BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

3 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Could mean anything though really, former Preston player, loads of clubs in Lancs/GManchester that he could end up at. Would be delighted if we got him but the main issue is, if Bell goes, we'll be paying a "you're desperate for a left back" premium to Cardiff because they know we HAVE to fill that gap. 

Loan deal.

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

Loan deal.

I'd be surprised personally. Got a year left on his deal, they'd be looking to sell or keep otherwise they're losing him on a free.

18 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Could mean anything though really, former Preston player, loads of clubs in Lancs/GManchester that he could end up at. Would be delighted if we got him but the main issue is, if Bell goes, we'll be paying a "you're desperate for a left back" premium to Cardiff because they know we HAVE to fill that gap. 

I think you are overplaying it. A Championship club especially in this climate wouldnt be able to charge too much for a left back they considered as dispensable at the start of the season and one who has spent all of it out with a serious knee injury. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, JoeH said:

If Bell stays, we are still desperate for a left back.

17 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I think you are overplaying it. A Championship club especially in this climate wouldnt be able to charge too much for a left back they considered as dispensable at the start of the season and one who has spent all of it out with a serious knee injury. 

It's the way the marker works. Tony talks about it often, and whilst I don't always agree with his transfer policy, his general thoughts on football are often bang on. Just look at Manchester United with Josh King, Bournemouth knew they were desperate and tried to charge a huge premium. If Bell goes, we have no left back. Cardiff aren't thick, they'll try and get the most out of it that they can. I don't think it's overplaying it to say we'll have to pay some kind of premium in the market because we are without a single left-back if Bell goes.

17 hours ago, rigger said:

If Bell stays, we are still desperate for a left back.

True, but not in a state where we don't have a single first team left-back. If we don't have Bell, we are leaving ourselves exposed in the market. We need to bring two left-backs in in my opinion.

50 minutes ago, JoeH said:

It's the way the marker works. Tony talks about it often, and whilst I don't always agree with his transfer policy, his general thoughts on football are often bang on. Just look at Manchester United with Josh King, Bournemouth knew they were desperate and tried to charge a huge premium. If Bell goes, we have no left back. Cardiff aren't thick, they'll try and get the most out of it that they can. I don't think it's overplaying it to say we'll have to pay some kind of premium in the market because we are without a single left-back if Bell goes.

The situations are totally different. Josh King is one of Bournemouths best and most valuable players. Man United are one of the richest clubs in the world, it was a pre pandemic economic climate and it was the very last day of the transfer window.

I dont think there is any comparison towards an unwanted left back who was loaned to us last season and subsequently spent the vast majority out with a serious knee injury, one to which he is still recovering, and with one year left on his contract. I suspect if we was interested, the scope for any fee would be nominal, and if it went beyond that, it would become quite clearly not an option to a club that made considerable losses even prior to a pandemic. And we would resort to the free agent and loan market that I suspect we will be limited to anyway.

I understand the concept of supply and demand but in this case such a comparison is senseless for so many reasons. 

You could say if a team needed a centre back and was interested in Mulgrew we could charge a premium but it wouldnt work like that and as it happened, we would probably be willing to pay a portion of his wage to make it happen for free.

4 hours ago, JoeH said:

True, but not in a state where we don't have a single first team left-back. If we don't have Bell, we are leaving ourselves exposed in the market. We need to bring two left-backs in in my opinion.

Bell is not a left back, whilst I still have a hole in my arse.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

I understand the concept of supply and demand but in this case such a comparison is senseless for so many reasons. 

You could say if a team needed a centre back and was interested in Mulgrew we could charge a premium but it wouldnt work like that and as it happened, we would probably be willing to pay a portion of his wage to make it happen for free.

If you understand the concept of supply and demand then you'll understand that if we have Lewis Thompson as our only left-back heading into 2020/21, we're going to end up over paying for whoever we bring in at left-back.

Charlie Mulgrew is a silly comparison because no sides are desperate for a shit centre-back. Greg Cunningham isn't shit, and a lot of sides struggle for full backs.

King is as important to Bournemouth as having a first team left-back would be to us next season... I really don't understand your point. I'm obviously aware that the price points are miles apart, it's a paralleled comparison, down at our level.

We need a left-back just as much as Manchester United needed a striker, and that's whether we have Amari'i Bell or not.

