BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

16 minutes ago, Ewood Ace said:

Other sides are not going to sit still though and this has been one of the weakest Championships in years. Yet we still haven't been able to get into the top 6 once all season. Looking at who could come down as well it is certainly going to be a tougher league next season. Also looking at our upcoming games I wouldn't be at all surprised if we finished the season more than 4 points of the playoffs. 

A couple more defeats to put paid to promotion,  then a glorious fist pumping last 3 games to just miss out but still cooking for next season....and repeat.

Talk on here of £5m not being "enough" for Nyambe is tosh for me. What on earth makes him worth more than £5m? I like him, he's improved a lot but he's still League One quality going forward. He can't cross, pass very well or shoot. Why would any Premier League side be looking to bring in that kind of full back? Not many full backs in the Premier League these days are shit going forward.

Nobody in the first team best 11 should be benched for Elliot Bennett it's as simple as that but it doesn't work like that and nor does the manager. You need cogs in the wheel so it wouldn't be so bad if he was one of those in a consistent well moulded first 11 but he isn't that either he's every bit the utility man.

They though are supposed to fill the holes when required not have different berths in the team created for them weak on weak. There are 3 tombolas at Ewood at present in TMs office, one for selection, one for tactics and Benno has one all of his own. Just has number 1 and number 10 removed but every other number is up for grabs !

Keeps it interesting i suppose.

• Like 1

I don't know about Yannis N'gakoutou and the legitimacy of that link, but what I do know is that we NEED a back up right-back. We can't keep going full seasons without a back up right back. It's self-inflicting losses when Nyambe isn't fit that we just don't need to be inflicting.

7 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Looking at who could come down as well it is certainly going to be a tougher league next season

It feels like we say that every year though. And every year the Championship is still the same, where teams just 10/12 points below us are fighting relegation, and 3/4 points above us are fighting promotion. Little things matter, like early games against Luton Town at home etc...

10 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

We will need 5 or 6 just to remain where we are now. If we want to be competing for promotion which must surely be the aim next season then we need around 10 players. 5 or 6 players will only just about cover the defence and goalkeepers. I know 10 sounds a lot and it is but that is what is needed and it is a sad indictment of Mowbray's dealings that it is the case but I'm afraid a number of his signings have not been up to standard and he has given players contracts that are too long and that has meant they stay clogging up the wage bill when they should have been moved on as we look to progress to the next level.

I look at our current squad and the only players that I think have the ability and more importantly the mentality to be part of a promotion chasing side are Nyambe, Lenihan, Travis, Holtby (if used properly), Downing (as a squad player), Dack and Armstrong. The rest of the squad I would be open to offers for, but sadly as we have seen with Smallwood this season the club has become such a cosy club that players aren't in a rush to leave even when they are not good enough to play. 

We dont need 10 players this summer at all. 

If the 5 or 6 signings you bring any better quality then you will move up the league, plus we also need to bring through our academy players like Carter or Thompson. This also helps with FFP rules. 

We need 2 keepers, 2 centre backs, 1 full back and possibly 1 winger this summer. thats without losing key players. 

Smallwood, Samuel, Luetwiler and Hart should be release. We need Mulgrew off the wage bill. and I would sell Williams also. I would give new contracts to Downing and Graham. 

so our current squad with be

Keepers- 2 new keepers, Hilton(who I would loan out to a team who will play him regular.)

Defenders - Nyambe Lenihan new CB, new LB; Bennett Maglorie or Carter(with the other loan out), new CB, Bell

Centre Midfielders - Travis Downing Davenport Evans Johnson 

attacking midfielders - Buckley, Holtby, Rankin-Costello Dack Chapman, possible new winger

Strikers - Armstrong Gallagher Brereton Graham

That's around 25 man squad for next season. 

8 hours ago, bluebruce said:

Dack would be the one, not Nyambe. I really don't want to lose Dack but we don't know how well he will recover, can get the most for him (though possibly not until he has shown he still has it) and have shown we can cope without him. He's also a fair bit older.

fair enough. My only problem would be are clubs going to be interest in buying Dack or will they wait and see 1st. 

