BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

7 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Why is Bell being on 5k a week now gospel ?

You quite clearly dont see the inconsistent and flawed logic of adopting a wait to see what division we are in etc policy but signing Bell for am extra year prematurely. You also seem not to realise that both suggestions involve signing a left back but yours also has Bell ASWELL. Its like talking to a brick wall so I will leave it there.

Well yes cos I would let William's go instead as I said before which you miss!

So no reply to this again isnt that going to more expensive to find a cheap replacement when Bell is on about 5k a week at best(I guess) but a new signing would probably cost more when you factor in wages, agent fee, player signings on fee. 

Also when did I say loads of signings? Another comment without any evidence of me saying this by yourself again. More BS!

Williams over bell all day.

williams is a decent cb and a poor left back. Bell is just poor. He hasn’t improved in the whole time he’s been here. He can’t tackle , he checkS back and plays It safe without putting a cross in. He seems to lack confidence and he hasnt grown and fulfilled his potential the way I thought he would because he has the attributes. Ultimately he is a defender that can’t defend. Williams is decent cb cover and had never let us down when played there. The answer is clearly we need a new LB 

• Like 3

Said it before will say it again - when we are debating who is less crap rather than who is better, as in the case of our left backs, you know there are real issues. 

For me we need:

A good solid championship keeper who is ours.

A decent back up keeper better than Leus. 

A proper championship quality left back. 

A proper championship quality centre back to replace Tosin. 

A reserve centre back for when Lenihen is injured. Who could also perhaps provide full back cover. And by this I mean better than Williams. 

A proper defensive/centre mid to partner Travis. As in someone better than and less injured than Evans. 

A wide attacking forward/wide midfielder who adds width. 

A quality  target man striker. 

You could argue we get away without either  a target man or wide forward with Armstrong occupying one of these roles, but really is it good that he is the only striker likely to score? You could also say between Downing, Johnson and Evans we don't need a partner for Travis. But two are aging, one is injured and Downing covers multiple positions. You could say Williams is cover for CB and lb but it's questionable he is of the required quality at CB and definitely not at lb.you could say a youth player could cover reserve keeper but that's heck of a risk.  So I think there is a case for needing 8 players to make this squad promotion worthy. Even best case scenario needs 4 or 5. For the record I don't think we will get near this in terms of numbers or recruits but this is what I think is needed. Perhaps players in the squad will step up and fulfil these roles to this level. Again though I can't see it happening 

• Like 1

I think first of all we need a new manager. I like Mowbray and the steady job he's done. But he's not done anything more than Bowyer, who was binned off by this stage in his tenure. Even Mowbray has talked about 3year cycles in management, which means he should be done according to his own theory. If we have any aspirations for the Premier league, it's time for a parting of the ways.

• Like 3

Excluding Tosin as a loan player. Players I think are at an acceptable standard-Nyambe (most of the time), lenihan, travis, dack, Armstrong and Downing (knocking on a bit). Maybe holtby/graham as squad men plus the younger academy lads.

Obviously couldn't replace an entire squad in one window (we can’t even get one centre half in 3 windows of trying) but the rest of the squad could go for me.

Either way it’s a very fragile squad. With probably no money if lost a few key players I see us as being nearer to relegation than assembling a squad genuinely capable or a promotion challenge  

13 minutes ago, arbitro said:

It's archetypal Nixon. He knows we need a keeper or two and will link every Tom, Dick or Harry keeper that is available. Staggering to think he makes a living doing this.

The last 2, Joe Hart and McLaughlin, both of whom Nixon credited us with a strong interest, even repeatedly saying McLaughlin was close, have both been actively rubbished by the manager. No point listening to him!

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Anyone know any more about him? 

Lad at my work is an avid Macclesfield Town fan and wouldn't stop going on about the keeper they had on loan from Man Utd last season, won there player of the year award I think. Just seen that it's this O'Hara we have been linked with today.

Considering they were in the bottom 2 or 3 all of that season I'm guessing it was a huge learning curve for him, no idea how good he is though.

50 minutes ago, Lucimo said:

Think that's the plan JacknOry. But then that can't do the confidence of Fisher and Hilton any good. 

is Fisher good enough to be 1st team keeper considering he had 2 loans this season at Northampton and MK Dons. He never played a game. 

on Hilton, I believe Mowbray and Rovers want him to play regular 1st team football next season at league 1 or 2 clubs

19 minutes ago, MarkBRFC said:

Lad at my work is an avid Macclesfield Town fan and wouldn't stop going on about the keeper they had on loan from Man Utd last season, won there player of the year award I think. Just seen that it's this O'Hara we have been linked with today.

