BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

51 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

I agree with Darrenbot that we need to wait before committing to any signings for next season as we don't know if we get promote or not. Now this wont stop our recruitment team and staff scouting, researching and formulating different transfer plans and targets for next season. You would hope that Mowbray has decide on the positions we need new signings in after the seasons finish. 

I think its more the case that they are waiting to see if there is an FFP amnesty or not.

If not we are still in a situation of starting from a budget of minus £15 million.

Until this situation is known we ain"t making offers to anyone.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

and hasnt been any worse than Raya was for us.

Wash your mouth out young chadders.

Worst keeper I've seen in a Rovers shirt apart from maybe Alan Fettis.

At least "Dracula" John Butcher (afraid of crosses) was a reasonable shot stopper!

Edited by RevidgeBlue
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RevidgeBlue said:

At least "Dracula" John Butcher (afraid of crosses) was a reasonable shot stopper!

Seen much worst than Walton in my Time as Rovers fan. 

Fettis, Alan Miller, Enckelman, Steele(went worst after his 1st season here) 

• Like 3

Tony Mowbray transfer plans and how it will help Blackburn Rovers evolve

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/tony-mowbray-transfer-plans-how-18474116

Changes in the scouting department has seen Bruno Reis inherit a new role as Head of European Scouting, with Rovers extending their scope into regions of Eastern and Southern Europe.

"If I don't know how much money I'm spending I can't be throwing it at people. Who's to say there's not going to be salary caps brought in, or the budget isn't going to be cut considerably.

"I can't offer people anything while we don't have budgets and we don't know how much you have to spend because that's how you have to work."

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

At least theres a reason this year for the owners typically disorganised approach allowing others to steal a march. Mowbray better hope he is allowed to fly to India otherwise no signings will be coming!

India is in the middle of Coronavirus pandemic so not likely Mowbray or Waggott would be able travel tbh..is it safe either? 

Rao's - Please learn Skype.

TM having to meet with them each season always puts us behind as it is. Now with the pandemic, he wont be able to go cap in hand like they enjoy.

Get budgets drawn up for this division and the unlikely event that we win the playoffs. We can start putting the feelers out if we know what we have to spend.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Very judgemental there Stuart. 

Yes we need 2 keepers this summer whatever division but you cant sign anyone now cos we dont know which league we in. 

We have 2 targets last summer to replace Raya but neither happened due to different circumstances. Walton has improved over the season and hasnt been any worse than Raya was for us.

Apart from the first half of the season which was error strewn and next season when he isn't here for us. So really hasn't been as good for us this season whatsoever both from a long term view and the half season of muck ups. 

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Bit harsh imo as there was a lot of improvement within 2020 but the first half of the season was absymal. 

I'd put Steele and Ferris comfortably below him (or should that be above?) in terms of crapness as neither had a run of a few good games which Walton has at least managed. 

Think with the improvement of late it's easy to forget how weak the first half of the season was. 

Tony Mowbray transfer plans and how it will help Blackburn Rovers evolve

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/football-news/tony-mowbray-transfer-plans-how-18474116

Changes in the scouting department has seen Bruno Reis inherit a new role as Head of European Scouting, with Rovers extending their scope into regions of Eastern and Southern Europe.

"If I don't know how much money I'm spending I can't be throwing it at people. Who's to say there's not going to be salary caps brought in, or the budget isn't going to be cut considerably.

"I can't offer people anything while we don't have budgets and we don't know how much you have to spend because that's how you have to work."

And people say we should move on from Venkys past and forgive and forget. What they are ignoring is things like this that continue to substantially harm the club. Learned their lessons? Nah they are still shafting us with their negligence. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

I think its more the case that they are waiting to see if there is an FFP amnesty or not.

If not we are still in a situation of starting from a budget of minus £15 million.

Until this situation is known we ain"t making offers to anyone.

I'd say it goes further up the line than that, and is more about Venkys not being sure what their own financial situation is going to be when everything is said and done.

If McLaughlin was genuinely a target, which we will never know then it is poor planning again in terms of he would have been a cheap solution to fill a position we dont have any players for next season. Whether we all think he would have been a shrewd addition or an underwhelming one is irrelevant to that. We saw with Bauer that we had a signing in mind, dallied, were beaten to it and had no plan B so lets see how this plays out.