• Backroom

I'd be extremely wary of selling any defenders as we are yet to buy any decent permanent defenders. Tosin & Cunningham both loans and the latter got injured almost immediately. Mowbray has had a fair few transfer misfires up top as well but at least we seem to be willing to invest in the attacking side of the team... not so much the defensive side,

• Like 3

1 hour ago, JoeH said:

Talk on here of £5m not being "enough" for Nyambe is tosh for me. What on earth makes him worth more than £5m? I like him, he's improved a lot but he's still League One quality going forward. He can't cross, pass very well or shoot. Why would any Premier League side be looking to bring in that kind of full back? Not many full backs in the Premier League these days are shit going forward.

Those skills can and should be worked on. If you lack pace you lack pace full stop. Somebody with a good coaching set up would be able to work on his ball skills. What surprises me is that Johnno, who later in his career became an excellent attacking right back at Big Club, hasn't been able to improve him to any great degree. Maybe he's sat in front of the computer these days.

4 hours ago, chaddyrovers said:

We dont need 10 players this summer at all. 

If the 5 or 6 signings you bring any better quality then you will move up the league, plus we also need to bring through our academy players like Carter or Thompson. This also helps with FFP rules. 

They clearly don't see Thompson as anywhere good enough as is evident by the fact that he cannot make then bench even when Williams, Bell and JRC are all injured.

Defenders - Nyambe Lenihan new CB, new LB; Bennett Maglorie or Carter(with the other loan out), new CB, Bell

Have you not seen enough of Bennett at full back yet to realise that he is not good enough?

attacking midfielders - Buckley, Holtby, Rankin-Costello Dack Chapman, possible new winger

Buckley needs to go out on loan he is a million miles away from being ready for the Championship. As for Chapman I think it must be quite clear to everyone that the manager does not see him as an option. If he can't make the squad when we have 9 subs and a fair few injuries then when is he going to?

Centre Midfielders - Travis Downing Davenport Evans Johnson 

If you want to move up the League then you are going to need to improve that midfield. Evans cannot be relied upon, Downing is will be 36, Johnson has ability but is has not looked in shape all season. And Davenport needs to play between now and the end of the season to see if he is capable.

Strikers - Armstrong Gallagher Brereton Graham

I like Graham but come on the bloke is clearly past it, you can almost here him creaking every time he moves. He's only managed 3 goals this season and will be 35 soon, time to move on from him if we want to progress. That leaves us with only Armstrong who can score with any regularity, Brereton has one goal in nearly 2 years and Gallagher isn't much better and also is Gallagher a Striker? The manager does not appear to think so. 

Edited by Ewood Ace
  • Like 4

Just seen Angel Gomes been released by Man Utd , atticking midfielder only 19 years old , not a priority position I agree but certainly worth a look 

• Like 1

We need a lot of players in Summer.

2 x Goalkeepers are a given.

A left back, if not 2. Our current options there wouldnt even be second choice if I could help it. 

If Tosin goes back, 2 x CB. If he stays then we do need another. Williams ok as cover but need to be looking at better than that. Tom Clarke being released from Preston. Him alongside Darragh would be good. Also played a lot at left back I think? Or is it right back? Good CB all the same.

A creative midfielder to play alongside Travis (who is just magnificent). I like Evans; Johnson an option from the bench.  But it’s not enough over 46 games as we’re seeing now. Curtis Jones would be nice but think we need more experience. Off the top of my head someone similar to Adam Forshaw/Ryan Woods/Harry Arter.

An out and out actual winger or 2. With pace. Gallagher/Brereton aren’t the answer. And after 2 years TM has seen what majority of fans saw re: Armstrong being a striker. 

