his stage, we spent money on potential, so there's no reason why teams with much bigger budgets in the top-flight might well do the same. 

On Buckley specifically, I'm still very optimistic. Even the Huddersfield game, for which he got a lot of stick, I remember him getting involved and trying some things which other players wouldn't have been able to see. Execution was off a couple of times, but definite progress from his 5-10 minute spells where he's looked like a little lad. 

Physicality is obviously a problem in the short term, but if his brain and talent are his strengths, he'll learn how to get past that problem in no time.

1 minute ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

So why isn't he in the team or even close? I don't think I have ever seen Mols even on the bench.

I think even Parson once mentioned that he was astonished that Mols has not been given a chance yet. I guess midfield is not so easy to push into right now considering we have so many of them. Travis, Buckley and now JRC have come through the academy already in that position and then you already have our senior first teamers in the way as well.  

Just now, Admiral Nelsen said:

Yes, certainly is easy it is to forget just how highly rated he was at one stage. Strangely though the Brereton case shows how big money might well be a possibility even at his stage, we spent money on potential, so there's no reason why teams with much bigger budgets in the top-flight might well do the same. 

On Buckley specifically, I'm still very optimistic. Even the Huddersfield game, for which he got a lot of stick, I remember him getting involved and trying some things which other players wouldn't have been able to see. Execution was off a couple of times, but definite progress from his 5-10 minute spells where he's looked like a little lad. 

Physicality is obviously a problem in the short term, but if his brain and talent are his strengths, he'll learn how to get past that problem in no time.

Hopefully, i think they've missed a trick at Rovers quite a bit in the past not loaning these types out for some games though.  Some get shunted out quick whilst others get kept around for the odd taste of action.  To me if you can arrange them somewhere lower down they'll get regular games right now that surely helps, especially the character building side of it.

Then again i suppose it's easier to pick up bad habits elsewhere.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Mols is the best of the lot. I've been watching him since he was 12.  He's a different class to Buckley, in my opinion. 

Agree here whenever iv'e seen them he's always looked like a steady player to me the type who you'd expect to be around it at first team.  Nothing flash he's just always looked ok which at that level should mean something although nothing flash then he doesn't catch the eye i suppose.

Too much emphasis on who might be worth big money over those who might turn out solid but unspectacular perhaps ?

Just now, tomphil said:

Hopefully, i think they've missed a trick at Rovers quite a bit in the past not loaning these types out for some games though.  Some get shunted out quick whilst others get kept around for the odd taste of action.  To me if you can arrange them somewhere lower down they'll get regular games right now that surely helps, especially the character building side of it.

Then again i suppose it's easier to pick up bad habits elsewhere.

My instinct is that you're right, playing is the most important thing at his age.

Flip side of that I suppose is that I think it's a mistake to get him playing at a lower level just so he can cope with the game physically. I think the way he gets past that weakness is by using and developing his strength on the ball. We might struggle to find a L1 or L2 team willing to take him and use him properly, but then again playing anywhere is better than not playing at all.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tomphil said:

Agree here whenever iv'e seen them he's always looked like a steady player to me the type who you'd expect to be around it at first team.  Nothing flash he's just always looked ok which at that level should mean something although nothing flash then he doesn't catch the eye i suppose.

Too much emphasis on who might be worth big money over those who might turn out solid but unspectacular perhaps ?

Sorry, but I don’t understand this point you’re making mate. The best players in eyes of the coaches and professionals are naturally worth more because the demand is for the best players, not the steady ones.

Its how good they are which actually drives the price.

Interesting, Mols has never been mentioned to me. Not saying he isn’t good. There’s lots of good lads.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dreams of 1995 said:

So why isn't he in the team or even close? I don't think I have ever seen Mols even on the bench.

Just opinions mate. The coaches see different things in players than fans. They work with them every day. Weird that Mols hasn’t been mentioned though...especially with the focus on young lads at Rovers. Maybe I missed that one..