BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

Just now, gumboots said:

Yes but were shopping in very different markets. Finding a very top class player of the type Man U need is very different from finding players who will improve us a bit

Not sure about that, look at Liverpools signings. United could have afforded pretty much any player Liverpool have signed under Klopp and would have had a realistic chance of signing them. Their scouting has been poor. Us on the other hand, have a small budget and are competing with pretty much every club in this division, along with those in the Premier league. Very few clubs can compete with united financially. 

27 minutes ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

To illustrate, TM got loads of stick on here last year for being to loyal to players who did the job in L1. Now that he wants to push on like we all do, he's being criticised for needing to bring in too many players. He's made mistakes in the transfer market but some of the criticism is just unreasonable in my opinion. 

With respect what you say there makes no sense and completely contradicts the overall point you're trying to make.

Yes he has (rightly imo) been criticised for being too loyal to the players who were here when he arrived and that is one of the main reasons we now need in the eyes of many to bring in so many players. It's all part of the same thing.

Instead of gradual improvement to the team by attempting to  bring in two or three experienced first teamers every window he seems to have taken the view that the priority was not upsetting the existing players and any recruitment has tended to centre around fringe players, loans, or "ones for the future" who can be put to one side and forgotten about.

Leaving us, imo, in a colossal mess going forward with FFP sanctions also looming.

• Like 4

If you think that our “Tone” is the only manager to make some odd decisions, this stream is worth a read. There are odd decisions and gambles all over our League. Some work, some don’t. https://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Football/Championship

Most if you, probably all of you have more experience of watching Brereton than I do. I am probably the only person who believes that there is a footballer in there waiting to gain his confidence. Something that a run of games, like Armstrong, will hopefully cure. 
As I mentioned before, my Forest mate loved watching him play. I just hope we haven’t sucked the lifeblood out of him before he begins to show his potential. 

• Like 3

• Backroom
56 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

https://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/premier-league/11919821/spb-ole-on-transfers-ooyala-tues-mxf

Solskjaer saying it's hard to make transfers in January. The manager of one of the worlds richest clubs. Yet Mowbray gets criticized for suggesting the same here.  

Imagine if you go on redcafe or whatever
United forum they will be be critical of that too.

However we are Rovers fans, a team in need of some improvements so of course we are going to discuss the lack of movement on that front 

3 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

With respect what you say there makes no sense and completely contradicts the overall point you're trying to make.

Yes he has (rightly imo) been criticised for being too loyal to the players who were here when he arrived and that is one of the main reasons we now need in the eyes of many to bring in so many players. It's all part of the same thing.

Instead of gradual improvement to the team by attempting to  bring in two or three experienced first teamers every window he seems to have taken the view that the priority was not upsetting the existing players and any recruitment has tended to centre around fringe players, loans, or "ones for the future" who can be put to one side and forgotten about.

Leaving us, imo, in a colossal mess going forward with FFP sanctions also looming.

Spot on.

His main preference is squad type players and then as the squad gets bigger he seems to feel he has to rotate or make 3/4 changes per game. All that was going on often before the injuries deepened. On the back of that you get multiple system changes etc and all that added together hinders the development and gelling of a best first 11 that can achieve some consistence on the pitch.

2 minutes ago, bigbrandjohn said:

If you think that our “Tone” is the only manager to make some odd decisions, this stream is worth a read. There are odd decisions and gambles all over our League. Some work, some don’t. https://www.newsnow.co.uk/h/Sport/Football/Championship

Most if you, probably all of you have more experience of watching Brereton than I do. I am probably the only person who believes that there is a footballer in there waiting to gain his confidence. Something that a run of games, like Armstrong, will hopefully cure. 
As I mentioned before, my Forest mate loved watching him play. I just hope we haven’t sucked the lifeblood out of him before he begins to show his potential. 

He needs game is what most believe is his best position, centre forward but so does Gallagher. He's not even had a run of games where Mowbray seems to see him, right sided.....because he signed Gallagher.

3 minutes ago, Tom said:

Imagine if you go on redcafe or whatever
United forum they will be be critical of that too.

However we are Rovers fans, a team in need of some improvements so of course we are going to discuss the lack of movement on that front 

I know, I am just saying there needs to be perspective. We aren't as badly off as you would think from reading on here.

6 points from the play-offs with a game in hand. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

6 points off the play-offs with a game in hand

People need to get a grip and have some perspective. 

That is a temporary situation based on our current League position following a rare win and one which might have completely changed in two or three games time.  To look at the League position in isolation and not the overall situation imo iis  head burying in the sand of the highest order. 

I personally dont think there is a cat in hell's chance that we'll make the play offs now or iindeed n any other season under this manager and I think it is highly likely we'll finish a lot further away from them this season than we are now.

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating I suppose.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, bigbrandjohn said:

I agree with you.

I think under another manager there might just be a player in Brereton.

Gallagher on the other hand I don't think will ever be any good. He's 24 and is not likely to get any better, in fact he seems to be on the decline from the fairly ordinary standard he set last time he was here.

5 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

That is a temporary situation based on our current League position following a rare win and one which might have completely changed in two or three games time.  To look at the League position in isolation and not the overall situation imo iis  head burying in the sand of the highest order. 

I personally dont think there is a cat in hell's chance that we'll make the play offs now or iindeed n any other season under this manager and I think it is highly likely we'll finish a lot further away from them this season than we are now.