A striker who can actually score goals would be nice too. And a bit of a nasty streak. Defenders playing against us when Dack isn’t in the team must be a dream. All ‘nice lads’ but fuck all on the aggression front. It’s no wonder when teams make it hard for us we struggle (Wigan x2, Stoke, Luton, Birmingham, Charlton). Again, off the top of my head, someone in the Mitrovic/Juke style. (No I’m not saying spend 12mil on mitrovic before anyone starts)

As for departures, I’d be getting rid of/not renewing Bell Smallwood Mulgrew Bennett Davenport Chapman Rothwell Graham. Obviously I’d like to sell Gallagher/Brereton too but doubt there’s anyone that desperate out there. 

Only nailed on starters when fit for me are Lenihan Nyambe Tosin (if staying) Travis Dack (when fit), Downing (36 next year) and Armstrong. Rest is up for grabs.

1 hour ago, AJW said:

Just seen Angel Gomes been released by Man Utd , atticking midfielder only 19 years old , not a priority position I agree but certainly worth a look 

Inter Milan I think unfortunately.

?
1 hour ago, Mellor Rover said:

We need a lot of players in Summer.

2 x Goalkeepers are a given.

A left back, if not 2. Our current options there wouldnt even be second choice if I could help it. 

If Tosin goes back, 2 x CB. If he stays then we do need another. Williams ok as cover but need to be looking at better than that. Tom Clarke being released from Preston. Him alongside Darragh would be good. Also played a lot at left back I think? Or is it right back? Good CB all the same.

A creative midfielder to play alongside Travis (who is just magnificent). I like Evans; Johnson an option from the bench.  But it’s not enough over 46 games as we’re seeing now. Curtis Jones would be nice but think we need more experience. Off the top of my head someone similar to Adam Forshaw/Ryan Woods/Harry Arter.

An out and out actual winger or 2. With pace. Gallagher/Brereton aren’t the answer. And after 2 years TM has seen what majority of fans saw re: Armstrong being a striker. 

A striker who can actually score goals would be nice too. And a bit of a nasty streak. Defenders playing against us when Dack isn’t in the team must be a dream. All ‘nice lads’ but fuck all on the aggression front. It’s no wonder when teams make it hard for us we struggle (Wigan x2, Stoke, Luton, Birmingham, Charlton). Again, off the top of my head, someone in the Mitrovic/Juke style. (No I’m not saying spend 12mil on mitrovic before anyone starts)

As for departures, I’d be getting rid of/not renewing Bell Smallwood Mulgrew Bennett Davenport Chapman Rothwell Graham. Obviously I’d like to sell Gallagher/Brereton too but doubt there’s anyone that desperate out there. 

Only nailed on starters when fit for me are Lenihan Nyambe Tosin (if staying) Travis Dack (when fit), Downing (36 next year) and Armstrong. Rest is up for grabs.

Agreed. So much for TM's long term building strategy

17 minutes ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Agreed. So much for TM's long term building strategy

I was just thinking the same thing after reading Mellor Rover's summary.

To sum up, after X amount transfer windows building the squad, we need a new player in every position (in some cases, x2 players)

• Like 2

This also begs the question re TM's skill in the market and how optimistic we can be around the significant additions required.

I have been reading people's analyses of TM's transfer dealings and what percentage of successful buys should be considered a good return etc.

Statistics are one thing, but my own actual spectator experience is that TM's dealings do contain too much in the way of disappointments/dross...Johnson, Gallagher, Brereton, Samuel, Rothwell, Bell, Hart, Gladwin and Chapman all fit into that category for me. 

It is a significant worry for the future.

Edited by Leonard Venkhater
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

They clearly don't see Thompson as anywhere good enough as is evident by the fact that he cannot make then bench even when Williams, Bell and JRC are all injured.

Well Mowbray rated him highly and I believe they want like him to go out on loan next season to play a full season of regular football. He is training with the 1st team so he might get on the bench shortly. 

Buckley needs to go out on loan he is a million miles away from being ready for the Championship.

I would keep him here and play him regular. Big future at the club. 

