BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

19 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Without wanting to be negative about this ( I think it is a positive step) it does raise further questions. Why have we left it to now to appoint this person? How long will it take for him to arrive and get to work on targets? Why didn't we appoint him this time last year?

It appears to me that it is just more stalling and diversionary tactics. Keep the fans off our backs for a few more months because before long we'll have all these great European players coming in. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Vilesinner said:

You think Sheffield Wednesday, Bristol City, Brentford or any other teams we stuffed are better? 
?

If we are so good, how come we just played Wigan, Huddersfield, Forest, Preston and Birmingham (twice) and couldn't stuff any of them.

We're a decent Championship side who is too inconsistent to challenge.

• Like 3

“When people phone about our players, you pick a number out of the air and that gives them an idea about what they might take.

“Either negotiations start or you frighten them off with that number."

Talk about amateur. No wonder other clubs are proving hard to deal with, "Oh you're calling about Richie Smallwood, (spins tombola), it think £6m sounds about right."

Get rid.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Without wanting to be negative about this ( I think it is a positive step) it does raise further questions. Why have we left it to now to appoint this person? How long will it take for him to arrive and get to work on targets? Why didn't we appoint him this time last year?

It appears to me that it is just more stalling and diversionary tactics. Keep the fans off our backs for a few more months because before long we'll have all these great European players coming in. 

It has taken very long for sure and I think this is a legitimate question to ask Waggott. I would imagine they could get a lot done between now and the end of the season. Could take a look at the Euros too. 

I wouldn't put the tinfoil hat on and say it was stalling or diversionary tactics, from my experience with recruitment when things are delayed like this, it's usually down to ineptitude in the role or lack of resources(including manpower). I mean it's not like Waggott was in charge of advertising the role, finding suitable candidates, scheduling the interviews etc. It was with HR I would imagine. So what is the HR function from an admin point of view? How many on the team?  

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

42 minutes ago, Angry_Pirate said:

“When people phone about our players, you pick a number out of the air and that gives them an idea about what they might take.

“Either negotiations start or you frighten them off with that number."

Talk about amateur. No wonder other clubs are proving hard to deal with, "Oh you're calling about Richie Smallwood, (spins tombola), it think £6m sounds about right."

Get rid.

No wonder the transfer windows are horrendous.  When we are buying players we get shit like this

TM: "How much do you want for Ben Brereton?"

Nottingham 1: "Make up some bullshit number, 7 million or something"

Nottingham 2: "7 million for Ben"

TM: "Fantastic"

And now when we are selling players

Random Club: "We are interested in buying Dominic Samuel given you don't play him"

TM: "5 MILLION and not a penny less"

Random Club: "......."

TM: "Why cant we sell any of our deadwood?"

Can anyone really say they are surprised how this transfer window has panned out!?

Despite the utterances of some on here and the 'smoke and mirrors' from Ewood, I think it's pretty clear we haven't a transfer pot to p1ss in.

Where we are is a result of, IMO, Mowbray's shambolic player trading record.

I think Mowbray has signed the wrong players for the wrong positions and therefore we see the square pegs in round holes syndrome.

I think Brereton and Gallagher are appalling and expensive signings and if Mowbray tries to tell us they were signed as 'wide men' then he's even more incompetent than I thought.  IMO, Armstrong just hasn't got the physicality to be a number nine, is not a 'wide man' and is more suited to being one of two front men in partnership with a bigger unit, however, doesn't seem to be a Mowbray system! 

It also seems from the LT that we took Smallwood to Portugal.  What the feck is that about when he seems to be no longer part of our first team plans and is seemingly happy to sit out the rest of his contract with us contributing little.  IMO, unbelievably poor management of the situation.

Think the only way Venky's get a good part of their £160m+ money back is if we get back to the PL.  IMO, that will not happen under Mowbray.  I don't think it takes too much to get out of this league.  Appoint a manager who knows what the feck he's doing, is shrewd in player trading, can organise a team and can get the most out of available resources - get some momentum and confidence and away you go.

