BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

4 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Prob best all round if a few others take this advice. Seems as though the answer to every question on every thread at the moment is how bad Mowbray is, what a waste of money Gally and Brereton are and how we don’t have a pot to piss in...so repetitive in fact that I’d be expecting bans for “inflammatory behaviour” if I hadn’t seen who continually ‘like’ them...??

Sure, but you appreciate that goes both ways though, right?

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bluebruce said:

As a neutral, I need to tell you it's because you're almost always unable to provide him with a convincing counter argument. You repeat yourself because you don't have a better argument to offer even though your first wasn't convincing. You keep saying things like 'I already told you I think'. He knows what you told him you think, he's a smart guy. He's trying to tell you, you might well think it but your argument doesn't stack up because x, y or z. If you dont have anything new to reply with, I'd recommend you don't reply instead of repeating yourself to all of us.

Hope that helps. I'm not trying to have a go, just telling you how it comes across.

Thanks for putting this nicely and clearly. This is my frustration too. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

We really must have a crap budget if we are struggling to get anyone in. 

there must be some bargains going on the released or free transfer list

Ah, but the real question is, who has actually moved anywhere in the Championship so far in this window. I don't see any team tearing up trees to sign a whole new squad. It is what it is as far as the Rovers are concerned: We may bring someone in, which would be good (we hope), or we might not (which wouldn't be the end of the world, as we've seen what can be done if things go well for us). So, let's wait and see what develops, or not.. Que sera, sera.

giphy.gif

Just now, WIR Second Coming said:

Ah, but the real question is, who has actually moved anywhere in the Championship so far in this window. I don't see any team tearing up trees to sign a whole new squad. It is what it is as far as the Rovers are concerned: We may bring someone in, which would be good (we hope), or we might not (which wouldn't be the end of the world, as we've seen what can be done if things go well for us). So, let's wait and see what develops, or not.. Que sera, sera.

giphy.gif

You need to warn certain folk as to your flashing light!

We had a minimal budget in the summer. It was pretty much loans and frees - Tosin, Downing, Johnson, Walton, Cunningham  - other than the exceptional funding allowance made for Project B Gallagher because someone fancied another punt on a buy on the basis it would reap big dividends after the Brereton one the previous summer.

Now granted - some of those signings have been good uns - Tosin, Downing, Cunningham until he got injured - and wages will not have been insignificant - but lets not make out like we've spent big or built on these guys. Come the summer most of them won't be here and those that are will be in the twilight of their careers. It's about as far away from the Brentford model as you can get - despite Mowbray referring to them as a template.

It is also worth bearing in mind that Cunningham was only done at the 11th hour presumably when the financial requirements were more favourable or when we finally found space in the budget by offloading Mulgrew for 6 months.

Money is virtually non-existent for transfer fees - as it was in the summer. The Gallagher and Brereton ones are special cases where someone chucked the cash in on the basis they were projects likely to pay off with interest in years to come. I don't believe that money could or would ever have materialised for other positions, or for several smaller purchases.

Mowbray and Waggott get their budget in May for the year and there it is. The only way we will see incomings in January is by shuffling around on the wage bill by offloading a couple for a few months or if we get lucky and manage to sell someone.

This talk about European targets, Polish wingers for £3 million, Venkys ready to invest but constrained by evil FFP rules is just fantasy land stuff. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Prob best all round if a few others take this advice. Seems as though the answer to every question on every thread at the moment is how bad Mowbray is, what a waste of money Gally and Brereton are and how we don’t have a pot to piss in...so repetitive in fact that I’d be expecting bans for “inflammatory behaviour” if I hadn’t seen who continually ‘like’ them...??

As with Chaddy above, just because you don't agree with any of the above assertions doesn't necessarily make them wrong. Let alone "inflammatory behaviour".

I'd be more inclined towards the view that they went without saying and continually disagreeing with them was merely attempting to get a rise out of people.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

blimey, Keep going back to the Brereton fee argument. I did admit the other week that I got it wrong. Its a shame that sadly some people are very petty and use this as a stick to beat certain posters with. 

Linked Grabban to Rovers? don't think so. His wages are too high for us. Maybe check things before you posted it. 

I rather we spend the money on keeper and defence departments which we need to this summer. Need at least 2 keepers and 4 to 5 defenders in this summer

You actually put the blame on Brereton for this fiasco, you said you were "disappointed" by his performances! Not quite the same is it? No blame attached to Mowbray who is presumably disappointed too! Not his fault though!

We would have all wished TM had bought 2 keepers ( or at least bought one and kept one) and a new defence months ago!  All the same problems this Board identified then are even more pressing now but we have no money because TM wasted it.

But you have full confidence in him, you no longer want him replaced?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JHRover said:

We had a minimal budget in the summer. It was pretty much loans and frees - Tosin, Downing, Johnson, Walton, Cunningham  - other than the exceptional funding allowance made for Project B Gallagher because someone fancied another punt on a buy on the basis it would reap big dividends after the Brereton one the previous summer.

