BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

Mowbray and Venus should be nowhere near any transfer negotiations. They should just be showing a list of players they like and let the people higher up the chain to get the deals done. We have wasted the whole month and ended up failing to complete a loan signing on the last day of the window.  Score 0/10 <_<

I would like to see Mowbray and Venus gone by the summer. 

My thoughts exactly.. Let's use this opportunity to blood some of our own youngsters..

On 16/01/2020 at 20:35, chaddyrovers said:

why is the depressing article about the possible of playing more of academy players like Rankin Costello and Buckley instead of bringing in PL youngsters like we did with Palmer who wasn't good enough or what we needed? 

Mowbray is right not to be overpaying for players who aren't worth what clubs want fee wise like Marcus Maddison who is out of contract in the summer but they want 2.5 million 

They must be money for players so we can be putting bids, we aren't going to putting bids in for players if we have no money are we? 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, J*B said:

Clearly, close enough that we can’t bring in without letting go. Every penny is accounted for due to either big transfer fees (Brereton and Gallagher) or high wages on players not wanted (Mulgrew, Smallwood). 

We lose a lot of wage commitments in summer - Walton, Tosin, Bell, Mulgrew, Smallwood. That will give us some room to flex, but not one of the players leaving shows any return which is really what we need. While it does release some budget, no club has a ‘transfer budget’ like in Football Manager, they work to a ‘players’ budget which will cover transfer fees, agent fees, new contracts, signing on fees, wages - it doesn’t provide any transfer excess for FFP.

We will be judged over our first three year cycle, 18/19, 19/20, 20/21. As it stands we have spent circa 16M in that period (not accounting for any fees over the summer) and brought in circa 4M through sales. That’s +12m going into year three. 
The owners will give their maximum financial input, but I don’t see how we buy for any substantial amount of money without selling someone. Hopefully United buy King in summer for 50m as I believe we have a 15% kick back in his next move. 

We must have spent more than that because ffp allows losses upto £39m over 3yrs which would mean we have a £27m limit moving into 20/21 season? If so, then there’s an opportunity to go big in the summer, right?

• Like 2

• Moderation Lead
1 hour ago, Tugay-is-God said:

Boy, overreactions galore on here. 

We got a decent team, we got a decent manager, and we've got a decent chance of getting the playoffs this year. 

What's there so much to cry about?

Because we spent £12 Million on two strikers that get played out of position or don’t get in the team. 

This and giving out contracts to players that don’t contribute any more has meant that we can’t buy any new players.

When we get near the play offs, typically, we bottle it.

Haven’t you been paying attention?

Edited by K-Hod
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, Tugay-is-God said:

Boy, overreactions galore on here. 

We got a decent team, we got a decent manager, and we've got a decent chance of getting the playoffs this year. 

What's there so much to cry about?

At best we’ve got an average team, an average manager and absolutely no chance of getting in the playoffs.

If the combination of this shambolic window and injuries leads to JRC emerging as a regular like Travis then that’s a silver lining. No journeymen brought in the block his progress.

I’d say Buckley too, but he needs to be out on loan himself. Like BB, 5/10 minutes  every few weeks does nobody any favours.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Boroblue said:

Why do people endless down play us like we are some little minnow trying hard to get by. We are more successful club historically than most if not all of the clubs in this league. I’m not going to go through a list because facts are facts. I will not downgrade my expectations. Will he take us up no but not for the reasons you give but because of a total lack of ambition. 

We are top of the current form league which suggests we can compete but that had to be built on but again like last season the opportunity will pass us by. 

Let me just repeat this we are not a small shit club lucky to be sat at the same table has the big boys we are equal if not better and pretending differently does not excuse management.

But what is factually inaccurate about my post. Look at the attendances and the finances. We operate on a lower mid-table Championship budget, attract one of the lowest crowds and have cheap tickets. Am I wrong? We have a glorious history but that’s the uncomfortable reality.

We did phenomenally well to have the success we enjoyed in the prem. But to expect us to get back there quickly overlooks where we stand at the moment. It’s going to be tough. 

As you say, we’re top of the form table and fighting for promotion. Yet most fans on here want to sack the manager because we’re not walking the league. As I put it before, a reality check is needed.

