BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

39 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Not sure I entirely agree with that  we've had no money in the last two January windows because TM has completely wasted the majority of the budgets in the two previous summer windows and the areas that originally needed strengthening still need it.

I don't actually think the budgets he's had to work with have been bad. Other than the two obvious flops he's wasted transfer fees, wages and loan fees at various points on the likes of Whittingham, Palmer, Davenport, and Chapman who have barely ever played if at all.

We're not Manchester City and spending 7m or  5m on a player isn't an insignificant amount to be sniffed at. Then there's the use of the funds on the cheaper  players as well and if all of the budget had been used a lot more judiciously, things might look very different.

I don't think that £12 million would have ever materialised for other buys or other positions.

Someone in India has it in their head that these young British CFs are worthy of a large lump sum investment. I don't believe that this money was available for other areas or targets and if Mowbray hadn't signed those players I very much doubt the money would have been seen again.

It is beyond belief that we've shelled out that level of cash on those two players and meanwhile the rest of our team consists predominantly of frees, loans and low cost signings, particularly the defence and GK positions which have been neglected for years.

Then there's the signings like Davenport and Hart - even more odd.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I don't think that £12 million would have ever materialised for other buys or other positions.

Someone in India has it in their head that these young British CFs are worthy of a large lump sum investment. I don't believe that this money was available for other areas or targets and if Mowbray hadn't signed those players I very much doubt the money would have been seen again.

It is beyond belief that we've shelled out that level of cash on those two players and meanwhile the rest of our team consists predominantly of frees, loans and low cost signings, particularly the defence and GK positions which have been neglected for years.

Then there's the signings like Davenport and Hart - even more odd.

Then why where we having bids of 4 million for Luke Freeman last summer,and didn't we agree a fee for Celina only for him to get a better offer from Swansea?

Mowbray has had a hard on for Gallagher since his loan spell,he spent all last summer chasing him and when he didn't get him panicked into buying Brererton for 7 million.

He has had a very very decent budget since we got promoted and he hasn't had to sell any player.He wasn't bothered about Raya leaving.

They backed him and he could have spent the money a lot more wisely.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Prob best all round if a few others take this advice. Seems as though the answer to every question on every thread at the moment is how bad Mowbray is, what a waste of money Gally and Brereton are and how we don’t have a pot to piss in...so repetitive in fact that I’d be expecting bans for “inflammatory behaviour” if I hadn’t seen who continually ‘like’ them...??

My rule of thumb is to ignore any posts that include the words “Chaddy”, “Tombola” and “£12 million” which miraculously results in a daily reading burden of 8-10 generally interesting posts.

Back to transfers, Mowbray’s approach of giving out overly-generous contracts and allowing said lucky players to decide for themselves if they stay or go is an abdication of the term “management”.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Scotland1 said:

Scott Hogan 

Birmingham only contributing 20 to the 46 k wages stoke are paying apparently. Interesting

Still would make him our highest earner when he’s done nothing for years. I’d rather let Brereton play. 

6 hours ago, Vilesinner said:

Anyone think this GK could be good for us? Watched Sunderland Vs Doncaster Rovers and thought he looked very good:

Hmmm. A shot stopper, but what is he like on coming for crosses, and what is his distribution like? Does he talk to his defence? Does he read the game, or simply react?

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Miker said:

How many clubs have actually had a net spend on transfers this season? There appear to only be a handful of clubs and we’re one of them. 

Yet we need as many players now as we did at the start of the season! Worst summer recruitment since Coyle.:(

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JHRover said:

We had a minimal budget in the summer. It was pretty much loans and frees - Tosin, Downing, Johnson, Walton, Cunningham  - other than the exceptional funding allowance made for Project B Gallagher because someone fancied another punt on a buy on the basis it would reap big dividends after the Brereton one the previous summer.

Now granted - some of those signings have been good uns - Tosin, Downing, Cunningham until he got injured - and wages will not have been insignificant - but lets not make out like we've spent big or built on these guys. Come the summer most of them won't be here and those that are will be in the twilight of their careers. It's about as far away from the Brentford model as you can get - despite Mowbray referring to them as a template.

It is also worth bearing in mind that Cunningham was only done at the 11th hour presumably when the financial requirements were more favourable or when we finally found space in the budget by offloading Mulgrew for 6 months.

Money is virtually non-existent for transfer fees - as it was in the summer. The Gallagher and Brereton ones are special cases where someone chucked the cash in on the basis they were projects likely to pay off with interest in years to come. I don't believe that money could or would ever have materialised for other positions, or for several smaller purchases.

