BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

• Backroom
15 minutes ago, Amo said:

He would say that, wouldn't he?

I think he had the money to spend, was running out of time to spend it and believed whoever told him that Brereton was a star in the making. Probably figured that after a season or two of decent performances we could sell Brereton for at least double what we paid, making it look like a masterstroke. Clearly he realised pretty quickly that he screwed up but can do little now other than repeat that Brereton has 'attributes' and is still young enough to improve. Regardless of what actually happened though it's a huge amount of money we will likely never come close to recouping, and if Mowbray is putting his hand up and saying 'my fault' then we have little choice but to put the blame at his door.

Edited by DE.
  • Like 3

If we are, according to Waggott, "around the (FFP) threshold....very limited as to what could be done" it does suggest that there's a gap and maybe subject to possible changes a decent signing could happen. But the contradiction comes when Waggott adds "unable" to invest due to FFP rules. 

9 hours ago, alderson777 said:

Agreed, not a chance Chapman is on 10k a week, Rovers highest paid player is on less than 20k, soon to change but 10k on a fringe player who was absolutely desperate to come here. Not a chance.

Dack, Graham, Mulgrew on less than 20k? I very much doubt that too - unless they get bonuses for breathing and blinking ?

I still think people are underestimating. Do we know the total wages? They were cut down to about £16m a couple of years ago. Divide that by 30 (safely say 30 are on decent contracts) and that comes out approximately 11k each. Some will be on more, some less.  

3 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

All Mowbray said on Saturday a loan agreement between Rovers and another club had been agreed. Now with us in Portugal until Weekend. I dont see us making any signings until after the QPR game in the window. Alot of clubs are in the same boat sadly. This January transfer window is a mess and will be chaos in the last 3 or 4 days of the window as always. 

You dont have to come in and staunchly defend the club on any point everyone makes. Theres no reason to wait until after the QPR game. If theres a deal that we want all agreed there is no reason to drag it out. Id be surprised if we signed anyone, maybe a solitary loan, no money sadly, already been wasted.

3 hours ago, JoeH said:

Firmly believe Barrow should be our new feeder club. Enough players have gone their (on loan or after leaving Rovers) now and succeeded I think it's clearly a great breeding ground. They've been winning games by 6 or 7 goals as of late too. Tom White, Matty Platt and Lewis Hardcastle all up there at the min. 

Is it really going to be a platform to come back to Championship football playing non league football and battering teams 7 nil?

8 minutes ago, DE. said:

I think he had the money to spend, was running out of time to spend it and believed whoever told him that Brereton was a star in the making. Probably figured that after a season or two of decent performances we could sell Brereton for at least double what we paid, making it look like a masterstroke. Clearly he realised pretty quickly that he screwed up but can do little now other than repeat that Brereton has 'attributes' and is still young enough to improve. Regardless of what actually happened though it's a huge amount of money we will likely never come close to recouping, and if Mowbray is putting his hand up and saying 'my fault' then we have little choice but to put the blame at his door.

As Jal would say, whose his agent?

7 minutes ago, Cherry Blue said:

If we are, according to Waggott, "around the (FFP) threshold....very limited as to what could be done" it does suggest that there's a gap and maybe subject to possible changes a decent signing could happen. But the contradiction comes when Waggott adds "unable" to invest due to FFP rules. 

It would of course depend on the structure of the payments too. £2m paid over the lifespan of a 4yr contract would be more palatable...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

You dont have to come in and staunchly defend the club on any point everyone makes. Theres no reason to wait until after the QPR game. If theres a deal that we want all agreed there is no reason to drag it out. Id be surprised if we signed anyone, maybe a solitary loan, no money sadly, already been wasted.

Playing an optimistic devil's advocate, we could just be waiting on a better deal 

3 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

It would of course depend on the structure of the payments too. £2m paid over the lifespan of a 4yr contract would be more palatable...

Exactly. If we get that polish lad for 3 million, we could pay that 500,000 a year for 6 years. I read a book about eastern European football,behind the wall, Polish clubs are absolutely broke. I'm talking League of Ireland broke. 

The fact this guy has been called at his age,whilst playing there,is a very,very good sign. Poland have under performed at tournaments, but they qualify like England, with ease. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

• Backroom
6 minutes ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

As Jal would say, whose his agent?

If it's the same as Mowbray's agent then it was probably him who recommended the signing rather than Venky's tbh. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Is it really going to be a platform to come back to Championship football playing non league football and battering teams 7 nil?

The 7-0 battering was at home to Ebbsfleet United who have same number of points as Chorley at the bottom and had a player sent off after 20 minutes not unlike Rovers on Saturday there have been no other 7-0 batterings

Sick of hearing Mowbray and Waggott on the transfer window - IMO, it's all p1ss and wind.

Think at best, there will be a couple of underwhelming loans towards the end of the window, at worse the same loans with a last minute departure of someone like Lenihan or Travis.

As for wages, those who think Chapman is here on relative 'peanuts' need to think again.  I think eyes would be opened if the wages of Dack, Mulgrew, Gallagher, Brereton and Chapman etc were published.  IMO, some of the wage levels mentioned on here are seriously understated.  Have mentioned before, Rovers also pay a whacking 13/14% in employers' NI so every £1million in wages paid to our 'stars' also costs almost another £140k!!!  

• Like 3