BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

2 minutes ago, J*B said:

I think the next one is Feb 8th. We have some tickets if you want to go. 
I keep posting it and nobody listens but the money we have spent so far is BASED ON SELLING DACK. We don’t have that luxury now for 12 months. 

Thanks mate. Is that after the Fulham match?

2 minutes ago, J*B said:

I keep posting it and nobody listens but the money we have spent so far is BASED ON SELLING DACK. We don’t have that luxury now for 12 months. 

Dont go on Saturday pal... it's on Thursday (6th). 6pm.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Pedro said:

No they wouldn't. The 'mob' on here have been pro Nyambe, Travis, JRC, Chapman and many others- whilst Mowbray hasn't. It's a theme that has run for years on here- we are proper supporters of Rovers and would much rather blood our quality young players than persevere with shite or people out of position.

Get them played!! All of em imo!! 

I think we have very, very little to be optimistic about.

IMO, until we get a football manager who knows how to work the transfer market, can organise and get the best out of our players and is tactically astute then we are fecked.

I think Laurel and Hardy (Mowbray and Waggott) need the order of the boot asap.  This summer is going to huge and I have zero confidence that Mowbray and Waggott have the faintest idea, ability or inclination to plan and execute it successfully.  A new manager needs to take stock soonest.

1 minute ago, Mercer said:

IMO, until we get a football manager who knows how to work the transfer market, can organise and get the best out of our players and is tactically astute then we are fecked.

I think Laurel and Hardy (Mowbray and Waggott) need the order of the boot asap.  This summer is going to huge and I have zero confidence that Mowbray and Waggott have the faintest idea, ability or inclination to plan and execute it successfully.  A new manager needs to take stock soonest.

I agree but will never happen while venkyscum are here

20 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Shit happens in life. But we have a choice in how to deal with it. I’d take Chaddy’s delusional outlook on life everyday over being negative.

Fixed that for ya ?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

If a big gap develops between us and the playoffs, I agree. We need to increase the value of our young players and fringe players.  I just don't feel that Mowbray gives the freedom for exciting players to express themselves. All interviews about young players strongly criticise defending etc. 

Duff, Dunn, Jansen, Bentley etc. wouldn't stand a chance under him.

Just now, Paul Mani said:

We do need to play youngsters, maybe not all of them but sometimes I despair that we appear so slow.  This business of they have to fit into the system?  At under 23 level there are great reviews of some who have obvious talent and potential but they stay at that level.  I think the likes of Nyambe came into the team because there wasn’t an alternative at the time.  If you look at the likes of Manure they have never had any qualms about giving youngsters a go,  Mason Greenwood for example.

i think Mowbray is far too conservative in this respect.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, arbitro said:

Fans on messageboard should influence things then? Mowbray is the only person who can control this situation. Many see the youngsters as a way forward - what's your suggestion?

Actually my suggestion is the same as yours - but it is important that fans show patience with young players because there are going to days when it doesn't happen for them. Do you see some of the individuals who post on here showing patience ? I don't. If they don't get success right this minute they want the manager and everyone else OUT !!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mercer said:

Who is going to appoint this paragon of virtue ? Mrs Desai ?

3 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Actually my suggestion is the same as yours - but it is important that fans show patience with young players because there are going to days when it doesn't happen for them. Do you see some of the individuals who post on here showing patience ? I don't. If they don't get success right this minute they want the manager and everyone else OUT !!!

World full of opinions.  All young players are given headway by fans when they play for the first team. Some young ones look ready to step in straight away an impress (like Lenihan, Nyambe, Travis) I'd also add JRC and Butterworth to that list. Others, you see potential but they may not be quite there physically/tactically (Magloire, Buckley).  People commenting on loaning them out to develop, or clearly not ready yet is fair enough.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

18/19 loss was £19 million.

19/20 loss will no doubt be the same.

Thats £38 million in 2 seasons and one still to go.

Each 3 season cycle must include £20 million net transfer profits or we are basically fucked.

This financial stuff is exactly what the consultation meeting is for. Hopefully they will take the opportunity to explain the exact situation, else the questions will extract it. It is important that the whole fanbase is afforded the luxury of clear understanding of the state of our club. 

Do the 19 million losses include the £8 million put in by the owners so we're effectively losing £27 mil?

Just now, Wing Wizard Windy Miller said:

World full of opinions.  All young players are given headway by fans when they play for the first team. Some young ones look ready to step in straight away an impress (like Lenihan, Nyambe, Travis) I'd also add JRC and Butterworth to that list. Others, you see potential but they may not be quite there physically/tactically (Magloire, Buckley).  People commenting on loaning them out to develop, or clearly not ready yet is fair enough.  

Yup - that is fair enough but I have seen people on here saying of John Buckley "not a footballer " which is just not on.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Mashed Potatoes said:

Who is demanding success right this minute?

I see lots of people demanding progress into the playoffs. I see lots of people sick of seeing the same old mistakes. People criticising the selections of players out of place who are stunting the development of youth players, criticising the signing of young players - who are seemingly bought for no reason, I also see people being sick of excuses and being lied to via the press and sick of blame-shifting.

I can honestly say, other than the recent very OTT criticism of Buckley, I think people have been very patient with what has been served up.  Even regarding Gallagher, the majority don't blame him, they blame the fact he is out wide.

13 minutes ago, 4000Holes said:

We do need to play youngsters, maybe not all of them but sometimes I despair that we appear so slow.  This business of they have to fit into the system?  At under 23 level there are great reviews of some who have obvious talent and potential but they stay at that level.  I think the likes of Nyambe came into the team because there wasn’t an alternative at the time.  If you look at the likes of Manure they have never had any qualms about giving youngsters a go,  Mason Greenwood for example.

i think Mowbray is far too conservative in this respect.

