BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

17 minutes ago, Doaksie said:

Mulgrew, Smallwood, Graham come to mind as feasible. 

I'd personally be upset if Graham featured on the list.

Me too, but I'd be surprised as well. Armstrong being productive at centre forward, and maybe Dack's injury in a strange sort of way, means that we can possibly see a way of not being as reliant on Graham, but I don't think Mowbray will think that we're there yet (or anything close, disappointingly). 

There might be a different decision to be made at the end of the year, but keeping Graham at least for one more window should be no-brainier. I hope we keep him next year too, which admittedly will probably be his last. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Silas said:

Mulgrew surely. 

We need his wages off the books.

I don't blame him for hanging onto a contact we gave him, but at 33, if he wants to play a bit more football in his career, he needs a fresh start somewhere new.  

He can literally only go to Wigan though is the thing. Or those very specific leagues with different season timetables. Was it like, Australia and the MLS?

• Like 1

"Northampton Town goalkeeper David Cornell who could yet make a late move away from Sixfields this month. The 28-year-old’s contract with the League Two side expires at the end of the season and he could be available on the cheap before the end of the month."

Just end the window now. Stop the suffering

Edited by CambridgeRover
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, CambridgeRover said:

"Northampton Town goalkeeper David Cornell who could yet make a late move away from Sixfields this month. The 28-year-old’s contract with the League Two side expires at the end of the season and he could be available on the cheap before the end of the month."

Just end the window now. Stop the suffering

Ha ha! Might be better putting Smallwood in goal again! Lol!

4 hours ago, Ossydave said:

Leeds have signed Jean-Kevin Augustin on loan from Leipzig.........

only took them 4 months for find one. Know since October they want one. Don't know much about the player tbh

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

But he cannot play wide full stop. You dont have to defend it when youve said previously that you disagree with it, you are trying to justify it because Mowbray has done it. If he cannot get in the team in his natural position, then he should play at all. This wide forward bollocks doesnt work either. Its neither helping the players development or more importantly benefitting the team.

Like I said its the way Mowbray is currently playing the system. If we sign a right side wide player this week it might change

3 hours ago, JHRover said:

Without wanting to be negative about this ( I think it is a positive step) it does raise further questions. Why have we left it to now to appoint this person? How long will it take for him to arrive and get to work on targets? Why didn't we appoint him this time last year?

It appears to me that it is just more stalling and diversionary tactics. Keep the fans off our backs for a few more months because before long we'll have all these great European players coming in. 

We advertised the position in August for an European Scout. Have we been waiting for working for him to work his notice? waiting for Venkys to green light the contract? 

2 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

£4m for Nahki Wells is great value.

I wouldn't be paying 4 mil for him. 

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

only took them 4 months for find one. Know since October they want one. Don't know much about the player tbh

Like I said its the way Mowbray is currently playing the system. If we sign a right side wide player this week it might change

We advertised the position in August for an European Scout. Have we been waiting for working for him to work his notice? waiting for Venkys to green light the contract? 

You wouldn’t pay 4 million for a lad on 15 goals so far this year and on course for 20/25? Younger than when grab an went to forest so 6 million who you linked despite a poorer record?

What did you describe the Brereton fee again as? A steal was it?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

Despite the utterances of some on here and the 'smoke and mirrors' from Ewood, I think it's pretty clear we haven't a transfer pot to p1ss in.

IMO, Armstrong just hasn't got the physicality to be a number nine, is not a 'wide man' and is more suited to being one of two front men in partnership with a bigger unit, however, doesn't seem to be a Mowbray system! 

As an aside, as I said before the window opened, I still think, and increasingly think so, there will be at least one 'big' departure before the window closes.

So if we haven't got any money why have we put cash bids in for players then? 

Armstrong ripped Sheff Wed apart and his pace and movement in 9 role will create the space for Holtby and Rothwell to be more creativity. Since Dack injury he has set up to the mark and performed very good

big departure? You always say this and nothing will come true of it. why weaker a squad when we are close to the playoffs picture?

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

If that is correct, why do them so late in the window?!

Potential clubs waiting to get players off their books before they can buy or loan players. Players waiting until close to the end of the window before wanting to move

1 minute ago, Scotland1 said:

You wouldn’t pay 4 million for a lad on 15 goals so far this year and on course for 20/25? Younger than when grab an went to forest so 6 million who you linked despite a poorer record?

