BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

2 hours ago, bluebruce said:

What an odd thing to say. Did you think I was pretending that was an actual quote? I didn't 'make it up to suit my opinion', I made it up as a bit of a joke and to add emphasis. The entire thing was opinion, I thought that was a bit bleeding obvious to be honest. I'm amazed I've had to explain any of this.

Sorry brucieboy I thought it was an actual quote. 

Thought you was telling an actual story to have a dig at the manager. My bad. 

I'm glad it was just made up to add emphasis to something that didn't happen.

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

'''We're just looking to add some depth.......we're Not looking to replace anyone in our team".

And that ladies and gentlemen is why imo Mowbray needs to be replaced yesterday and why we would never challenge if he was here for a hundred years. He has no interest whatsoever in trying to improve.

Condemned out of his own mouth. How can any owner or Chief Executive read that and think he is the right man for the job?

And as a side note for God's sake don't admit in public you're a poor negotiator, I think we've all sussed that out after three, soon to be four, fairly disastrous transfer windows anyway but by saying that you're just throwing out an open invitation for people to try and mess you about in future.

Ironcally I don't think the problem is what Mowbray thinks it is. I don't think there's anything wrong with having a valuation and sticking to it, there's no skill in just going back time after time until you end up paying the original asking price, the skill is in assessing what you think the other side will accept and pitching your offer slightly lowerbut close enough to tempt them into doing a deal. Our problem seems to be we have no realistic idea of what players are worth in the current market, put completely unrealistic offers in at the start of each window then wonder why no-one is getting back to us.

And then panic and either miss out or overpay for someone else altogether at the last minute. 

TBH I think the comment wS tongue in cheek if you read the context. Some of the best negotiators deliberately give the impression they are not very good negotiators. 

Truth is everyone in our league and much of the premier league is looking for the same thing. A player with enormous potential for a bargain basement price in a very competitive window. 

some of the prices clubs have played for players who have been complete flops is extraordinary. Look no further than Man United or West Ham to name a couple. 

Thete is no magic formula. Even the big money merchants with skilled negotiators screw up. 

I will take just outside the play off places with maybe a loan defender for cover to see us through the season. 

We can’t bring players in because of FFP but if we could can anyone trust Tonebola not to squander it. By his own admission he’s a poor negotiator and for every success like Dack there’s a Bell, nuttall, wittingham, leutwiler, gladwin, chapman, Johnson, Walton, Gallagher and Brereton. 

Stuck between the devil and the deep blue sea. 

5 hours ago, Wegerleswiggle said:

If we can get Smallwood, Samuel and Chapman sold/loaned out tomorrow I imagine there'll be a couple of incomings. Have a feeling there might be a really pleasant surprise for some people. 

Have the same feeling ?

3 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

'''We're just looking to add some depth.......we're Not looking to replace anyone in our team".

And that ladies and gentlemen is why imo Mowbray needs to be replaced yesterday and why we would never challenge if he was here for a hundred years. He has no interest whatsoever in trying to improve.

Condemned out of his own mouth. How can any owner or Chief Executive read that and think he is the right man for the job?

And as a side note for God's sake don't admit in public you're a poor negotiator, I think we've all sussed that out after three, soon to be four, fairly disastrous transfer windows anyway but by saying that you're just throwing out an open invitation for people to try and mess you about in future.

Ironcally I don't think the problem is what Mowbray thinks it is. I don't think there's anything wrong with having a valuation and sticking to it, there's no skill in just going back time after time until you end up paying the original asking price, the skill is in assessing what you think the other side will accept and pitching your offer slightly lowerbut close enough to tempt them into doing a deal. Our problem seems to be we have no realistic idea of what players are worth in the current market, put completely unrealistic offers in at the start of each window then wonder why no-one is getting back to us.

And then panic and either miss out or overpay for someone else altogether at the last minute. 

Left back aside, and the Gallagher wing experiment though who in the first team would you be replacing right now? Even then I'd rather JRC get a fair crack and to a lesser extent even Chapman than some short term loanee. Yes there's Walton too at some point but I think we're better scouring Europe from now till the summer for a proper replacement there.

