BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

1 minute ago, roversfan99 said:

I think it is difficult to come up with a formation to suit an imbalanced squad full stop. Defensively, we have 2 good centre backs, one on loan, and one very injury prone third CB also needed at LB. We have one solitary good full back, a fairly defensive right back. We have 3 or 4 who can play in central midfield, a position of strength in the number 10 role too, absolutely no competent wide men, and one goalscoring pacy striker who can also play wide. Some good players in there but overall, how on earth do you play them!

He's been here ages and he still hasn't got a coherent way of playing, a balanced squad, a way of coming back into games from a losing position, any idea of his best 11. Apart from that he's doing a great job.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

He's been here ages and he still hasn't got a coherent way of playing, a balanced squad, a way of coming back into games from a losing position, any idea of his best 11. Apart from that he's doing a great job.

He has also started losing the crowd

Just now, rigger said:

He has also started losing the crowd

If we had a really hard nosed board and I was on it I would have recommended that we fired him at the end of the promotion season. I'd no confidence that he could take us any further at the time. In spite of winning plenty of games we only seemed to be able to play well in 30 minute spells. That was good enough against weak opposition. It was never going to be good enough in this division.

Just now, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If we had a really hard nosed board and I was on it I would have recommended that we fired him at the end of the promotion season. I'd no confidence that he could take us any further at the time. In spite of winning plenty of games we only seemed to be able to play well in 30 minute spells. That was good enough against weak opposition. It was never going to be good enough in this division.

He used to make believable statements. Now he seems to be coming out with a lot more bollocks.

• Like 1

You would have thought with any other club that now would be the time to change manager and allow the new man 5 games to determine who should stay and what we need to mount a challenge for next season, abit like when Souness was appointed.

Also if we are going to use Brentford as our new template for transfers etc, we will need a whole new back office setup, so you would think trying to poach Rasmus Ankersen from Brentford to set it all up would be a good idea or at the very least someone similar.

1 hour ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

When you decide on a way of playing and then you start shoehorning players into it normally it doesn't work. You need to look at what your players particular skills are and design your way of playing to suit them. For example if you've got three really good centre halves but no wing backs and you want to play three at the back you've got to either get your wing backs in from somewhere or come up with another system etc. There's no point playing it with the likes of Nyambe and Williams for instance.

Well I think if you asked Mowbray he would tell you Gallagher and Brereton on the wing does work. He's absolutely convinced about it. The formation is custom made, in Tony's mind, to get the best out of his players. I mean what is clear is Tony spent £10M on those two to play this wide striker role which seems to me and many as utterly mental, but that is his judgement.

As for whether we should persevere with it I'm in two minds. Did look very effective against Bristol City who just couldn't cope at all, and while we lost against Wigan we totally bossed it until Travis went off and should have won the game. The freedom it gives Downing is excellent. But equally Gallagher and Brereton on the wings an absolute joke from a footballing perspective. Brereton has started to look better but all he can do is dribble a bit and then lose the ball. Gallgher can be effective defensively but offensively is totally abject. Have either of them had a decent shot in the last two games?

I guess it's one of those formations which people will tolerate as long as we win, but if we aren't getting the results it's a focal point for criticism. But Tony's set his stall out, can't see him changing it unless we get hammered.

• Like 2

So looking at it, we need to sign 7 first choice players this summer and a couple of squad players?

Do we know if our loan for Cunningham had a commitment to buy him in the summer, as that should at least sort the left back position. 

4 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

The 4-3-3 should be ditched, 2 of our only 3 competent attackers are number 10s so why come up with a formation that doesnt include one?

Gallagher cannot play that wide striker role as much as Bennett cannot play at left back.

We dont what going on with Dack whether he going to stay or willing we need to sell him or other players to meet FFP rules. EFL havent made any comment on relaxing the rules. I want to see them scrap personally. 

I dont mind the 4-3-3 formation as soon. We need to tweak the way we play it. If we are going to play this system long term and then we need to be playing at under 18's and under 23's levels. We have to start bringing in more and more of our own players through the system,. 

He started playing this way to make sure we dont get over run in midfield again like we did at Derby away. And also Downing is our playmaker in there . The top 5 teams in the league play this formation. 

We all knew Bennett isn't a left back but it was as 4th choice and then we didn't have to move Downing from deep playmaker role, 

Edited by chaddyrovers

49 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

We dont what going on with Dack whether he going to stay or willing we need to sell him or other players to meet FFP rules. EFL havent made any comment on relaxing the rules. I want to see them scrap personally. 