Talk about potentially holding back tactically in case we mount an unlikely play off triumph is incredibly naive in terms of how inefficient and slow minded the club is under Venkys.

• Like 1

Certainly has a Bauer feel to it. Was he not guaranteed to be starter? Told he would have to battle with the Canadian and 2 kids for the number 1 spot? Either way these 'long term' targets never seem to get over the line. Are they messed about with? What exactly happens in the negotiations? Were they told it would have to be ok'd by the Venkies who are renowned for being a little on the slow side? 

Now, Rangers coming in might have been a preferred option for the lad. They are back in his homeland, have huge support and will compete for trophies each year. Point is, this should have been sorted long before they even came in. We lost out on McGinn in the same way - dallied until a better option in Villa decided to take a punt and the rest is history. 

8 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Talk about potentially holding back tactically in case we mount an unlikely play off triumph is incredibly naive in terms of how inefficient and slow minded the club is under Venkys.

Mowbray and his recruitment staff will have target lists for both scenarios. 

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

So they should do - but without having the okay to spend any money, you can have all the lists in the world. 

• Like 2

If McLaughlin was a target (we will probably never know) then a pre contractual agreement could have been agreed so that doesnt really wash. Ultimately it would be another example of delays within the club allowing other clubs to get ahead and sign our targets.

Just now, roversfan99 said:

If McLaughlin was a target (we will probably never know) then a pre contractual agreement could have been agreed so that doesnt really wash. Ultimately it would be another example of delays within the club allowing other clubs to get ahead and sign our targets.

When is the new season starting? 

Why sign anyone before we knew which league we are in? 

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Where have you been for the last 3 months?

Economies are on theur arses and businesses are failing worldwide. A possible global recession.  You seem to think its  business as usual. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Where have you been for the last 3 months?

Economies are on theur arses and businesses are failing worldwide. A possible global recession.  You seem to think its  business as usual. 

I am fully aware of the economy and businesses Sparks and what going on financial. It's far from business outside football but clubs are spending money at PL level. 

Who next what Rovers transfers will be like. I expect frees and loans with one or 2 key players sold unless FFP rules are relax as UEFA have done. Plus What will Venkys do. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

1 hour ago, JacknOry said:

Certainly has a Bauer feel to it. Was he not guaranteed to be starter? Told he would have to battle with the Canadian and 2 kids for the number 1 spot? Either way these 'long term' targets never seem to get over the line. Are they messed about with? What exactly happens in the negotiations? Were they told it would have to be ok'd by the Venkies who are renowned for being a little on the slow side? 

Now, Rangers coming in might have been a preferred option for the lad. They are back in his homeland, have huge support and will compete for trophies each year. Point is, this should have been sorted long before they even came in. We lost out on McGinn in the same way - dallied until a better option in Villa decided to take a punt and the rest is history. 

This got me thinking about long-term pursuits.

I'd say the longest ones we are aware of that panned out are:

Gallagher - was a target when we came up wasn't he? Panned out might be generous considering...

Armstrong - I bet TM was tracking him from when he rocked up, having worked with him at Cov. But for sure we took him on loan, then followed up with a protracted summer chase.

Rothwell - was a target in the January of our League One season when we ended up with Payne instead.

The fails are:

Bauer - the big one, a whole year wasn't it? Just for Preston to gazump us, that one was really embarassing and he's had a fine season, and although we got Tosin instead we're an injury from an inadequate partnership as nobody else seems a suitable partner for Lenihan. Next season we're very likely to not have Tosin. We needed two CBs and could have done with both, although maybe we were going for both and were too honest to Bauer about this and his chances.

McLaughlin

McGinn (arguably, more a protracted summer chase than a truly long-term pursuit I think?)

Can't think of any others, feel free to add, but if I'm right then I suppose that makes a roughly 50 percent success rate on the long-term targets that we know of. Problem is we seem to cock it up the most in the areas we consistently fail to recruit, defence and GK. Bauer and McLaughlin also wouldn't have cost that much and were freebies, which means we had even more time to tie them up and no fee involved, no club to negotiate with. The successes are all attackers. Gally is gash for what we paid so far, Rothwell was cheap, brilliant when on song but still hasn't done it consistently enough yet. Armstrong was a triumph if he keeps up his 2020 form.

