BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

• Backroom
13 minutes ago, Dave574 said:

Smallwood: Said no to a league one club early last week and was aiming for Sunderland who have shown interest a long time. A lot of people, including myself tought he turned them down today but it was actually Sunderland who suddently backed out of the deal. Why, I don't know.

Chapman: Was offered to a bunch of League one and two teams. League two couldn't afford wages and two League one clubs took the bate. BUT in a back-up role and Chapman then decided to stay.

Brereton: 4 (!) Clubs, none of them English, showed interest in a loan deal, nothing happened and don't know why.

Mulgrew: Seattle Sounders was more than interested as soon as he came back but couldn't match the wages. Mulgrew wanted Rovers to pay him the difference - Rovers said no. 

Smallwood - Sunderland obviously feel they have better options, and if they get promoted will probably be looking for better than Smallwood long-term. Probably figure they can wait until the summer when he's on a free to decide whether he's still worth a punt.

Chapman - the fact even League 1 teams only want him as backup is obviously not a good sign. Although if he had confidence in his abilities you'd think he'd take the chance and believe he could force his way into the first team for some regular playing time.

Brereton - should have been loaned out, can't understand why he's still here. 

Mulgrew - if we're planning to use him then fair enough, if not then surely any of his significant wages off the books would have been worthwhile. Can only assume we think we can do a better deal in the summer when he'll be available to play for anyone, but his wages will be a stumbling block no matter what - plus six months older and likely having barely played during that time.

5 minutes ago, DE. said:

Problem is mate we really needed some signings with Dack, Rothwell and Evans all being out for a while, not to mention the rebuilding job that's unquestionably going to be needed in the summer. I don't really care what other clubs are doing, I just know that we needed reinforcements and for the second January in a row we didn't get it. We're a Lenihan injury away from huge problems at the back alone, never mind how thin on the ground we are across the rest of the pitch.

We really have to hope some of the youngsters can step up, as I think we're going to need them now. 

I imagine message boards up and down the country have a similar tone.

Yep we're walking an injury tightrope alright and we've had such rotten luck in that front this season I hope it stops.

More than happy for the youngsters to step in if required.

They may as well scrap this January window it's a complete waste of time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, simongarnerisgod said:

tend to pick my matches these days,mainly because football has gone to the dogs and i don`t get the buzz much anymore,the game is`nt for the working man these days,deffo don`t enjoy football like i used to

Agree with that. Still have an interest, but away days, home games under the floodlights, match of the day, all the things that used to make football great, they just dont interest me as much. Cricket overtaken football for me now, followed by rugby, football comes 3rd.

10 minutes ago, Dave574 said:

Some say I bullshit some actually belive me. Now that only a huge surprise will see any incomings ive been given a explaination by my contact. The information wasn't wrong, things just change sometimes. First of all he was 100% right about Lamptey and the developement there in yesterdays posts (the story broke today) and earlier today I gave a explaination about the Atsu-case and a few hours later it broke on the LT.

What happened today? Many of these things I first got too know now, so don't shoot the messenger.

First of all, like it or not, no matter what Tony have said about funds, Rovers was 100% sure they would get rid of some players, so they could balance both number of players and wages.

Smallwood: Said no to a league one club early last week and was aiming for Sunderland who have shown interest a long time. A lot of people, including myself tought he turned them down today but it was actually Sunderland who suddently backed out of the deal. Why, I don't know.

Chapman: Was offered to a bunch of League one and two teams. League two couldn't afford wages and two League one clubs took the bate. BUT in a back-up role and Chapman then decided to stay.

Brereton: 4 (!) Clubs, none of them English, showed interest in a loan deal, nothing happened and don't know why.

Mulgrew: Seattle Sounders was more than interested as soon as he came back but couldn't match the wages. Mulgrew wanted Rovers to pay him the difference - Rovers said no. 

Incomings:

Lamptey: Was done deal, just some fees about reaching certain numbers of games. Negotiated for 2 weeks until Brighton came up with a insane bid.

Atsu: Was of a while ago when Newcastle played hard to get and wanted full payment of wages. When other clubs said no, just like us, Rovers revisited the deal today but offered to pay the exact same as the bid the last time(!?).

Matty Longstaff: We actually made a bid, Newcastle turned it down, said no chance. Tried to loan and negoiated but even the loan-fee ended up being too high.

Just how serious are they in moving these guys out though that's the thing. Just look at who and how many have been moved out in the past when we wanted rid, mostly under GB i think.

If the manager of Chief Exec tells you to go or they'll foist you onto any club they can you go if you have interest. Here at Ewood these lot are sitting back cherry picking were they want to go safe in the knowledge they are still on a good screw here if not.

Now hark back to the managers words in summer, not good enough not only is it holding us back in improving it's pushing us further towards FFP problems.

Far too cosy casual and relaxed down there, no urgency for sod all this lot. NOT the way to kick on at all.

• Like 3

Looks like we are suffering because Mowbray gives contract extensions as rewards for what players have done in the past, rather than because they will be of further use.