After that you're looking at squad players or depth for injuries because, imo anyway the team that started the last few games is capable of the goal we're wishing to achieve. Ain't nobody loaning us players as back up or it completely defeats the point of a loan.

All the above does mean we're walking an injury tightrope big time though obviously so it's far from ideal! There must be a decent left back out there somewhere that can slot straight in, no idea whom mind.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

The guy is utterly untouchable. He knows it, we all know it.

And apathy and excuses reign again: “let’s see what happens in January“ has quickly turned into “but we’ll breach FFP rules” while Mowbray tells us all how difficult he finds this recruitment lark.

By the time Mowbray finally goes this team will need to completely start again. “We just need to get in a couple of players to help the lads” is the anthem of mediocrity.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Stuart said:

The guy is utterly untouchable. He knows it, we all know it.

And apathy and excuses reign again: “let’s see what happens in January“ has quickly turned into “but we’ll breach FFP rules” while Mowbray tells us all how difficult he finds this recruitment lark.

By the time Mowbray finally goes this team will need to completely start again. “We just need to get in a couple of players to help the lads” is the anthem of mediocrity.

Revisit targets in summer is the latest mantra in he telegraph.  None of us saw that coming...

When a club of our history, stature and apparent 'financial backing' can't afford the better players from league one, you know we're going nowhere in the transfer market.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

It just seems a waste of everyone's.time so I'm thinking is he attached to mowbrays agent or something.? Two moves in a year, might be a nice earner.

Brereton and Chapman are both with the same agency and both signed last January. Makes you think.

• Like 1

Bloody fan negativity making the team go on a miserable run whenever we get near the top 6.

Bloody fan negativity spending £12m on Brereton and Gallagher.

Anyway, never understand how fans who want the club and team to be the best they possibly can - so who are looking upwards and wanting positive things for the club - are labelled as negative. 

*This post was replying to a now deleted post!

Edited by frosty
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

Jhc we are sitting in 10th spot in the league we are a win away from the top 6 with this apparently shit squad! Yet plenty still lambast the club, the players and the manager! It’s unfuckingbelievable some of the tripe trashed out!

This is BRFC 2020: We are doing ok, despite the poor run earlier, despite the good run earlier and despite not having a multimillionaire squad taking to the pitch each game and despite the injury to Dack!

I think most of us can see that at times and in parts we have a good squad. This is one of the reasons for frustration. This time last year we were well placed and confidence was high. We did nothing in January and our season unravelled.

It seems no lessons have been learned from that with virtually the exact same lack of activity and soundbites coming from the club. I wouldn't bet against a similar collapse when the inevitable injuries to our threadbare squad come during the next 4 months.

3 hours ago, matt83 said:

236 pages and our usual January transfer window can be summarised by:

18EB5CB0-C4DD-4229-B445-BC1D5C4D4ECB.gif

I reckon it would be about 30 pages less if it wasn't for all of the posts identical to this one pointing out just how long it's been, using a nice big gif to take up even more space ;) 

7 minutes ago, JHRover said:

I think most of us can see that at times and in parts we have a good squad. This is one of the reasons for frustration. This time last year we were well placed and confidence was high. We did nothing in January and our season unravelled.

It seems no lessons have been learned from that with virtually the exact same lack of activity and soundbites coming from the club. I wouldn't bet against a similar collapse when the inevitable injuries to our threadbare squad come during the next 4 months.

Spot on.

The league is poor this year. We’ve a chance to make the playoffs. A few new faces to freshen up the squad would go a long way. If you’re going to throw £15m a year at the club it makes no sense not to gamble and sign a couple of loans. LB and RW being the priority.

No lessons learnt from last year whatsoever.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

Revisit targets in summer is the latest mantra in he telegraph.  None of us saw that coming...

When a club of our history, stature and apparent 'financial backing' can't afford the better players from league one, you know we're going nowhere in the transfer market.

I have to agree, that statement is either a smoke screen or more likely a surrender for the rest of the season.

