BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

19 minutes ago, Lie_still_Rover said:

Evans, Smallwood & possibly Bennett need to be moved on if we're serious about promotion. 

You could then bring in 1 good centre mid, someone like Reed for instance.. 

Not so much of the "possibly" where Bennett is concerned please.

I can see it, you can, Mowbray can't.

And as has been pointed out, that's not even the priority position any more now we don't even have a decent keeper or striker.

So to summarise, no keeper, no LB, one centre half of our own, a RB who is more often than not overlooked to shoehorn Bennett in, eleven midfielders of which arguably only Travis you would have complete confidence in,  and no decent strikers.

What a mess we're in after 3 years of Mowbray in charge. This is why he needs to go imo, never mind any guff about being "only four points outside the play offs" it might as well be fourteen.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Sparks Rover said:

We should just go the Huddersfield route, scrap the academy and just get Utd/Liverpool/Citeh cast offs at 16/17.  

Dont agree with that at all. 

Arguably other than Dack and 36 year old Downing, the only decent players we have (Lenihan, Nyambe, Travis and before him Raya) are or were academy products.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lie_still_Rover said:

What's Hanley upto?... 

According to a mutual acquaintance he came up for talks in the summer expecting to join but perhaps not surprisingly we couldn't agree terms so can't see that one being a runner any time soon.

I agree he'd be ideal though

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

Arguably other than Dack and 36 year old Downing, the only decent players we have (Lenihan, Nyambe, Travis and before him Raya) are or were academy products.

Well, Travis was mopped up from Liverpool at 16. Raya at about 17 from UE Cornella in Spain. Lenihan at about 17 from Belvedere in Ireland. Of those, just Nyambe came all the way through our Academy. So the poster might potentially have a point about just mopping up kids from elsewhere at 16/17.

Still rather we ran an Academy too though.

Edited by bluebruce
  • Like 2

“I hope he can (become a regular source of goals), and I hope we can also add a goalscorer to our squad as well."

Mowbray has said this today, I am glad that we are prioritising the improvement of our impotent Dack-less attack. Saying that, its embarassing that we are going to do it with no money after his 2 major previous attempts at doing this have led to us having 2 woeful strikers!

1 hour ago, only2garners said:

Blimey, did you not see him in the cup at Birmingham? At Huddersfield he spent the first half on the wing and barely touched the ball. That was an improvement on his game at Birmingham - at least at Huddersfield he wasn't messing anything up.

Strange, I thought Rothwell had a good game vs Birmingham and was our only player creating anything. 

1 hour ago, chaddyrovers said:

we aren't skint at all, But Mowbray has a budget to keep to just like any other football club or business. Dyche at Burnley has said he hasn't even been told his budget for the window yet. 

We will make signings but not spending much. Maybe 3 players in total I reckon we sign

That's why you play the waiting game and not over spend. 

Such an over reaction cos we have signed anyone yet. 

no way. Keep the academy. 

Mowbray has said and infered repeatedly that we dont have much, we dont have a warchest, that we cant replace Dack, he has spunked all the money away on shit.

That being said, I am at least glad that he is prioritising improving the attack as mentioned above but I have no faith that he can do it to be honest. How could anyone?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lie_still_Rover said:

Bet you were a fan of Jason Lowe too ?

No, Evans reads the game well, can tackle and has a wonderful first touch. He has has played fantastically well against Holland and Germany, where he did not look out of place; hence the reason O'Neil is after him.

• Like 3

I don't disagree, I think he's a good player. I've always liked him. Perhaps it's that I mentioned him with Smallwood, Bennett, et al. 

I'd certainly want a wedge for him & wouldn't be pushing for him to leave. 

My rationale was from those three we could get an upgrade on Evans.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

Mowbray has said and infered repeatedly that we dont have much, we dont have a warchest, that we cant replace Dack, he has spunked all the money away on shit.

That being said, I am at least glad that he is prioritising improving the attack as mentioned above but I have no faith that he can do it to be honest. How could anyone?

How many money and who could replace Dack? 

So we do have money then just loads of millions. So NOT skint as you said. 

I think we sign 3 players this window. 

1 hour ago, RevidgeBlue said:

I'm on about the academy U6-U16.....I don't class scholars as playing for the academy.  Can you remember one player apart from Jones and Dunn who have played at the club prior to leaving school.....they all fo come from the big clubs now anyway, like Lewis Travis

37 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

He's pretty much proved that he can't improve either the defence or attack in the transfer market.  Get shut. 

• Like 2

At 16 years old you've still a way to go before first team football. In my mind, they're Rovers academy products.. 

Phil Jones, Dunn, Duff, Beattie, Hoilett, Tiny Taylor, D. Johnson,  Fielding, O'Conell, Olsson..

Some cracking players there.

40-50 million there alone.. 

Then we've had plenty of Jon Douglas, Ben Burgess types that have forged succesful careers in the lower tiers.

Edited by Lie_still_Rover
mISTAKE

6 hours ago, JoeH said:

Brereton has cost the club about £4m as of January 2020. It could rise to £7m if we get promoted, at which point nobody would care anyway. FAR from £10m either way.

Why did the accounts show just shy of 9 million on incoming transfers for 2019 then? Not saying you're wrong but I can't see where that was spent.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Sparks Rover said:

Why? Who's come out of it who was with us before turning 16

I'd still keep it though. Just because it hasn't been churning them out recently, except Nyambe, doesn't mean it won't in future. It has before. It'd be very short-sighted to shut it down now and hamstring ourselves for the future. Especially when Academy spend is exempt from FFP.

The sensible thing to do would be to look at our processes of recruitment and development to change this story around. As I think you've suggested before. No harm in hoovering up rejects from other top academies too though.

Also worth pointing out, Buckley has been with us since 6 years old. Jake Garrett is meant to be highly rated, still 16 years old and been with us for a while. And is it Zak Gilsenan? Similar boat. Think Jack Vale has been with us a while. JRC did come to us from Manure, but would only have been about 15 at the time. Magloire been with us since about 15. I think Scott Wharton came through our academy (though can't seem to verify for sure), and although he's probably not working out for us, he seems to be at least a League footballer and may operate at this level in future. Point is, we still have a bunch who could come good yet. A proper academy system takes years to bear fruit, and I'm sure a lot of parents and agents were discouraging youngsters from signing for our circus for a while at one point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Vilesinner said:

No, Evans reads the game well, can tackle and has a wonderful first touch. He has has played fantastically well against Holland and Germany, where he did not look out of place; hence the reason O'Neil is after him.

You really love Evans dont you lol

*only his international manager (at a club lower than ours) has shown an interest in this fantastic player that you talk of. if he was that good, why is he still here?

Btw, Brereton played well once against Arsenal.

Edited by JacknOry
  • Like 1