BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

17 hours ago, Mellor Rover said:

We need a lot of players in Summer.

2 x Goalkeepers are a given.

A left back, if not 2. Our current options there wouldnt even be second choice if I could help it. 

If Tosin goes back, 2 x CB. If he stays then we do need another. Williams ok as cover but need to be looking at better than that. Tom Clarke being released from Preston. Him alongside Darragh would be good. Also played a lot at left back I think? Or is it right back? Good CB all the same.

A creative midfielder to play alongside Travis (who is just magnificent). I like Evans; Johnson an option from the bench.  But it’s not enough over 46 games as we’re seeing now. Curtis Jones would be nice but think we need more experience. Off the top of my head someone similar to Adam Forshaw/Ryan Woods/Harry Arter.

An out and out actual winger or 2. With pace. Gallagher/Brereton aren’t the answer. And after 2 years TM has seen what majority of fans saw re: Armstrong being a striker. 

A striker who can actually score goals would be nice too. And a bit of a nasty streak. Defenders playing against us when Dack isn’t in the team must be a dream. All ‘nice lads’ but fuck all on the aggression front. It’s no wonder when teams make it hard for us we struggle (Wigan x2, Stoke, Luton, Birmingham, Charlton). Again, off the top of my head, someone in the Mitrovic/Juke style. (No I’m not saying spend 12mil on mitrovic before anyone starts)

As for departures, I’d be getting rid of/not renewing Bell Smallwood Mulgrew Bennett Davenport Chapman Rothwell Graham. Obviously I’d like to sell Gallagher/Brereton too but doubt there’s anyone that desperate out there. 

Only nailed on starters when fit for me are Lenihan Nyambe Tosin (if staying) Travis Dack (when fit), Downing (36 next year) and Armstrong. Rest is up for grabs.

Good post. I would take Mitrovic for the 12 mil we spent on BB and DG in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

I believe Tony likes 3 at the back and this Wharton can play it fairly well....good attacking threat from set pieces and a decent throw.

One of my mates is mates with him, and apparently Tony hasn’t properly given him a look in before now because he’s ‘not big enough’, so could be anyone’s guess if he’s in the squad plans for the first team for next season.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JacknOry said:

You have never rated Nyambe so not  surprise to see this.

Since when? HAHAHAHAHA I thought he was bang average until 18/19 where he improved a lot, and has continued that improvement now. "Never" rated him is ridiculous? I just don't think asking for more than £5m for a wing-back who can't pass, shoot or cross is stupid. A powerful, fast and more than competent right-back, but not a PL one yet.

There was a time you know when Nyambe would make mistakes on a weekly basis, and there was at least a genuine discussion to be had about his starting spot, those days are long gone, and to suggest my arguments about his value now in 2020 are somehow marred by his abilities in 2017-2018 is silly.

8 minutes ago, schoey said:

One of my mates is mates with him, and apparently Tony hasn’t properly given him a look in before now because he’s ‘not big enough’, so could be anyone’s guess if he’s in the squad plans for the first team for next season.

Industry code for "he doesn't rate him". He looks a big enough lad and I'd put him streets ahead of Del...he will be a goal threat from corners ers etc.  If I were him I'd stop where I'm appreciated. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JoeH said:

I just don't think asking for more than £5m for a wing-back who can't pass, shoot or cross is stupid. A powerful, fast and more than competent right-back, but not a PL one yet..

For me this is where Mowbray and his staff haven't developed Ryan properly.  3 years ago he was getting down the line, beating a man but his final ball was lacking quality.....I see no evidence of him improving in this area.

Personally I believe if the right manager has faith in him, develops his weaknesses then he can play at Premier league level week in week out.

Instead Mowbray has screwed him up by puttin Bennett ahead of him........

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, schoey said:

If that's true it's nonsense. How big was Henning Berg ?  Two of the smallest guys I remember playing up front for Rovers were two players I wouldn't want to play against , Paul Dickov and David Speedie. Are we signing players purely on account of their size now ? Maybe that accounts for him signing BB or SG. They're big enough alright, until the ball is in the air,  but unfortunately they're not good enough.

I can see Wharton being another O'Connell., remember him ?

Edited by Tyrone Shoelaces

2 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

If that's true it's nonsense. How big was Henning Berg ?  Two of the smallest guys I remember playing up front for Rovers were two players I wouldn't want to play against , Paul Dickov and David Speedie. Are we signing players purely on account of their size now ? Maybe that accounts for him signing BB or SG. They're big enough alright, until the ball is in the air,  but unfortunately they're not good enough.

I can see Wharton being another O'Connell., remember him ?

I totally agree, it’s madness. But I guess he could’ve meant he needed to bulk up as he is quite lean? Or that’s what I’m hoping he meant, as from seeing Wharton play (and now getting 3 promotions), I think he deserves a go in the squad on merit.

Let's be real though, if we have any serious aspirations of promotion, we shouldn't be considering putting in a League Two/League One quality centre back purely because he's our academy lad and he's won three play off finals...

6 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Let's be real though, if we have any serious aspirations of promotion, we shouldn't be considering putting in a League Two/League One quality centre back purely because he's our academy lad and he's won three play off finals...