What did you describe the Brereton fee again as? A steal was it?

blimey, Keep going back to the Brereton fee argument. I did admit the other week that I got it wrong. Its a shame that sadly some people are very petty and use this as a stick to beat certain posters with. 

Linked Grabban to Rovers? don't think so. His wages are too high for us. Maybe check things before you posted it. 

I rather we spend the money on keeper and defence departments which we need to this summer. Need at least 2 keepers and 4 to 5 defenders in this summer

19 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

So if we haven't got any money why have we put cash bids in for players then?  If a player is worth £3million in the eyes of his existing club then you aint got a snowball's chance in hell of landing him with a derisory offer.  IMO, it's 'window dressing' for the fans and, sadly, many fans buy it thinking we are active in the market. 

Armstrong ripped Sheff Wed apart and his pace and movement in 9 role will create the space for Holtby and Rothwell to be more creativity. Since Dack injury he has set up to the mark and performed very good.  IMO, we need a number 9 with a physical presence and Armstrong doesn't fit the bill.  I am far conviced by Armstrong - a speed merchant but, IMO, technically poor with a limited football brain.

big departure? You always say this and nothing will come true of it. why weaker a squad when we are close to the playoffs picture?  Be prepared to be surprised then!  We might be close to the play offs but I think our squad is a short on what is needed - throw in a manager who I think is hugely short of the required standard and we wont be at the races.  The bottom line, IMO, is we will stand still, at best.

Potential clubs waiting to get players off their books before they can buy or loan players. Players waiting until close to the end of the window before wanting to move.  My thoughts - we might get one or two cheap loans in or a very low cash signing but there will be at least three out the door including at least one 'big beast'.

Edited by Mercer

31 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

If it takes 6 months to appoint a scout, whatever the reason behind it, we might as well give up.

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead
43 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Yeah, but it’s wrong and everyone can see it bar Mowbray. 

The galling thing is we have actual wingers kicking their heels, while Gallagher is out of position, like a fish up a tree. It’s not his fault he is picked there though.

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 4

27 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

18 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

So if we haven't got any money why have we put cash bids in for players then? 

Armstrong ripped Sheff Wed apart and his pace and movement in 9 role will create the space for Holtby and Rothwell to be more creativity. Since Dack injury he has set up to the mark and performed very good

big departure? You always say this and nothing will come true of it. why weaker a squad when we are close to the playoffs picture?

Potential clubs waiting to get players off their books before they can buy or loan players. Players waiting until close to the end of the window before wanting to move

Mowbray is currently playing the wide forward system, and has done so, but that doesnt mean that he is right. The wide areas in my opinion have been an achilles heel throughout Mowbrays tenure. Antonsson had a bit of a hot spell there, Armstrong in very small patches, but aside from that, many of the other players that have been tested there have quite simply not been comfortable or effective there, Gallagher, Brereton, Samuel etc. Even more talented players like Holtby or to a far less extent, Jack Payne have been tried there with no success.

It is ok to go against the managers opinion and state that Gallagher is quite simply not fit to play wide, no matter how many videos he watches or "information he takes on board" it is not only hindering the team having him offering nothing there, but it is also disrupting the players development to be trying to mould him into something (at the age of 24) that he is never going to become a success at because he doesnt have the skillset or the subtlety to do that.

Whether we sign a winger or not this week, and if we dont get at least one that is a failure on the club and the manager, then Gallagher STILL should not be on the wing. It has been trialled and failed many times. All of the analysis and training for Gallagher should be based around him being a more effective striker than we have seen so far. In terms of wide positions, we are not strong in terms of proven quality in these areas, but whether it is the youth and natural width that Rankin Costello and Chapman can provide, the more proven outlets of Downing and Armstrong, (the main issue with these 2 is that we need the former in central midfield or left back and the latter up front) the pace and dribbling but ultimately repeatedly flattering to deceive Rothwell, or even in an emergency someone like Bennett (who I would hope is one that could be moved on in the next 5 days but doubt the manager will) they are all better options than Gallagher lumbering up and down and frustrating us all.