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

and if it went beyond that, it would become quite clearly not an option to a club that made considerable losses even prior to a pandemic

But that's the issue. Rovers aren't sensible in the market. Paying seven figures for Greg Cunningham is exactly the type of thing we'd do. 

20 minutes ago, JoeH said:

If you understand the concept of supply and demand then you'll understand that if we have Lewis Thompson as our only left-back heading into 2020/21, we're going to end up over paying for whoever we bring in at left-back.

Charlie Mulgrew is a silly comparison because no sides are desperate for a shit centre-back. Greg Cunningham isn't shit, and a lot of sides struggle for full backs.

King is as important to Bournemouth as having a first team left-back would be to us next season... I really don't understand your point. I'm obviously aware that the price points are miles apart, it's a paralleled comparison, down at our level.

We need a left-back just as much as Manchester United needed a striker, and that's whether we have Amari'i Bell or not.

You are only considering the importance of the player to the buying team. You are not considering:

-the importance of the players to the selling team. Josh King is/was a key player at Bournemouth. Cunningham was loaned out because he was unwanted.

-the potential value of the player in general. Cunningham has a year left on his contract and has still not recovered from a long term knee injury.

-the economical situation of the clubs. Rovers do not often spend fees on players really, and if they do it is usually for under 25s. United had millions burning a hole in their pocket after selling Lukaku.

-the overall financial framework of football during a pandemic.

- the levels at which the clubs are at. A Championship club can get a competent left back on a free or on loan on plenty of occasions. A top 6 Premier League club in Europe, they certainly cannot find their answer in them markets. Before Ighalo is mentioned, his loan until January is costing them 10m.

If you think that Cardiff are rubbing their hands together with glee because we need a left back I just think thats a little naive considering various factors, even allowing for the fact that we would have no left backs. 

You say Mulgrew is a shit centre back but if you took finance out of it, just because he can no longer perform at Championship level (although Wigan may argue otherwise) various teams in Leagues 1, 2, the SPL, the MLS, Australia etc would take him if he wasnt on the wages he was. It wouldnt mean that Rovers would be in a particularly powerful position ready to charge lots of money for him because we dont want him anymore.

Linked with Livingstone striker. Celtic, Rangers, Rovers, Millwall, Boro, Stoke City, Barnsley and Wigan

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8395057/Livingston-want-2m-striker-Lyndon-Dykes-Celtic-Rangers-lead-hunt-demand-star.html

Rovers after Liverpool's Curtis Jones on loan but been told not available cos they going to play him at Liverpool

https://the72.co.uk/171197/blackburn-rovers-suffer-blow-in-pursuit-of-liverpool-midfielder/

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Linked with Livingstone striker. Celtic, Rangers, Rovers, Millwall, Boro, Stoke City, Barnsley and Wigan

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-8395057/Livingston-want-2m-striker-Lyndon-Dykes-Celtic-Rangers-lead-hunt-demand-star.html

Rovers after Liverpool's Curtis Jones on loan but been told not available cos they going to play him at Liverpool

https://the72.co.uk/171197/blackburn-rovers-suffer-blow-in-pursuit-of-liverpool-midfielder/

I  not sure a 19 year old midfielder would be my top priority at the moment 

50 minutes ago, rigger said:

I  not sure a 19 year old midfielder would be my top priority at the moment 

He is a good talent and someone would have a coup there for me if they could get him on loan. I guess similar to get a good young talent on loan for 12 months to Adarabioyo. 

2 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

He is a good talent and someone would have a coup there for me if they could get him on loan. I guess similar to get a good young talent on loan for 12 months to Adarabioyo. 

But we needed a defender, we don’t need a midfielder.

5 minutes ago, rigger said:

But we needed a defender, we don’t need a midfielder.

I would say we need 2 keepers, 1 centre back, 1 left back maybe 2 if Bell contract isn't renewed, 1 right winger this summer or whenever the transfer window is

A keeper and a centre half are absolute musts, two of each if the budget allows it.

Which is why our first signing will be a central midfielder or a "wide" forward.

Edited by MarkBRFC

25 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Which is why our first signing will be a central midfielder or a "wide" forward.

Yup. Fully expect us to go after someone like Lyle Taylor instead of focusing on CB, GK and LB.