SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

New

Nyambe - Lenihan - New - New

Travis - Downing - Evans/Holtby

Dack

Armstrong Brereton 

With a view that Davenport, Buckley, JRC are all looking to break into the team and get regular appearances.

The most important things to do in the summer:

1) Keep Travis, Nyambe and Lenihan

2) Keep Dack and Armstrong unless a ludicrous offer comes in 

3) Sign a GK, CB, LB and a fit tenacious CM (similar to Travis) 

4) Sell Smallwood, Samuel, Leutweler, Mulgrew, Johnson, Chapman(?)

5) Strengthen the squad with a 2nd CB signing and perhaps some width

Then again, we’ve all been pretty much saying the above for 2-3 windows now.

Edited by superniko

49 minutes ago, superniko said:

1) Keep Travis, Nyambe and Lenihan

2) Keep Dack and Armstrong unless a ludicrous offer comes in 

3) Sign a GK, CB, LB and a fit tenacious CM (similar to Travis) 

4) Sell Smallwood, Samuel, Leutweler, Mulgrew, Johnson, Chapman(?)

5) Strengthen the squad with a 2nd CB signing and perhaps some width

Smallwood, Samuel and Luetwiler are out of contract in a month. 

If we need to sell a player or 2 to suit FFP rules. 

I would want to keep Armstrong at all cost. 

I feel we need around 5 or 6 players this summer. Expect most to be foreign from comments previously made by Mowbray in past few months

Just now, chaddyrovers said:

Nyambe's contract is up in 12 months time so if wont sign a new contract then surely we have sell him? 

I'd want a very good fee. A manager who knows what he's doing would make a good right full back out of him. He's got all the attributes apart from composure in the last third of the pitch.

1 minute ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'd want a very good fee. A manager who knows what he's doing would make a good right full back out of him. He's got all the attributes apart from composure in the last third of the pitch.

I think he would a good signing at Palace. Hodgson would improve him 

What a good fee? 5 mil? 

Just now, roversfan99 said:

Is he going to attract a Premier League club at this point? Not so sure.

I think he would perfect at Palace IMO. Both of their right back are 30 years old and only 1 year left on contract. 

plus it would help us FFP if we are that close if there is no relaxing of FFP rules

15 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Nyambe's contract is up in 12 months time so if wont sign a new contract then surely we have sell him? 

A stupid decision to only give him a one year extension last year. But that's probably because he was not playing at the time so that Bennett could be shoehorned in at right back.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

What a good fee? 5 mil? 

No, that's a shit fee, and yet probably the type we would end up with.

1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

A stupid decision to only give him a one year extension last year. But that's probably because he was not playing at the time so that Bennett could be shoehorned in at right back.

Yes it was a dire decision, and I'm not saying it just with hindsight. I made posts on here to that effect at the time.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 3

Just now, bluebruce said:

No, that's a shit fee, and yet probably the type we would end up with.

Only 12 months left on deal. 

If we had to lose one of these 5 key players Armstrong, Lenihan, Travis, Dack or Nyambe going forward. Then Nyambe would have to the one. Wouldnt want to lose any ideally but with FFP rules and that fact he only got 12 months left on his contract. 

Would he sign a new contract? 

Will FFP be scrap finally? 

55 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Smallwood, Samuel and Luetwiler are out of contract in a month. 

If we need to sell a player or 2 to suit FFP rules. 

I would want to keep Armstrong at all cost. 

I feel we need around 5 or 6 players this summer. Expect most to be foreign from comments previously made by Mowbray in past few months

We will need 5 or 6 just to remain where we are now. If we want to be competing for promotion which must surely be the aim next season then we need around 10 players. 5 or 6 players will only just about cover the defence and goalkeepers. I know 10 sounds a lot and it is but that is what is needed and it is a sad indictment of Mowbray's dealings that it is the case but I'm afraid a number of his signings have not been up to standard and he has given players contracts that are too long and that has meant they stay clogging up the wage bill when they should have been moved on as we look to progress to the next level.

I look at our current squad and the only players that I think have the ability and more importantly the mentality to be part of a promotion chasing side are Nyambe, Lenihan, Travis, Holtby (if used properly), Downing (as a squad player), Dack and Armstrong. The rest of the squad I would be open to offers for, but sadly as we have seen with Smallwood this season the club has become such a cosy club that players aren't in a rush to leave even when they are not good enough to play. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, chaddyrovers said:

If we had to lose one of these 5 key players Armstrong, Lenihan, Travis, Dack or Nyambe going forward. Then Nyambe would have to the one. Wouldnt want to lose any ideally but with FFP rules and that fact he only got 12 months left on his contract. 

As another poster said if we got a £5 million offer we'd probably snatch their hands off but whoever buys him could have a bargain on their hands with the right development.

If we're ever going to do anything other than tread water we need to hold on to our best players.

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Agree. Mind you I think TMs handling of Nayambe has been shoddy throughout. he's been played behind the likes of Caddis and Bennett, both of whom are very poor full backs. Unlike Bennet's many gaffes Nayambe is singled out by the manager. Can't see him wanting to stay with that kind of treatment.

