BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

10 hours ago, JacknOry said:

The DG and Dack combination worked really well but now that Dack is out, the importance of DG is not what it was. Still a great player but certainly on the wane. Besides, we really need to be planning for life without him now. 

Exactly what people said about DG at the start of the league one campaign when he was left out. Remember that great run that actually almost got us into contention in November / December. Guess who started 5 out of 6 games?

Against Preston he did more in two touches to bring others into the game than Gallagher had done in 75 minutes.

He just doesn't fit in thanks to the spending narrative of the manager.

Edited by Hasta
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

I’d say that around January in the seasons they went up a lot of them probably had the same fears we have with squads of similar quality. Some better, some worse.

How many Sheffield Utd fans do you think genuinely thought they would go up and compete in the PL? Same with Burnley?

Appreciate your opinion on the manager and squad but this notion of be ‘worthy’ PL candidates is romantic at best and utterly ridiculous at worst.

But sheff Utd had a decent team, decent manager playing a style that suited and were top 2 pretty much all campaign.

i have unfortunately saw us several times this season and we aren’t very good , quite honestly I’m surprised we aren’t in deeper trouble. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Doncaster sniffing for a striker, Dom samuel being offered to lg1 clubs, could see that one happening before deadline. 

id swap Smallwood for shrews mid Laurent who was mom against Liverpool today, looked very tidy and capable of filling in evans injury 

He had a really good game. Players who can run with the ball from the half way line to the penalty area will always hurt teams no matter how good they are. He's been around the block a few times though.The thought went through my mind that he might be the sort of player that can raise his game for the big matches but not for the bread and butter league matches. If he can do as well in the tie at Anfield will be interesting.

I thought Ebanks-Landell played well at the back. I didn't realise he was 27 though.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

If you get promoted you need to win 12 games to have a chance of survival this current team is a bit short of that and as we can see the Championship is a far more difficult league to get out of as so many teams can beat another! Rovers need a bit of guile in the middle and a he’d savvy central midfielder that will be Travis if we can keep him progressing . As for incomings ? I see there is still no news worthwhile 

4 minutes ago, neophox said:

Jason Cummnings scored two against Pool, would sign him immediately. 24 years old and striker.

Was meant to be the next big thing for Scottish football at one point but has definitely gone off the boil since leaving Hibs. Would be wary, personally. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

The owners seem hell bent on the premier league, why else would they keep pumping money in and sticking around like they have.?  So,  if we fluke our way there I do expect money to be made available as they'll want to stay up....Balaji would be lapping it up at Old Trafford and all that. I don't think Tony is the right man to spend the money even if he does get us up 

They're still here because they don't know how to extricate themselves from their self created mess without losing a massive amount of face. So they just let things drift along.

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

When he left we were on a decline which eventually lead us into league 1!? Whereas we now sit in the Championship looking up at a potential promotion push having spent less than at least 11 teams in there who currently benefit from parachute payments.

But all of the above is only the tip of the iceberg. There’s been huge steps made internally and in terms of infrastructure.

When he left we were mid table in the Championship with optimism after Lambert's appointment. It was that optimism that allowed the Rhodes sale to happen with minimal fuss from fans because many believed that there was a plan to reinvest and build under the new manager.

The sale of Rhodes and others and failure to reinvest paved the way for relegation.

We are now back where we started- mid table Championship- threatening but never quite doing what is needed to break into the promotion picture.

Since Rhodes left in 2016 I think we've lost about another £70-80 million. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I get what your saying but how many of our first team currently are prem league ready? I suggest none being brutally honest. So it puts us at an awkward position of do we put significant money to even compete at that level and potentially harm us long term should it not work out or do we accept that we are going to be relegated but we just want the money so that maybe next time we can try better. Imagine mowbray or venkys came out and said that- yea we know it’s going to result in relegation but we are thinking next time we will be stronger- wouldn’t wash with fans, go back to the protest days, which again harms our club. The gates would dwindle as the season becomes hopeless and long term we loss even more fans as happened the last time, few bad seasons and they lose interest. 
I get that it’s all about the money but as a fan- I want to enjoy going to ewood. Going and expecting defeat after defeat is horrible, been there and lost interest - coyle days- can do a lot of damage.

of course I want us back, but I’d be much happier if we done it competently and I trusted the team/ management which I don’t just now. If we somehow snuck into playoffs and got through them it would be certainly sneaking up the back door rather than being worthy prem candidates the whole season

This time last season how many of Sheffield United's players did you think were ready for the Premier League ? In fact how many do you think are " Premier League " players at the moment ? How many big clubs are in for their " stars " ? There's more to it than individual skills. It's about, organisation, motivation, self belief etc. Most of all it's about having a good manager. That's were my argument falls down as far as Rovers are concerned.

