BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

January transfer window 2020

1 hour ago, Paul Mani said:

Wow, that’s a BIG slant on Ogilvie’s ability. As most know on here I’m a glass half full kinda guy. But on my observation, Bell is one of the worst League players I have ever seen.

Almost anything would be an improvement on him imo.

Bell was playing on the left wing at Fleetwood, with his performances there getting him in the team of the year.

Mowbray has consistently played him out of position at LB. Similar theme here...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, OJRovers said:

Bell was playing on the left wing at Fleetwood, with his performances there getting him in the team of the year.

Mowbray has consistently played him out of position at LB. Similar theme here...

He was in the team of the year as a left back...

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, davulsukur said:

With Evans now out for the long term, centre mid options aren't looking great.

Travis and Johnson are basically it.

Davenport will need to step up and show if he is good enough but after that it's basically Bennett or Smallwood, neither of whome are good enough or we continue playing people out of position like Downing or Holtby.

Johnson is "ill" so reckon it'll be captain fantastic partnering Trav on Saturday. Gulp.

1 hour ago, Jlee1984 said:

Any more news on the ex player coming back, Rhodes is a no go too expensive, Gestede would be the same, There are no others apart from Rochina and Marshal who play in the positions we are looking at who are ex players

Its whittingham.......... what a player!!! 

6 hours ago, Paul Mani said:

Never. Go. Back.

Rhodes was difficult to fit into any decent teams when he had the finishing of Kylian Mbappe and first touch, pace and guile of an elephant. His goals to game ratio suggests that even the goal scoring is becoming difficult. No thanks.

How does his goals to games ratio compare to Gallagher and Brereton combined?

2 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Yep. I had to smile at a poster, who was watching a recent game on TV with his wife, who kept saying, "Why doesn't the one in the gloves try to stop the cross?"

Haha, true story - that was my wife.

Her other pearls of wisdom are:

"They always go in the lead and then let the other team score, don't they?"

"Why don't they go forwards?"

"God, he falls over easily doesn't he?" - re Gallagher

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gavlar Somerset Rover! said:

18 months left on his deal here? Can’t see us reaching any mutual agreement with that long left.

Yea but he can find a new club off his own back, we aren’t demanding a fee , free to move if he does , if not he will be a sub here until the summer an agreement will be reached then , probably with him giving a final few years to Scotland. His preference is abroad however as they can match his wages 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Butty said:

Case closed then mate if even you can’t make a case for Bell being any good at football ;) 

Hahahah I know!

Genuinely started a thing with my mate who goes to the game with me and for over 12 months I’ve watched the opposition LB and stated if I’d take them over Bell. Bell hasn’t come out on top once. Not a single time...something like 45-0.

He’s dreadful

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, Pedro said:

How does his goals to games ratio compare to Gallagher and Brereton combined?

We’re not talking about them. They’ve been crap, but I wouldn’t go back to Rhodes. We had him in his prime and I didn’t think he was all that, then. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Leonard Venkhater said:

Yep. I had to smile at a poster, who was watching a recent game on TV with his wife, who kept saying, "Why doesn't the one in the gloves try to stop the cross?"

I went to hudds with my wife and part way through the game she said. Why do we keep doing the same thing passing to them in front of our own goal

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

We’re not talking about them. They’ve been crap, but I wouldn’t go back to Rhodes. We had him in his prime and I didn’t think he was all that, then. 

If a guaranteed 20+ plus goals a season "isnt all that" then your standards must be off the scale!

• Like 2

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/transfer-news/blackburn-rovers-could-turn-youth-17581331

This is a depressing article, a suggestion that money is incredibly scarce, that we are miles off signing anyone, and that we may have to resort solely to the youth players.

The whole season just seems to have no promise or excitement to it already. The recruitment to date has been really poor, and that in turn seems to have emptied the kitty meaning that improving the squad seems an impossible job. 

Throw in the unlucky triple blow of 3 season ending injuries to first team players, one our primary goalscorer, and it seems destined to fizzle out. Stagnation at its finest under Mowbray.

2 hours ago, Jlee1984 said:

Any more news on the ex player coming back, Rhodes is a no go too expensive, Gestede would be the same, There are no others apart from Rochina and Marshal who play in the positions we are looking at who are ex players

herold goulon and hope akpan,we are getting two for the price of none

• Backroom
16 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

https://www.lancs.live/sport/football/transfer-news/blackburn-rovers-could-turn-youth-17581331

This is a depressing article, a suggestion that money is incredibly scarce, that we are miles off signing anyone, and that we may have to resort solely to the youth players.

The whole season just seems to have no promise or excitement to it already. The recruitment to date has been really poor, and that in turn seems to have emptied the kitty meaning that improving the squad seems an impossible job. 

Throw in the unlucky triple blow of 3 season ending injuries to first team players, one our primary goalscorer, and it seems destined to fizzle out. Stagnation at its finest under Mowbray.

He needs to read this forum, he’d learn we can sell Buckley for £10m and solve our issues 

• Like 5

30 minutes ago, Paul Mani said:

Me neither - at the time.  Now, I think he'd be a decent solution for Graham and would offer more than the two we've wasted money on. At the right price of course.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

If a guaranteed 20+ plus goals a season "isnt all that" then your standards must be off the scale!

I’m in agreement with mani, liked Rhodes when he was here but could see limitations with regards to pace, hold up, chances created for fellow players, he was by all intent and purposes a finisher in the box. In Scotland where I live there is a player kris boyd, scores by the barrel load, but put him in England and he is woeful because the rest of his game isn’t there. 
min right environment he is useful, not our one currently 

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, roversfan99 said:

All has a familiar feel to it. Going back to last January it was all quite similar to now. Slightly different in terms of our current form is wretched whereas in 2019 it was very good but all in all we are in a similar position in the table and all rumours and soundbites coming out are similar. I suspect we will be lucky if we sign anyone and all the excuses are ready made. No pressure to do anything and dormant owners who won't even think about Rovers until Mowbray turns up at the bungalow in a few months to try and persuade them to throw some summer funds his way.

As you say, all very dull and if you can't or won't strengthen in January the likelihood is you won't ever get promoted.

Edited by JHRover
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Bbrovers2288 said:

I’m in agreement with mani, liked Rhodes when he was here but could see limitations with regards to pace, hold up, chances created for fellow players, he was by all intent and purposes a finisher in the box. In Scotland where I live there is a player kris boyd, scores by the barrel load, but put him in England and he is woeful because the rest of his game isn’t there. 
min right environment he is useful, not our one currently 

If we are talking Rhodes in his last spell, he was absolutely brilliant here, nothing less. Ultimately all of these other smaller things, hold up, creativity, they are all geared to try and eventually get goals. Rhodes made up any deficincies there by actually scoring that additional amount of goals himself. I find it incredible that goalscoring has seemingly become an underappreciated part of a strikers armoury. Having pace, strength, flair, whatever are usually tools that are used to get the player the end product of goals, but having the brain to sniff out opportunities and the composure to then take them trumps them all. That level of consistently superb goal output meant quite rightly that his place was guaranteed.

Whether he could still score at that rate is a different question.

• Like 2

I would of had Paul Gallagher back, wanted to come back when we were relegated. 2 and 1/2 seasons later, still doing ok for northend, despite spending more time in midfield now adays.

Like downing, excellent on the ball, and good for 60 -65 minutes. We could do a lot worse given we have no cash, at least he creates goals. Think he has 5 goals in 22 games this season, which is a good return given he is not playing up front.

Edited by glen9mullan
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, Jlee1984 said:

I heard its Jason Lowe

Joke

• Like 1