I dont mind the 4-3-3 formation as soon. We need to tweak the way we play it. If we are going to play this system long term and then we need to be playing at under 18's and under 23's levels. We have to start bringing in more and more of our own players through the system,. 

He started playing this way to make sure we dont get over run in midfield again like we did at Derby away. And also Downing is our playmaker in there . The top 5 teams in the league play this formation. 

We all knew Bennett isn't a left back but it was as 4th choice and then we didn't have to move Downing from deep playmaker role, 

Surely you would go with the 433 tomorrow then and work on it consistently rather than go back to the 4231 you endorsed that i had recommended.

26 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Surely you would go with the 433 tomorrow then and work on it consistently rather than go back to the 4231 you endorsed that i had recommended.

Depends who available tomorrow and With the team up pick we could play 4-3-3 anyway. Agree on the team you pick. Travis, Davenport and Rothwell in CM with Holtby from the right, Armstrong centre and Brereton from the left. I just want to win tomorrow. 

I am talking more long term in terms of formation but Mowbray has decide on the way forward and make sure his signings fit this formation and style. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

Against Wigan we'd have been better off putting Downing to left back and letting Bennett run around in midfield and put a foot in now and again. There wasn't going to be much playmaking going on when we play Wigan

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Against Wigan we'd have been better off putting Downing to left back and letting Bennett run around in midfield and put a foot in now and again. There wasn't going to be much playmaking going on when we play Wigan

Even if Downing as preferred was at LB, Bennett would be behind Travis, Johnson, Davenport, Holtby, Rothwell etc in CM.

We are being linked to swedish defender Linus Wahlqvist by Kicker.de

"Wahlqvists contract does not apply to the 3rd division

Wahlqvist had switched from the Swedish first division club IFK Norrköping to the Elbe two years ago and had signed a four-year contract in Dresden until 2022. However, this is not valid for the 3rd league. Therefore, the 23-year-old can switch free of charge. In addition to Paderborn, CD Leganes, penultimate of the Spanish Primera Division, and the English second division trio Blackburn Rovers, FC Millwall and FC Reading are also said to be interested in the Sweden."

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Swanson said:

We are being linked to swedish defender Linus Wahlqvist by Kicker.de

"Wahlqvists contract does not apply to the 3rd division

Wahlqvist had switched from the Swedish first division club IFK Norrköping to the Elbe two years ago and had signed a four-year contract in Dresden until 2022. However, this is not valid for the 3rd league. Therefore, the 23-year-old can switch free of charge. In addition to Paderborn, CD Leganes, penultimate of the Spanish Primera Division, and the English second division trio Blackburn Rovers, FC Millwall and FC Reading are also said to be interested in the Sweden."

Thanks for sharing.

How you seen much of him? What type of player is he? 

• Backroom
15 hours ago, JoeH said:

I don't know about Yannis N'gakoutou and the legitimacy of that link, but what I do know is that we NEED a back up right-back. We can't keep going full seasons without a back up right back. It's self-inflicting losses when Nyambe isn't fit that we just don't need to be inflicting.

Hope we sign him, there’s good potential for a chant to ‘the animals went in two by two’ there 

Yannis N'gakoutou Hoorah Hoorah!

Yannis N'gakoutou Hoorah Hoorah!

Yannis N'gakoutou, Dack and Holtby, Nyambe too, we’re all going to the premier league cause Rovers are back again!

• Like 1

On 29/06/2020 at 04:53, chaddyrovers said:

I think he would perfect at Palace IMO. Both of their right back are 30 years old and only 1 year left on contract. 

plus it would help us FFP if we are that close if there is no relaxing of FFP rules

sounds like you want him sold.

I have been a strong Nyambe fan over the years, even when many others were on his back. Do think his development stalled for a bit under certain managers but he has always come across a bit differently to most modern day footballers. Seems a nice kid who while a little shy, has the attributes needed to be a top quality fullback. This season alone, i feel he has come on leaps and bounds. Still does not quite have the end product but is becoming a big asset to the team. If he can sort out his end product, we have a serious player on our hands.

18 hours ago, JoeH said:

Talk on here of £5m not being "enough" for Nyambe is tosh for me. What on earth makes him worth more than £5m? I like him, he's improved a lot but he's still League One quality going forward. He can't cross, pass very well or shoot. Why would any Premier League side be looking to bring in that kind of full back? Not many full backs in the Premier League these days are shit gnoing forward.

You have never rated Nyambe so not  surprise to see this. You were once championing Bennett over him, which is insane when you look at them both now. One is a player that has shown that if you play him he gets better and develops, the other just dives in and gives away penalties and freekicks- he gives fist pumps to the fans though, so all is forgiven.