Mowbray and Waggott get their budget in May for the year and there it is. The only way we will see incomings in January is by shuffling around on the wage bill by offloading a couple for a few months or if we get lucky and manage to sell someone.

This talk about European targets, Polish wingers for £3 million, Venkys ready to invest but constrained by evil FFP rules is just fantasy land stuff. 

Didn’t we also bid for Reed? (Albeit an unrealistic low bid) and another keeper in addition to Walton?

I think a bit more money was there, no loads but some.

16 minutes ago, 47er said:

Yet we need as many players now as we did at the start of the season! Worst summer recruitment since Coyle.:(

We need more since selling Raya. This summer is going to be a nightmare, with the need for 2 GK, RB, LBx2, CBx2

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 47er said:

and it will only get worse this summer when we have to replace loan players, ageing players, players out of contract and players who simply aren't good enough.  If Mowbray is still here, and God forbid, I think it will just give him another ready made excuse for 'stability' - 'you can't have so many new players in the building and expect them to gel'.

I think it underlines our player recruitment strategy has been simply shambolic under Mowbray.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Mercer said:

and it will only get worse this summer when we have to replace loan players, ageing players, players out of contract and players who simply aren't good enough.  If Mowbray is still here, and God forbid, I think it will just give him another ready made excuse for 'stability' - 'you can't have so many new players in the building and expect them to gel'.

I think it underlines our player recruitment strategy has been simply shambolic under Mowbray.

We have a good crop of youth players knocking on the door, so I don't see any big crisis coming. With that said I do think our promotion aspirations will dwindle for each season that passes by, and we're actually in a very good position to be pushing for a play-off place this season. Mowbray should recognise the same, and needs to make a couple of big calls this window.

Really looking forward to tonight's game.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mercer said:

We needed 3-5 last summer and we will need the same next. 

So much hyperbole on here. People have completely lost the run of themselves with their criticism of Mowbray. It's gone from objective to nit picking ,exaggeration and even lies. 

The comparisons to Coyle and even Kean. Madness. Absolute madness. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 7

2 hours ago, WIR Second Coming said:

Hmmm. A shot stopper, but what is he like on coming for crosses, and what is his distribution like? Does he talk to his defence? Does he read the game, or simply react?

From what I've heard dealing with crosses is his biggest strength. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We needed 3-5 last summer and we will need the same next. 

So much hyperbole on here. People have completely lost the run of themselves with their criticism of Mowbray. It's gone from objective to nit picking ,exaggeration and even lies. 

The comparisons to Coyle and even Kean. Madness. Absolute madness. 

Goalkeeper to replace Walton. Sub goalkeeper. Right back competition. Centre back to replace Tosin. One or even 2 left backs. 2 wingers and 1 striker.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Goalkeeper to replace Walton. Sub goalkeeper. Right back competition. Centre back to replace Tosin. One or even 2 left backs. 2 wingers and 1 striker.

Experience Keeper. Number 2 keeper(possibly Hilton from under 23's), right back, 2 centre back, 2 left back, 1 winger and 1 striker. So 9 signings in the summer. Maybe less if we got 1 or 2 of those signings this window

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Torgeir said:

We have a good crop of youth players knocking on the door, so I don't see any big crisis coming. With that said I do think our promotion aspirations will dwindle for each season that passes by, and we're actually in a very good position to be pushing for a play-off place this season. Mowbray should recognise the same, and needs to make a couple of big calls this window.

Really looking forward to tonight's game.

Hooray to both. Couldn't agree more. JRC has scope to be bigger for us than Travis, Lewis Thompson was starting ahead of Sam Hart as left-back too in the 23's, Vale and Brennan both good young prospects. 

And the game tonight is one we genuinely have a good chance of winning, Arma in great form, Holtby on the back of a brace, Tosin and Lenihan looking as comfortable as ever. Might actually enjoy this one ;) 

17 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Hooray to both. Couldn't agree more. JRC has scope to be bigger for us than Travis, Lewis Thompson was starting ahead of Sam Hart as left-back too in the 23's, Vale and Brennan both good young prospects. 

And the game tonight is one we genuinely have a good chance of winning, Arma in great form, Holtby on the back of a brace, Tosin and Lenihan looking as comfortable as ever. Might actually enjoy this one ;) 

I look at a lot of Championship teams and see how they happily throw the young stars into their first team. I would be more than happy to see JRC and Thompson playing weekly. 

I have a good feeling about tonight and with Wells not playing too, I think we'll win 3-1. 

Edited by Wegerleswiggle
  • Like 1