I disagree. I don’t think we can have many complaints about youth integration into our first team. Raya, Nuttall, Lenihan, Nyambe and Travis have all broken in and played. The first two were sold. That’s a pretty decent rate over a three year period where we needed to get back up and then consolidate in the Championship.

I agree with your point re increasing that rate now though. I would be looking to start JRC based on form and to be playing Buckley and Thompson as well as Davenport and Chapman off the bench. Get Butterworth some minutes once fit too. Let Hilton cover Walton and evening give him a run towards the end of the season if we’re out of the top 6 running.

We need to know how many of these players are good enough as an absolute minimum. Unearth a star and we could get a big sale in the summer. Bellingham quoted at £30m. No reason a fantastic final part of the season can’t bring a chunky fee in for JRC or Buckley.

• Like 1

Just now, Mashed Potatoes said:

Yup - that is fair enough but I have seen people on here saying of John Buckley "not a footballer " which is just not on.

Anyone saying that doesn’t really understand football. Buckley is a real technician. Once he can deal with the physical side he will be right up there.

1 minute ago, Pedro said:

Who is demanding success right this minute?

I see lots of people demanding progress into the playoffs. I see lots of people sick of seeing the same old mistakes. People criticising the selections of players out of place who are stunting the development of youth players, criticising the signing of young players - who are seemingly bought for no reason, I also see people being sick of excuses and being lied to via the press and sick of blame-shifting.

I can honestly say, other than the recent very OTT criticism of Buckley, I think people have been very patient with what has been served up.  Even regarding Gallagher, the majority don't blame him, they blame the fact he is out wide.

Mate, I’m about as die hard as it gets. But honestly, I’d just get them in. How much worse can Thompson be than Bell, worst case scenario? JRC straight into the first team and Bucko, Chapman and Davenport on the bench. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Blue blood said:

Positives: 

We didn't loose any of our best players. A defence bereft of Lenihen would be scary, ditto a midfield without Travis. Not sure how we'd do without Armstrong's goals either so these chap's staying is an encouragement if nothing else. 

Perhaps our lack of incomings and injuries could lead to a second Travis situation, who got his chance due to suspensions. Perhaps JRC will go the same way... 

We actually have a 4th centre back who isn't a kid who is not good enough to go out on loan. 

That my friend, is the definition of damning with feint praise.

Not losing three players that we are now utterly dependent on, Lenihan has form for long term spells on the sideline and Travis is an injury waiting to happen at the moment.

The reliance on the youth players, who were previously dismissed as a waste of money when he could be spending it on the first team (oh the irony!), is the fall back rather than any kind of plan. I just hope that some of these players do take their chance and when they do, they aren’t dumped as soon as Mowbray’s favourites are fit again.

Not strengthening is one thing but when you lose you talisman first a year (!) and still don’t do anything about it with the time available then you know it has been a bad month. If we are still relying on Dack by the time he comes back - hopefully early next season then that’s an even bigger failure from Mowbray.

Fourth centre back? Mulgrew? Who’s third? Williams? Such a depressing position. First choice (Mowbray’s second) is only a loan.

But still, we have won two games and are “in reach” of the play-offs. Heard it all before. The same people saying we are “in reach” are the same people saying 12th would be a good finish. We are a yo-yo club: not between divisions but between the top and bottom half of the Championship.

And £150m+ in debt.

• Like 3

Just now, Paul Mani said:

Mate, I’m about as die hard as it gets. But honestly, I’d just get them in. How much worse can Thompson be than Bell, worst case scenario? JRC straight into the first team and Bucko, Chapman and Davenport on the bench. 

I can tell you are mate. I always value your opinion and I agree with a lot of what you've said over the years (not everything obviously ?)

To be honest, I'd much rather see us kick on with our own youth players than be loaning some other team's U23's.  Every transfer must be meaningful.

I liked what JRC brought to the pitch, Thompson is well worth a shot,  Buckley hasn't been given anywhere near a fair go in the right situations, Davenport is a busy little bugger and Chapman has been under-used and just needs throwing in at the deep end or moving on.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Ahh...fair enough. In that case we’re potentially over that £26m run rate and worries that we wouldn’t be able to trade freely in the summer when it is much easier.

Thanks for the info. The summer is BIG, HUGE!

Imo a lot of the recruitment depends on the progress of JRC, Buckley, Thompson, Butterworth, Hilton, Fisher etc and whether they can prove their worth to the team like Travis has. If they can then the volume of signings needed will reduce and the quality / cost increase.

Why is the Summer big or huge? You say this now but when it’s another huge disappointment you’ll be telling everyone that it doesn’t matter.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, J*B said:

So even if he had stayed fit, we’d have sold him and still replaced him with nobody. So how does that work? We now have a £15m hole in our budget - surely that should have meant two or three players leaving. Yet we keep Smallwood and allow Mulgrew to come back.

The bigger picture is that this is another area where FFP falls down. A business model on only organic growth that is based completely on luck. Luck that you don’t lose a player to serious injury and leave a hole in your finances. Meanwhile the price of players is being driven upward every season because of the PL. Much like VAR, we now have two different professional sports pretending that it the same game - with a cup competition that means they even play each other: rich against poor, with different refereeing rules depending on whether you are home or away! It’s a joke. Maybe we need two codes: football league and football union...

Football is broken and by banning another Jack Walker they’ve taken away the dreams of normal clubs. The sooner there is a breakaway franchise at the top, the better. We need one set of rules and regulations that everyone is working to. The PL concept ruined football, Venkys put Rovers on the wrong side of the divide. Mowbray and Waggott are making sure we stay there. Sod FFP, if they are so ambitious supposedly then pay the fines and take the retrospective points/embargo. Don’t dither around going nowhere because of a fear of sanctions.

• Like 3