BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

1 minute ago, RoversClitheroe said:

Mowbray is a miracle worker with goalkeepers! Getting rid of Raya (one if not the best keeper in the Championship) and then loaning a keeper who's not better than Raya. Then signing a keeper who can't get into a mid table league 1 side. Confident he will be an insane signing.

Raya certainly isnt the best goalkeeper in the Championship, and to be fair the Championship has very decent goalkeepers in it. Undoubtedly talented but far too eccentric and error prone at the moment. A good goalkeeper is one that breeds confidence and often one that is seldom noticed, Raya is the opposite of that. Walton is steadier, less talented but also makes less dramatic errors. Made quite a few mistakes of lesser profile but ones that led to goals in the first half of the season, but was much improved if nothing special as the season progressed. Take your point about loaning him in though for sure. 

I think with McLaughlin, ultimately had we not been amidst a pandemic, it would have been a very underwhelming addition. With no money around, it may at best turn into an understandable one.

He was the number 1 for the most part at Sunderland aside from a spell earlier in the season when his form dipped. Was key to their side that made the play off final the year prior. Hardly a glittering CV though!

I think Samba at Forest is the best keeper in the league personally.

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Raya certainly isnt the best goalkeeper in the Championship, and to be fair the Championship has very decent goalkeepers in it. Undoubtedly talented but far too eccentric and error prone at the moment. A good goalkeeper is one that breeds confidence and often one that is seldom noticed, Raya is the opposite of that. Walton is steadier, less talented but also makes less dramatic errors. Made quite a few mistakes of lesser profile but ones that led to goals in the first half of the season, but was much improved if nothing special as the season progressed. Take your point about loaning him in though for sure. 

I think with McLaughlin, ultimately had we not been amidst a pandemic, it would have been a very underwhelming addition. With no money around, it may at best turn into an understandable one.

He was the number 1 for the most part at Sunderland aside from a spell earlier in the season when his form dipped. Was key to their side that made the play off final the year prior. Hardly a glittering CV though!

I think Samba at Forest is the best keeper in the league personally.

Walton's errors in the first half of the season were as numerous as Raya's or moreso, but without the brilliant saves to compensate. How spectacular the blunders are is irrelevant because they still shipped goals. He has improved a lot but still doesn't reach the shots Raya can stop at times. Would ditch him to have Raya back in a shot.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Walton's errors in the first half of the season were as numerous as Raya's or moreso, but without the brilliant saves to compensate. How spectacular the blunders are is irrelevant because they still shipped goals. He has improved a lot but still doesn't reach the shots Raya can stop at times. Would ditch him to have Raya back in a shot.

I definitely dont think that anyone could claim IMO that Raya is the best keeper in the league, far too many calamtious mistakes.

Comparisons with Walton are natural, overall I felt at the point of lockdown I felt much more confident with Walton rather than the eccentric Raya, comparing the overall season of Walton back to Raya might come down to personal preference as I was Waltons biggest credit considering the quantity of mistakes he made, but lets not forget the numerous mistakes that Raya made, the nightmare he was coming for crosses.

To be fair, the standard of keeping across the Championship is really poor, even at the top end. 

43 minutes ago, J*B said:

FFP rules relaxed for a season to help with the Covid effect on finances. Let’s see how deep those pockets are, no excuses now. 

Is this from UEFA? Does that effect teams in EFL?

Edited by chaddyrovers

Youd think the first thing the owners "always happy to sign a cheque" will do is reimburse those not satisfied by a link to the BCD football for whatever reason.

FFP I think was only ever an excuse and of course the pandemic will have affected our absent owners too so to expect a transfer budget of any significance still seems naive to me.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Youd think the first thing the owners "always happy to sign a cheque" will do is reimburse those not satisfied by a link to the BCD football for whatever reason.

FFP I think was only ever an excuse and of course the pandemic will have affected our absent owners too so to expect a transfer budget of any significance still seems naive to me.

Most things they do or have done fly right in the face of FFP.  Yes cutting the wage bill would affect the team but on ther side of the coin money still gets wasted and bills run up left right and center.  Then there is the signing off of 5/6/7 million pound tranfers on players who are real gambles not final jigsaw promotion push types.

THe old FFP line only gets trotted out when the buzzards are circling over something or other, or as last time when a big round of sales is beginning to loom on the horizon.