Well we cant right now anyway as season not finish and transfer window not open in England

There are quite a lot of players about to go out of contract, we could talk to them if we know what budget we have. They need tying up as soon as possible. McLaughlin was one of them. The more we can tie up on frees nice and early, the less pressure we have to spend heavy when the window does open and the most desirable free agents have been snapped up.

When is the new season starting? 

Why sign anyone before we knew which league we are in? 

This isn't a terrible point, but it's flawed. It would make sense if we were in a relegation battle. It would make sense if we were in a promotion battle from League One again. But it doesn't matter for a promotion fight to the Prem, because the money on offer there completely changes the game. Yes this changes targets, but it also changes resources to such a degree that a free signing like McLaughlin has an irrelevant impact on our budget if we have those riches. This applies to any free signings we could get at this stage. In the case of a goalie in particular, they could easily just become our 2nd or even 3rd choice when buying new ones. In the areas where we should be recruiting, this should apply to most freebies we would look to sign, assuming they are of a reasonable calibre. Squaddies at best, irrelevant to the budget and loaned out at worst.

By the time the real transfer window opens and fees get involved, we should know where we are. It's only likely we could tie up 2-3 desirable freebies before then, if that, assuming we got our shit together.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

This got me thinking about long-term pursuits.

I'd say the longest ones we are aware of that panned out are:

Gallagher - was a target when we came up wasn't he? Panned out might be generous considering...

Armstrong - I bet TM was tracking him from when he rocked up, having worked with him at Cov. But for sure we took him on loan, then followed up with a protracted summer chase.

Rothwell - was a target in the January of our League One season when we ended up with Payne instead.

The fails are:

Bauer - the big one, a whole year wasn't it? Just for Preston to gazump us, that one was really embarassing and he's had a fine season, and although we got Tosin instead we're an injury from an inadequate partnership as nobody else seems a suitable partner for Lenihan. Next season we're very likely to not have Tosin. We needed two CBs and could have done with both, although maybe we were going for both and were too honest to Bauer about this and his chances.

McLaughlin

McGinn (arguably, more a protracted summer chase than a truly long-term pursuit I think?)

Can't think of any others, feel free to add, but if I'm right then I suppose that makes a roughly 50 percent success rate on the long-term targets that we know of. Problem is we seem to cock it up the most in the areas we consistently fail to recruit, defence and GK. Bauer and McLaughlin also wouldn't have cost that much and were freebies, which means we had even more time to tie them up and no fee involved, no club to negotiate with. The successes are all attackers. Gally is gash for what we paid so far, Rothwell was cheap, brilliant when on song but still hasn't done it consistently enough yet. Armstrong was a triumph if he keeps up his 2020 form.

At a stretch, you could put Harrison Reed in there. Had him on loan and then threw in what was deemed quite a derogatory offer at the end of the window - to be easily beaten by Fulham. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

There are quite a lot of players about to go out of contract, we could talk to them if we know what budget we have. They need tying up as soon as possible. McLaughlin was one of them. The more we can tie up on frees nice and early, the less pressure we have to spend heavy when the window does open and the most desirable free agents have been snapped up.

This isn't a terrible point, but it's flawed. It would make sense if we were in a relegation battle. It would make sense if we were in a promotion battle from League One again. But it doesn't matter for a promotion fight to the Prem, because the money on offer there completely changes the game. Yes this changes targets, but it also changes resources to such a degree that a free signing like McLaughlin has an irrelevant impact on our budget if we have those riches. This applies to any free signings we could get at this stage. In the case of a goalie in particular, they could easily just become our 2nd or even 3rd choice when buying new ones. In the areas where we should be recruiting, this should apply to most freebies we would look to sign, assuming they are of a reasonable calibre. Squaddies at best, irrelevant to the budget and loaned out at worst.

By the time the real transfer window opens and fees get involved, we should know where we are. It's only likely we could tie up 2-3 desirable freebies before then, if that, assuming we got our shit together.

Exactly, and let's face it - what are the odds of us realistically going up? it is far more likely that we will be in the Championship again next season, so should be planning for that primarily. We not only have to get into the playoffs but stand a 25% chance of winning them if we do.

As you say, free signings are not going to make much of a difference in the grand scheme of things if we do get promoted. McLaughlin who would have probably been number one in the Championship would then have to settle for being a number two in the PL - he can like it or lump it.  

A lot of clubs are offloading players due to finances - meaning there should be some decent/good freebies coming available. 

• Like 1