BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

11 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Like he would bother coming here....will end up a premier league player.

Disagree. Dire footballer. Just as much chance as Sam Gallagher ie. Not much.

4 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

If you look at our spend on Salaries and fees we are roughly mid table in spending terms. So, tbf they haven’t spent enough for a play off push, Yet.

I've not got the numbers to hand, however, I suspect we are beyond mid table for our transfer spend since promotion.

However, I have to disagree with your argument.

It isn't about having "spent enough" or otherwise.

I think it's about the recruitment policy and how you get the best out of your players through organisation and tactics etc.  For glowing examples look at Brentford (who Mowbray keeps referring to) and Sheffield United (what Wilder did there and the resources he had before this season).

Mowbray has been here for three years now.  More than long enough to structure a recruitment department and policy  and more than long enough to fashion a playing identity.  Sadly, I think he's failed miserably where Brentford and Sheffield United have admirably succeeded and it's now time he was replaced.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Mercer said:

I've not got the numbers to hand, however, I suspect we are beyond mid table for our transfer spend since promotion.

However, I have to disagree with your argument.

It isn't about having "spent enough" or otherwise.

I think it's about the recruitment policy and how you get the best out of your players through organisation and tactics etc.  For glowing examples look at Brentford (who Mowbray keeps referring to) and Sheffield United (what Wilder did there and the resources he had before this season).

Mowbray has been here for three years now.  More than long enough to structure a recruitment department and policy  and more than long enough to fashion a playing identity.  Sadly, I think he's failed miserably where Brentford and Sheffield United have admirably succeeded and it's now time he was replaced.

The recruitment policy is a completely different matter and I would tend to agree with some of your assertions.

My post was in relation to spend vs position argument where it was intimated that the owners were spending enough to expect promotion. The simple answer is they’re not. We have a mid table budget / spend on fees and salaries. There’s 11 clubs in the league who have parachute payments still being paid and will definitely have a bigger budget / liability than us.

3 hours ago, Mercer said:

this. 

Edited by barry_
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, barry_ said:

this. 

There is a large section that really afford him more time and excuses than any other Rovers manager I can remember.  Often, they make out we are a tinpot League One outfit who are lucky to be in the Championship having spent a pittance and we are 'consolidating our position' .

...whereas in the real world, we have massive outgoings, spent millions on new players, have a shaky defence and similar-sized teams like Sheffield Utd, Wolves, Southampton and Leicester thought "to hell with consolidation", let's be bold and employ someone better and get promoted. Now they are lightyears ahead of us.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Pedro said:

There is a large section that really afford him more time and excuses than any other Rovers manager I can remember.  Often, they make out we are a tinpot League One outfit who are lucky to be in the Championship having spent a pittance and we are 'consolidating our position' .

...whereas in the real world, we have massive outgoings, spent millions on new players, have a shaky defence and similar-sized teams like Sheffield Utd, Wolves, Southampton and Leicester thought "to hell with consolidation", let's be bold and employ someone better and get promoted. Now they are lightyears ahead of us.  

In the real world we beat Sheffield Wednesday 5-0. And we got out of League One where other big clubs have remained. Tony is doing pretty well in my view, and if we can keep the back 4 fit I think we can make the playoffs.

18 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Perhaps you could copy us in on a post arguing that "we are a tinpot League One outfit who are lucky to be in the Championship" because I can't ever remember reading one.

If you look at the population sizes of the cities with the other clubs you refer to you will see that Blackburn Rovers cannot be described as similar sized.

36 minutes ago, Vilesinner said:

In the real world we beat Sheffield Wednesday 5-0. And we got out of League One where other big clubs have remained. Tony is doing pretty well in my view, and if we can keep the back 4 fit I think we can make the playoffs.

Whereas in the real world, we'd not won in six and are 6 points off the pace.  We'd also gone on a longer winless run a matter of weeks before. We won't ever be dusting off the open-top charabanc under him. Sadly, no, nay and never going to happen because he faffs around with the team when all we needed was consistent selections and players in proper positions...he can't help himself and doesn't use the potential at his fingertips.  He did it last season too and really should have cottoned on by now.  

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Perhaps you could copy us in on a post arguing that "we are a tinpot League One outfit who are lucky to be in the Championship" because I can't ever remember reading one.

If you look at the population sizes of the cities with the other clubs you refer to you will see that Blackburn Rovers cannot be described as similar sized.

A predictable and a ridiculous response as usual Mrs Mowbray.  What on Earth does the size of the town/city have to do with anything? The budget and facilities at Rovers surpasses that of Watford, Sheffield United, Bournemouth, Brighton, Huddersfield, Burnley etc. (When they were in this league) All teams who have had the bollocks and inclination to make forward-thinking decisions and go for promotion.  Even Leicester and Southampton were our peers not long since. Each and every one of those improved their management and have spent time in League One not long before a promotion to the Premier League.

As for your opening statement - check the Lancs Telegraph.

Edited by Pedro
  • Like 8

3 minutes ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Any news?

My source hasn’t being seeing much activity at all, somebody from the French league was in and Curtis was talked about, that’s all Iv been given. Makes me slightly suspicious of these links we are getting but hope they have some substance. 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Sorry thought this was a transfer thread? There is a perfectly good mowbray thread to discuss his credentials of the job 

It was a post about expenditure and expectations - what's the issue?

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

Wrong thread , folk come here for transfer news, please use the correct thread 

Are you a site admin?? 

Talk of transfers, transfer budgets and recent expenditure ARE clearly linked to this thread.  It might not be the Champ Manager, suggesting random players eho take someone's fancy and make-believe stuff that litters the thread, or the hanging on the words of a man who know's a guy at Brockhall stuff (Twitter rumour) - but in all honesty,  it all seemed ok to me before Mashed Spuds commented and people use this thread to debate the whole spectrum of transfer-related stuff.

• Like 4