BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

37 minutes ago, Mercer said:

I've seen Mols several times and he hasn't impressed me.  The lad's going on 21 now and, IMO, wont make it.

I called it right on Brereton very soon after he joined us.

I'll trust my own eyes and judgement after, IMO, seeing some of the b0ll0ocks dropped by the so called professionals with Brereton and Gallagher topping the list! 

You were critical of the Downing signing,weren't you? 

Call me sceptical but it all has a feel of how it went last time when Shaw kept saying they were all aware of it but monitoring it closely.

Then we were right in it, owners (allegedly) had to turn the taps off and the club had to eat itself by cashing in a line of assets. To bring wages down, reduce losses and pay down external debt.  We were told by some that there was no choice and the owners wanted to invest heavily but couldn't.

Everything was blamed on the admittedly ridiculous FFP but they knew it was there just like now and they know the rules.

In the middle of all that the usual people moving players out and worse ones in whilst getting their %%%

No doubt similar vultures are circling again now, i wonder what advice they give ?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

That supposed imminent signing seems to be a load of hot air at the moment. Getting de ja vu from last January.

All Mowbray said on Saturday a loan agreement between Rovers and another club had been agreed. Now with us in Portugal until Weekend. I dont see us making any signings until after the QPR game in the window. Alot of clubs are in the same boat sadly. This January transfer window is a mess and will be chaos in the last 3 or 4 days of the window as always. 

27 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

That supposed imminent signing seems to be a load of hot air at the moment. Getting de ja vu from last January.

I thought Mowbray said something along the lines of the deal being ready to go if Rovers wish to proceed. I am sure there are a few coals in the fire. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

Aye, 10m does seem an odd suggestion,  plus now it looks like Mahoney is finding his feet top half of the championship....I've said it loads of times, JB needs to go out to Barrow or Marine on loan, or Clitheroe ?

Firmly believe Barrow should be our new feeder club. Enough players have gone their (on loan or after leaving Rovers) now and succeeded I think it's clearly a great breeding ground. They've been winning games by 6 or 7 goals as of late too. Tom White, Matty Platt and Lewis Hardcastle all up there at the min. 

Another FFP mention I see. Every time the club make an internal decision not to spend, they roll out the red carpet for FFP chatter. It's just a very handy excuse to strike enough fear so people can sympathise with the lack of signings. From my reading, Venky's for the past four windows have been eager to spend more than Tony Mowbray is allowing them to. I think the Brereton deal was an example of Venkys getting their way, spending big on a player that Mowbray wasn't too fussed on, and I think Mowbray's consistent comments about players fitting in and knowing the way we play, and only spending on the "right" players, show that he clearly has a budget to work with, but won't spend it.

I get TM's point to an extent, you don't want to sign too many players that aren't going to be here long term, but you can't build a squad of 22 year olds that will "come good eventually" and expect to get promoted at any time soon - it'll be a good two seasons before Nyambe, Travis, Armstrong, Gallagher, Rothwell, Chapman, Rankin-Costello, Buckley, Bell and others are operating at their personal peaks.

There's only Lenihan, Holtby, Dack (now injured) and Evans (now injured) for me in this team in the peak of their careers. Downing, Johnson, Graham and Smallwood types are all on the slope down and past their "best", the young lads as mentioned above not near "best" yet.

Then you compare that to Leeds. They've a team full of players in their prime years, not old, not TOO young, just right. Phillips, Klich, Hernandez, Casilla, Bamford all at a ripe age etc... 

We HAVE to change the ideology. You can't get promotion by only really signing players "for the future". I get the sentiment, but that doesn't help the club short term. It has to be a mixture of both. Holtby the only player we've signed who is genuinely of his own ripe age this year. Everyone else either not there yet or past it. 

13 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Another FFP mention I see. Every time the club make an internal decision not to spend, they roll out the red carpet for FFP chatter. It's just a very handy excuse to strike enough fear so people can sympathise with the lack of signings. From my reading, Venky's for the past four windows have been eager to spend more than Tony Mowbray is allowing them to. I think the Brereton deal was an example of Venkys getting their way, spending big on a player that Mowbray wasn't too fussed on, and I think Mowbray's consistent comments about players fitting in and knowing the way we play, and only spending on the "right" players, show that he clearly has a budget to work with, but won't spend it.

I get TM's point to an extent, you don't want to sign too many players that aren't going to be here long term, but you can't build a squad of 22 year olds that will "come good eventually" and expect to get promoted at any time soon - it'll be a good two seasons before Nyambe, Travis, Armstrong, Gallagher, Rothwell, Chapman, Rankin-Costello, Buckley, Bell and others are operating at their personal peaks. 

More money spent means more pressure, more scrutiny and raised expectations.

Edited by Amo
  • Like 1

Just now, Amo said:

More money spent means more pressure, more scrutiny and raised expectations.

Great summation. Explains it to pretty clearly to be honest. It's exactly how it comes across. 

11 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Harry Chapman is on £10k a week.

Really wouldn't surprise me if they got him on that much by applying the legendary 'flex' in order to get it signed off.

Edited by tomphil