Regarding the cash bids, basically all that has been confirmed by the manager is that we are nowhere near the price tags that teams have set for their players, we may have some money but clearly it is barely any. 

And our players futures should have been sorted by the start of the month then they knew where they stand. I am not sure it makes much sense to keep involving Smallwood and Samuel around the first team squad to be honest.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Yeah, but it’s wrong and everyone can see it bar Mowbray. 

The galling thing is we have actual wingers kicking their heels, while Gallagher is out of position, like a fish up a tree. It’s not his fault he is picked there though.

Agreed, the whole wide forward thing is bollocks really. To be fair, Gallagher has been really poor up front too where he has played plenty as well, so I suspect it is a mixture of being reluctant to drop his big money signing and a lack of proven quality out wide, but it is illogical and is vocally getting the fans irritated now.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Mowbray is currently playing the wide forward system, and has done so, but that doesnt mean that he is right. The wide areas in my opinion have been an achilles heel throughout Mowbrays tenure. Antonsson had a bit of a hot spell there, Armstrong in very small patches, but aside from that, many of the other players that have been tested there have quite simply not been comfortable or effective there, Gallagher, Brereton, Samuel etc. Even more talented players like Holtby or to a far less extent, Jack Payne have been tried there with no success.

It is ok to go against the managers opinion and state that Gallagher is quite simply not fit to play wide, no matter how many videos he watches or "information he takes on board" it is not only hindering the team having him offering nothing there, but it is also disrupting the players development to be trying to mould him into something (at the age of 24) that he is never going to become a success at because he doesnt have the skillset or the subtlety to do that.

Whether we sign a winger or not this week, and if we dont get at least one that is a failure on the club and the manager, then Gallagher STILL should not be on the wing. It has been trialled and failed many times. All of the analysis and training for Gallagher should be based around him being a more effective striker than we have seen so far. In terms of wide positions, we are not strong in terms of proven quality in these areas, but whether it is the youth and natural width that Rankin Costello and Chapman can provide, the more proven outlets of Downing and Armstrong, (the main issue with these 2 is that we need the former in central midfield or left back and the latter up front) the pace and dribbling but ultimately repeatedly flattering to deceive Rothwell, or even in an emergency someone like Bennett (who I would hope is one that could be moved on in the next 5 days but doubt the manager will) they are all better options than Gallagher lumbering up and down and frustrating us all.

Regarding the cash bids, basically all that has been confirmed by the manager is that we are nowhere near the price tags that teams have set for their players, we may have some money but clearly it is barely any. 

And our players futures should have been sorted by the start of the month then they knew where they stand. I am not sure it makes much sense to keep involving Smallwood and Samuel around the first team squad to be honest.

Ya,but he also played Conway, Bennett , Chapman, Downing there and I am sure I am forgetting others. Antonnsson and Armstrong certainly did the job there too. I don't think Gallagher should be there,but he did have a few decent games there and in fairness to the lad he works his bollox off.

I think he gets a very hard time here, particularly from yourself. You actually go as far as pretty much denying knowledge of the fact he scored 12 goals here first time around and repeatedly state that he can't score. 

• Like 1

On 24/01/2020 at 21:20, andyroversmad said:

Bit harsh on Holtby. He has scored 3 goals and got a couple of assists while Tony keeps playing him in different positions 

Very harsh on Holtby,.I like him we need to see more of him and perhaps another option than just Armstrong to aim for. . Still.one has to agree ToMo has not fared well spending our money.  Perhaps one could even suggest he has spent better but mis used what he bought.  Like buying a clothes dryer and trying to cook dinner in it.

16 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

The gallagher bashing is a bit ridiculous imo, not many young lads join a team and start banging them in first season. What I see is a determination to work hard and learn. Has he paid off the 5 mill fee - not yet, but I think he will. He dropped down in level and wage to get game time, he isn’t content on sitting on a bench. Is he the finished article- no. Is he a natural finisher- no. But if he was he wouldn’t be here. What I would like to see is for him to be taught to get into scoring positions, when to make runs etc, I think that’s what he lacks. At times he is trying to do too much himself by dropping back. But that’s what the criticism of Rhodes was- all he done was finish, we can’t have it all. I have seen him score some cracking goals, I’m convinced he will come good, I ask for a bit of patience with him. Brereton is a different kettle of fish I’m afraid.....

