BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

A winger that can also be played as a striker...surely that's a bit backwards for TM :)

Was a starter in the Huddersfield promotion team - so there is some pedigree there. 

Edited by JacknOry

23 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Yes and unlike McLoughlin he's already out of his deal at Red Star Belgrade, available right now for anyone who wants him.

Sounds like McLaughlin is still on his way to Rovers according to Nicko and Sunderland haven't offer a new deal yet. 

I think any rumour like this has to be taken with a huge pinch of salt, even before considering the current situation, its seemingly an agent trying to drum up interest.

In terms of the player himself, he ticks a few boxes, a fast winger is something we desperately lack and hes free. But hes spent the peak years of his career playing very little football and hes incredibly frustrating and inconsistent. The type to score or assist and then do nothing at all for 7 or 8 games. One id swerve I think.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

But hes spent the peak years of his career playing very little football and hes incredibly frustrating and inconsistent. 

Hes only 28 years old. 

So his peak years are now. 

Players make the wrong decisions at times due to agent's advice and following the money. For example Rudy Gestede. Feel like Van La Parra has done the same

22 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Hes only 28 years old. 

So his peak years are now. 

Players make the wrong decisions at times due to agent's advice and following the money. For example Rudy Gestede. Feel like Van La Parra has done the same

Following the money is not necessarily a negative trait. A footballers career is short, some footballers see their career solely as a job and we are all motivated by money to some degree. Gestede made a move we all would have made in his situation, he on the back of success at Championship level joined at that time a club doing better and moved up a step.

His lack of recent football is a red flag and turning 29 soon you do question how long his primary asset of pace will last. That being said, my main analysis comes from having seen him play quite a few times at Wolves and mainly at Huddersfield. He has talent but has never shown it on a consistent basis ans is a very frustrating player.

I do think the wide positions are particularly weak at Rovers and should have been made priority this summer once the loanees had been replaced, had this been a normal summer. As it is, I suspect that this may prove very difficult considering the current situation. I dont think there will be anything in this rumour anyway if I had to guess.

Edited by roversfan99
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Following the money is not necessarily a negative trait. A footballers career is short, some footballers see their career solely as a job and we are all motivated by money to some degree. Gestede made a move we all would have made in his situation, he on the back of success at Championship level joined at that time a club doing better and moved up a step.

His lack of recent football is a red flag and turning 29 soon you do question how long his primary asset of pace will last. That being said, my main analysis comes from having seen him play quite a few times at Wolves and mainly at Huddersfield. He has talent but has never shown it on a consistent basis ans is a very frustrating player.

I do think the wide positions are particularly weak at Rovers and should have been made priority this summer once the loanees had been replaced, had this been a normal summer. As it is, I suspect that this may prove very difficult considering the current situation. I dont think there will be anything in this rumour anyway if I had to guess.

You always say that rumours anyway. 

I have mention this alot on players making the wrong decisions on loan moves when they young up and coming players or players like Gestede, Marshall and Rhodes. You have been to be very careful on selecting your next move and the club situation. When Gestede moved to Villa, they were a toxic club under poor ownership and where selecting signings on a transfer committee basis according to Sherwood's interview after his sacking. 

Yes Money is of course a massive motivated but I wouldn't want to just be training all the time and barely playing. 

Yes I would agree that he is very frustrating player from what I have watched over the years but in my opinion the type of player we need. 

For me, The priority next season recruitment is a 1st choice keeper with experience, A partner for Lenihan at centre, A left back even if Bell's contract is extend which I think Mowbray will be doing shortly, Then a winger. plus 2nd choice keeper. 

While there is still a lot to play for this season, if it goes ahead, we are most likely to be remaining in this league, which sets us up for an important transfer window. 

Personally I think this summer window is a big one for us. A lot of the experienced players we’ve relied on over the past few seasons have seeming run their course - Graham, Bennett, Mulgrew and even Evans to an extent. Who along with a bunch of fringe players who need moving on, leaves us with quite a few gaps where we need to bring in quality players who can go straight into the first team, if we are to push on to the next level. 