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, J*B said:

FFP rules relaxed for a season to help with the Covid effect on finances. Let’s see how deep those pockets are, no excuses now. 

Where's this come from? Is this for everyone in all four divisions?

Most managers under Venky's especially Mowbray and our alleged insider at the Club Paul Mani who pops up every transfer window have always said the owners never refuse funding when asked.

If FFP is to be completely abolished for 12 months with no future comeback or strings attached then if the funding and the willingness really was there the thing to do would be to spend massively now and get everyone in you need for the forseeable future, and make sure hardly anyone was needed when the rules did come back into effect.

We shall see. Not really holding my breath.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Most managers under Venky's especially Mowbray and our alleged insider at the Club Paul Mani who pops up every transfer window have always said the owners never refuse funding when asked.

If FFP is to be completely abolished for 12 months with no future comeback or strings attached then if the funding and the willingness really was there the thing to do would be to spend massively now and get everyone in you need for the forseeable future, and make sure hardly anyone was needed when the rules did come back into effect.

Only in UEFA competitions so far, but all other leagues expected to follow suit. 

B95692E1-769B-4AC7-8EB5-C4CE17D35A8D.jpeg

12 hours ago, Admiral Nelsen said:

Jackson Irvine left Hull on a free.

Pretty well stocked in that area & obviously wouldn't get in front of Travis, but still a good player at this level even if Hull have been appalling since January.

Very good player

• Like 2

8 hours ago, RevidgeBlue said:

TM's obviously put Mani of furlough.  A winning streak and sure enough he'l be back.

On another note Smallwood - Plays well for a season two years ago and is now entitled to pick up wages here as long as he wants.  No money for refunds though but the opportunity to cut deadwood might be passed over again in favour of 12 month deals once the green light is given.

If a long overdue salary cap comes in we'll make a f up of it guaranteed.  

Edited by tomphil
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, J*B said:

Hmmm. Hang on though. Let's not be rash here.

FFP rules relaxed for one season is all well and good, but players wages still matter going into next season and the one after that.

FFP rules being relaxed for one year will help us with 1-year contracted players & loans. It might mean we can afford Tosin's high wages for another season, be able to offer better wages to European free agents, but it's not like we can go out and splash the cash on a player who'll cost £35,000 a week and then expect us to be fine financially because of a One year relaxation period.

Callum Camps,  who people have mentioned in connection with Rovers in the past has been released by Rochdale. It'll be interesting to see where he ends up.  They've also released their long time leading scorer Ian Henderson. Henderson would have been a decent signing when we were relegated but that ship has sailed.

• Like 1

They might provide the same budget as last season which would be fair of them given the circumstances. However a large chunk would probably be instantly swallowed up by the losses/borrowings and wages deferred to cover this period.

Then we are into making the best of what we have territory and that's where i worry with this manager and his over loyalty. Personally i think he'd like nothing more than keeping hold of the likes of Smallwood, Samuel etc as you were rather than the hassle of replacing them. We could do without but again that would mean more youth instead and i'm not sure he'd like that risk either.

1 hour ago, tomphil said:

Personally i think he'd like nothing more than keeping hold of the likes of Smallwood, Samuel etc as you were rather than the hassle of replacing them.

I wouldn't put Samuel in Smallwood bracket. Persinally think theres a player in there and we should be getting more out of him if fully fit. (However,  i have little confidence in our coaches gettting him to peak form and fitness)

2 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

I wouldn't put Samuel in Smallwood bracket. Persinally think theres a player in there and we should be getting more out of him if fully fit. (However,  i have little confidence in our coaches gettting him to peak form and fitness)

He's just another dud striker for me there just isn't the potential goals in him.

If he put himself about a bit more there's a target man role. That type is desperately needed in squads in this div. Sadly although the has the tools for that I don't think he has the desire for the graft involved. 

Sentiment again getting in the way I feel.

• Like 1

It certainly would have been news if he hadn’t started until the end of the season.

The only thing worse than having Walton as our number one is the prospect that next season’s number one will be worse.

At any club with ambitions of promotion he’d be a number two.

22 hours ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Callum Camps,  who people have mentioned in connection with Rovers in the past has been released by Rochdale. It'll be interesting to see where he ends up.  They've also released their long time leading scorer Ian Henderson. Henderson would have been a decent signing when we were relegated but that ship has sailed.

I still keep an eye out on Camps, great player and I think he’d step up. Solid runner type.