BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

6 minutes ago, JoeH said:

If anybody wants to try and defend Scott Wharton I can understand it, I'm a huge believer in our youth, but a player turning 23 isn't for me a "youth" player anymore and shouldn't be treated like an Amazon package in special bubble wrap.

Wharton is clearly competent, but evidently not for a Top 6 chasing Championship side, as shown by his lack of inclusion under several managers at Blackburn Rovers and his bang average ability in League One and Two sides.

3x League Two promotions is awesome for him (and the clubs he's been on loan at), but look like nothing in comparison to the career's that some of our other younger players have had already who are in our first team.

For me, if you're comparing the clubs top goalscorer to a defender who can't get into our side, out on loan at a League Two team, and coming up with the result "Wharton's done more than Armstrong" then I have a right to be dismissive of that, because its nonsensical.

You are an advocate of the under 23s but for some reason if a player has had first team experience especially elsewhere they arent cut the same slack which I dont understand.

For example, despite being a few years younger, you claimed that because Davenport had already spent time on loan (successfully) in the Championship and had come through at City, he shouldnt be treated in the same way as Tom White, a few years older and who had come from non league. You also didnt want Chapman playing for the under 23s even though he was around the same age as the players alongside him in the under 23s.

Wharton is clearly in the best place of all of our centre backs regarding competing for a first team place having had 3 promotions from League 2 and 80 games. None of the others compare,  Magloire has had 2 appearances for us and really struggled physically I felt, Grayson a cup game in which he really struggled v a League 2 team and Platt who has been in non league. I dont think anyone could realistically expect Wharton to come into our first team but surely hes worth at least considering and looking at to be 3rd or 4th choice if he has grown physically baring in mind the quality of our defenders aside from Lenihan and Nyambe and of course the current economic situation. If he did come back and didnt make a squad for example he could dip back into the reserves as and when necessary.

Obviously the comparisons to Armstrong are nonsensical.

30 minutes ago, JoeH said:

Wharton is clearly competent, but evidently not for a Top 6 chasing Championship side, as shown by his lack of inclusion under several managers at Blackburn Rovers and his bang average ability in League One and Two sides.

Was Ethan Pinnock a top 6 player when he Barnsley last season in league 1 now Brentford 1st centre half

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

Was Ethan Pinnock a top 6 player when he Barnsley last season in league 1 now Brentford 1st centre half

Looks a good player does Pinnock.  I'm convinced there's good players like that who could easily step up....

Wharton should be brought back and start next season in the squad and involved.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Mr. E said:

We'll be giving Joe Hart a look, right? Remember how Friedel was discarded by Liverpool before we took him. If there was quality once, and motivation, it can be reignited. 

Always said Hart will be a good fit for us.  A few on here don't rate him....

For 5k per week Hart would be worth a punt i don't rate him but at this level he can't be any worse than what we've had or what else we are likely to have foisted onto our books.

£15k or more pwk no thanks.

4 hours ago, Sparks Rover said:

Always said Hart will be a good fit for us.  A few on here don't rate him....

Do you think he is a realistically option for us Sparks?

If we could rebuild his confidence he would be good signing. 

Edited by chaddyrovers

2 hours ago, Ewood Ace said:

I don't rate him but beggars can't be choosers and he is substantially better than Walton or anyone else we have at the club.

Nothing from the last several years backs that assertion up.

And since we are beggars as you say, we don't have money to take the gamble on his form from longer ago returning.

There are better keepers somewhere out there for a lot less money. The focus needs to be on finding those.

Edited by bluebruce

Hart still thinks he is premier league quality and should be in the Burnley team. He's delusional and would no way stoop to a lowly championship club. 

He's also not very good. Crap in fact, premier league second keeper standard not even good enough for any odius premiership team that plays in claret. That speaks volumes. He's rubbish. 

That said he's still head and shoulders above Walton and Steele so would be an improvement for us. (Probably better than Raya too right now but their trajectories may mean that changes soon.)

No doubt Hart is better than anybody we have at the club...Walton shouldn't even be selected now ...

Will be a bit like Robinson , possibly get a season out of him , then he will decline rapidly ....

Also , he will be to big a character for Mowbray to handle..

34 minutes ago, Blue blood said:

He's also not very good. Crap in fact, premier league second keeper standard not even good enough for any odius premiership team that plays in claret. That speaks volumes. He's rubbish. 

Come on man, Hughsey, Sven, Mancini etc were all happy with him, so was England. Pep screwed him up proper with his tiki taki bollards and suddenly his confidence goes and i suspect a psychologist would help him.   

Maybe a nice cosy club like ours with no competition for a place would be exactly what' he needs.

8 hours ago, OnePhilT said:

With a punt for £5k a week? Hart wouldn't get out of bed for £5K a week!

Well we are safe then.

Might have escaped your attention but there might well be a huge reduction and n wages incoming. Not sure he's in a great position to choose unless he goes abroad.

He should be worth a few quid so the chance to be a guaranteed no 1 at a local club for a few years might appeal over money.

Then again who am I kidding ...

Jack Rodwell came here after years of mega contracts and he comes across generally as not someone particularly arsed about playing every week.

I actually could see Hart turning out in the Championship as he does seem desperate to play.

If he wants big money again then he'll have to get some lucrative gig in some minor league somewhere abroad. Or he's spending the rest of his career as a Prem no 2 or 3.

If he wants regular selection he'll have to get real and play for less than 20 grand a week i reckon. His stock isn't high and money might be scarce at the type of clubs that would welcome him straight in as a number 1.

I think Hart would be great. 

He's definitely a good enough keeper to be an improvement and he will bring in a wealth of experience and the chance to have a genuine leader at the back - something that we haven't had since Robinson (at best). 

It all depends on his attitude, but if he sees this as an opportunity to come back and prove himself then it is just the type of thing we should be going after. 

• Like 1

He doesn't mention any clubs by name, but our best centreback prospect Leo Skiri Østigård says there is interest in him from both the Championship and Bundesliga.

He played for St.Pauli this season and had some very good reviews. He is owned by Brighton and has 1 year left on his contract, but he says he unsure of if he is being sold or loaned out again. I know we scouted the 2 Bundesliga last season, maybe we have watched him as well?

Would be a good replacement for Tosin.

• Like 1