BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

It’s something which went on for years. Squashed by the likes of Barca who realised that top players don’t need to be beasts physically.

Cant believe the Bryan Robson one though! ????

Burnley's North East scout sent him down. The same scout that sent all the Geordies to Burnley back in the day. Apparently Robson wasn't very big as a lad so they gave him a trial and said no thanks. Ron Atkinson at Villa had him on Guinness and steaks and the rest was history. Loads of clubs have let stars slip through their fingers because they thought they wouldn't develop physically.

Of course there is the other side of the coin. The bigger lads that dominate youth football, until the smaller kids catch up with them physically.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Burnley's North East scout sent him down. The same scout that sent all the Geordies to Burnley back in the day. Apparently Robson wasn't very big as a lad so they gave him a trial and said no thanks. Ron Atkinson at Villa had him on Guinness and steaks and the rest was history. Loads of clubs have let stars slip through their fingers because they thought they wouldn't develop physically.

Of course there is the other side of the coin. The bigger lads that dominate youth football, until the smaller kids catch up with them physically.

Just to be pedantic Tyrone it was West Brom. I played against him in a trial match around that time. You’re right about it being Big Ron though.

• Like 1

Sorry, but I don’t understand this point you’re making mate. The best players in eyes of the coaches and professionals are naturally worth more because the demand is for the best players, not the steady ones.

Its how good they are which actually drives the price.

Interesting, Mols has never been mentioned to me. Not saying he isn’t good. There’s lots of good lads.

Style over substance being pushed first is what i'm saying really, solid workmanlike midfielders are in my opinion more likely to make the grade in the championship over lightweight flair.

You've got to give them all a fair crack of the whip obviously.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 3

11 minutes ago, oldjamfan1 said:

Just to be pedantic Tyrone it was West Brom. I played against him in a trial match around that time. You’re right about it being Big Ron though.

Sorry mate. I knew it was West Brom but I wrote Villa, My heads going I think. My wife left the toothpaste out on the wash basin the other day and I decided it was shaving cream !

• Like 6

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Style over substance being pushed first is what i'm saying really, solid workmanlike midfielders are in my opinion more likely to make the grade in the championship over lightweight flair.

You've got to give them all a fair crack of the whip obviously.

Yes, Mols was always the best player, light years ahead of grayson, who has gotten ahead due to his dad,  Alex Curran was also a better player than grayson , I think he suffered a bad injury. 

I just wonder what the hell has gone on considering grayson gets a sniff here and there whereas a much classier, solid , natural footballer never gets a look. (In my opinion)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

You might as well put a young lad from the youth team in if you are getting rathbone...too lightweight for me

I would offer Smallwood and Samuel in return. Rathbone has more about him than Buckley. I would cash in on Buckley, £10million to AC Milan, apparently they have scouts looking at young Championship talent. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

I would offer Smallwood and Samuel in return. Rathbone has more about him than Buckley. I would cash in on Buckley, £10million to AC Milan, apparently they have scouts looking at young Championship talent. 

Would you pay their wages too? Can't see Rochdale affording that , barring pay cuts 

• Like 4

If Smallwood doesn’t move on this month (doesn’t seem likely at the minute), he’ll have pretty much thrown away 18 months of his career. 

Odd for someone, that though limited, always gave his all. Must be a nice contract.

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

Just now, Mattyblue said:

If Smallwood doesn’t move on this month (doesn’t seem likely at the minute), he’ll have pretty much thrown away 18 months of his career. 

Odd for someone, that though limited, always gave his all. Must be a nice contract.

This.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

Gelson Dala, young striker being linked.

That Rockwell chap has linked us with about four players this week alone.... Could be agents trying to rack up interest.

1 minute ago, Mattyblue said:

Yes but I bet he's earning more than he ever imagined and deserves 

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

You might as well put a young lad from the youth team in if you are getting rathbone...too lightweight for me

That wouldn't be my reservation regarding Rathbone, he puts himself about enough.  "It's the size of the fight in the dog " and all that, I'd be more concerned to see if he was up to it football wise. Smallwood looked the part in that division but not in this division.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Ya, it's an odd one. He trains with the first team I think? 

It must be the contract 

22 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

He is on the contract of his life. And he knows it.

For perspective, Harry Chapman is on £10kpw, says it all about some of the daft wages Uncle Tony dishes out.

Yes, he is on £10k.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

Richie Smallwood is a model professional. 

He did give his all (and still does, i'm sure) and the contract that he has is hardly his fault. 

Rovers supporters love to hate on their own players and Smallwood seems to be, unfairly, disliked now. 

There's a nasty, negative attitude supporting the team but, i guess, that's modern times for you. 

The King is, still, very much alive! 

• Like 7