BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

• Backroom
55 minutes ago, K-Hod said:

Question for Thursday?

I already know what the answer would be. "The owners were willing to back us but there wasn't any value in the market and we have to sign the right characters and agents and crazy wages and excuse excuse excuse..." 

• Like 5

On 31/01/2020 at 22:17, Beanie01289 said:

So if he takes us from league 1 to the prem you think hes out of his depth give yourself a shake ( and I know technically he took us down but the damage was done by Coyle before hand)

The past two seasons, if you think he's not out of his depth then you need to give "yourself a shake" fella. 

Edited by BankEnd Rover

15 hours ago, Stuart said:

I think we need to be bringing in players better than those we have.

But we need a manager prepared to do that instead of getting players worse than we have a challenging them to overtake his favourites.

Trouble is when they do, Mowbray himself will stand in their way and defend his loyal charges. The danger with bringing in inferior players is that this becomes a self-fulfilling prophesy and we end up not improving anything, as forced-fringe players come and go.

We need to constantly be upgrading. £15m should have allowed that.

I agree, but to be fair, in that 15 million you do include Armstrong, who has been an excellent signing. BB and Gallagher should have been good enough to come in, play in their positions and improve the starting 11.

The thing with little to no budget is that it's difficult to sign players who will be guaranteed improve the starting 11

2 hours ago, Bigdoggsteel said:

I agree, but to be fair, in that 15 million you do include Armstrong, who has been an excellent signing. BB and Gallagher should have been good enough to come in, play in their positions and improve the starting 11.

The thing with little to no budget is that it's difficult to sign players who will be guaranteed improve the starting 11

Armstrong's usually " excellent " for about 5 weeks a season. Let's not get carried away.  

• Like 1

I see the other Brighton loan goalkeeper, Roberto Sanchez at Rochdale, has made the team of the week for that division. I knew he was tall but I didn't release he's 6' 6". Two young Bolton players are in the team also Dennis Politic and Ethan Hamilton. Hamilton is very highly rated by Keith Hill. They are both ex Man Utd Youth. Politic is a wide player and Hamilton is central midfield. Worth a look ?

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

9 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

It's where he wants to play. When you're playing as a lone striker you need good service to thrive. If you're also a small lone striker the service has got to be excellent otherwise you just get out muscled.

Yes it is where he does want to play. 

His performance at Sheffield Wednesday shown how good he can been playing up front. His movement was quality and causes so many problems for them 1st half 

11 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If the plan was (and Mowbray has said so in the past) to move Armstrong up front, it makes the 5m Gallagher signing even more baffling. Why not spend that money on 1 or 2 wingers?

The answer is that, IMO, Mowbray makes it up as he goes along.

I struggle to see a strategy where our recruitment is concerned.

It's why, I think, we've seen square pegs in round holes for too long and too often. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If the plan was (and Mowbray has said so in the past) to move Armstrong up front, it makes the 5m Gallagher signing even more baffling. Why not spend that money on 1 or 2 wingers?

Armstrong is striker and natural finisher. He played wide cos of Dack and Graham partnership. Now with both unavailable Armstrong gone up front now and we are getting benefits of this. 

Wingers? We don't play with natural wingers anyway. Never been Mowbray's way here

Gallagher was signed to replace Graham I guess. But we are moving away from the way we played when Graham and Dack was up front..you can see this from the start of the season to now. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

25 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Armstrong is striker and natural finisher. He played wide cos of Dack and Graham partnership. Now with both unavailable Armstrong gone up front now and we are getting benefits of this. 

Wingers? We don't play with natural wingers anyway. Never been Mowbray's way here

Gallagher was signed to replace Graham I guess. But we are moving away from the way we played when Graham and Dack was up front..you can see this from the start of the season to now. 

Graham is unavailable? Gallagher was a poor signing who adds nothing. Armstrong was clearly signed to play as a number 9, and we play with a number 10, so essentially Gallagher as a result of Armstrongs change has started to be moulded into a wide man which doesnt work. Why are we trying to directly replace Graham if we are moving away from that type of player? And someone with poor technical attributes at that.

We should play with wingers, Mowbray should have long since re evaluated his use of players in the wide area. Its been a big problem area for him and just because he chooses to often shoe horn players out of position there doesnt make it right or effective. Would you agree that you personally would prefer to see natural wide men there over strikers eg Brereton, Gallagher, Samuel or central players eg Buckley and Holtby (when Dack was fit) primarily Mowbray signings who cannot do a job there?