He should be first back up instead of Del.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JoeH said:

How long was O'Connell bumping along at Rochdale ? I've no axe to grind with Wharton , he may or may not be good enough, all I'm saying is he should be given a shot back at the club before we write him off completely.

Regarding size, I don't mind a lean centre half, Colin Hendry wasn't massively built. Lean players should be quicker over the ground and they definitely turn quicker. It's what's beating under the badge that counts. Lot's of big guys are softies under the shirt. Give me a small nasty bastard any day. It's a good job nobody told Nobby Stiles he wasn't big enough.

• Like 4

Just now, Sparks Rover said:

He should be first back up instead of Del.

Why? Del's not great but his CV, experience and known abilities outweigh Wharton's completely. Again I believe the emotional sentiment is carrying over too heavily here. Wharton made his debut for us in 2016, if he was ever going to be a player for our first team it would've happened by now. The time has passed and he simply isn't ever going to be that guy for us, we need to let him go for the sake of his career.

48 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Why? Del's not great but his CV, experience and known abilities outweigh Wharton's completely. Again I believe the emotional sentiment is carrying over too heavily here. Wharton made his debut for us in 2016, if he was ever going to be a player for our first team it would've happened by now. The time has passed and he simply isn't ever going to be that guy for us, we need to let him go for the sake of his career.

Look at Tarkowski at Burnley. His early career record isn't exactly glowing but he's going well in the Prem. Centre halves mature later than most other outfield players.

• Like 5

Seriously though, common sense needs to prevail here. Scott Wharton is a League Two footballer right now, probably of League One ability. We're a Top 6 chasing Championship team, and if we have ANY ambitions whatsoever of getting promoted, even entering a discussion about using a defender of that calibre in our side is just crap.

He made his debut in 2016, has played under countless managers and been on countless loan spells. TM isn't the only manager to not "give him his break".

Does it make sense to keep a lad who's nearly 23-years-old at the club who's clearly not good enough for our side? Cut the guy loose and put him out of his loan misery, let him find a League One club and really kickstart his career in football. Baffling me this.

4 minutes ago, Tyrone Shoelaces said:

Look at Tarkowski at Burnley. He's early career record isn't exactly glowing but he's going well in the Prem. Centre halves mature later than most other outfield players.

We need promotion quality defenders NOW, not when Scott Wharton turns 29 in 6 years time.

To put this into perspective, Ben Brereton just turned 21, Scott Wharton is about to turn 23. One is putting in competent performances in a Championship team, and the other is putting in competent performances for a League Two team. Yet you'll find more people who want to get Scotty Wharton back to Ewood than you'll find people who think Ben Brereton WILL come good.

Breo has two years on him and still faces more criticism, cynical attitudes and WAY more expectations. If we could all just apply the same logic and the same attention to detail with Wharton, we'd be able to agree that yeah... Maybe it's time to give up on Wharton??

Ben Brereton - 21
Adam Armstrong - 23
Ryan Nyambe - 22
Lewis Travis - 22

Scott Wharton (22 - 23 soon)

Just look at that and compare. If he was going to be good enough, even nearly good enough for our first team, he would've been by now. 

On 04/09/2019 at 23:48, tomphil said:

The shopping list should be pretty much the same as its been for the past 3 years which says a lot.

Are defenders coming this time ?  Or the experienced commanding keeper ?

I'll confidently take a punt right now and say we'll sign no one ?

I can understand why you are saying that but this year there will be many players available on free’s.  I think there ar3 many teams in danger of going bust, so this year is a little bit different.

Having said that, do I think Mowbray will recruit wisely, probably no.

13 minutes ago, JoeH said:

To put this into perspective, Ben Brereton just turned 21, Scott Wharton is about to turn 23. One is putting in competent performances in a Championship team, and the other is putting in competent performances for a League Two team. Yet you'll find more people who want to get Scotty Wharton back to Ewood than you'll find people who think Ben Brereton WILL come good.

Breo has two years on him and still faces more criticism, cynical attitudes and WAY more expectations. If we could all just apply the same logic and the same attention to detail with Wharton, we'd be able to agree that yeah... Maybe it's time to give up on Wharton??

" One is putting in competent performances in a Championship team " ? That must be in a parallel universe far away.

Will he make it? I don’t think he will here, but as a centre half he has time on his side to carve out a good career. .

It’s not as simple as just listing players ages and Championships appearances. BB has been largely crap in his for us, but has been persevered with because of the price tag, if he was out of our own academy he would have been loaned out to the lower leagues without question. Lewis Travis was a Smallwood sending off away from spending half of last season in League 1.

Would he have developed to the player he is now if he had? There’s a big element of luck and sliding doors for young players...

Edited by Mattyblue
  • Like 6

1 hour ago, 4000Holes said:

I can understand why you are saying that but this year there will be many players available on free’s.  I think there ar3 many teams in danger of going bust, so this year is a little bit different.

Having said that, do I think Mowbray will recruit wisely, probably no.

I said that back in September it's an old post. Things have changed considerably and if they can grant a budget similar to last season it's game on taking into account what you've just pointed out.

Like you though I don't think we'll take advantage of it. It's there's enough in the pot the first thing TM will probably do is chuck new contracts at his mates.

If it means tying up some of the good ones and youth a bit longer then fair enough. I can see deadwood being handed a lifeline again though.

That isn't progress.

Edited by tomphil