BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

1 minute ago, Pedro said:

Are you a site admin?? 

Talk of transfers, transfer budgets and recent expenditure ARE clearly linked to this thread.  It might not be the Champ Manager, suggesting random players eho take someone's fancy and make-believe stuff that litters the thread, or the hanging on the words of a man who know's a guy at Brockhall stuff (Twitter rumour) - but in all honesty,  it all seemed ok to me before Mashed Spuds commented and people use this thread to debate the whole spectrum of transfer-related stuff.

It was your choice to take the thread off topic by making unsubstantiated claims about other supporters regarding the club as tinpot. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Think what you meant to say is, you don't agree but aren't offering any evidence as to why.

So that long list of clubs that outperformed us, can now join that long list of managers that would never have joined.  Yep, all drivel ?

Anyway, to keep the harmony - any incomings or outgoings today?

• Backroom

I don't mind the thread taking a temporary detour as there isn't much transfer activity going on (as in none) but I agree that any further discussion on TM and his performance relative to our club's size/expectations should probably go in the Mowbray thread going forward!

Edited by DE.
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

It was your choice to take the thread off topic by making unsubstantiated claims about other supporters regarding the club as tinpot. 

It wasn't. Your rose-tinted specs got the better of you.  Genuinely though, I don't value your opinions, they aren't often linked to reality or facts and now you don't seem to be remotely aware of the opinions of others or facts (regardless of people pointing things out to you: whether that be who, where, when, why or how much) - so I think it is for the best that we leave it because I do feel that you must be on the wind up...again.

So...transfers?   Any hope of a left back?

• Like 4

So frustrating. Now 7 days left of transfer window - should just lock this thread now because nothing has happened, is happening or will happen. I wish we could just fast forward to July, with a new season to look forward to, because if nobody comes in this season is finished. Mid-table mediocrity every year until Tony Mowbray pops his clogs.

Edited by JoeH

7 minutes ago, JoeH said:

So frustrating. Now 7 days left of transfer window - should just lock this thread now because nothing has happened, is happening or will happen. I wish we could just fast forward to July, with a new season to look forward to, because if nobody comes in this season is finished. Mid-table mediocrity every year until Tony Mowbray pops his clogs.

I can't remember a single transfer thread in all my time on the forum where someone didn't show up with a week or more to go and prematurely declare that we should 'lock the transfer thread' (rather than just staying out of it if they're not interested).

I share your frustration Joe, I really do. And I still don't have faith in Mowbray. But I reckon there will still be one or two incomings, whether underwhelming, overwhelming or simply whelming. Along with a whole bunch of hard luck stories about what we 'tried' to do.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Signing one, loaning another before shut 

That's pretty much what I was thinking will happen. Is that based on info then or a guess? 

Edited by bluebruce

What astounds me is given the huge job we need to do in the summer - and that's just to stand still - you would have thought the club would have tried to do something towards it, even if it is the more peripheral stuff due to budget constraints. 

In the summer we will need: 

A new (and hopefully decent) first choice keeper. 

A new left back to trace Cunningham. 

2 Centre halves to replace Tosin (loan returned) and Mulgrew (if it is devatable if he is any use this season there'll be no doubt next year)

Johnson is getting on a bit and not pulling up trees anyhow. Once his legs fully go we have someone making Smallwood look good. From what I've seen this isn't far off. 

Graham - legs are going can't see him lasting another season. 

So that's 6 players who need replacing before improvements, upgrades or any outgoing activity. We're really fortunate Downing has turned out so well and can last another season otherwise that's 7 who would need replacing. 

We're coming to a log jam of a paper thin squad (to mix metaphors) and don't seem to be doing anything to sort it.

• Like 4

• Backroom
11 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

What astounds me is given the huge job we need to do in the summer - and that's just to stand still - you would have thought the club would have tried to do something towards it, even if it is the more peripheral stuff due to budget constraints. 

In the summer we will need: 

A new (and hopefully decent) first choice keeper. 

A new left back to trace Cunningham. 

2 Centre halves to replace Tosin (loan returned) and Mulgrew (if it is devatable if he is any use this season there'll be no doubt next year)

Johnson is getting on a bit and not pulling up trees anyhow. Once his legs fully go we have someone making Smallwood look good. From what I've seen this isn't far off. 

Graham - legs are going can't see him lasting another season. 

So that's 6 players who need replacing before improvements, upgrades or any outgoing activity. We're really fortunate Downing has turned out so well and can last another season otherwise that's 7 who would need replacing. 

We're coming to a log jam of a paper thin squad (to mix metaphors) and don't seem to be doing anything to sort it.

You could argue we'd need two left backs as I don't think Del or Bell are up to it as back-up for a club with serious promotion ambitions, and we're also weak at RB as Bennett is really not good enough even as second choice and even though Nyambe has improved a lot he seems to be fairly injury prone. We also have Dack out for at least the first six months of next season with as of yet unproven replacements within the squad for his position, although if we change our regular formation that may not be a pressing concern.

There's a lot to do so yes you would have expected us to try and get a jump start on the summer with at least a couple of permanent additions this month. It may still happen but the clock is ticking. I'm not sure one permanent and one loan does a whole lot to prepare us for the summer, unless the loan is a genuine first team challenger with the option to buy at the end of the season.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

Now that's not strictly true, I believe Mowbs is putting all of his, and the clubs resources into making multiple clones of Elliott Bennett as we speak. 

I'm more worried that excluded "some" of Sam Harts wages, nothing and no one else has left, and we've also regained £15k+ on Mulgrew a week.