Smallwood, Bennett, Williams and Mulgrew were great getting us out of league 1. But they are holding us back now by clogging up the squad and wage bill.

Mowbray may call it loyalty, but it is a ridiculous way to run a modern football club. I had a guy who fitted a kitchen for me last year, he did a good job but when he was finished I paid him what I owed him and he went away. Mowbray would have paid for him to stay in the house for 6 months in case one of the taps leaked. 

• Like 4

I’m confused as to how people who think Mowbray is a clown who will never get us promoted can be incensed he didn’t buy any players....

Of more interest to me is that on-one left. Our fringe players are not good enough for lesser teams and/or overpaid, our “stars” such as Lenihan/Travis are not attractive to bigger teams, and no-one dislikes Mowbray’s style enough to want to leave.

2 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

I’m confused as to how people who think Mowbray is a clown who will never get us promoted can be incensed he didn’t buy any players....

I've no idea why that confuses you.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Dave574 said:

Some say I bullshit some actually belive me. Now that only a huge surprise will see any incomings ive been given a explaination by my contact. The information wasn't wrong, things just change sometimes. First of all he was 100% right about Lamptey and the developement there in yesterdays posts (the story broke today) and earlier today I gave a explaination about the Atsu-case and a few hours later it broke on the LT.

What happened today? Many of these things I first got too know now, so don't shoot the messenger.

First of all, like it or not, no matter what Tony have said about funds, Rovers was 100% sure they would get rid of some players, so they could balance both number of players and wages.

Incomings:

Lamptey: Was done deal, just some fees about reaching certain numbers of games. Negotiated for 2 weeks until Brighton came up with a insane bid.

Atsu: Was of a while ago when Newcastle played hard to get and wanted full payment of wages. When other clubs said no, just like us, Rovers revisited the deal today but offered to pay the exact same as the bid the last time(!?).

Matty Longstaff: We actually made a bid, Newcastle turned it down, said no chance. Tried to loan and negoiated but even the loan-fee ended up being too high.

Might as well have bid for Messi, Ronaldo and Griezmann 

End result the same - no players and no improvement.

• Like 3

Never underestimate Mr Mowbray. He sounds like a clown and he has become a poor manager and recruiter over the years. Got a last chance saloon - Venky Rovers. Owners not interested and thousands of miles away. Bring in my mate from Coventry. Okay we all know that. Now we have the worst Div 2 ever. Even Forest might go up. Oh shit. If we invest we might go up. I like this luxury I have and Mr Waggott agrees with me. We'll tell Pune in the summer things are fine at Ewood. Phew! Tossers 

• Like 5

Interesting debate however we are where we are and have to finish the season with the current squad.

Of course we are disappointed that we haven’t added some quality (not depth) as that is what we need given the shortcomings in certain positions.

it’s fairly obvious however that we would have had to spend megabucks to buy the quality players that would guarantee a promotion push and this window is not the time for such a squad rebuild. 

Im expecting the season to fizzle out with a comfortable mid table finish in which case I hope the younger players get their chances. 

Just now, Exiled in Toronto said:

If he’ll never get us promoted it doesn’t matter who he buys. 

Why not? It's not as if he is going to be fired. We have the manager we have, and we need to sign players under him as there are glaring weaknesses in our squad depth and even some of our first choices. That needs resolving. Incompetence is no excuse for inactivity. He could always strike lucky even if it was true he didn't have a clue what he was doing.

This failure adds fuel to the fire which you seem to think we should just contentedly watch burn.

I just don’t really understand how we are ever going to get promoted if we never kick on - exact same position as last year and making exact same mistakes. Yes ok we made some bids and they didn’t get accepted- that can happen- but why did we wait so bloody long to find out. Absolute amateur hour. If I wasn’t done with mowbray before- I was- then I’m 200% done now. Happy to just bob along mid table. Get out 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, 1864roverite said:

13 mins to go then close this bloody thread

Or you could just not come back in if you don't want to read it, and let others discuss the outcome and repercussions of the window if you no longer have interest. Zero reason to close it yet.

Just now, Bbrovers2288 said:

I just don’t really understand how we are ever going to get promoted if we never kick on - exact same position as last year and making exact same mistakes. Yes ok we made some bids and they didn’t get accepted- that can happen- but why did we wait so bloody long to find out. Absolute amateur hour. If I wasn’t done with mowbray before- I was- then I’m 200% done now. Happy to just bob along mid table. Get out 

It’s a good job we didnt have a load of people ITK on here telling everyone we were going to sign players otherwise people might be a bit miffed..... oh wait....

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Exiled in Toronto said:

If he’ll never get us promoted it doesn’t matter who he buys. 

I think you're being argumentative for the sake of it there.

I'd have sacked him long ago and if it was my money wouldn't give him a bean.

However as it appears that the owners seem happy with the job he's doing, his job appears relatively secure and the owners don't seem overly concerned either that he has wasted millions of pounds of their money, it stands to reason that a poor manager with superior players will fare better than a poor manager with worse players!

• Like 1