As an aside, as I said before the window opened, I still think, and increasingly think so, there will be at least one 'big' departure before the window closes.

Edited by Mercer
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Can anyone really say they are surprised how this transfer window has panned out!?

Despite the utterances of some on here and the 'smoke and mirrors' from Ewood, I think it's pretty clear we haven't a transfer pot to p1ss in.

Where we are is a result of, IMO, Mowbray's shambolic player trading record.

I think Mowbray has signed the wrong players for the wrong positions and therefore we see the square pegs in round holes syndrome.

I think Brereton and Gallagher are appalling and expensive signings and if Mowbray tries to tell us they were signed as 'wide men' then he's even more incompetent than I thought.  IMO, Armstrong just hasn't got the physicality to be a number nine, is not a 'wide man' and is more suited to being one of two front men in partnership with a bigger unit, however, doesn't seem to be a Mowbray system! 

It also seems from the LT that we took Smallwood to Portugal.  What the feck is that about when he seems to be no longer part of our first team plans and is seemingly happy to sit out the rest of his contract with us contributing little.  IMO, unbelievably poor management of the situation.

Think the only way Venky's get a good part of their £160m+ money back is if we get back to the PL.  IMO, that will not happen under Mowbray.  I don't think it takes too much to get out of this league.  Appoint a manager who knows what the feck he's doing, is shrewd in player trading, can organise a team and get the most out of available resources - get some momentum and confidence and away you go.

As an aside, as I said before the window opened, I still think, and increasingly think so, there will be at least one 'big' departure before the window closes.

In terms of departures your right, but it’s more than one. Tm has been having 1on 1 meetings all afternoon , few are being asked to leave with options put to them 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, OJRovers said:

If Championship clubs are interested in Smallwood we should be looking to get a loan fee for him. Why help out other clubs in the same division without any benefit to us.

If we get all his wages off the bill I'd settle for that, unless he was going to a promotion chasing team. We aren't going to use him.

2 hours ago, JHRover said:

The thing is JHR we are under threat of FFP if not perilously close to it so stands to reason that we will have little or no funds to spend . Ergo , it’s either a waste of time window dressing or we will be trawling the Albanian 3rd division looking for a hidden jewel !!!

There is just no structure or method to what we are doing , zero clarity on what positions we want to fill , what system we are trying to play etc etc . We are a joke .

“we don’t want to throw money around hoping we get one out of 4 or 5 right”” ???!! 
Hello you Baffoon, that’s exactly what you have done .... and worse than that, you extended their contracts when everyone could see they weren’t up to it .

TM is just a babbling idiot and his claptrap just winds me up . I’ve lost all sense of what we are trying to do or quite where all this will end up .We are run by idiots .

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

In terms of departures your right, but it’s more than one. Tm has been having 1on 1 meetings all afternoon , few are being asked to leave with options put to them 

He said big departure and you said he is right but more than one.

Am I right to assume you meant more than one small or fringe player departure, rather than more than one big departure?

If it's true they thought Brereton and Gallagher would be banging them in on Rhodes, Rudy levels by now so that's why they shelled out i absolutely despair of the judgement of the management and coaches. 

To me it just sounds like backside covering hogwash directing the blame back at the players but who'd be surprised if it wasn't. 

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

Just now, bluebruce said:

He said big departure and you said he is right but more than one.

Am I right to assume you meant more than one small or fringe player departure, rather than more than one big departure?

Big players but not regulars this season and not in plans moving forward 

• Like 1

• Backroom
15 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

Big players but not regulars this season and not in plans moving forward 

Mulgrew surely. 

We need his wages off the books.

I don't blame him for hanging onto a contact we gave him, but at 33, if he wants to play a bit more football in his career, he needs a fresh start somewhere new.  

• Like 3