I just find the whole situation baffling. There is some merit in trying to build around Armstrong as a 9 even if he has limitations and a lot of work to do. But there is no potential in Gallagher as a wide man.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Graham is unavailable? Gallagher was a poor signing who adds nothing. Armstrong was clearly signed to play as a number 9, and we play with a number 10, so essentially Gallagher as a result of Armstrongs change has started to be moulded into a wide man which doesnt work. Why are we trying to directly replace Graham if we are moving away from that type of player? And someone with poor technical attributes at that.

We should play with wingers, Mowbray should have long since re evaluated his use of players in the wide area. Its been a big problem area for him and just because he chooses to often shoe horn players out of position there doesnt make it right or effective. Would you agree that you personally would prefer to see natural wide men there over strikers eg Brereton, Gallagher, Samuel or central players eg Buckley and Holtby (when Dack was fit) primarily Mowbray signings who cannot do a job there?

I just find the whole situation baffling. There is some merit in trying to build around Armstrong as a 9 even if he has limitations and a lot of work to do. But there is no potential in Gallagher as a wide man.

Wait, what-you don't rate Gallagher?? Since when? I must have forgotten as you have only mentioned it 4 times today 

On 31/01/2020 at 22:17, Beanie01289 said:

So if he takes us from league 1 to the prem you think hes out of his depth give yourself a shake ( and I know technically he took us down but the damage was done by Coyle before hand)

Isn't 'if' a very big word?!?

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, m1st said:

Isn't 'if' a very big word?!?

Yeah if is a big word but I was replying to a post stating that even if he got us to the prem they would want him out.

I'm not defending Mowbray as I think he has made some curious decisions over his time here but I'd say he has been more of a positive than a negative at our club. Also god knows who we would appoint if we moved  on hes the first proper manager that venkys have appointed.

Maybe a little unfair on Bowyer but he kinda just got the job cause he was already here

Edited by Beanie01289

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I thought Gallagher was signed to replace Brererton out on the right wing.

20 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

We'll have to wait and see. We have been talking about extending into Europe ever since we got promoted from League 1 so the fact something is only just happening now isn't the best sign but we'll have to see if things improve in that respect.

Thing is Rev it could be that this boat has already sailed for us as far as European recruitment is concerned. 

I was reading an article on Brexit and in relation to how it might impact on Football & Football Clubs. The suggestion was , (admittedly still to be decided) that under 18 players couldn't come but more significantly that bringing players into the UK from Europe will be exactly as it is now with rest of the world. In other words unless you are a current /recent /recognised international you wont get a work permit.

Now far be it from me but with our transfer kitty looking fairly modest, if indeed anything at all to spend , then we wont be in for many recognised internationals.    

So it seems to me that in typical Rovers style , we have once again been far too slow off the blocks and ultimately this appointment might actually look rather stupid from a timing viewpoint.

My interpretation of an article I read , so maybe i'm wrong but it seemed reasonably clear that this would be the case. 

• Like 3

Just now, TBTF said:

Thing is Rev it could be that this boat has already sailed for us as far as European recruitment is concerned. 

I was reading an article on Brexit and in relation to how it might impact on Football & Football Clubs. The suggestion was , (admittedly still to be decided) that under 18 players couldn't come but more significantly that bringing players into the UK from Europe will be exactly as it is now with rest of the world. In other words unless you are a current /recent /recognised international you wont get a work permit.

Now far be it from me but with our transfer kitty looking fairly modest, if indeed anything at all to spend , then we wont be in for many recognised internationals.    

So it seems to me that in typical Rovers style , we have once again been far too slow off the blocks and ultimately this appointment might actually look rather stupid from a timing viewpoint.

My interpretation of an article I read , so maybe i'm wrong but it seemed reasonably clear that this would be the case. 

We could always pretend they were brain surgeons, ---- well maybe not

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Meant as a partnership Dack and Graham. 

Gallagher starts on right but plays more like inside forward. Never played as a winger. Our full backs provide the wide in our team. That's the way Mowbray plays. 

You are never going to replace Graham like for like anyway. Gallagher has to learn of him more. Before I suspect Graham moves on.

On wingers, I wouldn't mind seeing a winger on the right side if Rothwell is on the left side. Need 1 in the summer. No more. 

When Buckley or Holtby play wide then don't stay but play more inside. Allowing our full backs forward..

It perfect sense playing Armstrong up front where he can score goals(more), use his pace and movement. Leaving space behind for Rothwell and Holtby to creative. Like we did at Sheffield Wednesday away