The overall situation is that steady improvement is being made - as evidenced by our league position.

Just now, RevidgeBlue said:

We have won more games than we have lost this season, so what do you mean by rare? Of course it could change, but it could also change for the better. We aren't too far off the pace and there are no world beaters in this division. I think the "overall situation" isn't as disastrous as some on here are making out. We are doing fine. The proof of the pudding will indeed be in the next 18 games. 1-2 signings would be a big help. If we don't get them in, well then questions need to be asked. If we do, well we are in with an outside chance. I think we will come top 10. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

That Eze E is one to watch out for though. 16 goal contributions this season (10 goals, 6 assists).

Great player, just at a stats level he's the best player in the league for so many key metrics.

• Moderation Lead
11 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I know, I am just saying there needs to be perspective. We aren't as badly off as you would think from reading on here.

6 points from the play-offs with a game in hand. 

Every time we’ve gotten near to the play offs though, we’ve bricked it and ended up further away. Not to mention the fact that our best player is out for ages.

I’d absolutely love to be proven wrong, but history tells us that we won’t make the top 6...

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

We needed 3-5 last summer and we will need the same next. 

So much hyperbole on here. People have completely lost the run of themselves with their criticism of Mowbray. It's gone from objective to nit picking ,exaggeration and even lies. 

Does the fact that window after window flies by and we still need reinforcement in the same positions we always did not tell you something?

I would take exactly the opposite stance to you, I dont think the criticism of Mowbray has been anywhere near strong enough to date, he's tended to get pretty much a free ride due to the fact he brought us back up to the division from which he failed to prevent us being relegated at the first time of asking and his nice guy persona.

I think that has changed slightly with the injury to Dack which has put his other dealings in perspective and brought home the potential ramifications of money being squandered and FFP sanctions looming on the horizon

• Like 3

Just now, K-Hod said:

Every time we’ve gotten near to the play offs though, we’ve bricked it and ended up further away. Not to mention the fact that our best player is out for ages.

I’d absolutely love to be proven wrong, but history tells us that we won’t make the top 6...

Jesus don't I know. It's like an invisible force-field/barrier. Is it something legitimately psychological or is it just that we are unlucky or not good enough? I don't know to be honest. 

8 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Great player, just at a stats level he's the best player in the league for so many key metrics.

Agreed, he would be an ideal replacement for Dack. Unfortunately, his value would have skyrocketed this season and last. 

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Does the fact that window after window flies by and we still need reinforcement in the same positions we always did not tell you something?

I would take exactly the opposite stance to you, I dont think the criticism of Mowbray has been anywhere near strong enough to date, he's tended to get pretty much a free ride due to the fact he brought us back up to the division from which he failed to prevent us being relegated at the first time of asking and his nice guy persona.

I think that has changed slightly with the injury to Dack which has put his other dealings in perspective and brought home the potential ramifications of money being squandered and FFP sanctions looming on the horizon

As a few have pointed out in the past there are grounds for believing that under the present owners the manager - whoever it is - faces some constraints as to what positions transfer fees can be applied to so it is not a great surprise if we need reinforcements in the same positions.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I think the threat of FFP sanctions are being over stated on here and now used as gospel. I wouldn't say we are under any immanent threat. No doubt our recruitment needs to get better and not signing players early in windows is annoying, but we certainly aren't unique in that regard. For all the negativity and criticism of his transfers, both Downing and Tosin have improved us this season. Of course those who want to find an angle to criticize say that Tosin is a loan and Downing 35. I have no doubt if both played for PNE, people would be asking why didn't Mowbray sign them. We were unlucky with Cunningham too, another excellent signing. 

Mowbray certainly doesn't get an easy ride on here. I don't see how you can claim that he does. 

Edited by Bigdoggsteel
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

Jesus don't I know. It's like an invisible force-field/barrier. Is it something legitimately psychological or is it just that we are unlucky or not good enough? I don't know to be honest. 

I feel like its the latter. At our best, we end up 3 or 4 points away, at worst quite a bit away. We never occasionally break into the top 6 and fall back out ie are genuinely in and around as a contender. I dont necessarily think theres a psychological block, we are just a bit away.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

I feel like its the latter. At our best, we end up 3 or 4 points away, at worst quite a bit away. We never occasionally break into the top 6 and fall back out ie are genuinely in and around as a contender. I dont necessarily think theres a psychological block, we are just a bit away.

I'm not sure because we can beat anyone on our day (and lose in the same fashion) , so I mean we could be 3 points off at some point and conceivabley have a winnable game. I am pretty sure teams have gotten into the play-offs at the last minute having not been there all season before that. 

15 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

The overall situation is that steady improvement is being made - as evidenced by our league position.

What evidence is that?

We finished 15th last season and are only one win or 3 points ahead of that mark this far.

If we were to lose the next three and we dropped to 16th would that be conclusive proof we were heading in the wrong direction?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

What evidence is that?

We finished 15th last season and are only one win or 3 points ahead of that mark this far.

If we were to lose the next three and we dropped to 16th would that be conclusive proof we were heading in the wrong direction?

Do you want conclusive proof? 

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

What evidence is that?

I'm looking at the facts not what if's. Your mind is made up on everything - the team,managers, individual players - with very little attention to what actually happens.

• Like 2