Our back line is clearly the point which has the most question marks, with a new goalkeeper, centre back and left back all needed. Thankfully in Lenihan and Nyambe we’ve already got 2 quality defensive players in this division, so with the right additions we could see a strong backline next season. In terms of goalkeeper, I would like to see us go for Martinez of Arsenal, who I am led to believe we were interested in signing last summer. At left back I can’t look past the free transfer of Martin Olsson (I don’t believe he’s signed anywhere else?). He’s getting on abit now but he’s still got the legs and quality for the championship, at least for a season. He also would provide an experienced head in the dressing room who has promotion and prem experience. Finally I would like to see us go abit left field with our purchase of a centre back partner for Lenihan, in Reece oxford from Ausburg. Been out of favour there this season and is rumoured to be available on the cheap with a number of championship clubs supposedly interested. Would massively help fill the void that Tosin will leave as like him oxford has a good range of passing, mainly down to him being a central midfielder until recent years.

Finding a central midfield partner for Travis will also be a important buy, though it could be quite simple in my eyes. Harrison reed I believe is out of contract at the end of season (that may be wrong) and would fit perfectly into that role. He’s a player who knows the club and would fit straight in, while his quality is well known to us rovers fans. I don’t think he has quite hit the heights at Fulham which could work in our favour. Him and travis would provide us with an all action, high energy partnership which would be perfect for the championship.

In terms of attack I actually believe we are pretty well stocked. However, with Armstrong seemingly beginning to make the striker spot his own it does leaves one of our wide spots open, with Rothwell on the other. This is where we need some natural creativity and pace, and a wildcard option could be emre mor. A extremely talented young player who has lost his way abit and is currently available on the cheap at around 4million, which is the rough figure that Brentford were apparently quoted in January. While 4million may still seem quite a lot of money, I’ve believe it would be a shrewd acquisition, with a massive potential resale value if it works out. 

this would leave us with a team looking like this 

Martinez 

nymabe Lenihan oxford olsson

reed travis

rothwell dack/Holtby (Until dack fit) mor

Armstrong

subs: fisher, Williams, Johnson, Downing, Buckley/chapman, brereton/Holtby, Gallagher 

ofc finances this summer may well dictate that even these acquisitions are out of our range, I am only going of what our rough spends have been in previous summer windows. But either way this is a key summer for us to bolster the squad with strong first team players, if we are to make a serious promotion push.

Edited by TruRover

2 hours ago, TruRover said:

While there is still a lot to play for this season, if it goes ahead, we are most likely to be remaining in this league, which sets us up for an important transfer window. 

Personally I think this summer window is a big one for us. A lot of the experienced players we’ve relied on over the past few seasons have seeming run their course - Graham, Bennett, Mulgrew and even Evans to an extent. Who along with a bunch of fringe players who need moving on, leaves us with quite a few gaps where we need to bring in quality players who can go straight into the first team, if we are to push on to the next level. 

Our back line is clearly the point which has the most question marks, with a new goalkeeper, centre back and left back all needed. Thankfully in Lenihan and Nyambe we’ve already got 2 quality defensive players in this division, so with the right additions we could see a strong backline next season. In terms of goalkeeper, I would like to see us go for Martinez of Arsenal, who I am led to believe we were interested in signing last summer. At left back I can’t look past the free transfer of Martin Olsson (I don’t believe he’s signed anywhere else?). He’s getting on abit now but he’s still got the legs and quality for the championship, at least for a season. He also would provide an experienced head in the dressing room who has promotion and prem experience. Finally I would like to see us go abit left field with our purchase of a centre back partner for Lenihan, in Reece oxford from Ausburg. Been out of favour there this season and is rumoured to be available on the cheap with a number of championship clubs supposedly interested. Would massively help fill the void that Tosin will leave as like him oxford has a good range of passing, mainly down to him being a central midfielder until recent years.

Finding a central midfield partner for Travis will also be a important buy, though it could be quite simple in my eyes. Harrison reed I believe is out of contract at the end of season (that may be wrong) and would fit perfectly into that role. He’s a player who knows the club and would fit straight in, while his quality is well known to us rovers fans. I don’t think he has quite hit the heights at Fulham which could work in our favour. Him and travis would provide us with an all action, high energy partnership which would be perfect for the championship.

In terms of attack I actually believe we are pretty well stocked. However, with Armstrong seemingly beginning to make the striker spot his own it does leaves one of our wide spots open, with Rothwell on the other. This is where we need some natural creativity and pace, and a wildcard option could be emre mor. A extremely talented young player who has lost his way abit and is currently available on the cheap at around 4million, which is the rough figure that Brentford were apparently quoted in January. While 4million may still seem quite a lot of money, I’ve believe it would be a shrewd acquisition, with a massive potential resale value if it works out. 

this would leave us with a team looking like this 

Martinez 

reed travis

rothwell dack/Holtby (Until Davis fit) mor

Armstrong

subs: fisher, Williams, Johnson, Downing, Buckley/chapman, brereton/Holtby, Gallagher 

ofc finances this summer may well dictate that even these acquisitions are out of our range, I am only going of what our rough spends have been in previous summer windows. But either way this is a key summer for us to bolster the squad with strong first team players, if we are to make a serious promotion push.