• Like 2

For those who care:

KV Kortrijk (Belgium) was the club closest to get Brereton. Came with a bid, but Rovers had no intensions to tell (don't know how much but far far from what we paid, so fair enough). They was still heavy into a loan and was willing to pay wages in full. Rovers on board aswell. (Don't know if Brereton was)

But late in the window KV went in and got a permanent deal for a Pape Gueye from Aalesund in Norway instead. 

Edited by Dave574
  • Like 3

Just now, Dave574 said:

For those who care:

KV Kortrijk (Belgium) was the club closest to get Brereton. Came with a bid, but Rovers had no intensions to tell (don't know how much but not far far from what we paid, so fsir enough). They was still heavy into a loan and was willing to pay wages in full. Rovers on board aswell. (Don't know if Brereton was)

But late in the window KV went in and got a permanent deal for a Pape Gueye from Aalesund in Norway instead. 

Seriously, we had an opportunity to sell BB and didn't take it?? 

7 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

But what is factually inaccurate about my post. Look at the attendances and the finances. We operate on a lower mid-table Championship budget, attract one of the lowest crowds and have cheap tickets. Am I wrong? We have a glorious history but that’s the uncomfortable reality.

We did phenomenally well to have the success we enjoyed in the prem. But to expect us to get back there quickly overlooks where we stand at the moment. It’s going to be tough. 

As you say, we’re top of the form table and fighting for promotion. Yet most fans on here want to sack the manager because we’re not walking the league. As I put it before, a reality check is needed.

Once again, we don’t have cheap tickets (oh and by the way we are just below mid table for average crowds, not great, but we aren’t Accy Stanley).

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 1

The cheap ticket thing is such a lazy argument because we had them 8 years ago. They are standard for our level now, pushing up to the more expensive side.

7 minutes ago, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

We must have spent more than that because ffp allows losses upto £39m over 3yrs which would mean we have a £27m limit moving into 20/21 season? If so, then there’s an opportunity to go big in the summer, right?

I'm guessing J*B's figures exclude our annual operating losses which usually run at 10-15 m p.a.

As such we needed a manager who invests any available  funds wisely, offloads players who aren't contributing and keeps the size and balance of the squad under control.

In Mowbray we have the polar opposite.

• Like 5

Just now, magicalmortensleftpeg said:

We are top of ONE form table. For a specific amount of games - twelve games.  

Not twenty.

Not ten.

Not six.

and most importantly, not 29. Within those 29 games, we've been on two horrific runs...again.  Same as last season.  That's the issue you are looking past - a very poor quality league and poor quality manager not capable of EVER getting us in a position to get out of it. Whether that be through poor selections, poor tactics, poor signings, a lack of organisation, periods of poor fitness or lack of belief - or what my eyes tell me - a large dose of each.  

No reality check is needed.  That's how it is.

• Like 4

I never e xpected any signings unless , significant others left ....

This is down to the manager , who wasted the last two summer windows on strikers who don't strike....I accept Armstrong is doing better ...

The contract extensions to players who helped us gain promotion are now  ,screwing the club big style.... 

Nothing to do with FFP just bad management and recruitment....

Or just being down right lazy !

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I'm guessing J*B's figures exclude our annual operating losses which usually run at 10-15 m p.a.

As such we needed a manager who invests any available  funds wisely, offloads players who aren't contributing and keeps the size and balance of the squad under control.

In Mowbray we have the polar opposite.

Ok, thanks. So maybe the V’s £5m contribution each year brings those operating losses from say £12m down to £7m and so over the two seasons (18/19 & 19/20) we have lost £14m plus the £12m net that @J*B referred to which would put us on £26m over two years and bang on track.

So theoretically, with a third of our earners out of contract in the summer and should the likes of JRC, Buckley, Thompson etc break through then we should have a healthy-ish budget to trade in the operating losses plus some money (£6m) to spend on fees? As long as V’s are willing to pump in another £5m...

• Like 1

This transfer approach of Mowbray/Waggott/Venus is a work of art and will surely become the industry standard for a lot of Clubs.

1) At the start of a transfer window put in various bids for players at a fraction of the asking price.

2) Sit back and pick fluff out of your navel until just before the end of the window. Make regular press releases to elicit sympathy about how difficult the market is and how other Clubs are pricing you out. Discourage loan activity by making it plain that any potential incomings will only be coming in as squad members and not into the first team.