Are other clubs really going to get to deadline day and think... "oh shit, we need to go get (Richie Smallwood, Dominic Samuel, Ben Brereton)!" 

Emrace what is (not) to come (or leave) the next 6 months....

4 minutes ago, DE. said:

You could argue we'd need two left backs as I don't think Del or Bell are up to it as back-up for a club with serious promotion ambitions, and we're also weak at RB as Bennett is really not good enough even as second choice and even though Nyambe has improved a lot he seems to be fairly injury prone. We also have Dack out for at least the first six months of next season with as of yet unproven replacements within the squad for his position, although if we change our regular formation that may not be a pressing concern.

There's a lot to do so yes you would have expected us to try and get a jump start on the summer with at least a couple of permanent additions this month. It may still happen but the clock is ticking. I'm not sure one permanent and one loan does a whole lot to prepare us for the summer, unless the loan is a genuine first team challenger with the option to buy at the end of the season.

You guys are very pessimistic. Much as it has been devastating losing Dack and Evans, we have some top notch young players coming through that may now get a chance. Also Bell looks good when Tosin, Lenihan and Nyambe are playing. 

I wonder have we turned our attention to the young Polish GK as Fisher and Hilton are coming along well. And one will be number 2 Gk next year, if not better. 

My biggest concern is CB if Tosin or Lenihan are injured. 

Also, hopefully next year we are in the Premier league and can sign Tosin outright. 

• Backroom
3 minutes ago, Vilesinner said:

You guys are very pessimistic. Much as it has been devastating losing Dack and Evans, we have some top notch young players coming through that may now get a chance. Also Bell looks good when Tosin, Lenihan and Nyambe are playing. 

I wonder have we turned our attention to the young Polish GK as Fisher and Hilton are coming along well. And one will be number 2 Gk next year, if not better. 

Also, hopefully next year we are in the Premier league and can sign Tosin outright. 

I don't think it's pessimistic, it's just looking at things realistically. I appreciate that there's a bit of a high after the Sheff Weds result and that's understandable, but the reality is we see-saw in form and results throughout the season because we have an inconsistent squad that mostly belongs in mid-table. That's just where we are right now and to improve on that we either need a significant amount of recruitment across the board or to hope that we have a hell of a lot of young talent coming through that can hit the ground running from day one next season. I don't think either scenario is likely so I am expecting another mid-table finish next season unless we have one hell of a summer recruitment-wise. 

Edited by DE.

17 minutes ago, Vilesinner said:

You mention the top notch youngsters but we dont know how many if any will break through and be regular players for where we want to go. Buckley has had the most chances and hasnt shown anything to suggest that he will be able to seriously contribute any time in the near future. Rankin Costello did well in his first cameo and should be around the first team going forward but again it could go either way. Butterworth seems to be forever injured. The youngsters should be used to supplement the squad and of course need opportunities which they should get (for example JRC and Chapman should be above Gallagher in terms of playing wide) but we cant realistically expect a clutch of them to suddenly come through and be good enough to get us into the top 6.

Bell is nowhere near good enough, and has proved over an extensive period.

The squad requires plenty signings in a few key areas before it has a genuine chance of finishing in the top 6.

29 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

Now that's not strictly true, I believe Mowbs is putting all of his, and the clubs resources into making multiple clones of Elliott Bennett as we speak. 

I'm more worried that excluded "some" of Sam Harts wages, nothing and no one else has left, and we've also regained £15k+ on Mulgrew a week.

Are other clubs really going to get to deadline day and think... "oh shit, we need to go get (Richie Smallwood, Dominic Samuel, Ben Brereton)!" 

Emrace what is (not) to come (or leave) the next 6 months....

Not true that no one has left. Cunningham has gone back. He and Mulgrew probably cancel out each other's wage contributions.

13 minutes ago, DE. said:

Twelve months ago, we were perfectly poised to have a proper shot at the playoffs. We didn't invest either sensibly or appropriately and pedictably went on one of our trademark dogshit runs. Fast forward 12months, Groundhog Day again - but even worse because we've had one win in seven and can hardly invest without repercussions of FFP sanctions - due to a certain person (who has a thread) tying ourselves in knots with utterly terrible recruitment.

We knew back then the basics of what the squad needed - it didn't materialize.  We know what is still needed - it absolutely won't materialize again.  I call it massive failure - neglectful in fact. Some package it up as consolidation and other cliches like  keeping powder dry etc. and are already writing off the season in the make-believe scenario that we will somehow do basic things right, with money we can't spend and have a better shot next season (When three teams who know how to get out of this league , come down with even bigger budgets than the last time they we'd us how it was done).  Make no mistake, we will be wasteful again and spend something for the sake of spending, probably on someone who won't be "Up to speed" for a month.  At best, we'll get a Jack of all trades, master of none individual (midfielder no doubt) who will do half a job somewhere because he's quiet and easy to manage. We will get  the inevitable interview saying our derisory offers for experienced players were laughed off (not with such honesty of course) and how we tried with a number of deals that couldn't get over the line because teams don't want to lose good players when they are in with a chance of promotion...or fighting relegation...or wanting stability...or *insert pathetic excuse here *

Oh to simply have a plan and the bollocks to go for it.

• Like 6

• Moderation Lead
2 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Wrong thread , folk come here for transfer news, please use the correct thread 

That’s for the mods to decide, but nobody likes a grass, so sadly, you’ve failed your audition.

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 7