Gallagher bashing? The discussion has been about where he has been sometimes playing, very ineffectively, and where Mowbray has suggested that he is being shown videos and analysis to try and further him as a winger, a position he has shown no signs of potential in.

Id suggest its pretty naive to expect a 24 year old to massively increase his ability to be able to sniff out chances. Hes not a natural goalscorer, he doesnt anticipate like a Rhodes, like a Dack or like a Graham. Working hard doesnt compensate for lack of goals which is what a striker will primarily be judged on and his tally so far is with the worst strikers in the league.

Id much rather have someone who can "only" score goals, even assuming that the implication is true (it isnt) that Gallagher has everything but that in his game and Rhodes can only do that.

You mention the price, when theres a natural goalscorer who does get goals at this level going for 4m then you have to ask questions.

56 minutes ago, Mercer said:

If a player is worth £3million in the eyes of his existing club then you aint got a snowball's chance in hell of landing him with a derisory offer.  IMO, it's 'window dressing' for the fans and, sadly, many fans buy it thinking we are active in the market. 

Depends what we valued the players at always. Think some clubs put these valuation on players. I think Peterborough want 9 or 10 million pounds for Ivan Toney who hasn't done any higher than league 1. 

57 minutes ago, Mercer said:

IMO, we need a number 9 with a physical presence and Armstrong doesn't fit the bill.  I am far conviced by Armstrong - a speed merchant but, IMO, technically poor with a limited football brain.

I think playing with physical presence doesn't help at times as Opposition can push higher up. Armstrong playing gives us what we lacked up front for a while Pace and movement. 

58 minutes ago, Mercer said:

My thoughts - we might get one or two cheap loans in or a very low cash signing but there will be at least three out the door including at least one 'big beast'.

I don't us selling any of key players in this window. I see Samuel, Smallwood and possible Mulgrew

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Gallagher bashing? The discussion has been about where he has been sometimes playing, very ineffectively, and where Mowbray has suggested that he is being shown videos and analysis to try and further him as a winger, a position he has shown no signs of potential in.

Id suggest its pretty naive to expect a 24 year old to massively increase his ability to be able to sniff out chances. Hes not a natural goalscorer, he doesnt anticipate like a Rhodes, like a Dack or like a Graham. Working hard doesnt compensate for lack of goals which is what a striker will primarily be judged on and his tally so far is with the worst strikers in the league.

Id much rather have someone who can "only" score goals, even assuming that the implication is true (it isnt) that Gallagher has everything but that in his game and Rhodes can only do that.

You mention the price, when theres a natural goalscorer who does get goals at this level going for 4m then you have to ask questions.

You were criticising him, and pretty much writing him off already. Your saying strikers can’t learn and progress which is ridiculous. And yea not every striker is for scoring barrell loads of goals, it’s about how effective they are for the team. Also in his defence is that he is hardly getting great service from out wide 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Ya,but he also played Conway, Bennett , Chapman, Downing there and I am sure I am forgetting others. Antonnsson and Armstrong certainly did the job there too. I don't think Gallagher should be there,but he did have a few decent games there and in fairness to the lad he works his bollox off.

I think he gets a very hard time here, particularly from yourself. You actually go as far as pretty much denying knowledge of the fact he scored 12 goals here first time around and repeatedly state that he can't score. 

He played Bennett and Conway there as "defensive wingers" which was another strange Mowbray fad that didnt result in an attacking threat. Chapman has started one league game under Mowbray. Downing is a good player but one who we need even more in 2 other positions so cannot play him wide.

No, I try not to recreate history that his goal tally even in that season was anything other than average, 1 goal every 4 games, and that was the highlight of his career. His overall Championship goal record is appalling. He gets a hard time from me because he statistically is one of the worst strikers in the division and does not merit a starting berth in our team.  

The fact that he works hard does not set him apart, the team in general tries its best but it doesnt in any way excuse him from not scoring enough goals. Its not even like when someone like Graham has a dry spell but still provides a focal point because he doesnt do that either.

I dont recall him having decent games out wide. He has played plenty of games (and played poorly) central but this wide forward experiment needs to be stopped immediately and I blame Mowbray solely for persisting with that.