3) With a couple of days left before the end of the window if you've done your job properly and pitched your bids low enough and been plain enough with your press releases then you should have successfully blocked any permanent activity and ensured other Clubs won't want to loan you players. Well done! Release a few hard luck stories about alleged near misses and put your feet up until the next window then repeat.

4) If despite your best efforts above you are still getting excessive heat from either the owners or fans about lack of activity then there are 2 options:

a) In the extremely unlikely event any of your original targets are still available and haven't been snapped up by Clubs making a sensible offer, go back in and pay the original asking price for a player you could have had weeks or months earlier or more likely if they have been snapped up:

b) Vastly overpay for anyone who is left regardless of whether they suit your purpose or you've done adequate research on them. If you're not too keen on them label them as "one for the future" and promptly forget about them as soon as they arrive at the Club.

Genius.

12 hours ago, jim mk2 said:

Tough day for Chaddy. 

Rovers fail to make his 7-9 signings target and his Brexit day celebrations ruined when the cook serves up German sausages. 

Not a tough day at all Jim so despite your patronising comments as I went out for Indian and few drinks with the missus. To celebrate Brexit and for Kobe Bryant passing away(my favourite NBA player of all time). Its a shame people posted my Twitter posts as My life must be so interesting to you people. 

Never said 7 to 9 signings this window tho Jim. But talk over a season. 

13 hours ago, Mercer said:

Shajan and their chips you seem to savour?

Going in there later, buy you a pint if you are there?

Went Balti Stan in Clayton Le Moors and then My local pub Hare and hounds. 

1 hour ago, Lie_still_Rover said:

My thoughts exactly.. Let's use this opportunity to blood some of our own youngsters..

It does and no journeyman signed. 

Would like a couple in but that's life. I haven't lost sleep over it. No point signing players we don't want. 

Plus all key players are Still here. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Ok, thanks. So maybe the V’s £5m contribution each year brings those operating losses from say £12m down to £7m and so over the two seasons (18/19 & 19/20) we have lost £14m plus the £12m net that @J*B referred to which would put us on £26m over two years and bang on track.

So theoretically, with a third of our earners out of contract in the summer and should the likes of JRC, Buckley, Thompson etc break through then we should have a healthy-ish budget to trade in the operating losses plus some money (£6m) to spend on fees? As long as V’s are willing to pump in another £5m...

That would sound feasible wouldn't it, but if there is a bit of wiggle room overall it makes the failure to bring a couple of bodies in last month even more inexcusable.

4 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Not a tough day at all Jim so despite your patronising comments as I went out for Indian and few drinks with the missus. To celebrate Brexit and for Kobe Bryant passing away(my favourite NBA player of all time). Its a shame people posted my Twitter posts as My life must be so interesting to you people. 

Never said 7 to 9 signings this window tho Jim. But talk over a season. 

Went Balti Stan in Clayton Le Moors and then My local pub Hare and hounds. 

It does and no journeyman signed. 

Would like a couple in but that's life. I haven't lost sleep over it. No point signing players we don't want. 

Plus all key players are Still here. 

Surely you’re not going to try to spin this as a positive window Chadster. 

So if we don’t sign 7-9 in the summer will you criticise the manager or does your year include the next Jan window as well.

• Like 3

• Backroom
7 hours ago, JoeH said:

Lenihan, Nyambe, Travis, Dack, Holtby, Rothwell, Armstrong, Downing.

That’s literally all I’d keep for next year. Everyone else (barring youngsters who may come good like JRC) can leave in a perfect world.

Smallwood, Samuel, Evans, Bennett, Bell, Johnson, Gallagher, Graham, Chapman, Brereton, Walton, Leutwiler, Mulgrew & Williams can all get gone at the end of this season - not a single one of them are Top 6 players.

If we start with a backbone of those top players, bring in experience around them, we have a chance next year.

I think that's a touch harsh on Gallagher and Williams, and I'd be happy with Johnson and Chapman as bench options, but otherwise I agree. The players I'm highlighting are at least good enough for our bench if we can bring in players to take their 1st team spots.

8 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

That would sound feasible wouldn't it, but if there is a bit of wiggle room overall it makes the failure to bring a couple of bodies in last month even more inexcusable.

I might be wrong here but isn’t there also a rule that you cannot lose more than £13m per year (and £39m over a three year period)? If so then at £26m, there really wasn’t any wriggle room without sales and / or releasing wages via loans etc to make any signings in Jan?