BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

2 minutes ago, Lie_still_Rover said:

Evans, Smallwood & possibly Bennett need to be moved on if we're serious about promotion. 

You could then bring in 1 good centre mid, someone like Reed for instance.. 

Much more bothered about our goalkeeper and defence situation. Followed by our goalscoring options.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Have I missed something? We haven't signed Bialkowski as far as I know. It's a rumour, that was reported a few days ago and doesn't seem to have come up again since.

I'll take an upgrade on Walton for now. Which he is if we get him.

An upgrade on Walton won't take much though, he's dreadful. 

We sold Raya and can't afford to replace him. That's the cut & thrust of it. That is called weakening your side.. A good keeper is worth their weight in gold.. 

• Like 1

Just now, Lie_still_Rover said:

An upgrade on Walton won't take much though, he's dreadful. 

We sold Raya and can't afford to replace him. That's the cut & thrust of it. That is called weakening your side.. A good keeper is worth their weight in gold.. 

Can't disagree there. It was an awful decision that I strongly criticised. But now we have Walton, temporarily, and we need as much of an improvement as we can get. And then another one in the summer, kicking the Canadian out.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Yep.

With only Travis, Johnson, Evan's, Smallwood, Davenport, Holtby, Rothwell, Downing, Chapman, Bennett and Buckley to choose from I think it's pretty obvious we need a 12th choice midfielder.

To be fair, I’d only class 3 of them as anything near useful in Holtby Travis and Downing. 

8 minutes ago, Lie_still_Rover said:

I'd like Rothwell in a central position dictating play. 

Perhaps a 3-5-2 with wingers whipping the ball in to the box for Gallagher and Graham. 

I think that's a better shout trying to fill Dacks void.. 

Not sure Rothwell has dictating play in his toolbox. He can play some lovely passes sometimes, but his vision is the tunnel kind, generally.

Agree a formation change is probably needed in Dack's absence though.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

We should just go the Huddersfield route, scrap the academy and just get Utd/Liverpool/Citeh cast offs at 16/17.  

You would wonder which is more successful alright. I suppose the academy does ,hopefully,instill some loyalty to the club, but what's that worth these days I suppose 

9 minutes ago, Lie_still_Rover said:

Perhaps a 3-5-2 with wingers whipping the ball in to the box for Gallagher and Graham. 

You seem to like players that run around like headless chickens ahead of those that can read the game and win the ball for us 

49 minutes ago, Lie_still_Rover said:

So in 1 season we've gone from having arguably the most talented young keeper outside the top flight to a 32 year old on loan from Ipswich to Millwall. 

Fuck my life. I wonder what Brentfords asking price is for Raya now? I guarantee it would be significantly more than we sold him for... 

I want an upgrade on Raya in this window. Not happening though is it

Firstly you're bigging up Raya far more than you should.

Secondly Bialkowski is exactly what we need between the sticks, young keepers aren't really working out.

Edited by Ossydave

Mowbray wants to emulate Brentford in the market

I find it odd to see how much he rates Brentford for buying cheap and selling at big profits. Did that not give him pause for thought when selling Raya? That maybe, just maybe, they knew what they were doing paying that price for him?

The talk of buying cheap potential is odd again when you remember Brereton and Gallagher. I'd like to think it means he has learnt from those mistakes...but I doubt it.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ossydave said:

You know what I meant.

Classic rovers fan mentality on here bigging players up when they've left and ignoring all their flaws (that still blatantly exist)?

I was and continue to be a massive fan. Think he's class. 

Anyway..  Let's wait and see. I quite like Mowbray. Hope he can pull something out the bag.. 

6 hours ago, roversfan99 said:

He was, but he has done absolutely nothing for the club and was (justifiably) paid for 18 months. (well 24 if you take into account the 6 months when he was fit but rarely played as he wasnt up to it)

Unles there is a legal obligaton, as a club quite clearly with no money to play around with, it is very difficult to justify giving a pity 6 month contract to a player full stop, never mind one that has never done anything to warrant such a gesture when we are skint.

we aren't skint at all, But Mowbray has a budget to keep to just like any other football club or business. Dyche at Burnley has said he hasn't even been told his budget for the window yet. 

We will make signings but not spending much. Maybe 3 players in total I reckon we sign

3 hours ago, OldEwoodBlue said:

Mowbray says focus could be on the lower leagues for new recruits, but that figures being quoted in the early weeks of the window have priced Rovers out.

Confirmation we can't even afford to shop in poundland. Close the thread.

That's why you play the waiting game and not over spend. 

Such an over reaction cos we have signed anyone yet. 

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

We should just go the Huddersfield route, scrap the academy and just get Utd/Liverpool/Citeh cast offs at 16/17.  

no way. Keep the academy. 

35 minutes ago, Lie_still_Rover said:

Blimey, did you not see him in the cup at Birmingham? At Huddersfield he spent the first half on the wing and barely touched the ball. That was an improvement on his game at Birmingham - at least at Huddersfield he wasn't messing anything up.

2 minutes ago, only2garners said:

Blimey, did you not see him in the cup at Birmingham? At Huddersfield he spent the first half on the wing and barely touched the ball. That was an improvement on his game at Birmingham - at least at Huddersfield he wasn't messing anything up.

To be honest I missed the bulk of those games. We were up in Scotland for Christmas. 

I see Rothwell as a game changer. But totally respect what you're saying. Hopefully that's just a blip.. 

Rothwell's first instinct is always to run with the ball and try to beat players - that's why a lot of people have got excited about him. But there is just not enough end product. At Huddersfield he was out of the game until about 5 minutes from half time when he twice picked the ball up and beat a player or two before giving the ball away. He might as well be more like Smallwood and give it away quicker to speed the game up.

He doesn't yet seem to have the nous to pick and choose when to run, when to pick out a killer pass and when to just move the ball. Sat in the middle of the park he just gives the ball away too much.

• Like 6

23 minutes ago, bluebruce said:

Mowbray wants to emulate Brentford in the market

I find it odd to see how much he rates Brentford for buying cheap and selling at big profits. Did that not give him pause for thought when selling Raya? That maybe, just maybe, they knew what they were doing paying that price for him?

The talk of buying cheap potential is odd again when you remember Brereton and Gallagher. I'd like to think it means he has learnt from those mistakes...but I doubt it.

7 minutes ago, chaddyrovers said:

That's why you play the waiting game and not over spend. 

The danger with this is you panic, like we did. Most clubs do wait to be fair,but the best business is generally done early.