Also any fee we do get won't be spent on defenders and will leave our defence even more threadbare. So here's hoping by some miracle we can convince Nayambe to sign a new contract. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Dack would be the one, not Nyambe. I really don't want to lose Dack but we don't know how well he will recover, can get the most for him (though possibly not until he has shown he still has it) and have shown we can cope without him. He's also a fair bit older.

We will get our trousers pulled down for Nyambe just like we did for Raya, O'Connell and Cairney. What I see as his real value is a lot less than the deal we will get, unless we are lucky enough for Prem sides to bid, and maybe even then. What we need to do is get him on a proper deal, like we were too stupid to do last time. His current deal may have a 1 year extension in our favour though, we are big on those these days.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ewood Ace said:

We will need 5 or 6 just to remain where we are now. If we want to be competing for promotion which must surely be the aim next season then we need around 10 players. 5 or 6 players will only just about cover the defence and goalkeepers. I know 10 sounds a lot and it is but that is what is needed and it is a sad indictment of Mowbray's dealings that it is the case

If we had a good, consistent goalie this season, we would currently be sitting in a playoff spot. So I don't buy that.

We need a good goalie as above, a centre half at least as good as Tosin, solid backup for them, and a good left back. If we got that and didn't lose key players then logically we should be able to mount an effective playoff push. Injuries permitting. We could certainly use a few more players for comfort and in case of injuries and suspensions, but it isn't as drastic as you say. If it was as drastic as you say, we would probably be in a relegation fight now.

A manager who can pick the right players in the right positions would be a huge boost too...

8 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

If we had a good, consistent goalie this season, we would currently be sitting in a playoff spot. So I don't buy that.

We need a good goalie as above, a centre half at least as good as Tosin, solid backup for them, and a good left back. If we got that and didn't lose key players then logically we should be able to mount an effective playoff push. Injuries permitting. We could certainly use a few more players for comfort and in case of injuries and suspensions, but it isn't as drastic as you say. If it was as drastic as you say, we would probably be in a relegation fight now.

A manager who can pick the right players in the right positions would be a huge boost too...

We need two goalies for starters. Two centre backs and a left back as you said. I would argue that we need a right back because as much as I rate Nyambe he is prone to picking up knocks and we know that Bennett is hopeless there.

Central midfield needs reinforcing as Downing will be 36, Evans cannot be relied upon, Johnson has shown on occasions that he has ability the ability but has not looked in shape all season.

Upfront I'd hope that Graham and Samuel will not be offered new deals. We know that Brereton and Gallagher are not up to it which leaves Armstrong as our only striker who can hit the net with any regularity, so depending on what system we play at least 1 striker is needed. Also I personally would like to see a winger signed so that we have some proper width rather than sticking a 6ft 3 striker out there.

10 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

We need two goalies for starters. Two centre backs and a left back as you said. I would argue that we need a right back because as much as I rate Nyambe he is prone to picking up knocks and we know that Bennett is hopeless there.

Central midfield needs reinforcing as Downing will be 36, Evans cannot be relied upon, Johnson has shown on occasions that he has ability the ability but has not looked in shape all season.

Upfront I'd hope that Graham and Samuel will not be offered new deals. We know that Brereton and Gallagher are not up to it which leaves Armstrong as our only striker who can hit the net with any regularity, so depending on what system we play at least 1 striker is needed. Also I personally would like to see a winger signed so that we have some proper width rather than sticking a 6ft 3 striker out there.

You're listing things we need, and I agree we need them. In general. Those are the areas we are weak. But what I'm saying is we are only 4 points off the playoffs. Assuming a similar next season, all we would really need to improve to bridge the gap is the positions I mentioned. If we improved well in all the areas you mentioned before, with up to 10 players of the standard we would all want, we'd be more like challenging for auto promotion or even the title. The margins in this league aren't that big.

Edited by bluebruce

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

I think he would perfect at Palace IMO. Both of their right back are 30 years old and only 1 year left on contract. 

plus it would help us FFP if we are that close if there is no relaxing of FFP rules

There's 20 players on the books I'd sell before Nyambe to get us back onside with FFP.

For the sake of his own career he'll probably leave - but he's one of our few standout players so it'd be a shame to see him go. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

What a good fee? 5 mil? 

Its going to be hard to command a decent fee for a player who the manager has benched in favour of Elliot Bennet on many occasion. 

Nyambe will sit it out i think, play well next season and get himself a well deserved contract and coach to get the best out of him. Totally disrespected by Mowbray over the last few years.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

You're listing things we need, and I agree we need them. In general. Those are the areas we are weak. But what I'm saying is we are only 4 points off the playoffs. Assuming a similar next season, all we would really need to improve to bridge the gap is the positions I mentioned. If we improved well in all the areas you mentioned before, with up to 10 players of the standard we would all want, we'd be more like challenging for auto promotion or even the title. The margins in this league aren't that big.

Other sides are not going to sit still though and this has been one of the weakest Championships in years. Yet we still haven't been able to get into the top 6 once all season. Looking at who could come down as well it is certainly going to be a tougher league next season. Also looking at our upcoming games I wouldn't be at all surprised if we finished the season more than 4 points of the playoffs.