BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Because like I said, he is playing with his mates. Hes not just suddenly become only capable of playing at the 12th level.

I very much doubt it, it is a job at the end of the day. As far as they are concerned they are fighting for their places here.

My point was that you can with planning and obviously with funds available sign players prior to the last few days. Regarding other signings, Scott Sinclair in particular and also Patrick Roberts would be a massive improvement on our bunch of non scoring and assisting wide players.

I dont think its going to be an exciting last few days signing the 3 players youve earmarked. Seems like the kitty is dry. Hopefully its all a ploy and we have massively strengthened by next week. I doubt it.

so it took him 6 months to decide to play with his mates? living the life there. 

Didn't want Sinclair or Roberts. Rather we used Rankin Costello and Chapman if that's the best available. 

Like I have said it will be chaos in the championship next week with so many clubs after players and as per usual most clubs keep their business until the last week of the window. I be happy with a left back being the only signing. We will know in 6 days time. 

54 minutes ago, Hasta said:

I don't think Smallwood has the reputation Marshall has that probably makes managers wary. 

that's a fair point. If I was a manager I would be wary of any players who rarely sit in the reserves and just train earning their wage over playing 1st team football. That's my point. 

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

could he have got a contract in football league club? So why has he only just signed a contract with a club in 10th division of football. 

If Smallwood or Samuel are more interested in money than playing football that is going to put off some managers from being interesting in them. 

I expected alot of clubs to make a late flurry of transfers and it will be chaos next week. 

Yes some other teams have made a few signings but hardly any that make you think wish we sign them unless I haven't seen them. Leeds, Forest, Sheff Wed and WBA all after strikers and haven't got any in as far as I know. 

Would have taken Ryan Woods or Jack Clarke but that's abit it to be honest

Do you really think that Marshall ability wise is not able to get a contract at the bare minimum at a L1 club? 

Looks to me that he has doesn't really have the hunger for it anymore. He knows the owners at his new club and is doing them a favor more than anything else. He hasn't suddenly turned into a terrible player that can now only sign for pub teams.

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, JacknOry said:

Do you really think that Marshall ability wise is not able to get a contract at the bare minimum at a L1 club? 

Looks to me that he has doesn't really have the hunger for it anymore. He knows the owners at his new club and is doing them a favor more than anything else. He hasn't suddenly turned into a terrible player that can now only sign for pub teams.

Well he did have talks with Bolton but not sign a deal there. 

Bentley went the same way when he lost the hunger and desire for the game. 

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

They’ve all been away this week tbf. Including the General Manager and directors. 

How is that any kind of defence of our lack of activity?

It’s really simple: do we need players? Yes! We’ve all identified our weaknesses.

Last year, a good January convinced Mowbray that we could let P Downing go and not bring in anyone to improve us. We all said what would happen - and it did.

It seems, this season, a 5-0 win is just as good a reason.

Round and round we go...

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Stuart said:

How is that any kind of defence of our lack of activity?

It’s really simple: do we need players? Yes! We’ve all identified our weaknesses.

Last year, a good January convinced Mowbray that we could let P Downing go and not bring in anyone to improve us. We all said what would happen - and it did.

It seems, this season, a 5-0 win is just as good a reason.

Round and round we go...

It's just amateurish. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Some very harsh judgements there for me, plenty of low-risk signings there which have either contributed whilst they were here or still very much have the potential to. Judging Nuttall as not worth his contract when we signed him on a free for the youth team, scored a few goals for us then sold on a profit seems harsh. Some other small investments who were fine, even if they weren't in the plans for the future, like Rodwell or P. Downing.

We didn't worry about wasting money on fees and wages for Maceo Rigters, Bruno Berner and Johan Vogel when the profits from Santa-Cruz and Bentley pay for them fifty times over. I don't see why we should worry about the money 'wasted' on the likes of Hart, Lyons, Caddis, P. Downing or Rodwelll when you think about how much the value has increased for Dack, Armstrong and Rothwell.

Can't disagree that the Brereton transfer is looking more and more like it might be an expensive error, but there's no doubting that the squad's value has increased enormously since TM took over, and by more than the outlay we've spent on transfer fees. Dack might be doing a bit of the heavy lifting for that, but Armstrong's value will have tripled since we signed him and Rothwell is certainly worth much more than the few hundred grand we paid for him.

Every wasteful signing is a fair leap towards FFP sanctions.  This is proven by the tentative situation we find ourselves in now.

I do think some people overlook and underestimate the wages that players are on and I can't agree that just because one injured player who has a potential value that the transfer 'strategy' during the Mowbray reign is ok - it is dire. For me, there's no such thing as a 'free transfer' and every signing should be potential players for the first team. Loads just aren't worthy of their thousands a week and many of them have been paid for nothing or paid to 'get up to speed  on the grass'.  To put it into context, the annual wages for five or six of those pointless signings equates to the entire revenue from season tickets - yet we get the sob story every year from Mowbray and Waggott that we need more people at the ground with the half season tickets deals etc. and it stops us competing.   Poor business acumen, management and transfer dealings stops us competing.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DE. said:

In fairness he did state permanent signings at the top of the post.