Who is Davis?

15 hours ago, TruRover said:

Martinez 

reed travis

rothwell dack/Holtby (Until dack fit) mor

Armstrong

For me personally, this team is no better than what we're rocking right now. Walton and Tosin are quite easily better options than Martinez and Oxford, based solely on the fact we know exactly what we're getting from them and new loans are always risky. Reed would be a nice addition but that's the only true change. I like Harrison but him and him alone isn't going to get us any closer to the play-offs. Olsson isn't as good as he was and I'd sooner see Greg Cunningham return.

We'd need to address other areas for me. Wide players is what we need.

Jordan Jones at Rangers is one we've been linked with, I don't mind that. Played with Mowbray and Armstrong before, and if we want Arma to be our 20 goal a season striker, he needs someone who works well with him. If we're honest, Dack and Armstrong have never had the most electric chemistry together on the pitch.

McLoughlin seems like he's coming, a solid but not exactly exciting goalkeeper by most accounts. That's bearable. Unless we address the gaping holes out wide, and somehow replace/keep Tosin, we're not going to moving forward from the 19/20 season with much vigour. 

McLoughlin

Nyambe    Lenihan    Tosin    Cunningham

Travis    Downing

Jozwiak    Dack    Jones

Armstrong

Subs: Fisher, Williams, Johnson, JRC, Rothwell, Holtby, Gallagher

Would be a nice transfer window. Jones, Jozwiak, Tosin, Cunningham, Downing (given another year), would all need sorting for this to happen. Not cheap. Tosin and Jozwiak are completely unlikely so even a side like this is pretty unattainable. Then you've got to replace some bench players like Graham, Bennett, Smallwood, Bell etc.. Nightmare of a window and completely the clubs fault for not pushing in the last transfer winodw.

On 20/05/2020 at 08:40, Ricky said:

Rangers have announced that Andy Halliday and Jon Flanagan have both been released. Flanagan looked very good when he broke through at Liverpool and he’s only 27. Wonder if he could be an option at full back for us. I don’t know a great deal about Halliday. Maybe someone with a bit more Scots football knowledge can add something. 

Halliday is a die hard ranger but woefully lacking any technical ability. L2 is his natural level.

flannagan looked okay but kept getting injured, woman beater and nephew or Bradley Orr. I’d rather stab my eyes out with a fork

41 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

I would be very surprised to see us spend a fee this summer. In fact I think it would be distasteful if the transfer window saw anything like normal spending. I dont see how it is possible even for the big teams this year.

why? 

Rovers owners have money so if other clubs don't have money then I would be investing money to get us promotion next season if we don't this season

34 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

why? 

Rovers owners have money so if other clubs don't have money then I would be investing money to get us promotion next season if we don't this season

Another reason would be P&S as the rules currently stand. With income streams severely curtailed it may be that the rules are relaxed but as it stands it presents a major obstacle for clubs intended spend on new players.

Alex Neil has suggested that clubs who furloughed staff shouldn't be allowed to sign players. From an ethical perspective I agree with him.

...and what about the clubs that had little financial choice in the matter? Of course Venkys probably wouldn't be included in that financial category but it's not like the staff are doing much so why not furlough them? The club has done absolutely zero to gain publicity in the current environment. For me it would be a good excuse to fire some of them and bring in some creative minds to shake things up.

1 hour ago, arbitro said:

Another reason would be P&S as the rules currently stand. With income streams severely curtailed it may be that the rules are relaxed but as it stands it presents a major obstacle for clubs intended spend on new players.

Alex Neil has suggested that clubs who furloughed staff shouldn't be allowed to sign players. From an ethical perspective I agree with him.

are we talking staff in non playing or playing staff? 

I have no problem with owners investing their own money into clubs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

why? 

We dont usually have a massive kitty, and surely that will have been swallowed up by reduction in income both past and ongoing, cost of testing etc.

I just personally think it would be a bit questionable if following the steps taken to complete the top couple of divisions, if the summer saw the usual spending spree splashing big money on players across the world ahead of another behind closed doors season, it wouldnt sit right.

