BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

42 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Goalkeeper to replace Walton. Sub goalkeeper. Right back competition. Centre back to replace Tosin. One or even 2 left backs. 2 wingers and 1 striker.

GK, centre half, left back, striker, winger. As I said, 3-5. 

Chapman for the wing

Wharton back as CB competition

JRC as right back competition

Hilton for sub keeper 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel

34 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Experience Keeper. Number 2 keeper(possibly Hilton from under 23's), right back, 2 centre back, 2 left back, 1 winger and 1 striker. So 9 signings in the summer. Maybe less if we got 1 or 2 of those signings this window

9 signings?? Jesus Chaddy you are going to regret that one ? 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Experience Keeper. Number 2 keeper(possibly Hilton from under 23's), right back, 2 centre back, 2 left back, 1 winger and 1 striker. So 9 signings in the summer. Maybe less if we got 1 or 2 of those signings this window

3 years as manager, getting on for £20 Million spent on players and even one of Mowbray's biggest backers thinks we are 9 players short. Damning.

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

The guy's been here 3 years and we need a new team ? What can I say ?

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

I look at a lot of Championship teams and see how they happily throw the young stars into their first team. I would be more than happy to see JRC and Thompson playing weekly. 

I have a good feeling about tonight and with Wells not playing too, I think we'll win 3-1. 

That Eze E is one to watch out for though. 16 goal contributions this season (10 goals, 6 assists).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We needed 3-5 last summer and we will need the same next. 

So much hyperbole on here. People have completely lost the run of themselves with their criticism of Mowbray. It's gone from objective to nit picking ,exaggeration and even lies. 

The comparisons to Coyle and even Kean. Madness. Absolute madness. 

Not sure I agree on the lower range of the spectrum for this one BDS. And 5+ is a fair whack of talent to have to replace before any other unenforced changes occur. 

Last season we needed a successor to Graham, a potential upgrade on Bereton, an upgrade on Mulgrew, another centre back, a left back, and a defensive mid at the minimum. 

Firstly we need the same again. Not sure where the 3 a manageable number comes from other than PR spin. We've 3 loans to replace before we start looking at old age catching up with our players! No way is it a very reasonable 3 which is hyperbole in itself. 

Secondly the fact we may need the same this year - bar Gally being an upgrade on Bereton - shows we have done the sum total of nothing of note in the transfer window this season. It shows we have wasted a whole year. 

Thirdly you could argue it is worse because we need a keeper as well after a year of having a substandard keeper with no long game in it for us either. 

Fourthly there's the quality as well as quantity issue. Graham has been our best striker for years and he needs replacing. Similarly Tosin is a first choice centre back and we all know how vital a good, or even decent, keeper is. This isn't tinkering with the squad but core positions. Likewise we haven't replaced Mulgrew's much needed goals. Quality wise as well as numbers it's half the spine of the team that needs replacing. 

I really rate your posts and opinions but think you've missed the mark on this one. When we came up I expressed caution that 2 of our best 3 players - Graham and Mulgrew were getting on and their huge influence would need replacing. We're heading into the summer 2 years later with neither of them having a viable succession plan. So yeah in terms of quantity and quality transfer wise we've a hell of a job before us. 

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

3 years as manager, getting on for £20 Million spent on players and even one of Mowbray's biggest backers thinks we are 9 players short. Damning.

And throw into the mix that at 11 pm on Friday he will have had six transfer windows. I remember lots of pro Mowbray posts with a theme of giving him four transfer windows. 

After six windows and many millions spent I think we are marginally better than when he came. And unlike a couple of his predecessors he hasn't had to sell any players to generate income to spend.

• Like 8

Just now, Blue blood said:

Not sure I agree on the lower range of the spectrum for this one BDS. And 5+ is a fair whack of talent to have to replace before any other unenforced changes occur. 

Last season we needed a successor to Graham, a potential upgrade on Bereton, an upgrade on Mulgrew, another centre back, a left back, and a defensive mid at the minimum. 

Firstly we need the same again. Not sure where the 3 a manageable number comes from other than PR spin. We've 3 loans to replace before we start looking at old age catching up with our players! No way is it a very reasonable 3 which is hyperbole in itself. 

Secondly the fact we may need the same this year - bar Gally being an upgrade on Bereton - shows we have done the sum total of nothing of note in the transfer window this season. It shows we have wasted a whole year. 

Thirdly you could argue it is worse because we need a keeper as well after a year of having a substandard keeper with no long game in it for us either. 

Fourthly there's the quality as well as quantity issue. Graham has been our best striker for years and he needs replacing. Similarly Tosin is a first choice centre back and we all know how vital a good, or even decent, keeper is. This isn't tinkering with the squad but core positions. Likewise we haven't replaced Mulgrew's much needed goals. Quality wise as well as numbers it's half the spine of the team that needs replacing. 

I really rate your posts and opinions but think you've missed the mark on this one. When we came up I expressed caution that 2 of our best 3 players - Graham and Mulgrew were getting on and their huge influence would need replacing. We're heading into the summer 2 years later with neither of them having a viable succession plan. So yeah in terms of quantity and quality transfer wise we've a hell of a job before us. 

It's a conservative estimate to be fair and I am also hoping that some of the fringe players push on like Davenport, Chapman, JRC and Wharton, Brereton and Gallagher even.

We certainly need a much better window than we have had in the last couple of years. As you say, quality is key. 

When I say 3-5 I mean permanents, with 2-3 loans. It's not unachievable, but as I say, going to need to be better planned than previously. I would actually love to see us sign a few players early doors. For example get Curtis in, show a bit of intent. 