I pretty much agree with the assessments, although I'd say Paul Downing was a success overall as he did much better than expected, and Nutall could probably be considered successful as well due to the low fee/wages and the return we got on the pitch and in the eventual sale. 

On the whole though our permanent signings have been pretty poor. No point anybody taking about speculative squad value as that only counts when we actually sell somebody for decent profit. Dack in particular is a total question mark after his injury.

I liked Downing, but he was one of many not to be used when needed.  Sending him on loan last season was ridiculous, especially the timing of it.

• Like 1

• Backroom
1 minute ago, Pedro said:

I liked Downing, but he was one of many not to be used when needed.  Sending him on loan last season was ridiculous, especially the timing of it.

Whilst I agree Downing should not have been sent on loan if we weren't going to bring in a replacement, I also don't think he was ultimately Championship standard. I think he's been in L1 ever since he left us. He was basically brought in to provide cover for our League 1 campaign, did a good job and was then moved on due to not being quite good enough for the Championship - or our ambitions for it, anyway. The fact he was let go without replacement is a seperate issue for me, and I'd still say his signing was successful for what it was meant to be. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Pedro said:

All about the player again and letting him get fixed up. Just like letting others sit on their contracts eating up wages.

Then some say the attitude towards FF P is relaxed. The attitude to everything seems to relaxed at times. They'll never build a promotion challenging team like that.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, DE. said:

Whilst I agree Downing should not have been sent on loan if we weren't going to bring in a replacement, I also don't think he was ultimately Championship standard. I think he's been in L1 ever since he left us. He was basically brought in to provide cover for our League 1 campaign, did a good job and was then moved on due to not being quite good enough for the Championship - or our ambitions for it, anyway. The fact he was let go without replacement is a seperate issue for me, and I'd still say his signing was successful for what it was meant to be. 

Fair enough ?

1 hour ago, Pedro said:

Every wasteful signing is a fair leap towards FFP sanctions.  This is proven by the tentative situation we find ourselves in now.

I do think some people overlook and underestimate the wages that players are on and I can't agree that just because one injured player who has a potential value that the transfer 'strategy' during the Mowbray reign is ok - it is dire. For me, there's no such thing as a 'free transfer' and every signing should be potential players for the first team. Loads just aren't worthy of their thousands a week and many of them have been paid for nothing or paid to 'get up to speed  on the grass'.  To put it into context, the annual wages for five or six of those pointless signings equates to the entire revenue from season tickets - yet we get the sob story every year from Mowbray and Waggott that we need more people at the ground with the half season tickets deals etc. and it stops us competing.   Poor business acumen, management and transfer dealings stops us competing.

I agree that investing wisely is vital for any club in this league without parachute payments, and that some of Tony's signings haven't come off.

At the same time I think that it's exactly by the strength of some of TM's signings (as well as with academy players) that we are in a position to trade now in a way that is like night and day with the squad he inherited. I'd say we could've got a couple of million for Lenihan, other than that we had a squad full of toxic assets, in financial terms.

I know not everyone will agree, but a a couple of points which I think are worth making:

• Some of the players marked as failures in the original post made some signficant contributions. Would we have got promoted without P. Downing and Samuel? Maybe, maybe not. We're not seeing any profit from Rodwell, but he played a part in winning games for us last year.
  • Every signing is a risk, and it's completely unrealistic to expect every signing a team makes to be a success. Some need to be, Dack needed to be, Tosin needed to be when we didn't bring another centre half in. Arguaby Walton needed to be and he's coming up a bit short, so TM should be the one taking responsibility for it. Sam Hart's wage still contributes towards FFP, but if you get the high ticket stuff right I don't think it's right to use free transfers or players brought in for their potential as evidence that we have been especially profligate when the squad overall is worth more than we paid for it.
Edited by Admiral Nelsen
  • Like 3

Friday night is going to be so exciting on the run up to 23:00. Ha !

Flicking between Jim White trying to make nothing sound exciting and Live coverage from the port of Dover.

They should make Jim stand out in the cold live in Calais. That will teach the prick for spouting about "going after Venkys" but then doing fuck all.

According to reports from Blackburn, Tony has said "defenders are coming".

According to reports from here in Calais, Blackburn's new Portuguese defender was unable to get a work permit due to not having the necessary skills required by the UK.

• Backroom
29 minutes ago, Pedro said:

Fair enough ?

For what it's worth I do remember questioning making the loan a permanent signing, but at the time I think the concensus was that he had earned the deal through his performances during that season. Also found this on his wikipedia which I found kind of amusing: 

Downing was seen by many of his Rovers team mates to be something of a mentor figure, leading him to be known among the squad as Uncle Paul.

• Backroom
3 hours ago, matt83 said:

Waggott was in Ribchester yesterday although not sure what he actually does. 

Yep he met with the Roverstrust on Thursday so can’t have been too far away 

• Like 1