Considering they were in the bottom 2 or 3 all of that season I'm guessing it was a huge learning curve for him, no idea how good he is though.

thanks for the reply

I think it’s clear that we need a new goalkeeper and lb. They are the weak areas at the moment. I do think we’ll make an attempt to bring back Cunningham here next season as he looked very good before his injury. Thankfully Walton is not ours so we can consign him to the history books. We’ll need a couple of centre halves to come in; one to sadly replace Tosin, who is destined for a loan spell at the top level next season you would imagine, and one who can provide back up for first choice centre halves.

Outs: Leutwiler, Mulgrew, Smallwood, Samuel, Hart, Chapman, (Walton), (Tosin)

Keep: Graham, Downing

Incoming: Two GK, Two centre halves, LB, wide striker 

3 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

I think it’s clear that we need a new goalkeeper and lb. They are the weak areas at the moment. I do think we’ll make an attempt to bring back Cunningham here next season as he looked very good before his injury. Thankfully Walton is not ours so we can consign him to the history books. We’ll need a couple of centre halves to come in; one to sadly replace Tosin, who is destined for a loan spell at the top level next season you would imagine, and one who can provide back up for first choice centre halves.

Why would we sign a wide striker and persist with a tactic that doesnt work?

And who is taking Mulgrew off our hands?

A few weeks ago, Cunningham put on his Instagram (and swiftly pulled down) he had been accepted into UCLAN to study Sports Science. That would be totally insane unless he’s moving back to the North West. I’m confident we will see him here. 

1 hour ago, roversfan99 said:

Why would we sign a wide striker and persist with a tactic that doesnt work?

And who is taking Mulgrew off our hands?

I think the tactic does work, we've done well this season with that tactic. Pretty much all teams play that way now. What we have got wrong is continuing to play Gallagher wide right when he's clearly not suited to that role. 

Mulgrew will likely move on loan again. 

1 hour ago, J*B said:

A few weeks ago, Cunningham put on his Instagram (and swiftly pulled down) he had been accepted into UCLAN to study Sports Science. That would be totally insane unless he’s moving back to the North West. I’m confident we will see him here. 

Let's hope so. He liked it here, we liked him, and Cardiff don't seem desperate to keep him so all the signs are positive. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

Let's hope so. He liked it here, we liked him, and Cardiff don't seem desperate to keep him so all the signs are positive. 

Is he back in training from his injury yet do we know?

Interesting to see if he has any lasting effects from that, can't say I'm desperate for us to take the risk with him.

Barry Douglas is one I've always liked at Wolves & Leeds. When Leeds go up he might be worth a loan deal.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rovers11 said:

I would add a quality and most importantly fit central midfielder to that list! 

28 minutes ago, rovers11 said:

I think the tactic does work, we've done well this season with that tactic. Pretty much all teams play that way now. What we have got wrong is continuing to play Gallagher wide right when he's clearly not suited to that role. 

Mulgrew will likely move on loan again. 

Has it really been successful? Our goals mainly come from central areas. Dack, Armstrong since he moved central, Holtby, 3 from each CB, a few from central midfield. Aside from Nyambe, our strengths have all been in central positions, and our weak areas in wide areas. Mowbray has never successfully managed to get a grip on wide areas in his time here, its been an achilles heel for him aside from hot spells in League 1 for Antonsson and then Armstrong.

Which of our forwards are effective out wide? Gallagher youve acknowledged hasnt been effective there, his goals v Preston, Swansea and Stoke were from a striker position and his one at Sheffield Wednesday a 5th goal v 10 men. Brereton, 1 goal in 2 years and clearly not comfortable out wide? Samuel, again clearly not comfortable out wide, his solitary effective game coming away at Charlton when he played up front? Armstrong far more effective down the middle. So which wide strikers have worked out well?

If we have any resources to be able to bring in a wide man, it has to be someone who is naturally a wide man, not a striker who will have a go at impersonating one.

Which other wide strikers in the Championship are you referring to considering most teams play like that now? I suspect the difference lies in the detail of what Mowbray considers to be a wide striker and what other managers do.

• Like 2