If you want to move up the League then you are going to need to improve that midfield. Evans cannot be relied upon, Downing is will be 36, Johnson has ability but is has not looked in shape all season. And Davenport needs to play between now and the end of the season to see if he is capable.

if we are going to playing this 4-3-3 long term then you would only playing Travis with Buckley and Downing or Rothwell. If that's the case then where does Dack play? what is the future of him considering our FFP status and we might need to raise money to meet this

I like Graham but come on the bloke is clearly past it, you can almost here him creaking every time he moves. He's only managed 3 goals this season and will be 35 soon, time to move on from him if we want to progress. That leaves us with only Armstrong who can score with any regularity, Brereton has one goal in nearly 2 years and Gallagher isn't much better and also is Gallagher a Striker? The manager does not appear to think so. 

I would give Graham a new 12 months deal. Gives a plan B. 

Armstrong is our best striker at the club. Been saying this for months and almost 12 months. 

Gallagher is playing as wide striker in 4-3-3 system thats Mowbray wants to play

If we stick with 433 I think the personnel breaks down this way

False 9 :  Dack, Holtby, Buckley, Graham?

Wide Strikers : Gallagher, Brereton,  Armstrong, Samuel

Flanking centre mids : Travis, Evans, Johnson, Rothwell, Davenport

CM playmaker : Downing, Holtby?

RB : Nyambe, Bennett

LB : Bell, JRC

CB : Lenihan, Tosin, Williams

GK : Walton, Leut

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Well Mowbray rated him highly and I believe they want like him to go out on loan next season to play a full season of regular football. He is training with the 1st team so he might get on the bench shortly. 

I would keep him here and play him regular. Big future at the club. 

if we are going to playing this 4-3-3 long term then you would only playing Travis with Buckley and Downing or Rothwell. If that's the case then where does Dack play? what is the future of him considering our FFP status and we might need to raise money to meet this

I would give Graham a new 12 months deal. Gives a plan B. 

Armstrong is our best striker at the club. Been saying this for months and almost 12 months. 

Gallagher is playing as wide striker in 4-3-3 system thats Mowbray wants to play

The 4-3-3 should be ditched, 2 of our only 3 competent attackers are number 10s so why come up with a formation that doesnt include one?

Gallagher cannot play that wide striker role as much as Bennett cannot play at left back.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

The 4-3-3 should be ditched, 2 of our only 3 competent attackers are number 10s so why come up with a formation that doesnt include one?

Gallagher cannot play that wide striker role as much as Bennett cannot play at left back.

When you decide on a way of playing and then you start shoehorning players into it normally it doesn't work. You need to look at what your players particular skills are and design your way of playing to suit them. For example if you've got three really good centre halves but no wing backs and you want to play three at the back you've got to either get your wing backs in from somewhere or come up with another system etc. There's no point playing it with the likes of Nyambe and Williams for instance.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

When you decide on a way of playing and then you start shoehorning players into it normally it doesn't work. You need to look at what your players particular skills are and design your way of playing to suit them. For example if you've got three really good centre halves but no wing backs and you want to play three at the back you've got to either get your wing backs in from somewhere or come up with another system etc. There's no point playing it with the likes of Nyambe and Williams for instance.

I think it is difficult to come up with a formation to suit an imbalanced squad full stop. Defensively, we have 2 good centre backs, one on loan, and one very injury prone third CB also needed at LB. We have one solitary good full back, a fairly defensive right back. We have 3 or 4 who can play in central midfield, a position of strength in the number 10 role too, absolutely no competent wide men, and one goalscoring pacy striker who can also play wide. Some good players in there but overall, how on earth do you play them!

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

I'm not sure we've had 3 really good centre backs in the entity of Venkys time here. Having two has been a tall order! But I get your point. 

Also to highlight it speaks volumes as to the recruitment. If we wanted to play this way why not buy players who fit the system. The sooner Dack is back and forces him to go back to a formation that generally works the better.