Now granted - some of those signings have been good uns - Tosin, Downing, Cunningham until he got injured - and wages will not have been insignificant - but lets not make out like we've spent big or built on these guys. Come the summer most of them won't be here and those that are will be in the twilight of their careers. It's about as far away from the Brentford model as you can get - despite Mowbray referring to them as a template.

It is also worth bearing in mind that Cunningham was only done at the 11th hour presumably when the financial requirements were more favourable or when we finally found space in the budget by offloading Mulgrew for 6 months.

Money is virtually non-existent for transfer fees - as it was in the summer. The Gallagher and Brereton ones are special cases where someone chucked the cash in on the basis they were projects likely to pay off with interest in years to come. I don't believe that money could or would ever have materialised for other positions, or for several smaller purchases.

Mowbray and Waggott get their budget in May for the year and there it is. The only way we will see incomings in January is by shuffling around on the wage bill by offloading a couple for a few months or if we get lucky and manage to sell someone.

This talk about European targets, Polish wingers for £3 million, Venkys ready to invest but constrained by evil FFP rules is just fantasy land stuff. 

My take on things too. 

12 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Downing and Johnson will not have come cheap,million pound loan fee for tosin if reports are true,I'd imagine we are paying some of his 25 grand a week wage that he is on at City.Holtby would have got a significant signing on fee for him to join us and we paid out 5 million for Gallagher.

We did spend in the summer.Johnson was on good money at Derby with another year left he didn't sign for peanuts and neither did Downing.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, JHRover said:

Not sure I entirely agree with that  we've had no money in the last two January windows because TM has completely wasted the majority of the budgets in the two previous summer windows and the areas that originally needed strengthening still need it.

I don't actually think the budgets he's had to work with have been bad. Other than the two obvious flops he's wasted transfer fees, wages and loan fees at various points on the likes of Whittingham, Palmer, Davenport, and Chapman who have barely ever played if at all.

We're not Manchester City and spending 7m or  5m on a player isn't an insignificant amount to be sniffed at. Then there's the use of the funds on the cheaper  players as well and if all of the budget had been used a lot more judiciously, things might look very different.

3 hours ago, Tugayisgod said:

The recruitment of a European scout is an appointment which will hopefully pay dividends for years to come, not one transfer window. 

Its overdue! Way overdue. Obvious the the Club has been run on a shoe-string ever since Venkys arrived.How many players who didn't cost £7M have we missed?

2 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

So you'd rather have a striker that scores 5 goals a season than a 20 goal a year man? Come off it Chaddy. You're only saying that because we haven't got a reasonably prolific scorer other than Dack and you're sticking up for the bloke Mowbray actually signed. If Mowbray unearthed such a player on the cheap you'd be the first to pipe up about what a masterstroke it was and how it was just the thing we'd been missing.

For what it's worth I agree with Rovers fan 99 on Gallagher. I was dead against his return in the first place and what I've seen since hasn't altered my opinion. I cant see anything in him at all  let alone at £5m.

I keep saying that there is a player in there somewhere. But playing him wide has destroyed any chance of seeing progression this season He needs to recover!

Can TM ever bring out the best in him? I really doubt it.

10 minutes ago, islander200 said:

Downing and Johnson will not have come cheap,million pound loan fee for tosin if reports are true,I'd imagine we are paying some of his 25 grand a week wage that he is on at City.Holtby would have got a significant signing on fee for him to join us and we paid out 5 million for Gallagher.

We did spend in the summer.Johnson was on good money at Derby with another year left he didn't sign for peanuts and neither did Downing.

Agree.

Johnson has been another massively disappointing signing for me.

• Like 5

It’s like a repeating Groundhog Day! No one knows on here whether we have money to spend or not, no one knows of bids other than the supposed media links and no one knows of any plans inside the club right this minute.

Wait and see if anything happens, if not we pee with the todger we have??

• Like 3

11 hours ago, unleaded said:

Josh Laurent was immense ... well worth it as he’s free in summer ... 

Probably end up being snapped up by Brentford!!  

Nice to see you back on here, one of the only posters I’ve seen in my time on this messageboard who’s transfer info is half decent. Save yourself for the summer mate because this month is a write off ??

30 minutes ago, islander200 said:

I think there's a difference between spending and paying wages/signing on fees. I accept that the likes of Johnson and Downing won't be cheap, but they cost little/nothing to bring in.

It has always been an issue under Venkys for us to cough up lump sum transfer fees. Never had an issue with sanctioning decent wages on loans and frees.

If we've paid City £1 million to borrow Tosin for 12 months then i think that is ridiculous and out of order. We will have eaten up a large chunk of our budget to borrow someone else's player and let him develop for a year. If we have or had £1 million for a CB it should have gone on a cash buy on a 3-4 year deal to build upon moving forward.

Derby were glad to let Johnson go. I doubt they'd have asked for much (if anything) for us to take him off their hands. Wages probably considerable but at the same time we've given him 2 years to Derby's 1 so probably undercut them that way.

• Like 1