Going back in the mists of time we would have been OK going up with Ken Furphy, Jim Smith, Gordon Lee or Howard Kendall in charge. OK we'd lose more than we won but we'd make a fight of staying up. Unfortunately our current manager isn't as streetwise as they were.

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I would say Dack, Travis and Armstrong have all got better under Mowbray. 

Yes Mowbray is playing Gallagher on the right but hes a role for the team and wants to get better in that role. 

I agree. 

Rhodes's career has gone nowhere since leaving here. 

Playing Gallagher wide is not effective in any way shape or form. Saying "he has a role in the team and wants to get better in that role" is just a smokescreen for that. Theres no positive angle for him playing there, you have yourself said that you dont like him playing there.

You talked about his development being stunted at Birmingham, if he is spending hours trying to become slightly better at a position he quite blatantly isnt suited to nor has the attributes for, his development as a striker is again being stunted by Mowbray.

2 hours ago, DE. said:

At this stage of the season the table doesn't lie. We're past the half way point and 10 other teams have been better than us and accrued more points, that's just a fact regardless of any other speculations. It doesn't mean we can't go on to have a storming second half of the season and ultimately finish top six, but there's no real evidence pointing to that happening right now. What we've seen is the same old story of the team collapsing mentally when we get within touching distance of the playoff positions, only to start playing well again when we're back in mid-table with the pressure valve off. 

I'd like nothing better than for the manager and the players to prove me wrong, but unfortunately I don't think they have it in them. 

It's the mental side of the team that is a worry and it has been for years now. We haven't got enough " winners " at the club. That starts from right at the top.

• Like 3

Mowbray is coming out with the same platitudes about the rest of the window that we have heard before, that theres nothing imminent, we cant afford fees being banded, reliant on clubs releasing players on loan, all in hope rather than expectation unsurprisingly. Dont think hes been chased up on the deal he had lined up over a week ago.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

Mowbray is coming out with the same platitudes about the rest of the window that we have heard before, that theres nothing imminent, we cant afford fees being banded, reliant on clubs releasing players on loan, all in hope rather than expectation unsurprisingly. Dont think hes been chased up on the deal he had lined up over a week ago.

He hasnt said we cant afford the fees there. Look at his quotes

5 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Playing Gallagher wide is not effective in any way shape or form. Saying "he has a role in the team and wants to get better in that role" is just a smokescreen for that. Theres no positive angle for him playing there, you have yourself said that you dont like him playing there.

You talked about his development being stunted at Birmingham

His development over the 2 years he wasnt here did stop his all round game developing. 

If Gallagher wants to be playing regularly then he has to go wide. No forward role available. Armstrong is our number 9 and hes suits the role. Wasnt suited much to wide role but just got on with his role and tried his best. Yes Gallagher isnt a winger but we dont with natural wide man anyway. Mowbray likes Wide forwards or a wide player cutting in like Rothwell

• Like 1

Replying to 47er

They know what they need and scout several players who might fit the hole in their squad and be available. If someone says no they dont hang around too long.  They move on to the next on the list. That's what proper clubs do

Edited by gumboots

5 minutes ago, 47er said:

Mowbray makes it sound as if the difficulties encountered in the transfer window are unique to him and Rovers.

How does anyone sign anyone Tony?

Having heard his interviews on Radio Lancs would you want to sign for him ? He's hardly inspiring  to listen to. I was just thinking about an interview with Chris Wilder I heard and thinking what a difference in attitude.

1 hour ago, Hasta said:

Exactly what people said about DG at the start of the league one campaign when he was left out. Remember that great run that actually almost got us into contention in November / December. Guess who started 5 out of 6 games?

Against Preston he did more in two touches to bring others into the game than Gallagher had done in 75 minutes.

He just doesn't fit in thanks to the spending narrative of the manager.

Graham should be playing if it is about the "here and now". If the actual remit is stay in Championship and sell players now and again then Gallagher & Armstrong are the logical choices to get as much game time as possible.

10 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

He hasnt said we cant afford the fees there. Look at his quotes

Your best mate Nixon said yesterday that we can’t afford Jozwiak or Curtis, and those fees were only around the 2 or 3 million mark! We can’t spend now because of the threat of FFP and the fact our original backup plan of selling Dack has been scuppered, be extremely surprised if we buy anybody outright before the deadline, we might bring a loan in at most. Close the thread, we aren’t doing f**k all this window.

• Like 1