The big question then is where will we be at financially to make any of this happen. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Mowbray was supposed to be gradually building a promotion squad over a few seasons. 3 seasons on and we need 9 signings.

That is failure.

• Like 5

32 minutes ago, arbitro said:

And throw into the mix that at 11 pm on Friday he will have had six transfer windows. I remember lots of pro Mowbray posts with a theme of giving him four transfer windows. 

After six windows and many millions spent I think we are marginally better than when he came. And unlike a couple of his predecessors he hasn't had to sell any players to generate income to spend.

With respect, I think this is way off the mark. Appearances aplenty for the likes of Greer, Feeney, Akpan, Guthrie, Ward and Lowe. All of those would need an injury crisis to get near the squad now. Even the sprinkling of inconsistent talent we had up front weren't actually our players! Harsh to hold the fact that he's not had to sell anyone (yet) against him when we've only just got to the point that we've got anyone who would fetch any money!

I can't argue that he's brought in a lot of players, some of them have not been goof signings and that we need significant recruitment to be where we need to be. All I'd say is that:

i) some of the suggestions that we need up to 9 new players in addition to the current squad is, I think, completely over the top. We win tonight then we're 3 points off the team currently in 6th. We don't need a new squad. 

ii) Many of the players brought in were to get us of L1 at the first time of asking, which they did, and to get us up to speed in the Championship. A club like ours shouldn't be satisfied by treading water in the second division, but if we want to shop for players to get us promoted, we're looking for a different standard of player we were 18 months ago. 

To illustrate, TM got loads of stick on here last year for being to loyal to players who did the job in L1. Now that he wants to push on like we all do, he's being criticised for needing to bring in too many players. He's made mistakes in the transfer market but some of the criticism is just unreasonable in my opinion. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

With respect, I think this is way off the mark. Appearances aplenty for the likes of Greer, Feeney, Akpan, Guthrie, Ward and Lowe. All of those would need an injury crisis to get near the squad now. Even the sprinkling of inconsistent talent we had up front weren't actually our players! Harsh to hold the fact that he's not had to sell anyone (yet) against him when we've only just got to the point that we've got anyone who would fetch any money!

I can't argue that he's brought in a lot of players, some of them have not been goof signings and that we need significant recruitment to be where we need to be. All I'd say is that:

i) some of the suggestions that we need up to 9 new players in addition to the current squad is, I think, completely over the top. We win tonight then we're 3 points off the team currently in 6th. We don't need a new squad. 

ii) Many of the players brought in were to get us of L1 at the first time of asking, which they did, and to get us up to speed in the Championship. A club like ours shouldn't be satisfied by treading water in the second division, but if we want to shop for players to get us promoted, we're looking for a different standard of player we were 18 months ago. 

To illustrate, TM got loads of stick on here last year for being to loyal to players who did the job in L1. Now that he wants to push on like we all do, he's being criticised for needing to bring in too many players. He's made mistakes in the transfer market but some of the criticism is just unreasonable in my opinion. 

Excellent analysis that is based on the facts.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

I should have been clear. I was referring to our league position now (or at the end of his sixth window).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, arbitro said:

I should have been clear. I was referring to our league position now (or at the end of his sixth window).

Understood. (I was also unfair quoting your post when in reality I was speaking to many posts on the last page or so, don't want to seem like I was digging you out specifically!). 

1 hour ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

9 signings?? Jesus Chaddy you are going to regret that one ? 

Rankin Costello is a winger. Forget playing at right back. 

We need 2 keepers. Maybe Hilton.could be 1. 

We need a back up right. 2 new centre backs with Tosin loan end and Mulgrew will probably go. 2 left back need. Maybe Thompson could set up I dont know but still need a 1st choice. 

So thats 5 needed already. Maybe 7 if Hilton and Thompson cant  

Then a winger and Striker. 

We could sign maybe 1 or 2 signings this window leaving us 5 to 7 signings need in summer

• Like 1

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

We need a back up right. 2 new centre backs with Tosin loan end and Mulgrew will probably go. 2 left back need. Maybe Thompson could set up I dont know but still need a 1st choice. 

We could sign maybe 1 or 2 signings this window leaving us 5 to 7 signings need in summer

The reason why Mowbray has to go

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Understood. (I was also unfair quoting your post when in reality I was speaking to many posts on the last page or so, don't want to seem like I was digging you out specifically!). 

I didn't take it personally. Underpinning all of this debate is the reality that Mowbray will still be our manager come the start of next season.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

That doesn't make sense! He got loads of stick last year for the reasons you suggest.

Now he's getting loads of additional stick because his transfer record is terrible.

He's thrown away £7M on one player for a start! And we face a crisis at the end of the season because of the age of some players and the fact we have so many loans.

The criticism is totally appropriate.

Edited by 47er
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Ya, we aren't signing 9 players between this window and next summer. Sorry to be the one baring the bad news! 

Just now, arbitro said:

I didn't take it personally. Underpinning all of this debate is the reality that Mowbray will still be our manager come the start of next season.

And the debates will be just the same come next Jan.

Common denominator is in Pune but also has a middleman over here.

1 minute ago, 47er said:

That doesn't make sense! He got loads of stick last year for the reasons you suggest.

Now he's getting loads of additional stick because his transfer record is terrible.

He's thrown away £7M on one player for a start! And we face a crisis at the end of the season because of the age of some players and the fact we have so many loans.

The criticism is totally appropriate.

So many loans, really?

The Brereton signing is the man albatross around his neck and might be the one that will eventually really come back to bite him in the ass. That £6 million could have signed the 2 best players in League 1.