Whatever my own personal feelings are on it, I suspect and would guess that we wont be splashing out on new signings, surely we have to cut our cloth accordingly. Naive to expect the window to pass as normal really.

1 hour ago, Scotland1 said:

Heard Rovers sniffing around Lynden Gooch from Sunderland

Not sure it is wise to be sniffing around gooch.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

We dont usually have a massive kitty, and surely that will have been swallowed up by reduction in income both past and ongoing, cost of testing etc.

No one is asking for a massive transfers kitty but a sensible budget where we can made 5 or 6 signings 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

are we talking staff in non playing or playing staff? 

I have no problem with owners investing their own money into clubs. 

I'm talking about non playing staff who have been furloughed. Why should the taxpayers fund a furlough scheme and then clubs spend on transfer fees (and all the associated costs) for new players.

Players taking ways deferrals is is different as they will get the difference paid eventually. That is funded by the club.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, JoeH said:

For me personally, this team is no better than what we're rocking right now. Walton and Tosin are quite easily better options than Martinez and Oxford, based solely on the fact we know exactly what we're getting from them and new loans are always risky. Reed would be a nice addition but that's the only true change. I like Harrison but him and him alone isn't going to get us any closer to the play-offs. Olsson isn't as good as he was and I'd sooner see Greg Cunningham return.

We'd need to address other areas for me. Wide players is what we need.

Jordan Jones at Rangers is one we've been linked with, I don't mind that. Played with Mowbray and Armstrong before, and if we want Arma to be our 20 goal a season striker, he needs someone who works well with him. If we're honest, Dack and Armstrong have never had the most electric chemistry together on the pitch.

McLoughlin seems like he's coming, a solid but not exactly exciting goalkeeper by most accounts. That's bearable. Unless we address the gaping holes out wide, and somehow replace/keep Tosin, we're not going to moving forward from the 19/20 season with much vigour. 

McLoughlin

Nyambe    Lenihan    Tosin    Cunningham

Travis    Downing

Jozwiak    Dack    Jones

Armstrong

Subs: Fisher, Williams, Johnson, JRC, Rothwell, Holtby, Gallagher

Would be a nice transfer window. Jones, Jozwiak, Tosin, Cunningham, Downing (given another year), would all need sorting for this to happen. Not cheap. Tosin and Jozwiak are completely unlikely so even a side like this is pretty unattainable. Then you've got to replace some bench players like Graham, Bennett, Smallwood, Bell etc.. Nightmare of a window and completely the clubs fault for not pushing in the last transfer winodw.

Martinez is a much better keeper than Walton. I agree on Oxford though - dont know much about him but midfielders converted to CBs rarely works and tends to point to issues such as injuries or age catching up. 

Olsson, hmmm. Not ideal long term but I doubt you could say we have better here. Even if for one season he would be better than what we have. Cunningham would be the better option longterm i agree. 

5 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I would be very surprised to see us spend a fee this summer. In fact I think it would be distasteful if the transfer window saw anything like normal spending. I dont see how it is possible even for the big teams this year.

Agree, this window (whenever it happens) will all be about frees. So many players are and will be released or have their contracts not renewed due to financial reasons. 

The good part about this is that players will be hit the hardest. They wont be able to command the wages that they did previously - at least not in the short term.

2 hours ago, arbitro said:

I'm talking about non playing staff who have been furloughed. Why should the taxpayers fund a furlough scheme and then clubs spend on transfer fees (and all the associated costs) for new players.

Players taking ways deferrals is is different as they will get the difference paid eventually. That is funded by the club.

You mean what Alex Neil is saying.

You make the same argument for companies like Nissan, Landrover, British Airways, Etc who have furlough staff. 

Do you know how many staff have been furlough at Rovers?

33 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

You mean what Alex Neil is saying.

You make the same argument for companies like Nissan, Landrover, British Airways, Etc who have furlough staff. 

Do you know how many staff have been furlough at Rovers?

I wasn't aware that any staff at Rovers have been furloughed. My point was more generalised for all of football.

The difference between the companies you mention is that they won't be spending money on transfer fees. Furlough has been a really good scheme but if football clubs  (or any businesses) abuse it they should be punished.

• Like 1

Exactly, if a club puts its staff on Furlough (claiming they cannot afford to pay them and then need the government to pay them instead) and then splashes 10 million on players next season - thats about as wrong as you can get. That is what the chairman is saying. Clubs that are still themselves paying their staff should not be at a disadvantage to those that are not. 

• Like 1