If you stand still you fall away. I don't suggest we go blowing millions again but there have definitely been deals done that we should have been looking at.

I'll reserve my full judgement until tonight.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

Spot on.

The league is poor this year. We’ve a chance to make the playoffs. A few new faces to freshen up the squad would go a long way. If you’re going to throw £15m a year at the club it makes no sense not to gamble and sign a couple of loans. LB and RW being the priority.

No lessons learnt from last year whatsoever.

Lessons learnt if all you want is about 10th....Tombola Pension pot

• Like 2

• Backroom
8 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I literally have never heard of the player having the option to cut the loan deal short before, it's usually an agreement until either Jan 1st or the end of the season binding on all parties with the parent Club having power of recall if a problem arises that can't be sorted out between the Club's.

Beyond amateurish otherwise as you can never know what your real budget for the season is if players can terminate loan deals of their own accord at the drop of a hat.

It's pretty standard in such deals, but usually redundant. Remember most loans are to the benefit of the player (be it game time, fall-out, shop window, or development) for the same wage.

LT has started a transfer day live feed. That should be a long day for Rich Sharpe commentating on paint drying. 

Chapman not going to Rotherham. Buying someone else.

Smallwood not going to Sunderland. No deal.

A couple of posters on here have their whole reputation staked on 1 possibly 2 incomings today. 

• Like 2

I'd be very disappointed if we have to endure a season of Amari'i Bell.

I was mildly excited about the prospect of a winger from Lech Poznan or Ronan Curtis but at the same time I don't want a repeat of Brereton. The deal has to be right. I can't say I know enough about Curtis to say whether or not £3m is enough, but in terms of value if we could have got Curtis and Maddison for £5.5m then they must not be fancied because why wouldn't you? Both of them stink of goals and assists, fill positions we need filling and cost the same as Gallagher.

I don't think Mowbray's transfers are as bad as people think. Attacking wise we are improved under him but we should point out his defence when he started was Steele, Lenihan, Nyambe, Williams and Mulgrew. It wasn't good enough then and the defence still isn't good enough now. Our midfield and attack I believe to be amongst the top 10 in the league, top 6 with Dack firing on all cylinders, but our back line simply hasn't improved in depth or quality.

If Nyambe and Lenihan get injured our season is effectively over baring a worldy season from the youth. More than likely Williams and Bennett to cover though and quite simply they aren't good enough. The reluctance to sign defenders is a Venkys problem however and not a Mowbray one.

• Like 2

Che Adams is supposedly available on loan from Southampton. 100% worth a punt.

James Chester going to Stoke. Would have been a good loan signing to provide cover for the remainder of the season.

Cardiff signed Brad Smith yesterday on loan. He's a good little left back and gives us more than Bell.

These are the type of transfers we should be seeing at Rovers. They are the type of loans that give your team an extra bit of firepower and see teams mount promotion pushes....or in Stoke's case survive

Also if Sheff Wed sign Wickham then it just goes to show just what FFP means to owners who care to navigate the system.

Edited by Dreams of 1995

10 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

LT has started a transfer day live feed. That should be a long day for Rich Sharpe commentating on paint drying. 

Chapman not going to Rotherham. Buying someone else.

Smallwood not going to Sunderland. No deal.

A couple of posters on here have their whole reputation staked on 1 possibly 2 incomings today. 

"Plans change" was a Nicko favourite wasn't it?

To be fair bbrovers228 has got a few correct in the past and obviously has some decent info from somewhere.

Not sure where that Dave guy has come from, I actually thought it was bbrovers228 at first when he started going on about how he had to change his username, we'll see if his info comes off or not today I suppose.

1 minute ago, MarkBRFC said:

"Plans change" was a Nicko favourite wasn't it?

To be fair bbrovers228 has got a few correct in the past and obviously has some decent info from somewhere.

Not sure where that Dave guy has come from, I actually thought it was bbrovers228 at first when he started going on about how he had to change his username, we'll see if his info comes off or not today I suppose.

I haven’t changed anyone’s username.
The two posters are 100% not the same person.