BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

6 minutes ago, barry_ said:

Richie Smallwood is a model professional. 

He did give his all (and still does, i'm sure) and the contract that he has is hardly his fault. 

Rovers supporters love to hate on their own players and Smallwood seems to be, unfairly, disliked now. 

There's a nasty, negative attitude supporting the team but, i guess, that's modern times for you. 

The King is, still, very much alive! 

You what? Who hates him? Who’s being negative? Just facts, no?

It’s a short career and he’s spent his late 20s, the peak years for a footballer just training and playing an odd game for the U23s. Surely a loan out could’ve  been something to pursue, to keep himself sharp. It’s his prerogative that he’s chosen not to, but you are a long time retired. 

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Dont think there is any hatred, just not rated at this level unfortunately.

25 minutes ago, Mattyblue said:

You what? Who hates him? Who’s being negative? Just facts, no?

It’s a short career and he’s spent his late 20s, the peak years for a footballer just training and playing an odd game for the U23s. Surely a loan out could’ve  been something to pursue, to keep himself sharp. It’s his prerogative that he’s chosen not to, but you are a long time retired. 

I think the below was a bit snide to be fair

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Yes but I bet he's earning more than he ever imagined and deserves 

6 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I was just reading the pen picture of Mike England. Apparently the club sent him back to Wales as a youth because they thought he would never develop physically ! He ended up a 6' 3" and 13 stone colossus ! The Dingles sent Bryan Robson  home because they thought he wouldn't be big enough.

Also going back to the 1960s,  Rovers rejected Tony Green and Tommy Hutchison, 2 superb players who went on to play for Scotland.

Bolton turned down Alan Ball because he was too small!

51 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

He is on the contract of his life. And he knows it.

For perspective, Harry Chapman is on £10kpw, says it all about some of the daft wages Uncle Tony dishes out.

Yes, he is on £10k.

Harry Chapman is not on £10k a week.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

He is on the contract of his life. And he knows it.

For perspective, Harry Chapman is on £10kpw, says it all about some of the daft wages Uncle Tony dishes out.

Yes, he is on £10k.

All about the commissions for Sheron, Honeyman and Horner @HSH Sports 

We were upgrading the squad when he gave those daft like candy contracts out.

Same manager same agents. Much like how we ended up with the likes of Anthony Stokes and Owen Coyle same agents.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Scotland1 said:

All about the commissions for Sheron, Honeyman and Horner @HSH Sports 

We were upgrading the squad when he gave those daft like candy contracts out.

Same manager same agents. Much like how we ended up with the likes of Anthony Stokes and Owen Coyle same agents.

I am sure we have ended up with some good players due to this arrangement too. Be interesting to look back at Hughes and Allardcyes time, but I suppose when you are doing well, nobody cares. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Also going back to the 1960s,  Rovers rejected Tony Green and Tommy Hutchison, 2 superb players who went on to play for Scotland.

Bolton turned down Alan Ball because he was too small!

Hutch had a trick were he appeared to over run the ball then brought it through with his trailing leg. I'd have to see it in slow motion to see exactly how he did it. Every full back he played against would stop when he over ran the ball only to be left trailing when he accelerated past them with the ball ! I've never seen any other player do this trick. Even Sir Keith found him a handful. 

Green was a class act who's career was ended by a serious injury after his big money move to Newcastle.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Hutch had a trick were he appeared to over run the ball then brought it through with his trailing leg. I'd have to see it in slow motion to see exactly how he did it. Every full back he played against would stop when he over ran the ball only to be left trailing when he accelerated past them with the ball ! I've never seen any other player do this trick. Even Sir Keith found him a handful. 

Green was a class act who's career was ended by a serious injury after his big money move to Newcastle.

Enjoyed watching Tommy Hutch. 

How could Rovers miss those 2? 

4 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Yes, Mols was always the best player, light years ahead of grayson, who has gotten ahead due to his dad,  Alex Curran was also a better player than grayson , I think he suffered a bad injury. 

I just wonder what the hell has gone on considering grayson gets a sniff here and there whereas a much classier, solid , natural footballer never gets a look. (In my opinion)

Can't be only because his dad, old Grayson is long gone. The Grayson I've seen in the U23 is a decent footballer. Has an exceptional left foot similar to Mulgrew. While I don't think he is Championship material, I'm pretty confident he'll have a decent career as a professional footballer as his loan spell at Grimsby suggest.

That said I also think Mols is a very decent all-action midfielder who probably deserves a chance. Has potential and is probably ready to play senior football now. Not sure why nobody's picked him up loan.

Buckley was the best player in the U23 by far and I think has the most potential for the future. I didn't think he would struggle as much physically as he have in senior football, but very confident he will become great. He is the rare breed of a playmaker who can pick a pass and go past people and what clubs will pay great money for. 

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Remember watching 'Hutch' destroy Rovers in a Div 1 night match at Blackpool.  It's over 50 years ago but I'm sure he was up against Newton that night.  Was on the 'spion kop' and it all got rather nasty, as rival fans clashed, with ammonia being thrown.

Little Tony Green was a magician and if my memory is correct, Blackpool signed him whilst Rovers dithered.

Three top class acts there. 

Edited by Mercer

3 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Remember watching 'Hutch' destroy Rovers in a Div 1 night match at Blackpool.  It's over 50 years ago but I'm sure he was up against Newton.  Was on the 'spion kop' and it all got rather nasty with ammonia being thrown.

Little Tony Green was a magician and if my memory is correct, Blackpool signed him whilst Rovers dithered.

Three top class acts there. 

Absolutely. The Bloomfield Road match was my first ever away game. Was that really the much-referenced Ammonia game?

Yes, Tommy Hutch had Keith Newton on toast that night, but it did finish goalless-if we are talking the same game i.e. if Tommy Hutch didn't do it to the England full -back on more than one occasion.

9 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Hard to understand. Green especially was magic. We also sent Ron Davies home as a young player. John Mahoney who played for Stoke and Wales was another.

Didn't know about Davies and Mahoney. 

And how did we miss Paul Mariner at Chorley?

and Vardy at Fleetwood? 

Just goes to show it's not necessary to go hunting in Poland and when there are hidden gems on your doorstep. 

Edited by jim mk2
  • Like 1